• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos not quite factory anymore

zimmtex

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2010
Texas
This is my Remington 700 VTR in .308 Winchester with the following amenities:

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical scope
Butler Creek caps
4 Leupold Rifleman rings
EGW 30MOA tactical rail base
Horus Vision Angle Slope Level Indicator
Karsten's C Model saddle cheek-piece
Brownell's aluminum pillars
Tubb's Final Finish lapped barrel
aluminum reinforced for-end
Duracoat paint job
Shooter's Ridge bi-pod
homemade shooting strap

I have been working on this rifle for a while with a limited budget. The stock has given me fits, which is why I had to reinforce the for-end and open up the barrel channel. I also had to grind the monte carlo cheek-piece off when I added the saddle.

Re: not quite factory anymore

It is. I had never seen anything like it before, so I had to have it.

Doesn't look like your scope is going to go anywhere...

How does she shoot(pic's please) my buddy has one of those, he hasn't shoot it yet.

I added a picture of a typical target. I can just about always get three touching each other, then a couple of flyers for some reason. Could be shooter error, uneven bolt face, or a-concentric case necks. I don't think its barrel heat because the flyers occur completely at random. I handload each round with pretty tight tolerances, but I haven't ruled out a load problem yet. Having said all that, this rifle is reasonably accurate for the price. I just love working on it, trying to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possible.

url]
[/img]

It looks like you've put a lot of effort into it. Good job. Nothing better than a fun project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308REAPER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why four scope rings? </div></div>

Obviously the unmanageable recoil of a 308 makes the traditional 2 ring mount system insufficient to hold the scope in place. This is also something seen on other massive calibers like 243, 223 and 204.

Id swap out that bbl first. i bet all that machining is the reason for the flyers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308REAPER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why four scope rings? </div></div>

Peace of mind. I hunt with this rifle and I don't want to risk a miss or worse, a gutshot because my gun got dropped or whacked. Don't get me wrong, I try to be extremely careful with it, but accidents happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking rifle.

Your target, what range and what ammo? Hand loads? </div></div>

Target is 100 yards. I handload Hornady SST Interlock 150gr bullets with 41.9 grains of RL-15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zimmtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308REAPER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why four scope rings? </div></div>

Peace of mind. I hunt with this rifle and I don't want to risk a miss or worse, a gutshot because my gun got dropped or whacked. Don't get me wrong, I try to be extremely careful with it, but accidents happen. </div></div>

Get good rings.

4 Is just silly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308REAPER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why four scope rings? </div></div>

Obviously the unmanageable recoil of a 308 makes the traditional 2 ring mount system insufficient to hold the scope in place. This is also something seen on other massive calibers like 243, 223 and 204.</div></div> I literally laughed out loud at this. lol