• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Not your usual "which 9mm do i buy".

SDCadet

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2007
California
Alright ladies and gents, here's the deal. I have these friends, they're married and have two kids, and have recently recruited me in helping them to choose a home defense / range fun gun. Here's what we've boiled down the requirements to:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]9mm semi-auto. [*]Not lightweight, but not super heavy, the wife has trouble with recoil. [*]Night sights and probably an accessory rail for a light and/or laser (the wife will be home late at night without the husband as he's beginning a night shift schedule soon). [*]The husband likes being able to blast through a bunch of rounds without high cost, but reloading is impractical at his current home, so I recommended a pistol that has an available .22lr conversion kit. [*]Not super expensive, they've got two kids.
smile.gif
[*]Has to be CA legal, as that's where we're located.[/list]These are the pistols I've come up with so far that seem to fit the criteria:
Sig P226 or P229
Beretta M9 or 92fs
Taurus 92 series
Springfield Armory Stainless 1911 in 9mm
Kimber Stainless II 1911 in 9mm
Browning Hi-Power
Para Ordnance PX189SR
CZ 75-series

If any of you could give me some personal experiences on any of these pistols, recommend one of them over the others, or recommend some that I've missed, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Re: Not your usual "which 9mm do i buy".

Glock 19

built in rail, idiot -proof, reliable, low recoil, same trigger every shot, easier to train, dozens of accessories, resonably priced.

good luck locating one.

If I HAD to pick a 9mm I personally would go with a 92f or fs. I had one in the coast guard and do like the gun a lot.

my .02

I was going to say Sig Sauer but you said low cost so maybe the Smith and Wesson M&P. I think it has a great natural feel in hand and I think they cost new $500. The sig if you get a CPO is around $650 factory new is $800.

Glock is a reliable firearm I just don't like the way they feel in hand, to much like a box, so I can't suggest it.

I see most of what you suggested are or are kinda like the 1911 style. Do they have a preference for polymer or 1911?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to say Sig Sauer but you said low cost so maybe the Smith and Wesson M&P. I think it has a great natural feel in hand and I think they cost new $500. The sig if you get a CPO is around $650 factory new is $800.

Glock is a reliable firearm I just don't like the way they feel in hand, to much like a box, so I can't suggest it.

I see most of what you suggested are or are kinda like the 1911 style. Do they have a preference for polymer or 1911?</div></div>
No, the reason I picked those in the list was mostly for the weight and .22lr conversion kit availability. I forgot to include in the list however, that I did recommend both the P226 and P229. He really seems to like my SP2022, and has handled the other two and developed quite an affinity for them. And when I say 'low cost' I just mean excluding crazy custom guns and stuff.

I absolutely love my Kimber Tac Pro II in 9mm. Price bites a bit and it doesn't have an accessory rail for a light. Not aware that Kimber made a 9mm with a rail. I love the 1911 grip, points very naturally for me, has an incredible trigger, recoil/rise is quite manageable, good accuracy, rides nice for CCW, and has been quite reliable with the exception of 1 bad factory mag that didn't want to feed the last round (would slide lock). However, that siad, it's hard to overlook the G19 for a 1 size fits all 9mm.

All listed will do fine. I'd stay away from handguns with a safety. Unless it becomes instinct, a novice would have a difficult time should shit the fan to remember to manipulate the safety.

I'll never forget the pic of an officer shot laying on the floor of a stop and rob with his pistol in his hand. He forgot it was on "safe".

I know, I know, you 1911 guys!

I prefer the P226.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All listed will do fine. I'd stay away from handguns with a safety. Unless it becomes instinct, a novice would have a difficult time should shit the fan to remember to manipulate the safety.

I'll never forget the pic of an officer shot laying on the floor of a stop and rob with his pistol in his hand. He forgot it was on "safe".

I know, I know, you 1911 guys!

I prefer the P226.
</div></div>
Then there is the story of an officer that didn't get shot w/ his own gun because the felon couldn't figure out the safety!

Glock 17. As simple and as reliable as you can get.

Glock factory nights sights and Glock light.

Loaded with hollow point ammo from any of the big manufacturers.

Maybe a Glock 34 if it's going to be used on a range for practice.

Sniff

If I had to pick from your list I like the Sig 226 or 229. I have a Sig 226 and I can't ever remember it jamming. It also has a de-cocking device to let the hammer down. And, you are right; you can get a 22lr kit for it. They are well made.

I also like Glock 17/19 in 9mm as I have them too. But as Opiy said, it does feel like a box in your hand. That is also another weapon that I have never had jam. My 92F has had problems (mainly reloads).

When I carry a weapon I do normally choose the Glock. It has never let me.

just my 2 cents...

I own both a Beretta 92fs and a Glock 17. Within the limits and desired features listed, the Glock would be my first choice. Rail? Check. Night sights? Check, and if it doesn't have them, Glock nights sights are easy to install. Good recoil pulse, easy to teach how to use properly, safe without an external safety to fumble with. Remember, the fact that a non professional will be using it, so they wouldn't be constantly training with it.
Also, check around and find a dealer that takes police trade-ins. My Glock started life with either the state patrol or the local PD. It was like new and not a mark on her, doubt it was fired more than qualifying.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Beretta. But for price and features, the Glock is hard to beat.
The only upgrades I've performed to my Glock was a 3.5 # trigger bar and a steel guide rod assembly, both from Lone Wolf. A bit of hand polishing, and it is problem free. (Wasn't bad before, just a bit smoother now.)
22 cal conversion kits are available for both as well.

Vote for the Glock as well.
Probably one of the cheapest
Light rail
Night sights
9mm is a pussycat in recoil
Light weight
Seems to fit all the criteia and may even be dishwasher safe
grin.gif

Seriously, this decision may ultimatly hinge on the ergonomics for the lady.
I hope a safe storage area and training for the kids is also in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vote for the Glock as well.
Probably one of the cheapest
Light rail
Night sights
9mm is a pussycat in recoil
Light weight
Seems to fit all the criteia and may even be dishwasher safe
grin.gif

Seriously, this decision may ultimatly hinge on the ergonomics for the lady.
I hope a safe storage area and training for the kids is also in order.

</div></div>

He bought a safe about a month ago. The kids are both under 3 years old.

The biggest problem they have with Glocks are the aesthetics and ergonomics. Yes it's a great beginner gun but I think he wants something a little more...sturdy? I know Glocks will go through hell and still shoot, but he doesn't seem to like the high tolerances and clunky feel - y'know? So, I don't anticipate him being down for a Glock, but I'll bring it up with him.

Glock 19
It's cheap, very simple and very reliable...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 19
It's cheap, very simple and very reliable... </div></div>

Not CHEAP anymiore....................over $500.00

I like the Springfield XD. Can be had for $450-$500 (old model, not XDM). Rail, grip safety, tactile cocking indicator, tactile loaded chamber indicator, simple to field strip, similar ergonomics to 1911. The ability to run your hand over the slide in pitch dark and asess that you are cocked and loaded is one of my favorite features. I often have my XD laying on the side table or near the door, and my wife likes being able to assess the condition of the pistol without having to rack the slide or press-check which can be hard for a woman to do.
My $0.02...

Of all you listed, ALL are likely TOO heavy for a 90% +/- of many women.
What's her size, stature?.
Hand size.
Suggest a G17, 19, w/ a Laser maxk.............
Cheap ammo is a thing of the past.......
Fo, a AA .22LR conv kit....$230.00 will fit that bill.
That's my take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all you listed, ALL are likely TOO heavy for a 90% +/- of many women.
What's her size, stature?.
Hand size.
Suggest a G17, 19, w/ a Laser maxk.............
Cheap ammo is a thing of the past.......
Fo, a AA .22LR conv kit....$230.00 will fit that bill.
That's my take.</div></div>

Well the thing with the weight was to help reduce recoil, she seems to have more of a problem with that than the weight of the gun. She's an average-sized gal, not petite but not man-sized either, I trust she'd be able to handle most pistols.

But I am pushing the Glock thing a little stronger now...just a lot of factors that make it beneficial for their situation. So we'll see.

G19, on the outside chance concealment might some day become a possibility, who knows maybe pigs will fly one day, or...

G17, cause they are so "generic" and everyone should own one, but...

Especially a G34 for the greater sight radius, reduced muzzle flip, slightly less recoil, slight boost in velocity to help out that 9mmP, better trigger control, yadayadayada...

With any of them, add a set of Tritium NS, an IT M3 light or M6 light/laser to the rail and get an Advantage Arms .22LR upper unit to take some of the $$$ sting out of the necessary practice.

All tactical tupperware jokes aside, the friggin things work and work and work, and that's what we all need first.

All the fire breathing power, gnats ass accuracy, solid steel construction and "classic looks" don't come into play unless and until it works and works and works...

JMHO, and BTW, worth what you paid for it...

Go to a local indoor pistol range with her. Rent out a few & see which she likes & fits her hand. Usually the Glock 19 or the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm win favor with the ladies.

My wife loves the Glock 19 and the M&P Compact. Both are the right size and don't feel as blocky as the other frames do. Plus, they're easy to conceal for a mid-full sized handgun (13 to 15 rounds).

My vote is for the P229 - you get the "shootability", feel + balance of the legendary P228, but a tad bit heavier/more robust slide... which allows one to run +P, +P+ without much more felt recoil over the P228 and thus makes it a great defensive HG (for a 9mm) IMHO.

My preference is for the P229 SAS Gen 2 (melted down slide, SRT trigger and no rail), but in view of your request I recommend that your friends pick up the new P229 which has a rail and a 22LR slide + 2 mags for around $425-499 (I think the model # is 229R-22-BAS)... this pkg comes with a coupon for the P229 9mm slide for $399ish. Going this way allows your friends to pick up a P229 with a 22LR conversion for ~$825-899.

The Springfield XD9 or Glock 17/19 would get my vote. Both have rails, both are reliable, both are "relatively" inexpensive. I love my Glock 17. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's XD .45 Tactical last week, and even with 230gr loads, the recoil was very minimal. I can only imagine that the 4" or 5" 9mm would be very comfortable for anyone to shoot.

From your list, I'd stay away from the Taurus and the CZ. They make good guns, but those are the only two there that I've heard firsthand from people who had "a lot" of problems with them. Limiting my pick to your list, I'd go with either of the Sigs (for the light rail) or the Kimber or Springfield 1911 styles, because they're tried and proven over and over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpha_Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the P229 - you get the "shootability", feel + balance of the legendary P228, but a tad bit heavier/more robust slide... which allows one to run +P, +P+ without much more felt recoil over the P228 and thus makes it a great defensive HG (for a 9mm) IMHO.

My preference is for the P229 SAS Gen 2 (melted down slide, SRT trigger and no rail), but in view of your request I recommend that your friends pick up the new P229 which has a rail and a 22LR slide + 2 mags for around $425-499 (I think the model # is 229R-22-BAS)... this pkg comes with a coupon for the P229 9mm slide for $399ish. Going this way allows your friends to pick up a P229 with a 22LR conversion for ~$825-899. </div></div>
This is perhaps the best idea thus far... But then he'd have to get the night sights installed on the X-Change kit's slide, right? Cuz it doesn't say that it comes with night sights...still though, even after installing night sights, that's less than the $1400 or so it would come out to if he bought the P229 in 9mm then the .22 conversion kit...
Anybody else have more info on this?

In that case, snag a G26, w/ a Laser Max.............

I have found most all SUB COMPACT Glocks have LESS muzzle flip, and are more accurate than their longer barreled bro's........

The pistol sits SO close to the axis of the wrist, and the shorter barrels are a lot less to FLIP.

I can shoot a G29, or a G27, more acccurately at Self Defense ranges than the full size..simply because of the muzzle flip elimination.(less)

They seem to be a PART of your arm, and extension of iot, if you will.

Sig P226 or P229. Having carried a Glock 19 for several years I really miss having a rock solid Sig on my side.

Aside from all the other suggestions, which are all good btw, how about a Ruger SR9? I have and still shoot the XD, the Beretta, the CZ, the Glock. My wife finally decided to take an interest in my affliction and I bought her(me) the SR9 to try out and practice with. She's got medium size paws and the gun sits real low in her hand and as she puts it: "I can actually hit something with this one." I am not sure about the night sight availability for them yet but the rail is standard. Mine has digested about 1500 rounds of ball,golden sabre,and hydroshock with no hitch or ftf,fte. The accuracy is there if she does her part. Retail at my shop was listed as $550.00 Just another thought fwiw.

I'm no glock fan but a guy at work here recently bou ght one - fits his wife's hands well, the damn thing was INCREDIBLY accurate, easy to shoot.

I'd add that to your list - it's somewhat concealable as well.

SA XD9 V10.... ported for her pleasure..... I like the way the XD's point for me better than the Glocks, but have one of those too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 19
It's cheap, very simple and very reliable... </div></div>

Not CHEAP anymiore....................over $500.00 </div></div>

For the most part I'd agree with you here. But it depends on where you purchase. I bought another one a month or so ago 489 + Tax NIB. These prices are not the norm any longer.

Sorry to be a prude, but there are dozens of threads discussing this. Also, conversion kits are nice but I'd say buy two guns.

Your top pick and a good .22

It is very hard to refute the "More is Better" doctrine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to be a prude, but there are dozens of threads discussing this.</div></div>
I asked a specific question, expecting specific answers, and specific experiences. Find me a thread that asked my very question with my parameters. That's why I asked it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very hard to refute the "More is Better" doctrine.</div></div>
Tell that to a young middle-class family with two kids under 3 yrs. old and a mortgage. More guns = more cost. Also, you seem to be ignoring the value of .22 training with the same platform.

Not trying to be a d***, just saying...

I would avoid Sigs. New shooters should not be shooting a DA/SA firearm.

Pick something with a consistent trigger pull. The Glock 17/19/34 are probably your best bet for cheap, reliable, and learning one trigger pull.

you didnt mention how much shooting/training the both of them would be doing. if its just a buy and bring out at night, then i would suggest a S&W 38spl centennial or bodyguard. teach them to shoot it with a flashlight or buy the crimson trace grips. IMO, you want to keep it VERY simple, reloads are very cheap and great factory high performance ammo is available. remember, you dont ever want to shoot an intruder with reloads, especially in Kali.
that said, if your set on a semi auto, get a point and shoot double action only. i really like the Kahr, and the Glock now make the slim frame or SF pistols. be sure to practice with the ammo your going to have in the gun at home. shoot as many different types you can, Cor-Bon, Federal Hydrashok, etc. and practice, practice, practice.
i realize you wanted to be able to get a .22 top end, but i'd rather put the money into ammo, training, and range time. just my .02. good luck--cam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tell that to a young middle-class family with two kids under 3 yrs. old and a mortgage. More guns = more cost. Also, you seem to be ignoring the value of .22 training with the same platform. Not trying to be a d***, just saying... </div></div>

I understand. Kind of. I opened your profile and there is a picture of bleached woman with her underwear pulled down. I told my young wife with 2 kids under 2 that I must leave for 7 months to protect the national efforts. She understood. I came back and then did it again. She knows a bit about security though. I purchased quite a few of my guns before I ever owned a computer. Drop your internet time and buy security if you must. Not trying to be honestly offensive...

just saying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tell that to a young middle-class family with two kids under 3 yrs. old and a mortgage. More guns = more cost. Also, you seem to be ignoring the value of .22 training with the same platform. Not trying to be a d***, just saying... </div></div>

I understand. Kind of. I opened your profile and there is a picture of bleached woman with her underwear pulled down. I told my young wife with 2 kids under 2 that I must leave for 7 months to protect the national efforts. She understood. I came back and then did it again. She knows a bit about security though. I purchased quite a few of my guns before I ever owned a computer. Drop your internet time and buy security if you must. Not trying to be honestly offensive...

just saying....</div></div>
Am I the only one that doesn't understand what that's supposed to say?

In any case, I appreciate your efforts at helping me. And I think you're implicating some past military service - so thanks for that too - I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tell that to a young middle-class family with two kids under 3 yrs. old and a mortgage. More guns = more cost. Also, you seem to be ignoring the value of .22 training with the same platform. Not trying to be a d***, just saying... </div></div>

just saying.... </div></div>

I don't know what you just said man... but you're special. Really, you reached out...and you touched me deeply.

Glock 17 would be my first choice. If I have to choose from your list it would be a 92 for me then a very close second would be a 226.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand. Kind of. I opened your profile and there is a picture of bleached woman with her underwear pulled down. I told my young wife with 2 kids under 2 that I must leave for 7 months to protect the national efforts. She understood. I came back and then did it again. She knows a bit about security though. I purchased quite a few of my guns before I ever owned a computer. Drop your internet time and buy security if you must. Not trying to be honestly offensive...

Wait. I'm confused.

You left for 7 months, came back, and opened Freuer Frei's profile to look at the blonde again? Hell, you could have sent me a PM. I have a TON of her! No need to just check out a little profile pic...Want me to toss her onto your profile too?

Not exactly sure what his profile pic has to do with a 9mm anyway, but hey...Someone's got to eat all those mushrooms, right?

confused.gif

You are not the only one.

I do not try to be understood. I try to question. Nor, am I "implicating," as in "involve as a consequence" some military service. I only "served" 25 years. And, I was just an infantryman. What the heck can you do with that? Be a guard at Target? Carwash...? Working as a carwasher...? No need to thank me. I never cared what people thought. It is what I was called to do.

"Here's the deal." It is kind of difficult for me to understand your request to help a family that cannot post for themselves and then list weapons that are fairly expensive for people trying to raise children in California. Why can't they post? Your posts have seemed DUMB. It might be more helpful to hear from them.

Night sight, rail, laser, not super expensive, .22 conversion kit...

Sorry, I have wasted my time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tell that to a young middle-class family with two kids under 3 yrs. old and a mortgage. More guns = more cost. Also, you seem to be ignoring the value of .22 training with the same platform. Not trying to be a d***, just saying... </div></div>

I don't know what you just said man... but you're special. Really, you reached out...and you touched me deeply.

</div></div>

Wil, you are very deeply touching as well.

Wil. You have no idea how stressful it is to maintain the security at Target. People are always trying to walk out of there with free stuff. I am always a bit mad at night when I get off work...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are not the only one.

I do not try to be understood. I try to question. Nor, am I "implicating," as in "involve as a consequence" some military service. I only "served" 25 years. And, I was just an infantryman. What the heck can you do with that? Be a guard at Target? Carwash...? Working as a carwasher...? No need to thank me. I never cared what people thought. It is what I was called to do.

"Here's the deal." It is kind of difficult for me to understand your request to help a family that cannot post for themselves and then list weapons that are fairly expensive for people trying to raise children in California. Why can't they post? Your posts have seemed DUMB. It might be more helpful to hear from them.

Night sight, rail, laser, not super expensive, .22 conversion kit...

Sorry, I have wasted my time.

</div></div>
I'm so very, very confused.

Um, I'm doing the research for them because they're busy and don't know a lot about firearms, so I'm helping them out. I also gave he and his wife their introductory firearms lessons & safety instruction, so they kind of come to me with these questions. So uh...yeah. I don't think they have much interest in becoming as involved as I am in the online community.

I thanked you for your efforts at assisting me. Calling me dumb, or rather, DUMB, was kinda unnecessary, but hey, to each his own.

Moving right along...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cmonroe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 17 would be my first choice. If I have to choose from your list it would be a 92 for me then a very close second would be a 226.</div></div>
I'm working the Glock thing, we'll see. He's kinda got a hard-on for the Sigs now. So we'll see. I'm surprised to hear someone choose the 92 over the 226, first time I've seen that I think. What makes you say it?

Man, I am not helpful because I am opinionated in certain areas. Your constant totem, for instance. Do not choose death man unless it is a unit or something or value not worth dishonoring. If you are responsible for a flag perhaps, such as regiments have handed down forever, or family or special friends or the US Constitution, I understand.

Anyway, your friends you want to help. Cool. I am a Sigg fan for reliability and my wife is comfortable shooting it (P226). Hard to go wrong there. (I am comfortably in my writing chair and mine is not more than a foot away). BUT, I recommend that they take a few more weeks of payments and add a .22 pistol for them to train and be comfortable with. Now, they have two guns, and the .22 is not the best auto load for combat in CQB and such but it is more hardy for losers than there are statistics you can read. Later, they can buy the conversion kit for the Sigg. All the accoutrements are extras. Lasers and flashlights and neon oh my...

But, I would add the Rem 870 before buying the conversion kit.