• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Not your usual "which 9mm do i buy".

Re: Not your usual "which 9mm do i buy".

I should have said up front that I am very busy trying to complete a novel, when I am not at work. So the lack of sleep makes me DUMB, although I prefer to think of it with the last syllable being emphasized dumB.

The advice I offer with personal defense weapons is simple. Go to a local range and try out all they have available to rent before buying. Pick the one you are most comfortable with that drops the size animals that may aggress you. Then, buy a great .22 as a backup that you can shoot all day long. Marksmanship is marksmanship, in simple terms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have said up front that I am very busy trying to complete a novel, when I am not at work. So the lack of sleep makes me DUMB, although I prefer to think of it with the last syllable being emphasized dumB. </div></div>

dibs on a copy once you're finished...

Costs are relative. I never would have guessed that you would have to pay 20 grand for a basic travel to work device. Now, send me the number of that girl in your profile. I am looking to start a new mission an Kenya. She will need some trainin'...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Costs are relative. I never would have guessed that you would have to pay 20 grand for a basic travel to work device. Now, send me the number of that girl in your profile. I am looking to start a new mission an Kenya. She will need some trainin'...</div></div>
Ask Megacab, I'm fairly certain he's her pimp.
wink.gif

That bleached blond would worship me if she even spent a weekend working my yard.

LOL. I remain somewhat conservative and traditional, although I joke. My bride has stuck by me for 20+ years next month.

If I have offended you in any way, laugh, and then multiply it by 365 and then 20. Add a factor of 10, multiply it by 2 and then copy and paste the formula over and over until you can print out enough paper to form a dodecahedron. Tape it together and then add 2lb fishing line so that you can hang it under a ceiling light. Turn the light on bright and then, jumping off one foot, get it spinning as fast as you can. Then, sing Onward Christian Soldiers as you try to shoot off the 8th points with your your new .22 pistol, and once you realize this is harder than you thought, call me and I'll admit that I do not really have a good clue as to how it all works...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That bleached blond would worship me if she even spent a weekend working my yard.

LOL. I remain somewhat conservative and traditional, although I joke. My bride has stuck by me for 20+ years next month.

If I have offended you in any way, laugh, and then multiply it by 365 and then 20. Add a factor of 10, multiply it by 2 and then copy and paste the formula over and over until you can print out enough paper to form a dodecahedron. Tape it together and then add 2lb fishing line so that you can hang it under a ceiling light. Turn the light on bright and then, jumping off one foot, get it spinning as fast as you can. Then, sing Onward Christian Soldiers as you try to shoot off the 8th points with your your new .22 pistol, and once you realize this is harder than you thought, call me and I'll admit that I do not really have a good clue as to how it all works...</div></div>
Nooooow I get it.
laugh.gif

Arch, someday I hope we meet, I want to shake your hand and give you a hug for all the humor you've shared, I LOL often at your posts.

On the subject at hand, either get the Sig if that's what you and them are set on, people suggest Glocks and the conversation goes back to Sigs, which is fine....it's their gun not ours.

However, if they did their own research, they'd read all the Glock suggestions, all the reliability tests, etc etc. They need to at least shoot a Glock before making the decision.

Make them shoot in a defensive situation, not casually at the line, taking time, talking between shots, etc etc. Have them shoot quick first DA shots, then follow up SA shots, etc etc. As mentioned before, the Glock trigger is a constant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense, but I'll bet you don't.

How many 8th points on a dodecahedron? 00:31 Wed Morning</div></div>
Oh I didn't say I got your instructions. Just you. To some degree at least. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arch, someday I hope we meet, I want to shake your hand and give you a hug for all the humor you've shared, I LOL often at your posts.

On the subject at hand, either get the Sig if that's what you and them are set on, people suggest Glocks and the conversation goes back to Sigs, which is fine....it's their gun not ours.

However, if they did their own research, they'd read all the Glock suggestions, all the reliability tests, etc etc. They need to at least shoot a Glock before making the decision.

Make them shoot in a defensive situation, not casually at the line, taking time, talking between shots, etc etc. Have them shoot quick first DA shots, then follow up SA shots, etc etc. As mentioned before, the Glock trigger is a constant.</div></div>
I'm by no means minimizing the Glock suggestions, I've talked to him about it a little but haven't had a chance to really discuss it in length with him, I'm planning on doing so. I am taking your guys' suggestions into account, trust me, that's why I asked it here!
smile.gif

Revolver GP100 or the like. Train with light .38's then load up some .357 for night duty. Super safe goes bang every time and if it doesn't you just pull the trigger again. Very easy to manipulate. Easy to shoot. Holds its value. "If" you like laser than you can get a grip. They are plentiful and if you get a Smith and Wesson you don't need to do ANY trigger work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm working the Glock thing, we'll see. He's kinda got a hard-on for the Sigs now. So we'll see. I'm surprised to hear someone choose the 92 over the 226, first time I've seen that I think. What makes you say it? </div></div>

I don't know why anyone would give a Sig or a Beretta 92 to a woman. Neither is well suited to girly hands. The only thing good about the Sig is that it doesn't have a safety, so they won't have to worry about making it go bang.

The Glocks don't exactly have narrow single stack grips, but they are still thinner than the Sig or Beretta.

Hell I'm a man and the Beretta is so fat that I can't even hold onto it. The Sig is marginally better to the point that it's usable.

Moving right along...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cmonroe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 17 would be my first choice. If I have to choose from your list it would be a 92 for me then a very close second would be a 226.</div></div>
I'm working the Glock thing, we'll see. He's kinda got a hard-on for the Sigs now. So we'll see. I'm surprised to hear someone choose the 92 over the 226, first time I've seen that I think. What makes you say it? [/quote]

I carried one as my personal weapon for about ten years until rolling with Glocks. I was impressed with its accuracy and reliability and very few issues considering the amount of rounds fire with it. To tell you the truth she still lives in the office here.

Feuer Frei - I think you're right. The coupon/x-change slide comes with std sights. If I were swaping out, I'd go with a ghost ring rear sight and a night sight/trijicon front post (did this with my p220 which I keep in my nightstand - http://www.entreprise.com/sigo.htm (these guys have since sold out of the ghosts, but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about)). Even if you pay a smith to swap out the sights, you're under $1250 if you get into this stuff right...

Well thanks for everybody's help.

He acted on impulse and bought a "never fired" Taurus 608 4" on consignment from a local shop.
laugh.gif

Guess we all have to learn somehow. And in all honesty it's not that bad of a decision. His wife can shoot .38s and should have an easier time with the operation of the revolver. Anybody know where we can get night sights or a laser or something for this? I know Crimson Trace doesn't make anything for the 608.

I'm gonna get him the Wolff spring pack for it to clean up the trigger and hammer, any speedloaders out there?

Thanks again guys.

Edit: Found out Maxfire makes a speedloader for it, we'll snag him one or two of those.