• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nucleus Orders

Using a Savage prefit should be no different than swapping a barrel on a Savage. A barrel vise I believe will suffice and a receiver tool is probably not necessary. @Jon_ARC , Jon can shed some light I’m sure.

Jealous of the west coast guys. Mine shipped same time but won't be in till next Friday.

Very glad yours came with Mausingfield bolt knob.

Echo... echo... is that not exactly what I said?
I don't think so. I may have misread your original post, but an action wrench isn't needed in a Barrel nut assembly ( I worded my reply poorly).

You won the SH Nucleus thread comp!

What we really are after is how it feels compared to any custom action. Smoothness, bolt opening, bolt closing... Pro's, cons, you know, that kind of thing.

Just to be clear, the action is at my gunsmith, so I don't have it in hand. I asked him what he thought of it and he said the bolt lift was fast and smooth, and comparable to the Surgeon he built me.

I try not to get wrapped up too much in action ergonomics, especially on a clean action without a trigger. Pretty much every custom action is going to feel good, and if there are flaws, you probably won't notice them until it gets dirty, or people start having issues with different triggers. Even on actions I already have my ideas on which one is the best changes on any day of the week; sometimes it's my Sako TRG because it's a Super Mag action that has a bolt throw like a .22LR. Sometimes it's the Winchester 70 because it's got a magical claw. Sometimes it's the Surgeon because I shot well with it.

Nor do I get wrapped up in features; they are technically cool. Controlled round feed is cool. Swappable bolt heads are cool. Compared to the Surgeon it is better from a technical perspective. There is nothing technically cool about the Surgeon.

However the complete execution of the Surgeon action and KMW Sentinel stock has proven to be boringly reliable for all of the match shooting I do. It does exactly what I want it to.

The action shouldn't get all of the credits, nor the stock, nor any of the other pieces. My stuff works generally because I demand it to, and a lot of what I do is prioritizes simplicity, reliability, and redundancy.

My action is scheduled for delivery on Friday thanks to the Holliday and I’m on the east coast. Short,308 RH. My barrel from PVA is due in today. 6.5 creed button med Palma. Sucks that the action wrenches are estimated at July 20th.

Reactions: diverdon
My action is scheduled for delivery on Friday thanks to the Holliday and I’m on the east coast. Short,308 RH. My barrel from PVA is due in today. 6.5 creed button med Palma. Sucks that the action wrenches are estimated at July 20th.
When did you order your PVA barrel if you don't mind me asking?

Whahoooo! These are nice. I am pretty pleased.

Will get more pics and maybe a video later tonight. Measurements also.
20180702_113408.jpg
20180702_113859.jpg

Started the paperwork on mine this morning. The bolt lift was much stiffer than I recall from the one I handled at SHOT. Hopefully, it will break in a bit after assembly. Just waiting for my PVA group-buy barrel and Geissele Super 700 trigger.

Started the paperwork on mine this morning. The bolt lift was much stiffer than I recall from the one I handled at SHOT. Hopefully, it will break in a bit after assembly. Just waiting for my PVA group-buy barrel and Geissele Super 700 trigger.
Did you go Barloc or are you waiting on a wrench? I never figured the action wrench would be the fly in my ointment.

Was considering one of those. May just be patient as I have a new sr3 to keep me busy in the meantime.

Did you go Barloc or are you waiting on a wrench? I never figured the action wrench would be the fly in my ointment.

I need a wrench. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done the PVA group buy as I can't use it with the shouldered barloc I also bought. At this point, I think I'll be waiting for the trigger long after. I may have to buy a Timney to hold me over.

Last edited:
Reactions: D2junky
I need a wrench. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done the PVA group buy as I can't use it with the shouldered barloc I also bought. At this point, I think I'll be waiting for the trigger long after. I may have to buy a Timney to hold me over.
Ditto. Although I didn’t buy a shouldered Barloc. Now that I have a Barloc in hand and see how it works it makes more sense.

Just a few pics... I will do a video and more pics later.

Barloc is so easy. Action was really tight threads, I worked it in slowly by hand. A few times and it went in stiffly, but easy.

McRees chassis, ARC medium (28mm) rings on a 20 moa base, Mk 5 5-25x56. I have about 8.5 mm between a Shillen Varmint contour and my scope bell.

Bolt lift is smooth, and easy. Not super light, I can manage it with one finger while the others push against the stock. I only have Savage to compare it to. Throw is short.

Feeds good with a dummy round. My first control round feed, you need a little more authority if you don't feed from the mag to snap over the extractor.
20180702_214036.jpg
20180702_214045.jpg
20180702_204733.jpg
20180702_204020.jpg
20180702_204210.jpg
20180702_203053.jpg

Can someone post a vid on installing a barrel and using the Barloc. I'm still confused between should and non-shouldered barrels.

a shouldered barrel can use any barrel contour

the non-shouldered (nut) version is for savage shank pre-fits

Last edited:
Looks like the bolt release may have been redesigned a bit from the protype? I believe the SHOT model was teardropped shaped, while this one looks to be circular. How easy is it to articulate?

Reactions: hereinaz
I will get that measurement.

Yes, bolt release is now a knurled knob, and it is easy to manipulate. There is a short learning curve to figure out where the notch behind the 12:00 lug is for the bolt stop to rotate, but when it is in the right position it is simple