• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nuke some fleas

Dot3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
NC
Y’all got any advice on handling fleas in and around a dog pen? My poor dogs are fucked. I’ve tried flea baths, permethrin dips, sevin dust, frontline, advantix, I’ve sprayed the whole yard 3 or 4 times with permethrin and once with something else. Centrix or something like that. Short of burning the whole things down, anybody got any magic pill?

the internet is no help. It wants me to go all natural and put the fleas in timeout.

I can't offer advice, but am wondering where you're located.

Fleas had been a HORRENDOUS problem for the past few years, but I haven't had a single one this year (I'm in Atlanta..) And I am not exaggerating - not a single one. Same with my ex, who lives a few miles away. No treatment on our pets whatsoever.

I polled a few on another forum and they reported the same. Like they just vanished. Wuhan-flu killed 'em?

I give my dog bravecto it's good for 3 months or so. Before it was banned by dot gov I would spray the yard with diazinom. It would stink for a day or so but I didn't have a problem with fleas, ticks, knats or any other pests. I did the front yard and a couple days later the back. I didn't put the dogs in the freshly sprayed.
Anyway. The bravecto works for me. $60 for three to four months is worth it.
I have heard that adding apple cider vinegar to their water works once you get them used to drinking it.

I have access to lots of borax

Bifen was on the short list

Will definitely look into Tempo, trifexis and bravecto. Thank you so far

Used Happy Jack long ago “permethrin” was ok. Malathion or Demon should work just follow the label. Other things already listed.
Pay attention to treat loose dirt/sandy areas. Places dogs like to lay. Around kennel, under porches or Morgan buildings, bases of shade trees etc.

Reactions: MtnCreek
Like others said Trifexis for the dog and Bifen or Demon WP on the ground.

I always would get two different varietals and mix them about 4x what the directions call for and spray the shit out of everything. Don’t stop till an animal falls out the sky.

you could try sulfer sprinkled around your pets outside pen saw a video showing bears rolling around in volcanic soil to help keep flees of them in Russia . It may be only a personal feeling but I would not feed it to my pets even in small quantities also heard wiping dogs and cats in ash can help keep pesky thing like ticks and flees off em . Sulfur is not a pesticide it is merely a natural prevention method for flea control on dogs how true or not it is you would have to judge for your self .

Is there anyways the whole pen can be elevated off the ground? It doesn't have to be by much because fleas don't jump high they just jump far (for their size at least).

I grew up with a big pack of bear hounds and we had periodic flea issues in the pen and dog houses. My dad would spray the whole pen and the insides of the dog houses with diesel. Wiped them out every single time, keeping the dog shit cleaned up ever single day also made a big difference.

If one dog had a particularly bad case of fleas, the old man would wash the fucking dog with diesel. Worked like a charm. It's not the proper way to go about it I'm sure but it works.

Note to anyone who sheds a tear over washing a mutt with diesel, my dad had zero fucks to give.

I grew up with a big pack of bear hounds and we had periodic flea issues in the pen and dog houses. My dad would spray the whole pen and the insides of the dog houses with diesel. Wiped them out every single time, keeping the dog shit cleaned up ever single day also made a big difference.

If one dog had a particularly bad case of fleas, the old man would wash the fucking dog with diesel. Worked like a charm. It's not the proper way to go about it I'm sure but it works.

Note to anyone who sheds a tear over washing a mutt with diesel, my dad had zero fucks to give.
I’ve thought about it…just can’t hit the whole yard with diesel. Not worried about the grass but the price! I’ve painted many a fence board with 50/50 diesel/used oil to keep horses from cribbing on it though

You could hold up a picture of pelosi or waters. That’ll scare the spots off a Dalmatian. Or given that they’re parasites, maybe the fleas will follow their Queen parasite and you can chuck it into a lake.

My dogs had them really bad a few years ago. We have lots of stray cats too, and they were all flea ridden as well. I applied predatory nematodes to the entire property with a tank sprayer the next spring. The amount of nematodes I would see in samples with my microscope was pretty high for the next two years, higher than before the application. I haven't checked any sample this year, but I still haven't been over run by fleas again either. It was a wet year too, so it would have been a prime year for fleas. I don't give the dogs any flea treatments other than a bath with dawn dish soap now and then. Suds the dog up, take him for a 20 minute walk, then hose him down.

Put the dogs on a monthly flea/heartworm med. Keep the ground hot with permethrin and hit it every week or two with malithion. You can wash the dogs with permethrin, but pay atten to mixture rate; it's not the same as spraying the lot. My guess is you're killing a bunch of fleas but not breaking the life cycle.

Reactions: Ravenworks
With an infestation it takes times and diligence to break the cycle. Most of the time when people have trouble getting rid of pest it is because of exactly what is written above this post. They are not breaking the life cycle. There are probably dozens of Fleas changing stages every day. The highest concentrations will be where the dogs sleep and lay. If the dogs come in the house vacuum vacuum vacuum.

The maximum spray interval I would use getting them under control would be 5 days. I would do every three days, for a couple weeks to break down the infestation. If malathion will kill fleas, its not super harsh. I wouldn't want Tempo sprayed all over my dog pins. Can you move your dogs to temporary pins for a week or so, while you get the fleas in their pin under control?

5-20 days from larvae to pupa. That means if you killed all the fleas today, they will still be popping up for over 20 days, unless you get the eggs, larvae, and pupa also.

Without a doubt, if I had the problem, I'd spray the entire yard with Malathion and treat the dogs with whatever 12 week flea control the vet recommends. I've used it to kill bed bugs that filthy tenants left for me and it worked wonderfully.

Last edited:
This is gonna sound strange but if you spray Dawn Dish Detergent in the yard, the fleas will be gone over night.
I’m skeptical, but at what rate? How do you mix it?

I got some poison for the fire ants that worked well

Problem is they were eating the fleas.

bravecto it's worth it. The over the counter stuff is all crap, all of it.

Go to the vet get bravecto and be done with fleas on the dogs in hours. Usually lasts 4 months .

i don't know about treating the area, but my vet told me fleas can be tolerant of drops like frontline and we found Comfortis to work much better.

I have called in a script for bravecto, got some tempo otw, and will still spray with dawn too

Buy Dominion L from eBay for under $30, a termiticide, which has as its active ingredient Imidacloprid. This is the same active ingredient as Advantage.

You need some oral syringes of at least 5-10cc size.

Draw 1cc Dominion L into the syringe and then approximately 4-6 cc of warm water. Shake well and apply to skin just like Advantage.

The 28oz bottle will last a long time. Treat bi-weekly for 8 weeks or so if you have a pretty serious problem, then monthly.

Remember, fleas have a life cycle and your pet becomes the tool to kill them. Your pet moving in his environment causes flea eggs to hatch. It will take a little time to break the cycle. Fleas die within hours of contact.

It must be on skin, run the syringe tip against the fur and make sure to get it to skin. Rub it in, rub some on the belly. It is very safe and works like gangbusters.

People who have lots of hunting dogs cannot afford flea meds for them all, my old vet is who told me about this a long time ago. Everyone who I tell and who then does it comes back thanking me.

I use on dogs and cats alike. We were also at the end of our rope when we were told and we have never had any issue since.

Imidacloprid is systemic, it works by getting in the skin. It also is a fantastic treatment for areas outdoors and in. Read the label, mix and spray it where the issues are.

Good luck.

Last edited:
iu