• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

NYC Trip this weekend??

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
I know i can't carry concealed in the state but can i carry a knife? Tried to google for some info but not much i could find to point me in a right direction. I was looking to at least carry something like a fixed blade knife but not sure of the legality issues??? Thanks for the help i will be leaving tonight...........nothing like waiting until the last minute LOL!!

Re: NYC Trip this weekend??

If you want to come to NYC and comply with the law, leave the knife home, then buy what you want in NYC. That's about as legal as it gets.

I work in Manhatten in the NYPD you don't need a knife. The city is pretty safe probably better than most. You can't spit without hitting a cop. Can't have a knife over 4in,gravity knife or switchblade. Keep all the toys at home. Enjoy the trip.

*THIS WAS NOT LEGAL!!!*
I've carried my P239 in N.Y.(Brooklyn specifically) a few times (drove in- did not fly). If you follow the mentality of "concealed means concealed", no one will ever know. And if you ever were in the situation where you would need to use such a thing- "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

again
*THIS WAS NOT LEGAL* (yet- please god pass HR 822)

Actually, as someone who travelled the NYC subways system daily for going on 40 years, I never found myself in a situation where a weapon might hav=e been an out and out necessity.

Folks who carry weapons may approach potentialy dangerous situations differently, and I can't really say it's any better than being unarmed, knowing it, and choosing one's options accordingly.

'Better safe than sorry' and choosing another path has probably helped me out more times than I know.

Greg

I can endorse what Brian has said: Indeed, you can't spit without hitting an NYPD officer. And, I can further endorse how safe it is, even when carrying, quite openly, about 2k worth of Nikon camera gear while walking the streets of Manhattan as far South as Columbia Circle, and as far North as 78th Street, as well as throughout Central Park, both East and West sides. That said,

Now, some of NYPD look 18, and I frankly don't know how some of them passed uniform or equipment load-out muster - on my last trip I saw one walking about with his S&W 5906 in his holster without the retention strap secured, belt hanging about 2" below his fat waist, and otherwise looking like a blue-uniformed Boy Scout slob - but, I digress. Hardly awe-inspiring. I was tempted to go up and tell him to fucking square-the-fuck-away, but I didn't.

So, yes, leave your toys at home. I too believe there are only 25 States. Oh, and the defense to the use of an illegally carried firearm in a deadly force confrontation would be the "Doctrine of Competing Harms."

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. and the defense to the use of an illegally carried firearm in a deadly force confrontation would be the "Doctrine of Competing Harms."

HTH </div></div>

I knew there was a Doctrine for this- however the name was escaping me last night- and I was too lazy to search for it.

I hear ya, SIG700. I got too much time on my hands
laugh.gif

For all those here who may think that DOCH protects against illegal carry, IT DOES NOT. It is a defense to the charge of homicide. It sadly was not used in the Bernard Goetz self-defense shooting. Here's a link to a probably, partially accurate account:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

NYC is bliss. I've been here almost a year and managed to get a handgun license...BUT NYPD have got my bolt action locked up since the first day i arrived pending the issuance of a rifle permit which has been "pending" for 10-months whilst handgun took a few months. Two different license sections, two different approaches..go figure.

My #1 carries a Top's Scalpel
( http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=114 )in Brooklyn where he lives. Gotta love my #1, working as a liquor buyer, brings his pop bottles when he visits, hell yeah, good kid! I love my Scalpel too. It's got a nice thick wicked little blade. It's the smaller one in the picture:

kniveskilt.jpg

I got mine at a nice discount because it was an overrun on a USMC contract

Let me say i am still here and we will be leaving tomorrow mid day, and this has to be one of the safest cities as fare as police presence. I would only be a little worried in the sub way system but it was still very accommodating and also one of those things that i am sure you get used to while living here!
Brian-If you get time look me up would like to by you a coffee or something for your service to the city. We leave tomorrow around 1PM, send me a email and i will shoot your my cell phone we are staying at the NYMA on 32nd and 5th area, Korea town area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work in Manhatten in the NYPD you don't need a knife. The city is pretty safe probably better than most. You can't spit without hitting a cop. Can't have a knife over 4in,gravity knife or switchblade. Keep all the toys at home. Enjoy the trip. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me say i am still here and we will be leaving tomorrow mid day, and this has to be one of the safest cities as fare as police presence. I would only be a little worried in the sub way system but it was still very accommodating and also one of those things that i am sure you get used to while living here!
Brian-If you get time look me up would like to by you a coffee or something for your service to the city. We leave tomorrow around 1PM, send me a email and i will shoot your my cell phone we are staying at the NYMA on 32nd and 5th area, Korea town area.

</div></div>

Glad you enjoyed your stay and glad you were safe. NYC is pretty safe like Brian already stated. You stand more of a chance of being struck by one of the many lunatics behind the wheel (yellow cabs) than being a victim of crime. That being said, stray north of 96th street or into some neighborhoods in the outer boros and you're in a whole new world.