• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

O/T - Need a new truck

FRO516BMX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
So basically my Explorer is on it's way out and I'm starting the process of shopping for a nice new pickup. I am looking at the F150/Ram 1500/Chevy 1500 series trucks. My question to guys out there that are mechanics or more knowledgable on the subject, I have a friend who can get me a pretty good deal on a new Ram, but I could swear I heard that they had QC issues? On CL the vast majority of pickups for sale are Dodge Rams (at least by me) Any guys with experience with any of these? I am also doing research of my own online, but figured it couldn't hurt to get some feedback on here as well.

Re: O/T - Need a new truck

I'm not a mechanic or anything like that but I too was in the market for a new pickup truck. I was looking at the F-150 and when I compared that to other similar sized trucks, I found it to be under powered and overpriced.

Not sure if you're into buying American made trucks but I would give the new Tundra a look. They seem to be plenty big and with a 5.7V8 I'm sure you'd be able to haul just about anything you need to.

I also borrowed my buddies Nissan Titan and while it might not look too pretty the thing has tons of power. I had a 700lbs quad in the back of it and I didn't notice any loss of power in it whatsoever.

I LOVE my Tacoma.
I would expect the Tundra to be as good or better.

Second choice - Ford.

I'm a dodge man. How ever I have the 3500 drw mega cab with the cummins. 156046 on the clock and still going strong.

Depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are just running around town and don't tow than you would have the best luck with a Toyota. Great ride quality better mileage, nice interior good resale value. If you are going to do any towing or hauling stick with the C or K 1500 or F150. If you have a heavy trailer or haul heavy loads stick with the Duramax.

As to price, shop around. You can pick up most one or two year old vehicles from a new car dealer of the make you want for a lot less and buy it certified. Basically it extends the factory warranty out a bit and saves you thousands. Unless you have to have that new car smell.

I drive a 1996 Nissan 4x4.
I just spent $400 getting the canopy repainted - and my truck "Looks" like brand new.

Except I have no truck payment. I take that $400 or $500 a month and do as I please with it...

Something to consider. "New" doesn't always mean better!

I drive an 02 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 165k miles. I change the synthetic oil every 5k miles and have replaced the driver side power window uppy downy thingy and went thru 2 windshields. 1/2 the starts are cold weather. I don't know the reliability of new ones but if it's still as good as mine, I'd buy another. Just checked gas mileage last fill up and its 18.6 mpg.

I have worked off and on at my families car lot most of my older life. For a while I was Die hard chevy and still look their way most of the time. But now I really don't have a preference cause we see em all come in and they all break down. I have owned 04 Jeep, 04 chevy suburban, 06 Dodge 5.9 cummins, 96 GMC Yukon, 98 Grand Marquis, 2010 F-250 Diesel all in the last 3 years all have done great and I would not say any of em were bad. Cars that have stuck in my mind though were Cadallac Cateras and VW's and daewoos. Man, every one of those that came in had trouble. Just look for something that has been taken care of, kept clean, and not abused. Good luck

I own 2 Dodge Ram 1500s. A 2000 my oldest daughter now drives and a 2008 I drive. Both were bought brand new and at quite good prices! And I had my own financing too so they didn't hose me in the F&I office! Well, not that I have figured out anyway...:D

The 2000 has 101,000 miles on it and for 96,000 of them, it was loaded with tools and supplies; heaving! I had to have the transmission reworked in 08, the AC needed an evaporator replacement and the dash plastic had to be replaced because of a faulty polymer that got very brittle. Total cost= roughly $4000.00.

The 2008 has been equally loaded with my tools and has to date only required two auto door locks replaced (Rear doors)as they just stopped working about three months apart from each other. Fairly certain it won't be long before the front units fail too...

Anyway it has 55,000 miles on it and I am very happy with it.

Good luck!

My next vehicle...
cool.gif

1500 Express

I have a 2000 GMC 1500 with 136k miles and a 2006 Chevy 1500 with 85k miles. Neither have ever been in the shop for any significant repairs.

My GMC has a 4.3L v6, and I've never had it in a situation where it wasn't capable, I much prefer the confidence of a v8. Ford's v6 is a 4.2l and dodge puts an anemic 3.7l v6 that was barely capable of pulling a dakota around. I'd look at at a truck that's in the 1-2 year old range, with the largest engine that makes sense for you. I just finished a trip in the Chevy and went just under 400 miles at 20 mpg running the speed limit. The v8 actually gets slightly better mileage than the v6.

If you're thinking Chevy or GMC, you would be well advised to Google "brake failure" and "rusted brake lines." The NTSB is investigating and there are many unhappy customers. Since coming out with the new body style they are seeing numerous problems with ABS and brake line failure and are not standing behind their product. 1999 - 2003 models are being hit hard, but 2004 through 2007 are beginning to see problems recently. Coastal and norther states are most prone. Oh, frames from cab back are not holding up well either.

To make matters worse, GM does not make/offer replacement hard (steel) brake lines. This makes for very expensive repairs.

I sell car parts. Number one in sales is 03 to 08 Dodge, second is Jeep, third is Chevy. A large gap later are the German cars and Ford. Dodge has the worst brake systems and suspension. Chevy is front suspensions. So far Fords are the usual wear out items. Have you looked at Honda Ridgeline?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I already have a ghetto glider that gets good mpg to drive to and from work, so the truck will mainly be my around town/family truck capable of the weekend road trips and being able to load and carry anything I need for house repairs, along with the occasional camping and fishing trip thrown in. Basically the cabin of an SUV with a bed. I have been looking at quad cab styles for when the day comes I can fit one or two child seats in the back without much headache. The Boss agrees with this.

I am partial to the F-150 as I loved my Explorer and the van my parents had previously (a ford) went 145K without even changing a battery. But after a trip to the dealer today, even with my side job, theres no way I can afford a truck over $30K while trying to save for a house and wedding.

Arctic, I'm with you man I paid off my truck a few years ago and bought my beater cash, I love having no payments. However the boss wants something relatively new, so my compromise will be somewhere around an '08 or '09 with low miles, maybe a cert pre owned.

I will look more into the Toyotas, I havent heard alot of negatives from them and they hold re-sale well, so if I ever need to upgrade to something for towing I'll be able to recoup some cash.

The Ridgeline was actually just mentioned to me the other day, and to be honest I never really gave it much thought cuz I kind of just thought it was, ugly. Any experience with it personally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're thinking Chevy or GMC, you would be well advised to Google "brake failure" and "rusted brake lines." The NTSB is investigating and there are many unhappy customers. Since coming out with the new body style they are seeing numerous problems with ABS and brake line failure and are not standing behind their product. 1999 - 2003 models are being hit hard, but 2004 through 2007 are beginning to see problems recently. Coastal and norther states are most prone. Oh, frames from cab back are not holding up well either.

To make matters worse, GM does not make/offer replacement hard (steel) brake lines. This makes for very expensive repairs. </div></div>
Hmmm That is kinda odd. Worked for a GM dealer since 89 (multi franchise so I see all makes and models) and I have done THOUSANDS of brake jobs, worked on THOUSANDS of ABS units, and have very few brake failures. GM did have some ABS module issues that caused a stuck motor relay that is soldered onto the main board of the module but have since updated the failing relay. As to rusting brake lines I have not seen any higher rate than any other make or model. Maybe it is Kalifornia sun. I have seen my share of rear rotors rusting to shit but that is always an issue with customers not washing off the diff and brakes after they pull boats out of the ocean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BronxFireGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But after a trip to the dealer today, even with my side job, theres no way I can afford a truck over $30K while trying to save for a house and wedding.

</div></div>

You sound like a land pirate aka "duck". If so, then may I suggest getting bigger boots.
grin.gif

From my experience in the oilfield the current best out there is the F-150 and the Tundra. Alot of the pumpers (guys that check the wells everyday)tear up pickups. They cant destroy the tundra's. I have a F-150 my second one with an Avalanche in between and the fords were twice the truck that the chevy is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're thinking Chevy or GMC, you would be well advised to Google "brake failure" and "rusted brake lines." The NTSB is investigating and there are many unhappy customers. Since coming out with the new body style they are seeing numerous problems with ABS and brake line failure and are not standing behind their product. 1999 - 2003 models are being hit hard, but 2004 through 2007 are beginning to see problems recently. Coastal and norther states are most prone. Oh, frames from cab back are not holding up well either.

To make matters worse, GM does not make/offer replacement hard (steel) brake lines. This makes for very expensive repairs. </div></div>
Hmmm That is kinda odd. Worked for a GM dealer since 89 (multi franchise so I see all makes and models) and I have done THOUSANDS of brake jobs, worked on THOUSANDS of ABS units, and have very few brake failures. GM did have some ABS module issues that caused a stuck motor relay that is soldered onto the main board of the module but have since updated the failing relay. As to rusting brake lines I have not seen any higher rate than any other make or model. Maybe it is Kalifornia sun. I have seen my share of rear rotors rusting to shit but that is always an issue with customers not washing off the diff and brakes after they pull boats out of the ocean. </div></div>

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 with 65,000 miles on it. Lost a front brake line, due to rust, last year and had it repaired. Didn't think to much about it until my rears went out - recently. That's when I did the internet search and found that there's big problem with hard brake lines rusting out. I pulled the box off to clean up the frame (sand blasting it) and make replacing the brake line from ABS to differential easier. I'm installing SS hard lines throughout. It's too nasty of a job to ever do it again.
CA weather is nicer, but I had to replace all 4 rotors before the pads wore out... go figure?

Otherwise, it's been a good reliable truck and the 6.0 Vortec is a beast for pulling a load.

I have a 2010 tundra and love it. It is my second one. My father has an 08 dodge 2500. Great engine, but has a hard time keeping ty rod ends from breaking and it has a terrible shimmy. He wont buy another one. Anyway, good luck.

Got a C3500 with 220000 miles and zero repairs so far. Of course I use all Amsoil lubricants.