• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Obtaining a concealed carry permit under 21?

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I keep hearing people talking about getting concealed carry permits before age 21, because they are active Navy, Army, etc. Is this true and legal? Im always tempted to dissagree, but am I wrong?

If so, is this done through the Navy, or would you just show the CHL instructor proof of being active MIL?

Re: Obtaining a concealed carry permit under 21?

Thanks for the link

Depends where you are...here in SD, I'm 19 and I have my concealed carry permit. I can also legally own a handgun through private sale, though stores by federal law cannot sell to me. I am in the military but that has no affect for this.

If you are referring to your home state only, I'm not sure.

I received mine from Maine after I turned 18.

here at 18 you can have posseion of a handgun but not carry it .unless your hunting , target practice or have it unloaded in a vechicle

Concealed carry permits are issued (or not) based upon state or local laws: there is no federal-level regulations on them. So being in the military is effectively irrelevant, the only important question is whether or not your particular state will issue them under the age of 21 (IIRC, only a handful of states do so right now).

I live in Texas so maybe this will help...

I when threw the CHL course when I was 20 (just barely 20). The instructor told me it was all good and well and that the paperwork was good for 2 years from the date I took it. A few weeks before I turned 21, I sent off my paperwork and had my CHL in a total of 40 days.

You can get your paperwork started, but you can't get your CHL in TX until 21. This is my understanding.

SS

Missouri recognizes all other states CCW's.

To get a Missouri CCW, you need to be 23.

To get a Maine CCW, you only have to be 18 and do not have to be a resident of Maine.

Long story short, in Missouri you can get a Maine CCW at 18 and you are good to go.

yes but is it legal to carry a pistol if you are under 21?
because I would think that carrying a pistol on youre person would constitute ownership and dont you have to be 21 to own a handgun? if this sounds stupid please bear with me I live in illinois for what its worth my ccw is out of Pa .

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Missouri law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18.

Interesting discussion.

All I know is I can legally carry in SD at 19(got it when I was 18). Only federal laws don't allow stores to sell to me, so I must purchase hand guns in private sale.

Here in alabama you can get a concelled carry permit at 18. Or at least you could back in 1992. We had 3 females and about 4 males in high school that had them. When I found out about it I wanted my dad to buy me a 5906 S&W. He didn't belive I could legelly carry it. I told him about the people at school and he said well go get your carry permit and I'll buy you any type handgun you want (with my money of course) and give it to you as a gift for turning 18 years of age.

KHOOKS
Interesting because I assumed there was a federal restriction against carrying a gun on or near school grounds. Or are those state specific also?

Anyone know about texas laws?

Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure your local sherrif's department knows.

It's nice here in SD that we can pack at age 18.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know about texas laws?</div></div>

Texas, isn't that part of Mexico now?
laugh.gif

Somehow Texas went from being THE cowboy state, to being filled with the same law making libtards as Kalifornia. Last I heard it was almost a year long process and you must be 21 and take a class.

Check http://handgunlaw.us for all the info you need.

It says in that link when i click on Texas, "the applicant must [be 21, or 18 in the case of being a veteran or active in the military]"

So what was the question. That seems pretty darn clear.

TrooperBrian, prior to about '98, there was no legal civilian concealed carry in Texas, and no well defined right to even have a handgun in the car. There was a "traveller" defense to prosecution, but a defense to prosecution is just that, something to sort out IN COURT. WAY too much left to officer's discretion. White, well dressed, polite, OK; young, minority, not well dressed, or in San Antonio or Houston, not so much.

The question was can I obtain a concealed carry permit under the age of 21 because im active Navy. The answer was no. Then the link said yes.

It really dosnt matter what Texas law is, because Texas wont be where im stationed. The law would only matter in the state I was stationed.

No CHL in texas until your 21. you can check with Texas's reciprocal states, they may offer something like that and some, not sure how it works, allow you to get a CHL without being a residence. Saw it at a gunshow.

So then your telling me the information in the link TrooperBrian provided is wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi regarding WPD175's comment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So then your telling me the information in the link TrooperBrian provided is wrong? </div></div>

wait for it...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPD175</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Saw it at a gunshow. </div></div>

Enough said!!

i know under some extream circumstances the sherrifs here in colorado can issue a temp ccw for self protection. dont know if anyone has ever gotten one but it is posible

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi regarding WPD175's comment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So then your telling me the information in the link TrooperBrian provided is wrong? </div></div>

wait for it...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPD175</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Saw it at a gunshow. </div></div>

Enough said!! </div></div>

Actually, in this case he's right... Gun show in TX offered Utah CCL, which are better in every way possible. Took the class in TX, got a UT CCL mailed to my house

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wait for it...........
</div></div>

Waiting....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Actually, in this case he's right... Gun show in TX offered Utah CCL, which are better in every way possible. Took the class in TX, got a UT CCL mailed to my house </div></div>

And even though your a resident of Texas, the UT CCL is honored there so it works out? When you renew, how does that work?

If this is the case, i can obtain a ND CCL (the age there is 18, and there is no non resident permit, its still a resident permit) and since TX honors the ND permit, and Florida only honors a ND resident permit (which it will technically be since there is no non-resident permit in ND), the ND permit will be valid in both states.

Correct?

The UT reciprocates in TX so theres no problem there, it expires in 5 years instead of 2 and you just mail in like $50 and they renew you for another 5 years... no class involved.. You do have to follow the gun laws in the state you are in though... 18 is no dice

Even with all our fine bases here in N.C. don't even think about it.Minimum possesion of a handgun and CCW age is 21.

21 in Washington State on cpl (concealed pistol license), purchase, possession and ownership. So not happening.

You can go to the TXDPS website and read all about the Texas CHL procedure; if that doesnt work call them.

The Texas CHL requires you to be 21 to obtain the license. If there is a military exception(CCW) for 18 year olds you will not find it given by the state of Texas. I have never read in the Texas penal code where it defines a person as being 21. A person is someone 18+ years old. Texas law that passed in 2007 states A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is NOT:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

But like you said, you will not be stationed in Texas so the concern should be whatever state you are in. Texas does not issue a carry permit unless you are 21, but when in Texas you can carry your handgun concealed inside your vehicle as long as you are not violating any other laws, minus traffic.