• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Good to hear thanks for the feedback, probably going to pick up an A2 here soon. The SAC mag kit looks slick is that a must have or just bending the feed lips will do it?
I just bent the lips. It works fine, no issues at all

Just for clarification- Desert tech only has a Short action and a long action mag correct? Any differences aside from bending feed lips betwwen the same action lengths?

Just for clarification- Desert tech only has a Short action and a long action mag correct? Any differences aside from bending feed lips betwwen the same action lengths?
There is a piece of metal in the rear of the short action to keep the rounds in check. That's the only differenc, plus feed lips are a closer on the short action. In my SAUM I can run my modified mag or a magnum mag, no problem

Has anyone ever SBR’d a desert tech? I just had my hand guard off and I realized you still have 7 inches of barrel, even without the hand guard on the gun. It could be slick to run a 300 Blk and a can that short.

Anyone got a reliable lead time on Chassis and such from Desert Tech. I ordered in Mid January; I've been told "next week" every Friday since. It's getting into spring time and I need to start getting practice in!

Anyone got a reliable lead time on Chassis and such from Desert Tech. I ordered in Mid January; I've been told "next week" every Friday since. It's getting into spring time and I need to start getting practice in!

that’s weird. Pretty sure that tomorrow we would have a conversation called “email me the tracking number or cancel the order.”

there’s plenty of folks that have DTA chassis’ in stock.

Reactions: Goin'Hot
Getting ready to jump into a DT SRS A2 covert-

My main question is, should I start with a factory barrel, or with a setup from someone like SAC or ES Tactical? Any advantages to either?

I plan on beginning with a 6.5 CM, followed by a 223 in the future.
I have a 400 round count 26” barrel I would sell for $800 shipped. The factory barrels shoot really really well. I bought this to use in my covert but then I bought a AI and srs and don’t needn’t it as a backup tool the moment

Has it been answered for certain yet if the barrel will come out of an a2 with anything attached to the handguard at 12 o'clock?

For those with the Vortex Razor Gen 2. What flip caps or lens protectors do you use? Unsure about the ones from Vortex at them moment.

Attachments

• 20200305_194332.jpg
    20200305_194332.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200305_194341.jpg
    20200305_194341.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200305_194410.jpg
    20200305_194410.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 117
I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a covert hand guard for my SRS A1. I currently have 3 DTA barrels: 338, 6.5CM and 308. I'll probably cut the 26" 6.5CM to 16" rather than searching for a new barrel. I'll keep the 308 as is at 22". I'm contemplating about cutting the 338lm, but i'm not sure i'd be too thrilled on the big boom with that caliber on a short barrel. Folks with an 18" 338lm, how is it?

Also to those who did the hand guard conversion. Do you find yourself ever moving back to the SRS hand guard? Or once you go covert, you never go back?

I'm in a state where I can't get a suppressor :-(.

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a covert hand guard for my SRS A1. I currently have 3 DTA barrels: 338, 6.5CM and 308. I'll probably cut the 26" 6.5CM to 16" rather than searching for a new barrel. I'll keep the 308 as is at 22". I'm contemplating about cutting the 338lm, but i'm not sure i'd be too thrilled on the big boom with that caliber on a short barrel. Folks with an 18" 338lm, how is it?

Also to those who did the hand guard conversion. Do you find yourself ever moving back to the SRS hand guard? Or once you go covert, you never go back?

I'm in a state where I can't get a suppressor :-(.

I was in the same boat. I pulled the trigger and got the kit. Works well with an 18" 6.5 and a 26" 338. It wasn't a quick change, so that keeps me from going back to the longer rail. Unless I'm shooting 338 for an entire week or more, I'll keep the covert rail. I feel more stable with my bipod out further on the longer barrels, but the covert is so nice an compact for the shorter barrels. I rarely go back to the longer rail.

I bought an SRS when there was no covert back in 2010 or so. Got tired of adding extensions to my short barrels and finally got a covert handguard for it. Have never looked back. The long handguard gains you nothing unless you need the length for a rail mounted starlight or thermal. I've been running barrels from 16" to 34" with no issues. I had the 33XC out in South Dakota last year shooting out to 2500yds. I've got a couple 30 in barrels I run in 7.5 Swiss and 338 Lapua and neither of them have any problems with the short handguard. The gun balances well on the bipod and doesn't tip despite the long barrels with suppressors mounted on them.

Just my thoughts. Getting ready to swap out the long handguard on my new SRS A1 for a shorty.

Frank

I bought an SRS when there was no covert back in 2010 or so. Got tired of adding extensions to my short barrels and finally got a covert handguard for it. Have never looked back. The long handguard gains you nothing unless you need the length for a rail mounted starlight or thermal. I've been running barrels from 16" to 34" with no issues. I had the 33XC out in South Dakota last year shooting out to 2500yds. I've got a couple 30 in barrels I run in 7.5 Swiss and 338 Lapua and neither of them have any problems with the short handguard. The gun balances well on the bipod and doesn't tip despite the long barrels with suppressors mounted on them.

Just my thoughts. Getting ready to swap out the long handguard on my new SRS A1 for a shorty.

Frank
I'm not sold on it yet, but my "standard" rifles seem to point more true with the standard mounting point. This is my first entry into a bullpup, so maybe I just need more time behind the gun. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Yeah me too. Lighter .223 and shorty .308 on the Covert and 6.5, 300WM on the full sized. Both chassis bought used on here. Good deals show up if you follow the PX.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
That’s what I did, and I worked to lighten up the Covert. Now I have a heavyweight with a Razor Gen 2 and a lightweight with a Bushy LRHS.

im guessing this is a hunting rig, yeah? I’ve got a bushy 4.5-18 LRHS as well on another rifle. Could be fun to swap it across. What’s your go-to hunting barrel chambered in?

im guessing this is a hunting rig, yeah? I’ve got a bushy 4.5-18 LRHS as well on another rifle. Could be fun to swap it across. What’s your go-to hunting barrel chambered in?

My 18” 260 barrel does pretty much everything I need. Otherwise it’s my 6XC or 300 WM.

Reactions: 65x55guy
Guys, I need to double check the thread pitch on the bolt knob. M6x1, correct? Just like the CZ457 and Bergara, right? I know it was listed in this thread somewhere, but since we're up to 248 pages, it's a lot to wade through to find the post

Has anyone shot the ES tactical barrels with the x-caliber blanks? How are they shooting?

I can't comment on the X-caliber barrels, since I've always ordered his cut rifled barrels, but I have four or five barrels from Eric for my DT and AX. All have been fantastic, so I wouldn't think any different about the X-cal. If you find it doesn't shoot, he'll replace it.

Quick question - I have an A2 and I'm wondering if the bolt and barrels are interchangeable from the A1? Local guy has a 338 barrel bolt from an A1 and Idk it will work in my chassis?

Reactions: rust4brains
Deersniper,

Who made your tripod attachment for your SRS-A1 Covert in the picture?
It looks like an RRS product but I didn’t think they made one to fit a Covert.

Thanks.
It is the RRS. It fits fine but the Covert only has 2 tapped holes and the RRS has 3. I’m just running the 2 holes till I get around to drilling’s tapping the 3rd

Made the decision that I want all my rifles nv/thermal capable. I think I might be able to get a clip on on a covert with something like a vudu 5-25 but haven't tried.
You can fit a UTC or a LWTS-LR on a Vudu Covert.

I’m in the same boat as you.

I apologize if this has already been discussed in the previous 12,375 posts, but I’m curious if a stock 26 inch DTA barrel can be successfully cut down to shorten it. I wasnt sure if the stock barrel fluting prevents cutting and rethreading. Thanks

I'm sure it could, it would not look great, but I'm not sure the depressions from the fluting will interfere with squaring the shoulders. However, ES Tactical has button-rifled barrel for 675. You will probably pay 100-200 for a cut and rethread, at that point, you may as well buy a new barrel, and use the barrel extensions for the rebarrel(s).

Youre better of trading or selling it. Then buy what you want from any of the stud smiths that roll barrels.

I've shortened a few barrels for customers and other than having the flutes run all the way to shoulder its fine. Looks odd but who really cares. The flutes have no effect on the cutting of the shoulder. Its still square and true.....as long as you machine it that way.

Frank