• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

What velocities are you guys getting with the sac 223 from 16.5 barrel and what Ammo?

Would it be possible to have someone else make a barrel for the SAC 223 Conversion Kit?
Re-using the SAC barrel extension but using for example a Proof Research DTSRS 224 blank?

Or would you need a barrel blueprint?

I exported the Sac 223 kit minus the barrel and am having my gunsmith spinup my barrel now .

Who does aftermarket barrels for the SRS? I reached out to Sin City precision as they did a 6.5 barrel for my SRS a few years back but doesn't look like they are still doing that. Point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Who does aftermarket barrels for the SRS? I reached out to Sin City precision as they did a 6.5 barrel for my SRS a few years back but doesn't look like they are still doing that. Point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
In alphabetical order:

ES Tactical
Short Action Customs
Special Purpose Rifles

DMR Rifles out of Vegas did the SRS barrels for Sin City Precision. I’m surprised they didn’t point you in DMR’s direction.
Yes, they actually did point me in that direction, sorry for not mentioning that. Thanks for the reminder. But was just surprised that seemingly Sin City is not selling them anymore I guess?

Sin City never did the barrel work themselves; all work was done by DMR behind the scene. Nothing wrong with that; now you’re just dealing with DMR directly.
I have barrels from 4 different smiths, DMR did 3 of my barrels. I can’t see any difference on the target versus others.

Reactions: Sako man
Sin City never did the barrel work themselves; all work was done by DMR behind the scene. Nothing wrong with that; now you’re just dealing with DMR directly.
I have barrels from 4 different smiths, DMR did 3 of my barrels. I can’t see any difference on the target versus others.
Do you know what blanks DMR uses?

Any time I ordered something from them I had the option of Benchmark, Hawk Hill, or Bartlein. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve needed a barrel so check with them on what they are currently stocking.

Do you know what blanks DMR uses?
Anything you want. He has Hawkhill and Bartlien in stock. He can get anything you want. I have sent him barrels in the past as well. I trust Dane with my life! Once I even broke down near Vegas and he graciously rescued a buddy and I! Class act

Reactions: Sako man
I have a Hawk Hill 16” in 6.5x47 from DMR and it is an absolute hammer. It’s also an extremely fast barrel, 2800 FPS with 130 Berger’s.

In alphabetical order:

ES Tactical
Short Action Customs
Special Purpose Rifles

Special Purpose Rifle has a good stock of completed drop in ready Proof research Carbon fiber barrels and some unfinished blanks. Last I checked there are a few 22.5" 6.5 CM barrels that are going to be ready in a week or so. There are some 18" and 26" 6.5 CM barrels on the shelf ready to ship but I think the 22.5" in the best balance between compactness and ballistics. They have the typical 0.5 MOA guarantee but most of these barrel regularly shoot around 0.25 MOA. The muzzle is threaded 5/8x24 and the extra half inch over the factory 22" barrel gives you better clearance on from the end of the hand guard for muzzle brakes and suppressors.
PR 6.5 CM 22.5%22 5:8x24 Conv kit.jpeg

Max COAL for 223 SAC is 2.5”

with 75 ELD I can get 3100 from a 22.5” barrel using RL15in Hornady brass. I backed it down to 25.5 grains and I get 3000-3050 depending on ambient temp and it shoots lights out to 800 yards.

Those velocities are due to the COAL and RL15 and Hornady brass with more capacity than say Lapua

don’t go 80 ELD for the increased BC. The bearing surface is significantly longer and you lose 200 fps so it’s a lose on balance

Max COAL for 223 SAC is 2.5”

with 75 ELD I can get 3100 from a 22.5” barrel using RL15in Hornady brass. I backed it down to 25.5 grains and I get 3000-3050 depending on ambient temp and it shoots lights out to 800 yards.

Those velocities are due to the COAL and RL15 and Hornady brass with more capacity than say Lapua

don’t go 80 ELD for the increased BC. The bearing surface is significantly longer and you lose 200 fps so it’s a lose on balance
Thanks for sharing, what COAL are you loading those 75gr ELD-M's at?

What is this barrel shank, Ext A or Ext B? Not sure if this is the old style barrel extension or one that would work on the newer SRS A1 rifles?

Feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20191222_230954.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20191222_230954.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Resized_Resized_20191222_231028.jpg
    Resized_Resized_20191222_231028.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 45
What is this barrel shank, Ext A or Ext B? Not sure if this is the old style barrel extension or one that would work on the newer SRS A1 rifles?

Feedback appreciated.

As said, it's a gen 1. You see that little notch facing the camera in the second picture? The gen 1 extensions indexed off a little detent, but DT found users would occasionally break the detent, so they started indexing off the feed ramp for the gen 2 extensions. A gen 2 extension will still work in a gen 1 chassis, however the gen 1 extension will not work in anything but the gen 1 chassis.

My 223 kit is shipping today.

Damn you suck! I’m actually happy for you. Did you get a tracking number? Looks like they got some of the parts they needed. what did you order so I gauge how far out my kit is.

Feedback appreciated.
Like everyone has said, that is an old Gen 1 barrel extension. The good news is you can send the barrel in and have the barrel extension changed to the current Gen 2 barrel extension which will work in all the chassis from Gen 2, SRS-A1, and the current SRS-A2. The barrels themselves haven't changed. Just the way the barrel extension indexes the chassis. Here at Special Purpose Rifles we can swap out the barrel extension for you so you can still use the barrels. Just message us and we can see if it makes sense to go that route as far as cost goes..

Damn you suck! I’m actually happy for you. Did you get a tracking number? Looks like they got some of the parts they needed. what did you order so I gauge how far out my kit is.
Typical kit plus a magnum bolt. Long range 26”, lite contour, 7.7, threaded, fluted, cerakote green

Last edited:
Typical kit plus a magnum bolt. Long range 26”, lite contour, 7.7, threaded, fluted, cerakote green
Thanks man. I just got an email with a tracking number that mine had also shipped. I sure hope the almost 200 rounds of 75elds I have loaded up for my old Tikka work in it enough to be safe yet have fun. I will report back.

You will fly through that. The 223 kit is silly fun. Especially going from heavier calibers to then dropping to a suppressed 223 or muzzle brake 223. Heavy gun makes it like blasting with a 22lr
I have a suppressor and have used it on 223 gas guns with 20”, 16” and 7.5” barrels. The 20” barrel is probably hearing safe but no way on the 16” or 7.5” barrel. I have yet to use it on a 223 bolt gun. Would you say there is a noticeable difference between the two? The barrel I am getting from SAC is a 26” barrel.

Maybe this will increase your anticipation a little more. Shot these groups just this past Sunday. One was with varget, the other vvn140.
Did you go with the 1-6.5 twist or 1-7.7 twist barrel?

Pretty much a question for all SAC 223 Kit owners out there, what twist rate are you running? :)

Maybe this will increase your anticipation a little more. Shot these groups just this past Sunday. One was with varget, the other vvn140.
Ok now your just being a dick. Just kidding. Those are some seriously awesome groups. May have to try those projectiles out if the 75elds don’t pan out.
I ordered my barrel in 7.7 twist.

I exported the Sac 223 kit minus the barrel and am having my gunsmith spinup my barrel now .
What country are you exporting to? I am in Canada and was looking at the 223 conversions. With the barrel not installed were you able to avoid going through an importer?

Just put a few rounds through my SRS for the first time. Did a quick run up on powder loads for the 22 Creedmoor to see any signs of pressure. 41.0-43.0 grains of H4350 and 80gr ELDm. 41.0 gave me around 3250fps, 43.0 was 3,440. No flat primers or stiff bolt. Granted it was 100 yards but this thing is really easy to shoot well. ES Tactical 24” with APA Gen3 brake.
FFBB4C13-7608-4DB8-B9C5-846F3A0D9205.jpeg

Just put a few rounds through my SRS for the first time. Did a quick run up on powder loads for the 22 Creedmoor to see any signs of pressure. 41.0-43.0 grains of H4350 and 80gr ELDm. 41.0 gave me around 3250fps, 43.0 was 3,440. No flat primers or stiff bolt. Granted it was 100 yards but this thing is really easy to shoot well. ES Tactical 24” with APA Gen3 brake.View attachment 7208932
Those are some awesome velocities. what type of barrel life is typical for a 22Creed?

From what I’ve read it’s probably around 1,000. This will be for a dedicated thermal coyote gun so I’m not concerned with barrel life. I’ll swap in a 6.5 barrel for day shooting the rest of the year. Another awesome trait of the Desert Tech.