• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Official Falcon IS CRAP thread. YET AGAIN!

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
In a nutshell:

my 1st Falcon crapped out on me in the first year.
2nd falcon crapped out on me
3rd falcon arrived ala warranty exchange a week or few ago.

I have been working two jobs and was just this morning able to place it on the rifle to find this:
FalconCrap.jpg

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)
I threaded off the sunshade to discover threads that were so boogered up and marred they have wavy lines in them perpendicular to the threads and the anodize have been scraped off.

So there ya go, a Falcon "quality" replacement as received to my door step.

Side note: RWS G.Smithing has been very helpful in running scopes back and forth between me & Falcon.

Re: Official Falcon IS CRAP thread.

My Falcon Menace came to me in absolute perfect condition. I looked it over very closely to find something wrong with it and couldn't find anything. Now I just hope the internals are as good as the externals! Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble though, it sucks for shit not to be right.

Kelly

Thats wonderful to know, I have a 10x Menance I was planning to mount on my new Rem 5R. Now I have my doubts. My personal BATF(lovely wifey) said no more toy buying....

Thats wonderful to know, I have a 10x Menance I was planning to mount on my new Rem 5R. Now I have my doubts. My personal BATF(lovely wifey) said no more toy buying....

Never can tell until you mount it up and put some rounds on paper. It's just like everything else out there......it'll either work or it won't!

Kelly

TresMon,
I am sorry to hear about your falcon issues, I have heard several stories like this one. I have had no problems with my 5.5x25x50 and its been on my .308 for 450 rds. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I hope everything works out for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell:

I have been working two jobs and was just this morning able to place it on the rifle to find this:
FalconCrap.jpg

I threaded off the sunshade to discover threads that were so boogered up and marred they have wavy lines in them perpendicular to the threads and the anodize have been scraped off.

Side note: RWS G.Smithing has been very helpful in running scopes back and forth between me & Falcon. </div></div>

Got ya beat. A few years back my Falcon Menace broke in half on the 3rd shot of .308.

The screws holding the objective on were all stripped and only the glue,tape,whatever the fuck it was was holding it together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell:

FalconCrap.jpg

Side note: RWS G.Smithing has been very helpful in running scopes back and forth between me & Falcon. </div></div>

Got ya beat. A few years back my Falcon Menace broke in half on the 3rd shot of .308.

The screws holding the objective on were all stripped and only the glue,tape,whatever the fuck it was was holding it together. </div></div>

lol holy shit I think I remember that.

Needless to say they abandoned that two piece design pretty quickly.

That sucks to hear. So far I have two Falcon Menaces and both are doing just fine. I got another on order I sure hope that one will be okay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell:

FalconCrap.jpg

The screws holding the objective on were all stripped and only the glue,tape,whatever the fuck it was was holding it together. </div></div>

Needless to say they abandoned that two piece design pretty quickly. </div></div>

I'm looking for the picture now actually. Was told by my class 3 guy I was famous on the net for that picture.

*edit* Found it!

broken.jpg

Cover it up with a super-short shade as a "thread protector" and forget about it until something important breaks.

At the Falcon price point, for the internals and functional features, expecting flawless polished threads like on a Starrett micrometer is just not reasonable.

How much extra would you be willing to pay to get un-marred threads? You got the shade off, so I am believing that the ugly threads at least WORK, unlike one 2008-vintage Tasco I had the dispeasure of working with once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell:

FalconCrap.jpg

Needless to say they abandoned that two piece design pretty quickly. </div></div>

I'm looking for the picture now actually. Was told by my class 3 guy I was famous on the net for that picture.
</div></div>

I know of this picture.

I thought that picture was for the 4-18 ones... and they were 2 piece instead of 1 piece like the 4-14x... right?

Third scope and it still ain't right. I would say you can officially be pissed off at this point.

Consider the Viper PST when it comes out. Should have all the features you want. Maybe a little more, but at least if something screws up, you have Vortex here in the States. Heck, you may even want to talk with Matt at Wonder Optics. He has tactical scopes in this price range and stands behind them pretty well from what I read. He has a good following with the guys over at Sniper Central.

why do i always find these threads after i order one. i hope im one of the luky ones but ive found a few threads that leave doubt in my mind. only time will tell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do i always find these threads after i order one. i hope im one of the luky ones but ive found a few threads that leave doubt in my mind. only time will tell </div></div>

Relax man, your biggest concern here is that you have to mail the scope back for a replacement, and the biggest issue you're left to suffer with is shitty threading on the objective sunshade mount.

Honestly, shitty threading there isn't a big deal anyways especially not on a 350$ scope that functions well assuming yours does(mine does).

I mean, take a look at people's suggestions. The best competition someone offers here for this scope costs literally twice as much. That should indicate something.

They're not great scopes and I feel a little shady defending them so heartily, but based on my experience they work well and are cheap.

I'll sell mine eventually and buy a Vortex for sure, but until I have the cash lying around this thing is cutting the mustard just fine.

This is partially why I bought a PST (still waiting on it), well that and Vortex's reputation for my first rifle build. Spend more $$$ now and cry less later (hopefully). A friend here who is helping me into the sport has run a falcon for quite a long time and it just recently broke, but ended up so because his bolt got stuck and he was 'ramming' the bolt to get it free during a shoot last month. Now the scope won't hold zero but for the price what can you expect? He's getting a free replacement anyhow. Good luck on your scope bro that truly sucks!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do i always find these threads after i order one. i hope im one of the luky ones but ive found a few threads that leave doubt in my mind. only time will tell </div></div>

I was just thinking the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
broken.jpg
</div></div>
Hahaha, talking about integral tubes
smile.gif

I hate to be the one to say this but, you get what you pay for. I purchased a 4-16 Menace on the group buy from RWS G.Smithing, it sat for a while and was recently mounted on a PSS 308, it lasted 60 rounds before it failed. A word on service, Robert @ RWS G.Smithing handled it flawlessly, no complaints there.

I payed under $400 for this scope, and I expect $400 worth of performance, the Menace has a ton of features for that price so I'm mot complaining. Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having. If the scope functions, I'd deal with the threading issue and put the past behind you. It sounds like your busy with 2 jobs, you have better things to worry about so get out and shoot and don't sweat it.

Kirk R

sorry to hear of your problems, shoot it till it really breaks. And post photos, its fun to see all shiny pieces. Sorry, got carried away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought that picture was for the 4-18 ones... and they were 2 piece instead of 1 piece like the 4-14x... right? </div></div>

I remember that one too. Wasn't that like a beta type thing?
Anyways, it's good enough to trash Falcon for now.
Where's the pitchforks and torches?

Tres sorry to hear about so much bad with the falcon I have one of the 10X counter snipers and just kicked the dog shit out of it. A uso it is not but I bought mine on the hide for 350.00 and it shoots well on a 24 inch HB AR-15 lucky I guess

I have about 500 rounds of .308 thru a rifle with a Falcon 4-14, the vast majority of which were on a 10PC, which is a fairly light tactical rifle. No issues at all, I am absolutely pleased with mine.

Sorry to hear about it failing. Have been able to use these on my .22 trainer and have yet to have any issues. I do hope they continue to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rule of thumb still applies! Avoid all scopes named after birds of prey and you will do alright
grin.gif
</div></div>

NICE!!

Anyone that says they find these threads after they order didn't do much homework (or have really weak search-fu).
Here's what I did when I was considering a 5-25 Falcon:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1370890

I didn't like the odds, so I passed.....

i didn't do as much research as i would have liked. i got in on the group buy last week. i think it will be a good scope for 435.

Dang, bought mine second hand from a buddy of mine (A former Marine SS) and have had nothing but the best of luck with it. I think I would have gone to another company after the second one personally.

They have a great idea but I just keep seeing them going down at the range. For a good low cost FFP scope I have been happy with the Bushnell to this point and I have a really good felling about the Viper PSTs.

Mike @ CST

I jumped in on a RWS group by last summer for the 5-25. I haven't had a single hiccup yet and still going strong. My rifle only see's the range though no hiking or comps.

I've seen it go both ways though, some people get a lemon. But I figure it's expected given the price point.. Really sucks Tres has had so much bad luck with his though.

I have had 2 falcon 5-25s. The first one was great and it still sits on my .22lr. The second I had trouble focusing. I think they are hit and miss, but for the money, I cant complain with what i got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rule of thumb still applies! Avoid all scopes named after birds of prey and you will do alright
grin.gif
</div></div>

Nice one! I made the mistake of buyIng an Osprey once. What a P.O.S! The west coast dealer was shady to boot.

But my Menace is going strong after 1k .308. Very good value as far as I'm concerned. Saving my pennies to upgrade to a Vortex PST someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought that picture was for the 4-18 ones... and they were 2 piece instead of 1 piece like the 4-14x... right? </div></div>

I remember that one too. Wasn't that like a beta type thing?
Anyways, it's good enough to trash Falcon for now.
Where's the pitchforks and torches? </div></div>

Nope not a beta. Was a production piece at the time I ordered it
smirk.gif

I hope I never talk myself into buying a scope that screws together. Recipe for disaster.

My 4-14 has been a gem.

In response to this post RWS G.Smithing is doing all they can for me. In good faith they are shipping me yet another replacement Falcon and letting me send this flawed one back after receipt on the next one. A GREAT gunsmithing business paying the price for a crappy scope comp.

Thanks RWS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In a nutshell:

FalconCrap.jpg

*edit* Found it!

broken.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="color: #99FF99">I thought that was a quick take down model of the Falcon </span>
wink.gif

You know whats funny? I just posted saying that I was one of the lucky ones who must have gotten a good one. My reticle moves up and down inside my scope now when I zoom in or out... DAMMMIIITT!!! Oh well, time for a new scope,

I have a friend that is set on these things, he has bought over 20 through his credit card then selling them to friends at his cost. The vendor thought he would be a great salesmen but after his difficulties he now sold them all, the friends that he sold them to that is another story that is there choice he bought a premier and said (once you look through good glass you will never buy a cheaper scope again even if it is on a 22)

A Falcon is like buying a 30 walmart special in the big time scope category YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I have Nightforce and alot of guys here say they aren't top notch either! Do you see where I'm going with this, there is always shit, good, great, better, best, and really f**king expensive but the BEST!

grin.gif
</div></div>

My counter sniper is G2G then?

I am TresMon, here me roar.

Recap:
my 1st Falcon crapped out on me in the first year. It did good for a long while, including a perfect score @ 1000 yards atop a 26" barrel .223 AR. It was warranty exchanged.

2nd falcon crapped out on me pretty quick. It was warranty exchanged.

3rd falcon arrived with buggered up threads. (See pics in this thread) It was swapped still "NIB."

4th falcon arrived looking fine.

Falcon 1's problem was it got to were it would not hold zero. No user identifiable problem.

Falcon 2 got to were it would not hold zero. The cross hair would rotate about 15degrees the same direction the power ring was turned wether clockwise or anti-clock while view through the scope.

falcon 3 received buggered up. Never mounted.

NOW GOOD OLD falcon 4. !!!!!!!!!

RWS Gunsmithing has been great about jockeying these scopes back and forth for me. (Thanks!)

I got it just a couple months ago on warranty exchange. I was quite busy with work when it came in so it was just a matter of weeks ago that I was able to mount it and head to the range. First conclusion: either the barrel in my 300WM is going south, or this scope is not holding zero either.

So I went back to doing load development to see if I could get things more consistent. At the range today I was doing some tracking tests on the scope. The fist thing I wanted to do was see if the reticle drifted around while I turned the power ring. HOLY CRAP! I shoot 99% of shots @ 25power. I noticed when the power ring stopped on 25x the reticle jumped straight up about .3 mil! Then when I turned the power ring the other way sure enough it dropped back down about .3.
Crap. So I started turning the ring back and forth watching the crosshair dance. Once the light flickered in the scope though the rifle and overall scope had not moved. It was as if the reticle lens flopped forward or back making the light flash.

I'm done with Falcon forever, period. So you say, i'm slow? No, I'm just a poor boy and this is about the most I could afford to put into a tactical scope. I'm hooked on Mil/Mil & ffp. So what now? There are no other Mil/Mil FFP alternatives in this price range. Time to get unhooked I guess. It's not worth it if I can't hit what I'm shooting at because of crap scopes.

Sure a 300win mag shooting 210vld's recoil. But the rifle is 16.25 pounds with a brake. Thats not scope killin recoil.

IF YOU SEE A FALCON SCOPE GO THE OTHER WAY!

"There are no <span style="text-decoration: underline">other</span> Mil/Mil FFP alternatives in this price range"

Given your unfortunate experience, I'd say there are none at all in that price range. Hope you can figure something else out that will work instead.

Guess I am lucky. Mine has about 4K rounds of .308 under it as well as several schools, stalks and competitions.

It's a sample of one, so I can't tell you if I just got the creme of the crop or if you got four bad apples.

Mine is an early 1/4 MOA SLR FFP model. It's still going strong on my AR10 and will probably stay there until I replace it with an NXS.

TresMon,
Man (and don't take this wrong) I think you are as defective as that scope, I mean come on you've returned 3/4 scopes, good grief I might give a company one chance on a bad product after that I'm going to move on. Just purchase a quality scope and be done with it!

MSG J,
Sure, no worries, which Credit C f yours can I borrow?

Wow, what a thread. Maybe I'll have luck with my 1.5-5x falcon. Anyone have experiences or knows of experiences where the falcon has lasted?

I had the 4.5-18 for 2 years on a 300 wsm. Never had a problem with it.