• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ok so bring the hate

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    So I was planning on purchasing an STI for competition next February .
    Got a little money coming in and thought let's go top tier . Turns out Feb is a long ways away and I'm impatient . So I figure I'll purchase something now , maybe do a trigger job , try some recoil springs and loads . Was even thinkink8ng of taking the slide and putting it up on the bridgeport and milling some lightening cuts . So in the search for my 9mm 1911 I tried a Springfield A2 I believe . I've shot government models in the past but not in comp m Further when I was shooting 1911s I really didn't know what I didn't know . My grip and trigger discipline have greatly matured since . So fast forward to Sunday and aaagggghhhh , I hated it . Don't get me wrong , the thing one holed at eight yards slow fire but that's where it stopped . I have a real h8gh hold and ride the slide with my support hand thumb . The safety is way to low and I stove piped when I rode the slide . I have come to the conclusion that a 1911 is not in the cards for me . Man I feel like a misfit and yet I love XD's and XDM's . Fact is I'm even now looking at the Sig P320 X5 if I can find a friggin 2 to 3lb trigger for it . I do plan on meeting up with a guy to try his STI DVC STEEL so as to completely rule it out but right now 1911s are off the radar . So whatcha think ?

Reactions: diverdon
    I hated it . I have come to the conclusion that a 1911 is not in the cards for me . Man I feel like a misfit
    You're not alone. 2011's I can get into but 1911's are best left in museums as far as I'm concerned. The only reason a big heavy steel gun that barely holds more ammo than a revolver still exists is nostalgia.

I am unable to shoot a 1911 due to injury. Pissed, really pissed.
    No other words.
    For you, lots to choose from and XD”s have light weight and high capacity. If that works, why worry.

Something else to think about in the 9mm is some of the nice CZ competition models. They have a lot in the $1200 and up range that are well suited for competition shooting.

If you are used to hammer fired ones, they make some really nice SA or DA/SA depending on your pick competition models that take 17, 19 or more rounds per magazine. You can also get optic ready versions and the triggers will beat out a lot of others if you have a CZ custom setup done or a Cajun Gunworks done.

HA, read the title and expected this to be a Savage thread!

I have owned a few 1911's. Current inventory is the one I will never sell (Springfield, Loaded MC Operator, 45 ACP) since to me it is may be the the sexiest 1911 pistol ever produced. I have other pistols/revolvers that fall in to the similar categories. Beyond that, my 'shooters' are H&K's and Glock's.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I love the look of a 1911 . Kimber Custom II , Range Officer , Colt Competition but this weekend was an eye opener .

Reactions: bschneiderheinze
    CZ Shadow 2 from Cajun Gunworks or CZ Custom, those should peak your interest if the 1911/2011 isn't doing it for you.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    If you can save up and get an STI Tactical in 9mm, I recommend you do so. Currently, STI is putting some of the best guns they've ever offered for sale. The workmanship level they are delivering right now is exceptional, better than any they've put out in the past.

I'm a recovering 1911 addict. As I matured in my pistol shooting I learned to not apply pressure to the slide or frame with your thumbs. Applying varying amounts of pressure to the side of the gun will affect your day to day shot placement consistancy.

Reactions: bourbonbent
    Charge the STI on a 0% CC and learn to shoot it. They are just too nice not to have ASAP. In fact once I bought mine and starting winning with it I sold most of my other pistols, including the 1911's. Got spoiled, ruined, for me nothing compared to my 2011 in 40.

I'm not a collector type guy and don't need a pile of pistols I'll rarely shoot. One top of line STI custom, a few other pistols for specific reasons and I'm happy.

Last edited:
    I will likely get hate for this but a 9 MM 1911 is not really a good idea. The gun was designed around a .45 ACP. It is too large and has other issues that are better today. If you want something along the lines of a hammer fired pistol go with a Browning HP. Or go striker fired.
    JMO

So I was planning on purchasing an STI for competition next February .
    Got a little money coming in and thought let's go top tier . Turns out Feb is a long ways away and I'm impatient . So I figure I'll purchase something now , maybe do a trigger job , try some recoil springs and loads . Was even thinkink8ng of taking the slide and putting it up on the bridgeport and milling some lightening cuts . So in the search for my 9mm 1911 I tried a Springfield A2 I believe . I've shot government models in the past but not in comp m Further when I was shooting 1911s I really didn't know what I didn't know . My grip and trigger discipline have greatly matured since . So fast forward to Sunday and aaagggghhhh , I hated it . Don't get me wrong , the thing one holed at eight yards slow fire but that's where it stopped . I have a real h8gh hold and ride the slide with my support hand thumb . The safety is way to low and I stove piped when I rode the slide . I have come to the conclusion that a 1911 is not in the cards for me . Man I feel like a misfit and yet I love XD's and XDM's . Fact is I'm even now looking at the Sig P320 X5 if I can find a friggin 2 to 3lb trigger for it . I do plan on meeting up with a guy to try his STI DVC STEEL so as to completely rule it out but right now 1911s are off the radar . So whatcha think ?

It's all good guy......why the angst thinking you would catch shit here just because you don't like 1911s.

You know some men don't like women, it's okay your accepted.

As much as I am a vehement patron of the 1911 platform, that old warhorse is still the first generation of autoloading handguns. It is vaunted and legendary. It is iconic and instantly recognizable. It was superb and unbeatable for it's time and can still surely hold it's own today. However, 108 years have passed and that means many newer and even more reliable designs have been developed. Sure, anyone can run a first generation PC or first generation Ford crank-start automobile, but they would be left behind by players running newer and more advanced platforms.

As someone who have introduced many people into handgun shooting, I always say this: Don't be concerned about image or outside aesthetics. Go with what you feel is the best for you. There are plenty of reasons why most LE and military organizations do not run the 1911 platform anymore and Glock was named "America's Handgun". I personally would not hesitate to trust my life to the 1911, and that is from years of experience working with the quirks and characteristics of this design. But at the same time, I appreciate all handgun designs equally and own/carry several examples of these as well.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
    I will likely get hate for this but a 9 MM 1911 is not really a good idea. The gun was designed around a .45 ACP. It is too large and has other issues that are better today. If you want something along the lines of a hammer fired pistol go with a Browning HP. Or go striker fired.
    JMO

Jerry Keefer would disagree with you.

He told me, and anyone that would listen, that a ramped 9mm 1911 is the way to go.

Not trying to be argumentative, but that’s just not a factually correct statement.

No offense intended.

He taught me how to build 1911’s. I’m not pulling anything out of my ass here.

But, I shoot a G17 now. I just shoot them faster, and I don’t shoot competitive bullseye, so it makes the most sense. I still love 1911’s, and a properly built ramped 9mm 1911 will outshoot just about anything out there on a bullseye target.

No offense taken. I am a big fan of the 1911 and .45 ACP. That is the only centerfire handgun I use.
    My opinion is that if I personally were going to shoot or carry a 9MM I would go with something smaller, lighter and higher capacity. My three concerns with the 1911 would be addressed in that one change. Size, weight and capacity.
    I am not an expert in pistol design. I just try to get good ones and keep them shooting.

Reactions: bourbonbent
    I've been a 1911 guy since 1980, love them and have had some nice ones. An EBrown executive carry is probably the best I have. In the late 90's I bought a Springfield 1911 9mm, before the "Loaded" days, after one return trip to the factory, it fed decent and was just a hoot to shoot. My first and only 9mm anything. The hop was 2/3 less than a 45 in the same length, easy to shoot. I never liked it as it was really a cheaper offering and dumped it awhile back.
    I replaced it with this:
    All I can say is Wow, and I would never pack a 45acp 1911 again. I am not sure, but nite sights were not offered when I bought, think there is aftermarket now or an option.

No offense taken. I am a big fan of the 1911 and .45 ACP. That is the only centerfire handgun I use.
    My opinion is that if I personally were going to shoot or carry a 9MM I would go with something smaller, lighter and higher capacity. My three concerns with the 1911 would be addressed in that one change. Size, weight and capacity.
    I am not an expert in pistol design. I just try to get good ones and keep them shooting.

I totally agree. I’d rather have 22 rounds in a mag than 8, and I just plain shoot a Glock 9mm faster so it’s a no brainer for me. I don’t even own a 1911 anymore. I do need to get another one though, because reasons.

Depends on the game. 1911 for Bull's Eye, sometimes a Beretta. Beretta is used for 3 gun and action. I'd get a Glock if I shot them more. Carry is either a Glock 30 or Keltec P11, the 5 shot .357 hasn't seen the street for a while.

I tried to like a tricked-out S&W M&P competition variant... I just can't make myself "like" striker-fired pistols for competition. I got a good deal on a fully-dressed Springfield 1911 RO model and had the trigger done... while I like my .45 in the same make/model, the 9mm was just too finicky.

I fondled several STI variants at my LGS. I liked a couple of them... but not $3k+ worth of like for the ones that appealed to me and felt good in my hand. I had seen the CZ Tactical Sport Orange (TSO) advertised online, but my LGS said they were very scarce. I put my name on the wait list... no way I was going to spend $1700+ on a handgun I hadn't tried.

I had the opportunity to try one at a local match. Bingo! I saw one on sale at an online vendor, and took the plunge.

It's a single-action-only, made-for-competition beast - too big to fit in an IDPA box, but good for USPSA Limited. 20-round mag - mine shipped with three (3). The factory trigger pull is very light at well under two pounds, but I really like it. It is not as crisp as a well-tuned 1911 trigger but it's certainly close enough. I've since met three other TSO owners... two had their smith INCREASE trigger pull, fwiw.

The TSO ships in a big plastic case with a bunch of varying-weight springs and other bits.

The one "concession" I've had to make from service-pistol-based platforms is to gauge every one of my 9mm handloads. My son also has a CZ (75), and its chamber is similarly tight. I had a couple of nasty jams my first match with it because I hoover up 9mm range brass whenever I find nice piles of it... there had never been a problem with the Sigs, Glocks, etc. but, of course, they are all service pistols under whatever competition bits get hung on later.

One of the things I really grin at is when one of the little matches has a 3/4-size IPSC steel at 100 yards as a bonus. With jacketed rounds, it is rare for me to miss. I use polymer-coated bullets for short-range stuff - when you buy several thousand on sale, the 2-cents-each difference between bulk lots of jacketed and polymer-coated becomes significant. But the TSO has 100% reliability with everything I've fed it as long as I ensure the rounds fit in my Wilson gage (their spelling).

The guys at my LGS said I could bring it in anytime, hold it up, and yell "For sale!" and I'd be overrun with offers. They've only gotten a couple of 9mm TSOs that I know of, and they sell fast. The .40s stay around marginally longer.

Last edited:
    Sig 320 X5 with a Gray Guns Comp trigger and a DPP cured my desire for an STI DVC Omni. Seriously. The X5 is the most accurate pistol I’ve shot including the Omni.

Reactions: Alphatreedog

Just buy the dang thing!

I went to a gun store/range today looking for an entry level comp gun.
    I shot the Walther steel frame, sig 320 x5, and shadow 2.
    I also go to play with, but not shoot the Walther SF pro and a CZ TSO and several 2011s.

Unlimited budget the TSO OR 2011 is the way to go.

I took home a shadow 2. But, my next gun purchase will be a sig x5. I’m not a huge fan of the 320 platform, but the x5 felt great - simply the best striker trigger I’ve used and whatever polymer they are using is way better than my glocks.
    I would actually buy the sig over the Walther if they cost the same. The sig is a crazy good value @ $700 imo.

I went to a gun store/range today looking for an entry level comp gun.
    I shot the Walther steel frame, sig 320 x5, and shadow 2.
    I also go to play with, but not shoot the Walther SF pro and a CZ TSO and several 2011s.

Unlimited budget the TSO OR 2011 is the way to go.

I took home a shadow 2. But, my next gun purchase will be a sig x5. I’m not a huge fan of the 320 platform, but the x5 felt great - simply the best striker trigger I’ve used and whatever polymer they are using is way better than my glocks.
    I would actually buy the sig over the Walther if they cost the same. The sig is a crazy good value @ $700 imo.
    Sig has tungsten mixed into the polymer for weight . I have a couple pistols with stock triggers and I get the short take up , break and reset of the Grey's trigger but when hundreths of a second counts two to three pounds makes the difference .