• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Opinions please - POF P308 v. Seekins SP10

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I find myself with some extra money and an itch for a semi auto 308. I also find myself moving to shorter barreled, more handy rifles. I have found a couple of used pieces but one of them has very little in the way of reviews on it.

Seekins SP10 - 18" DI
POF P308 Edge - 16" piston

Both are ambi in function, one DI / one piston. Both are within $100 of each other.

Accuracy & reliability are my 2 biggest criteria for purchase. Compatibility for a 6.5 CM upper down the road is factor as well.

So with that being...fire away with any opinions, experiences and comments please. Thank you in advance for the help.

I have an SP10 in 6.5 CM. It's beefy, reliable, fun to shoot. I get right at MOA groups. Take that for what it's worth because I'm certainly no expert with precision gas guns. I'm pretty reliably just over 1/2 MOA with a nice bolt gun.

Im also in the market for the same, but I was being pushed towards the JP PSC/LRP rifles. 4k is quite the cost however I am told that JP delivers exceptionally. I find myself wondering if I need that much gun to get accurate hits at extended ranges. I've owned an LWRC REPR and a Grey Ghost .308. Both in 16" barrels. I have to say that the cost was a bit much for those two as far as performance goes. I also want to shoot 6.5CM. That being said the LMT MWS seems like an ideal choice for barrel/ caliber switching.

Im also in the market for the same, but I was being pushed towards the JP PSC/LRP rifles. 4k is quite the cost however I am told that JP delivers exceptionally. I find myself wondering if I need that much gun to get accurate hits at extended ranges. I've owned an LWRC REPR and a Grey Ghost .308. Both in 16" barrels. I have to say that the cost was a bit much for those two as far as performance goes. I also want to shoot 6.5CM. That being said the LMT MWS seems like an ideal choice for barrel/ caliber switching.

The JP is far outside my budget. So are new in box versions of SP10 & P308. I don't need bench rest accuracy, but I would want something under 1 MOA. I am intrigued by the POF. I'm hoping someone has experience with one. It's certainly no problem spending money on any of them.

I'm a lefty so the ambi guns are definitely my preference. The JP is out of reach for me as well. However I have heard horror stories of people building AR-10s or buying pre-owned to save money and running into issues that cost a decent amount to fix and the costs get so high it might as well have been a new purchase.

If your plan is to slap on a 6.5 upper later, the seekins is out. You will have to rebarrel it since they dont sell uppers.

little self serving post obviously, but ive got a gap 10 im looking walk away from in the px. not opposed to reasonable offers. admittedly higher than a pof, not sure on the jp

Have you thought about putting together a rifle from someone like Aero Precision? That's the route I took, complete assembled upper, ME5 lower, Aero BCG and all compatible since its all from Aero. And all the little bits were chosen to fit just what I wanted.

little self serving post obviously, but ive got a gap 10 im looking walk away from in the px. not opposed to reasonable offers. admittedly higher than a pof, not sure on the jp

Nothing wrong with a little self serving promotion. That is a beautiful rifle.

Have you thought about putting together a rifle from someone like Aero Precision? That's the route I took, complete assembled upper, ME5 lower, Aero BCG and all compatible since its all from Aero. And all the little bits were chosen to fit just what I wanted.

That is an option I have considered. These 2 rifles I found are at good price points. If they don't work out, building one is my second choice.

Reactions: KTAK

I believe brownells sells that package right? For like 1500? Barrel/Upper/Lower and BCG or something to that effect. Not a bad starting point. I wonder though if the JP accessories like the FMOS and SCS would improve the function on the Aero platform.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Wow
Reactions: BigBC
I believe brownells sells that package right? For like 1500? Barrel/Upper/Lower and BCG or something to that effect. Not a bad starting point. I wonder though if the JP accessories like the FMOS and SCS would improve the function on the Aero platform.

I bought my ME5 from a local shop and the assembled upper was on sale over Labor day direct from Aero, 18" barrel with rifle gas and an R one handguard including bolt and charge handle. Bought everything else from who had it and for good prices, Magpul UBR stock, Velocity 4 lb trigger, Magpul K2+ grip, H3 Buffer.

Been totally reliable so far, only thing I am playing with is the recoil spring, mainly I use a clipped rifle spring since I shoot everything from heavy 180 gr loads down to soft 180 loads that are doing only 1700 fps. But most loads are 150's, all my own reloads as this gun hasn't seen a factory bullet and all of these rounds are fired with a fixed gas block that came on the upper.

Right on that make it easier. I think the big thing will be finding the right combo of parts for factory 6.5 ammo since I don't reload or really have the tools for mounting barrels, brakes, buffer tubes. etc..

I can’t speak to the POF, but I’ve got an SP10 in 6.5 CM, and I love it. It’s my first large frame AR, so I’m not an expert on any of this, but I certainly enjoy shooting it. It cycles smoothly and I don’t detect any play or rattle in the rifle. I’ve held the Seekins SP10 in .308, and I think the .308 feels lighter / balances better.

Either way, there’s no grit in the charging handle or action, the trigger breaks clean, and the rifle is capable of much more accuracy than I am, currently, so I give the Seekins a strong endorsement. You can get new ones for around $1,800, and if you feel like you’re outgrowing it, skill-wise, send it to GA Precision or River’s Bend and have them work their magic on it.

Reactions: Smitty192
Avoid POF at all cost. They use to have accurate guns when they used Rock Creek blanks but that’s been years ago.

They have had many CS and accuracy issues over the years. A quick google search will net you several if not multiple horror stories. They seem to be really hot or miss. Most of the reviews on YouTube and other places they seem to barely muster 1moa with match quality Ammo. You would be much better saving for a JP or go with the Seekins.

Reactions: deersniper
Avoid POF at all cost. They use to have accurate guns when they used Rock Creek blanks but that’s been years ago.

They have had many CS and accuracy issues over the years. A quick google search will net you several if not multiple horror stories. They seem to be really hot or miss. Most of the reviews on YouTube and other places they seem to barely muster 1moa with match quality Ammo. You would be much better saving for a JP or go with the Seekins.

Lowlight raves about his in some of the older forum post. Some of the newer reviews are troubling. That makes a little more sense now.

I own a couple JP rifles, and am a huge proponent of their produts. That being said, my brother just purhased an SP10 in 65CM. We took it out two days ago. He was running Hornady 140 Match and 140 American Gunner. I was surprised to see they both shot pretty damn good. The Match performed a bit better, but he had no issue hitting a plate at 1k with the American Gunner. He put 6 rounds within a 10" spread.

The Seekins is damn near half the price of the LRP 07 (my bro got his for a great price, but even if you pay retail, they're still about half of the LRP 07). The price to performance ratio is very high on the Seekins. I wouldn't place the POF in the same universe, personally, but to each their own.

Just for another option, check out SOLGW, sons of liberty gun works, out of san Antonio. I have a 308 mk10 from them. Shoots extremely well. They have different mk10s based on what you want...battle rifle, precision rifle, etc.

Good mil/le discount also if you qualify. Lifetime warranty. Base guns are configurable, but you can also just call them up and ask them to build whatever you want (unless its a retarded configuration or using junk parts).

One thing to note, their priority is reliable guns, so they probably will not mess with the gamer gun, edge of function stuff.

I'm assuming your price range is around $2k judging by those 2 guns? I just picked up an LMT MWS 308 from my LGS for $2k, they go for around that price on gunbroker a good bit as well. I am very pleased with it, monolithic upper, quick change barrel system (2 screws, and takes about 1 minute to change to a new barrel). So when you want a 6.5 creed down the road, you could just get a new barrel if you wanted to save some money, or a complete new upper. There is a massive thread on the hide dedicated to them. They are incredible guns, IMO you can't get a better gun for ~$2k. I know it's not 1 of the 2 you listed, but I think it's worth your while to check them out.

Reactions: Jsp556
Asking for opinions on what to buy is tuff, its your nuggets not theirs. POF doesn't get much love, Seekins does.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. To me it comes down to piston VS DI and barrel length.

Good luck

Last edited:
LMT MWS Defender for the win. New on LMT’s site for $2299 and cheaper if your LGS is a LMT dealer.

Reactions: LeadZeke
I have no first hand knowledge about the Seekins, but here's our experience with POF. I just pasted this post from a previous thread about POF:

"We had a similar experience with POF. Our PD bought two of their 308 rifles for our sniper team before I was on it.
The guy who made the decision to buy them had spoken with the owner over the phone who supposedly guaranteed that we would be satisfied or they would buy the rifles back.
There was nothing but trouble from the start, but the two guys shooting them just chalked it up to the typical issues when going from a bolt to a semi. When I got on the team I was authorized to shoot my own rifle due to budget issues. I won't get into the brand of my rifle because I don't want it to look like I'm just a fanboy, but it was a factory built semi-automatic 308 that shot acceptably. Everyone else could shoot my rifle just fine (~.5-1moa), nobody could shoot either of the POFs under 2".

We finally contacted POF because the screws holding the top rail, and the handguard, sheered off. We thought maybe that was the issue and we just didn't notice it earlier. We sent the rifle in and they said it was our fault and blamed us on using a ft/lb wrench instead of an in/lb. I GUARANTEE nobody did such a thing because we don't even have any ft/lb wrenches at our disposal...but they still blamed us and said they could "upgrade" our rifles for a nominal fee. They also "somewhat" admitted that the barrel was defective, although they said it meets their "normal" accuracy specs, but not their "law enforcement" accuracy specs. They still would only offer to upgrade the rifles at our expense witch would include their new style handguard and a new-and-improved barrel. I was against the upgrade because I had no faith in the rifles or the company and knew that those rifles would be nearly impossible to get replaced by our department if they dumped more money into them. Not surprisingly, they decided to go for the upgrade. It took them MONTHS to get it back to us. They used a number of excuses from slow shipments from their barrel supplier, to not being able to get to the range to test fire it, etc. The whole thing gave us the impression that they were either blowing us off or were having some other type of issues.

They finally sent the first rifle back to us and we sent our second one to them for the same upgrade. The one we got back still wouldn't shoot. There were also already signs of carrier tilt on the brand new carrier...indicating that they did test fire it (they said the did, but never provided a target proving accuracy). They of course blamed the carrier wear on the JP silent captured spring and denied any carrier tilt even though the wear matched every picture on the internet associated with carrier tilt. It continued to have accuracy issues...not necessarily just generally wide groups, but 2-3 rounds out of a five shot group that would just be inches away from the others

While the 2nd rifle was still there, they took the first one to a shooting class where it continued to have issues. Instructors (VERY highly respected) shot the rifle and had the same results. I guess they cited issues with the piston system being affected by the orientation of the rifle when being shot (whether fired generally horizontally or aimed down at a steeper angle). I can't quote all that for sure because I wasn't at that class and I got the impression that a lot was lost in translation. It just gave an even worse feeling because we either figured that they sent us a rifle that they new still wasn't shooting acceptably, or never test fired it like they said they did.

Months go by while we wait for the 2nd rifle. They give the same excuses as with the first. If I recall correctly, the 2nd rifle spent 4-5 months with them. All the while we're checking every 2 weeks or so and getting the same run around about their barrel supplier. It didn't hold water with me because I didn't see how a rifle manufacturer could go months without sending any product out the door.

After all was said and done, we sold the rifles for a huge loss and put the meager funds toward better options. From when we sent the first rifle in, to when we got our current rifles was probably close to 1.5 years. We all either shot our own rifles or used our spotter guns during that time.

Needless to say, I won't be purchasing or recommending POF to anyone. LE or otherwise, we were customers who were treated very poorly regarding tools we had to rely on for some serious needs. Everyone we dealt with just seemed like a bunch of shysters who just made up another excuse to kick the can down the road another few weeks."

I have no first hand knowledge about the Seekins, but here's our experience with POF. I just pasted this post from a previous thread about POF:

"We had a similar experience with POF. Our PD bought two of their 308 rifles for our sniper team before I was on it.
The guy who made the decision to buy them had spoken with the owner over the phone who supposedly guaranteed that we would be satisfied or they would buy the rifles back.
There was nothing but trouble from the start, but the two guys shooting them just chalked it up to the typical issues when going from a bolt to a semi. When I got on the team I was authorized to shoot my own rifle due to budget issues. I won't get into the brand of my rifle because I don't want it to look like I'm just a fanboy, but it was a factory built semi-automatic 308 that shot acceptably. Everyone else could shoot my rifle just fine (~.5-1moa), nobody could shoot either of the POFs under 2".

We finally contacted POF because the screws holding the top rail, and the handguard, sheered off. We thought maybe that was the issue and we just didn't notice it earlier. We sent the rifle in and they said it was our fault and blamed us on using a ft/lb wrench instead of an in/lb. I GUARANTEE nobody did such a thing because we don't even have any ft/lb wrenches at our disposal...but they still blamed us and said they could "upgrade" our rifles for a nominal fee. They also "somewhat" admitted that the barrel was defective, although they said it meets their "normal" accuracy specs, but not their "law enforcement" accuracy specs. They still would only offer to upgrade the rifles at our expense witch would include their new style handguard and a new-and-improved barrel. I was against the upgrade because I had no faith in the rifles or the company and knew that those rifles would be nearly impossible to get replaced by our department if they dumped more money into them. Not surprisingly, they decided to go for the upgrade. It took them MONTHS to get it back to us. They used a number of excuses from slow shipments from their barrel supplier, to not being able to get to the range to test fire it, etc. The whole thing gave us the impression that they were either blowing us off or were having some other type of issues.

They finally sent the first rifle back to us and we sent our second one to them for the same upgrade. The one we got back still wouldn't shoot. There were also already signs of carrier tilt on the brand new carrier...indicating that they did test fire it (they said the did, but never provided a target proving accuracy). They of course blamed the carrier wear on the JP silent captured spring and denied any carrier tilt even though the wear matched every picture on the internet associated with carrier tilt. It continued to have accuracy issues...not necessarily just generally wide groups, but 2-3 rounds out of a five shot group that would just be inches away from the others

While the 2nd rifle was still there, they took the first one to a shooting class where it continued to have issues. Instructors (VERY highly respected) shot the rifle and had the same results. I guess they cited issues with the piston system being affected by the orientation of the rifle when being shot (whether fired generally horizontally or aimed down at a steeper angle). I can't quote all that for sure because I wasn't at that class and I got the impression that a lot was lost in translation. It just gave an even worse feeling because we either figured that they sent us a rifle that they new still wasn't shooting acceptably, or never test fired it like they said they did.

Months go by while we wait for the 2nd rifle. They give the same excuses as with the first. If I recall correctly, the 2nd rifle spent 4-5 months with them. All the while we're checking every 2 weeks or so and getting the same run around about their barrel supplier. It didn't hold water with me because I didn't see how a rifle manufacturer could go months without sending any product out the door.

After all was said and done, we sold the rifles for a huge loss and put the meager funds toward better options. From when we sent the first rifle in, to when we got our current rifles was probably close to 1.5 years. We all either shot our own rifles or used our spotter guns during that time.

Needless to say, I won't be purchasing or recommending POF to anyone. LE or otherwise, we were customers who were treated very poorly regarding tools we had to rely on for some serious needs. Everyone we dealt with just seemed like a bunch of shysters who just made up another excuse to kick the can down the road another few weeks."

The more I read and hear from people, this seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for the write up and feedback. I would be curious which rifle you were using. If you'd like, feel free to PM me some of the details. I would be interested in hearing about it.

I was, and am still shooting a JP LRP-07. I just didn't want to put it in that last thread because I didn't want the message potentially attacked due to people thinking I'm a fanboy, hater, etc.

I was, and am still shooting a JP LRP-07. I just didn't want to put it in that last thread because I didn't want the message potentially attacked due to people thinking I'm a fanboy, hater, etc.

Well put me in the JP LPR-07 fanboy column.... and I say that with no remorse whatsoever.

Well put me in the JP LPR-07 fanboy column.... and I say that with no remorse whatsoever.

I have heard nothing but good things about that platform. It is a bit outside my budget...for now. I might be tempted into the GAP 10 or Seekins price point. The more I read the more tempted I am to buy something along those lines. This might be my time to buy a legacy piece.

I'm a huge fan of my rifle and their products, I just didn't want to give other people a reason to disregard everything in that post by saying such a thing. I wanted the experience to remain as objective as possible. No remorse

Reactions: TXBO
I'm a huge fan of my rifle and their products, I just didn't want to give other people a reason to disregard everything in that post by saying such a thing. I wanted the experience to remain as objective as possible. No remorse

I own an SP10. I got to shoot it side by side with the JP several months ago. The SP10 is a nice rifle but the JP is a whole other animal.

I own an SP10. I got to shoot it side by side with the JP several months ago. The SP10 is a nice rifle but the JP is a whole other animal.

Maybe I'll put the in the PX

WTB: Whole other animal 308

All kidding aside...I am seriously leaning towards something that nature.

Reactions: deersniper and TXBO
Anyone have any source to build a large frame AR? That might be an option. Although, the cost may be close to a factory build product.

I too was trying to decide between the Seekins, GAP and JP rifles. But once I got my hands on a LMT MWS the decision was easy.

The LMT MWS platform offers very good options for barrel and caliber switching. Very happy with my LMT 6.5 Long Range rifle with 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 barrels. The monolithic upper on the LMT MRP and MWS platforms gives you much more space to position your optics, especially if you need to position the optic further forward for ideal eye relief and reach. Plus it's very rigid...

Great pricing can be found here: https://v1tactical.com/product-category/firearms/

Click Here for Recent Guns America Review on LMT MWS.

Thanks for the link and info. I am completely ignorant to this platform. Although, it certainly looks interesting. Any idea who makes their barrels?

I have the POF Revolution and I love it. Have you looked at that? If not...it's an AR15 chambered in 308, so the size & weight of a 556 AR. Mine is less than 7.5lbs, and I have the Piston version, the DI version is a little lighter. They also have a 6.5cm upper for it.

One of the top 3gun competitors (Keith Garcia) runs them hard in competition. He even competed in the 556 division with the Revolution, just to prove that he could be competitive with it.

I have nothing bad to say about it, it's a great platform.

The JP is far outside my budget. So are new in box versions of SP10 & P308. I don't need bench rest accuracy, but I would want something under 1 MOA. I am intrigued by the POF. I'm hoping someone has experience with one. It's certainly no problem spending money on any of them.
POF quality went to heck for a while. Not sure if they are good now or not

If you want a seekins find one of the 25-30% off certificates and you can get a new one priced right

I have the POF Revolution and I love it. Have you looked at that? If not...it's an AR15 chambered in 308, so the size & weight of a 556 AR. Mine is less than 7.5lbs, and I have the Piston version, the DI version is a little lighter. They also have a 6.5cm upper for it.

One of the top 3gun competitors (Keith Garcia) runs them hard in competition. He even competed in the 556 division with the Revolution, just to prove that he could be competitive with it.

I have nothing bad to say about it, it's a great platform.

These are intriguing. It's a shame PoF went away from Rock barrels and Giesslle triggers. I have a P308 and a couple 556 uppers from that time frame and they are hammers. Shoot unbelievably well.

Reactions: Pusher591
That's the first I've seen of V1 tactical. for that price, I'd buy the LMT 10 times out of 10 over the POF or Seekins.

John has been a LMT dealer for a while, though I don't know how long...

The website is new. Found him on the FaceBook LMT groups.

He's got the best prices that I've seen. Very easy/flexible to work with and responds quickly to questions...

That's great to know, I will definitely be using him in the future. I need a 6.5 creed barrel!

These are intriguing. It's a shame PoF went away from Rock barrels and Giesslle triggers. I have a P308 and a couple 556 uppers from that time frame and they are hammers. Shoot unbelievably well.

I had an opportunity to shoot a P308 gen3 some years back. I was impressed. More so wen I had to clean it. I'm lazy and it cleaned up in a breeze.