• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Optics/Scope choice

MSuttonRN

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Well after reading how duplicate questions angers this crowd, Im hesitant to even ask this question: BUT Im going to anyway.
I read the optics sticky, and it answered alot of questions, but my confusion is, do I need a FFP or SFP reticle, and what brands of optics are better for my application. I shoot alot of benchrest and long distance bench matches, with known distances. However Im building a tactical type rifle in 7 SAUM, to shoot UKD matches. The only spare scope I have is a NF NSX 12-42 with a railroad track reticle; but am considering the Premier Heritage 5-25 with not sure which reticle. Also, as of right now I am clueless on how to range a target with a reticle, but will be taking a 2 day class on this and many other things, when the rifle is complete. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Re: Optics/Scope choice

12-42 is too high up in the mag. range for field work. Also, your reticle might as well be an outline of Mickey Mouse.

If you plan on ranging with your scope, your going to want a reticle with Mil markings. SFP will work, but you will need to be concious of what mag. you're on at all times. FFP it wont matter one bit.

PR makes a great scope, and the GenII XR reticle is a nice feature to have.

Re: Optics/Scope choice

Thanks Waldo, I appreciate the information. Im gonna be confused enough to start with, I think Im going for the FFP.