• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

For those with both the TL3 and origin:

How does smoothness of cycling compare? I had my TL3 out with my Nucleus yesterday and much preferred the feel of the TL3. Wondering if I should have gone with Origin instead of Nucleus.

I received my Origin on Tuesday and could not get it to function with my Timney CE. Called Bighorn yesterday and spoke with Ray. 1 day turn around to make the action function with my trigger, $50 to time my bolt/trigger. In the mail today!

I think what you have to remember is Bighorn can only control the specs on their products. If there are inconsistencies in Timney's products, Bighorn cannot control that. My Origin functions with another trigger so I can't say the action is out of spec. Similarly, my CE functions in another action. I'm just happy that when I called Ray was polite and said "send it in, we'll get it fixed and turned around in a day (paraphrased)". Can't wait to get this rig built and going.

I received my Origin on Tuesday and could not get it to function with my Timney CE. Called Bighorn yesterday and spoke with Ray. 1 day turn around to make the action function with my trigger, $50 to time my bolt/trigger. In the mail today!

I think what you have to remember is Bighorn can only control the specs on their products. If there are inconsistencies in Timney's products, Bighorn cannot control that. My Origin functions with another trigger so I can't say the action is out of spec. Similarly, my CE functions in another action. I'm just happy that when I called Ray was polite and said "send it in, we'll get it fixed and turned around in a day (paraphrased)". Can't wait to get this rig built and going.

And that is exactly why I would suggest the work be performed by professionals.... it’s cheap insurance, and quick turnaround.

The process of ordering extra parts, waiting for the parts, filing the parts, hoping u get it right... man by then they’d had it done already.....

Reactions: JaoeyP

Well, heck! I shoulda just sent them my CG-22 trigger for that amount!

Guess we'll see if it works okay first. Besides, my bottom metal is on backorder... :cry:

Well, heck! I shoulda just sent them my CG-22 trigger for that amount!

Guess we'll see if it works okay first. Besides, my bottom metal is on backorder... :cry:

Just get a MagPul bottom metal! Mine functioned at least 72% of the time!

Reactions: King_beardsly
Enjoying my Origin got it out to the range yesterday. Athlon Cronus, Origin Action, 6br custom barrel, KRG Bravo chassis. Barrel and cerakote were done by Greysteel.

Attachments

• 20181210_174530.jpg
    20181210_174530.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 124
Wowzers.....that's quite the color combo you have there. I like being different and you certainly nailed it with that. Good stuff.

Reubenski has it right, it ain’t gonna change much other than feel... but damn is one finger open and close such a f’n pleasure to run.

BTW: looks like a sexy lil rifle u got there partner.

Here’s mine.View attachment 6981485View attachment 6981488
What inlet did you go with from Grayboe? I've been talking with their CS who says they'll have an Origin-specific inlet soon. Until then, I'm holding off on ordering a terrain.

As of today, I have approximately 300 rounds through my Bighorn Origin/6br build. For reference I have two other Bighorn Actions: a TL-3 in 300 WM, and my son's lefty SR-3 in 6x45. All built by Aaron Roberts, all tack drivers.

The Bighorn Origin is a pleasure to shoot. They hit a homerun here. Aaron built my Origin/6br with a 22" Broughton 8 twist, a Timney 510, in an XLR Envy Chassis. The trigger functions as is should with no issues as noted above. The action is smooth, and "feels" much more expensive than what I paid for it. The 6br shoots 3/8's with 107 SMK's at 2810 behind 30.2 grains of varget, cci 450's, and a .020 jump. The gun shoots the same with 95 nosler ballistic tips at 2900, and my son took his first buck with it this weekend at 150 yards...devastating performance to say the least.

Likewise, my other TL-3 runs perfectly well with a trigger tech, and shoots consistently .5 with Factory hornady precision hunter 200 eld-x loads. My sons SR-3 runs just fine with a jewell, and holds consistent .5 moa with hastily loaded 95 smk's and 95 Nosler BT's .

I'll be ordering another Origin action if I decide to build a lightweight "mountain" gun. I am very impressed with what they've done.

Edited to add: If anyone is on the fence for 6BR due to magazine issues, do yourself a favor and buy the Primal Rights mag kits...they perform flawlessly. I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Jackomason
As of today, I have approximately 300 rounds through my Bighorn Origin/6br build. For reference I have two other Bighorn Actions: a TL-3 in 300 WM, and my son's lefty SR-3 in 6x45. All built by Aaron Roberts, all tack drivers.

The Bighorn Origin is a pleasure to shoot. They hit a homerun here. Aaron built my Origin/6br with a 22" Broughton 8 twist, a Timney 510, in an XLR Envy Chassis. The trigger functions as is should with no issues as noted above. The action is smooth, and "feels" much more expensive than what I paid for it. The 6br shoots 3/8's with 107 SMK's at 2810 behind 30.2 grains of varget, cci 450's, and a .020 jump. The gun shoots the same with 95 nosler ballistic tips at 2900, and my son took his first buck with it this weekend at 150 yards...devastating performance to say the least.

Likewise, my other TL-3 runs perfectly well with a trigger tech, and shoots consistently .5 with Factory hornady precision hunter 200 eld-x loads. My sons SR-3 runs just fine with a jewell, and holds consistent .5 moa with hastily loaded 95 smk's and 95 Nosler BT's .

I'll be ordering another Origin action if I decide to build a lightweight "mountain" gun. I am very impressed with what they've done.

Edited to add: If anyone is on the fence for 6BR due to magazine issues, do yourself a favor and buy the Primal Rights mag kits...they perform flawlessly. I was pleasantly surprised.

Good to here! I just ordered my origin last night.

i just got a 6BR barrel for my origin as well. just waiting for my action to come back from Bighorn getting timed. i ordered two primal rights kits and bought one AI AICS mag and a MDT 12-rd mag. going to modify the kit to work in the MDT mag (a buddy did it successfully). good to know they work well!

i just got a 6BR barrel for my origin as well. just waiting for my action to come back from Bighorn getting timed. i ordered two primal rights kits and bought one AI AICS mag and a MDT 12-rd mag. going to modify the kit to work in the MDT mag (a buddy did it successfully). good to know they work well!

When did you send your action in to get timed?

Couldn't agree more i love my brother's Origin, honestly more so than my TL3 and dad's SR3. It is very slick and for the promotional price an incredible value at $730.

What does timing the action do?

Damn I built my son a 28" 6br on a origin action with a bartlein barrel hoping to get into the 2950 range with the 105's and 107's. It looks with results out of a 22" that might be a pretty easy task. We have been running barnes 105 match burners and 30.5 vargets to break the barrel in.

So I have a trigger on hand that I will throw on for the time being till I can upgrade, do I just wait to get the action timed (if i need to) till I have the trigger I intend to use? is there a chance that getting it timed to the first trigger will render the next trigger useless? this is my first custom action as well so theres lots to learn.

Glad I did it myself. If you need someone to do it for you, I can put you in contact with my Smith. He is very competent at this. He is also installing fluted firing pins and heavier springs in a bunch of ours' actions to eliminate light strikes with mil ammo.
Would you mind sending over your smith info?
I want to get my trigger timed as well.

How much difference does the trigger really make?

Not asking rhetorically, or to be a smart a$$.

Coming from the Savage side of things, I'm not real familiar with the interaction between the trigger and bolt lift/close forces on a R700 pattern action.

How much difference does the trigger really make?

Not asking rhetorically, or to be a smart a$$.

Coming from the Savage side of things, I'm not real familiar with the interaction between the trigger and bolt lift/close forces on a R700 pattern action.
I came from savage as well, like 100%. I have been selling off a lot of savage's for origin, nucleuses, tenacitys, etc. Like being able to keep my barrels (except for with the tenacity) and get a trigger that fits the style of shooting I am doing (etc, crazy light tt diamonds for benchrest, tacports at 10oz for "tactical"). I haven't done any trigger timing yet but plan to in the near future.

Hey there... still have that .308 barrel I bought off ya for my 10 BA Stealth. Nice little multi-caliber rig (.223 Rem, 6.5 CM, .308 Win) (y)

The Origin is my first foray into the non-Savage world in a very long time... like since a bad experience with a Stiller TAC 30, back when they were new.

Got mine in hand today... so much to learn. Love the field strip-able bolt! The handle is a little shorter than I expected, even taking into account the sweep/angle. No biggie, and I love the aesthetic of it.

My question about the trigger effecting the bolt lift wasn't rhetorical at all; put a trigger on that Origin this afternoon, and the result was not what I expected.

Nice. Glad you are liking the barrel.

The origin was my first as well. Ordered 2x nucleus and origins at the same time and got the origins first. I have noticed that depending on the trigger the bolt lift is changed quite a bit. So need to find a good smith to time them for me, never had to do it with savages, just had to take them as they were. I have been reading about it and watching some videos, but still think i will have a professional do it.

So... probably a stupid question, but from one Savage guy to another... how the frak do you remove the extractor on one of these (Origin)?!? :unsure:;)

I have not removed it yet, but if I am thinking correctly you just need a pin to push down into the small hole in the extractor.

Got it. Just needed a smaller pin - like the tip of a mechanical drafting pin. Still a little awkward, kinda like getting used to the bayonet operation of the firing pin assembly. Instead of a detent ball, there is a pin with a tapered point that fits in a tapered recess in the underside of the extractor. Definitely not going anywhere accidentally!

Reactions: andrewsben