• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

Next is to put it all together

46924436261_c20782d414_z.jpg

Chad

Last edited:
You must have the Savage large shank and you need the Savage small shank. Looks like a nice build.

Didn’t read through everything to see if it has been mentioned but hunts long range came out with a recoil lug to use with the origin in order to headspace properly using TL3 shouldered prefits. There is a video up on their FB page where they talk about it. Very cool option.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
What kind of magazines has everyone been running? Are the feed ramps cut at all to allow longer c.o.a.l? Any issues with mags that dont have a binder plate?

What kind of magazines has everyone been running? Are the feed ramps cut at all to allow longer c.o.a.l? Any issues with mags that dont have a binder plate?
I had to file the lips on my magpul AI to use them if they had pressure of them (Barricade,Bags, ETC.) Thats with a Mcmillan A5 and surgeon bottom metal. I love the MDT 12 round mags! they feel so smooth and feed great!

Will proof barreled Origin actions be available direct from Bighorn in the near future?

I'll take a 16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ericsl2 and vol375
expertvoice is so confusing. Anyone know where I can find the proof barrels once on the site?

FRIDAY, I tried to order a shouldered prefit from PROOF. Sales said not available at this time. No further information. I did order 2 barrels and will have local smith fit them for me.

expertvoice is so confusing. Anyone know where I can find the proof barrels once on the site?

It's easy: Log in > Search "Proof" > Click Proof Research Logo > If you haven't earned your certification, review and test > Click "Shop" > Click "Bighorn Pre Fit"

Reactions: vigildom7
I sent in my Origin and Huber trigger this week. Just got off the phone with Robbie that it’s done and I should see it early next week! Perfect! I should have all my parts and tools by then!

Reactions: Precisiondada
I'm going the DIY route because i hate taking my gun apart and being without lol.

ordered a spare cocking piece from Robbie yesterday, shipped it out same day.

will be a week or two before i have the chance to try it

+1 on the bighorn team being top notch

Can someone tell me how to time it myself? I really don’t want to send it back

Basically file the cocking piece ramp at the SAME ANGLE until it improves. Take off a little at a time and check it by reinserting/cycling the bolt. I did mine and it improved dramatically. Back quite a few pages in this thread there is more discussion and pictures about it from reubenski.

Basically file the cocking piece ramp at the SAME ANGLE until it improves. Take off a little at a time and check it by reinserting/cycling the bolt. I did mine and it improved dramatically. Back quite a few pages in this thread there is more discussion and pictures about it from reubenski.

Page 15, Post#725 in this thread.

TM6

Everything besides the scope and bipod and suppressor I used certs I have gotten from various competitions. It’s an MPA Hybrid folder chassis, Bighorn Origen in 224V, 26” 1:6.5 Criterion barrel, Huber trigger.

Morning, will someone that owns an Origin do me a favor and measure the length of the action please?

From the front face of the recoil lug attached to the receiver to the back of tang.

Thanks

Anyone else see this?
I know mine was a smidge short of closing on a go Gage. I wonder if other vendors are having issues too.

View attachment 7026028
Just saw it as well. Shot John an email to see if my Origin that he did last year still has the specs for any future barrels or if I'll need to send the action back.

Just saw it as well. Shot John an email to see if my Origin that he did last year still has the specs for any future barrels or if I'll need to send the action back.

Did you send in your action to be fitted, or did he just do a prefit based on the nominal?
Mine was just based on the nominal and would up about a thou tight.

I just sent my origin in to John. I have no problem sending the action in to ensure proper fitment. Then he will have my specs and can spin up another perfect fitting barrel.

Another plus is John is very fast at what he does so you won’t have to wait for months like some other shops.

Chad

I just sent my origin in to John. I have no problem sending the action in to ensure proper fitment. Then he will have my specs and can spin up another perfect fitting barrel.
Ready
Another plus is John is very fast at what he does so you won’t have to wait for months like some other shops.

Chad
Definitely agreed. He spun up my first barrel in less than 2 weeks.
I will probably do the same and have him document the receiver when this one starts heading south.

OK guys, for the timing job, I'm filing until the pin protrusion when cocked and bolt DOWN is 0.090", correct? Currently sticks out about 0.120 on a Jewell trigger

9 thousandths of pin protrusion out the back? When I have the bolt out of the gun in the cocked position, my dial calipers say it is sticking out 0.082

9 thousandths of pin protrusion out the back? When I have the bolt out of the gun in the cocked position, my dial calipers say it is sticking out 0.082

I can measure mine for you guys. Had it done by my local smith.

Reactions: axio
Anyone else see this?
I know mine was a smidge short of closing on a go Gage. I wonder if other vendors are having issues too.

View attachment 7026028

Well that sucks. One of the reasons I went with this was because of shouldered prefits and not having to send the action everywhere.

Looks like my savage barrel nut is here to stay. Really wanted shouldered prefits though.

Put your firing pin back in the bolt body. Put the bolt in the rifle. Slide the bolt forward until you can lower the bolt. As you lower the bolt handle you'll feel a click and your firing pin will recede slightly into the shroud. This is the cocking piece centering itself in the small notch just past the ramp in the bolt body. Take this measurement. How much the pin protrudes out the back of the shroud. Lower your bolt handle and watch the pin extend out of the back of the shroud even more. This is the compression you are defeating. Measure this protrusion out the back of the shroud and compare your two measurements. This is how much compression you have. Now remove the entire bolt and file on the cocking piece, careful to maintain the same angle in the cocking piece where it makes contact with the sear. Remove material until the difference in protrusion between these two positions is in the neighborhood of 5 thou.
Ahhh understood, that's very helpful. Looks like at the click, I'm at 0.070. I'll aim for 0.075!

This does NOT change firing position when the hammer drops, correct? Looking at the mechanism, I can't see how it would

What do you mean by firing position
Just how much the firing pin sticks out. But nope, it doesn't checked. What I noticed though was the "clicked" firing pin protrusion measurement kept reducing the more I filed, so in a way it was as if the measurement with the bolt closed was chasing the measurement of the "clicked" position. Also seemed the like "clicked" position became more pronounced when entering the click. Either way, what I had measured as 0.070 in click, ended up moving down to 0.050 in click. I stopped filing when the closed position was at 0.060. And wow, big difference in feel. Hopefully not light fires!