• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Overlander Junkies

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
Where are the overlander junkies? I’m looking to add some more outdoor utility to my truck.

I use a truck bed tent from kodiak canvas. It works great and short people like myself can stand up inside it. My wife and I use bunk bed cots. My problem with the setup is storage once it’s erected. Everything has to come out of the bed of the truck to use it.

For those of you with rack systems, how do you like it? My only concern is losing the utility of the truck bed for hauling my motorcycle or other taller stuff like furniture on occasion

7D0A68D0-BC50-4EAC-AEE7-7E30309D978C.jpeg

Last year I ran into a guy with a four door Wrangler up on Hagerman Pass with a pop-up mounted on top of his rig. He said it was made specifically for the Wrangler. That got me thinking that you could do the same above a truck bed, at cab height, like mounted on a lumber rack, leaving the bed for cargo, or original hauling purposes.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I use to have an S10 crew cab set up for overland. It had a topper and a tent that that covered the rest of the topper when it was open.

My kitchen, clothes, tools, and so on was all in totes that went under or over the truck. The totes made it easy to load and unload, and kept the gear secure and dry.

I'm either setting up a van, or getting another Toyota for my new truck.

You certainly give a bit up by going to a rack and rooftop tent. My concern was also furniture and the other odds n ends. My wife and I camp enough to make it worth putting on and I have honestly never felt that it was an inconvenience (yet). During the fall/winter and hunting seasons I take it off to free up my bed. I have a TuffStuff roof top tent. Great price and great quality. I have had it several years and really like it.

Looks like a nice setup and a good price point.

mobile mill so you could build a bridge in moments , oh adding a dutch style wind mill to your truck you could run off air power lol

Reactions: Tchitcherine
I built a rack my for 350 that works well for my needs.

Attachments

• 2DCDFA8D-2F0B-4B6A-A801-54C19B7E4509.jpeg
    2DCDFA8D-2F0B-4B6A-A801-54C19B7E4509.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 166
  • F3FA4D27-7DD6-424D-B007-4A6E033935A2.jpeg
    F3FA4D27-7DD6-424D-B007-4A6E033935A2.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 168
  • C9AD1CD6-39C5-4548-99BB-BC4D47626E00.jpeg
    C9AD1CD6-39C5-4548-99BB-BC4D47626E00.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 7A5B61DC-074A-458D-BDF0-B624B24017DC.jpeg
    7A5B61DC-074A-458D-BDF0-B624B24017DC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
I haul a gooseneck regularly though, so the rack only goes on a couple times a year then comes off immediately. It’s a simple 5 minutes installation with 2 men.

Attachments

• 2C491966-8BF3-4B73-B5A3-3ADB3FF914CE.jpeg
    2C491966-8BF3-4B73-B5A3-3ADB3FF914CE.jpeg
    491.7 KB · Views: 77
Are you guys seeing an advantage to having a tent mounted to the truck or rack?
I do a lot of truck camping and have a 10x12 instant tent ($200.00) that I can set up in less than 3 min.
I don’t have to climb a ladder to take a leak @ 1am, no lugging sleeping bags, pads, etc up and down.

Absolutely. In the summertime I can open up the vents, and get a much better breeze 7’ off the ground. In the cooler weather close up the vents and flaps, and the 3”+ mattress keeps you plenty we’ll insulated. Also don't have to worry about anything unwanted crawling into the tent with you such as snakes and insects. I use 5 totes in the bed of my truck for storage. Each one for different style items. I keep the camping gear in one tote, and kitchen gear in another tote. Those stay at the tailgate since they’re used the most. Fishing gear, sleeping gear, and tools/recovery gear stay closer to the cab. Leaves the cab free up for sitting space, or the pups in the backseat.

Absolutely. In the summertime I can open up the vents, and get a much better breeze 7’ off the ground. In the cooler weather close up the vents and flaps, and the 3”+ mattress keeps you plenty we’ll insulated. Also don't have to worry about anything unwanted crawling into the tent with you such as snakes and insects. I use 5 totes in the bed of my truck for storage. Each one for different style items. I keep the camping gear in one tote, and kitchen gear in another tote. Those stay at the tailgate since they’re used the most. Fishing gear, sleeping gear, and tools/recovery gear stay closer to the cab. Leaves the cab free up for sitting space, or the pups in the backseat.
What do you do to secure the stuff in your bed with no toneau cover, do you lock the totes, assuming they are weather proof.

What do you do to secure the stuff in your bed with no toneau cover, do you lock the totes, assuming they are weather proof.

Anything of real value is locked inside the truck. I’ve got a couple German Shepherds that hang out in the truck as well. No covers or locks of any sort. The totes are weather proof, and remain in the bed.

Reactions: seansmd
I have two lower cross bars with a pop up tent on it for camping. Can still slide totes in and out from under the tent but still high enough off the ground so that I won't have to worry about stuff getting in the tent with me. It is 8 bolts if i decide I want to take the rack off so it is simple if i need to haul anything tall.

My setup, tonneau provide light security for stuff in the bed. Without the tent bikes for sure, motorcycles would be a challenge without removing cross member which is easy.

p
20200119_071452.jpg

I build bed racks for truck beds. Part of my design criteria was having the crossbars be able to move where needed or be removed. Having the full-height utility of a truck bed is something that should be kept. I have used all methods of camping, and all have perks. Open camping, tarp, bivvy, micro tent, tent, big tent, rooftop tent, camper. My least favorite camping method of all is the truck bed tent like you have. They are very cold, you have to take everything out of the bed, you're more exposed to wind, you have to get up and down the tailgate, and they generally keep you from being able to use any kind of tonneau. I much prefer a ground tent for most uses, and especially over truck bed tents. Ground tents can be sheltered by the vehicle and anything you want can stay in the truck bed.

Bed racks are cool if you either want to run a rooftop tent, or want a place to mount an awning or a tray to carry gear, or shovel, axe, fuel can.

Reactions: aslrookie
Tent up, full access to the bed, and tonneau can open and close and lock at night.
20200222_163446.jpg

3 screws and I can tilt the rear cross member out of the way and back down when tall things are loaded. 4 screws and completely remove the rear cross member.
20191220_113745.jpg

20191220_121207.jpg

Reactions: Aescobar17
Wife and I got into th broverlanding thing years ago... before it was cool. We are basically hipsters, but like obscure so you wouldn’t know.

We’ve run everything from ground tent, hammocks, rooftop tent on SUV, Wrangler, recycled 1/4t military trailer, and pickup bed rack with lower tonneau. Each had its advantages and drawbacks.

This is our current rig..

F6E7B4A3-D8CE-40B0-9E81-3C49A8EDE552.jpeg

We were good with the standard CVT/ARB/Easy Awn style even with our first kiddo. Then we had our second and space was gone. Bought the Habitat and couldn’t be happier with enough space to sleep four adults... better with me, wife, 5yo, and 3yo. Have a friend with a hard shell roof top tent which is amazing. He rocks it with his wife and 5yo twins. If rooftop is your goal, go hardshell.

Your question.

Bed rack was nice. I was able to keep my roll up tonneau in place. Amazingly enough the fridge just fit under it. After kiddo 2 was born and I had to reinstall the 1/3 rear seat where the fridge lived. Under the tonneau things were in waterproof hardigg boxes, of weatherproof themselves. Bicycles were attached to the back via modified Siris Bones. Motorbikes... get a trailer. It was a good solution and tre rack/tent came off when not needed, so I didn’t loose my truck. Habitat, not so much. E have a couple friends with ARB awnings and the secondary screen room/tent. Those are damn nice, might grab one when it’s time to evict the kids from the Hab.

Hoped This helped, let me know if you have any other questions. It’s like being a vegan.. I LOVE talking about it!

I hate tents. I’ve been converting this commercial shell into a camper for about a year now. Getting there.

Your images do not show.
I am interested to see your project since I got myself a small Ford E350 box truck last year and am is slowly turning into an RV.

I am playing with the idea of making my own bed rack system. I have access to a shop with everything I would need to do it. It would just be a matter of either finding a set of prints or drafting my own.

It would be pretty sweet to make my own though.

Your images do not show.
I am interested to see your project since I got myself a small Ford E350 box truck last year and am is slowly turning into an RV.

Fixed it. Haven’t done anything to the interior yet. Just trying to get the thing cleaned up. Was pretty beat when I got it.

Last edited:
Roof top tents are the best. It keeps the inside of the truck more open and its easier to keep organized. I built a drawer system in the back as well so I could keep my guns secure and out of sight. Even my 49"(LOA) 300 win mag fits in there (barely).

I did the tent thing forever and it just got to be a pain in the arse having to inflate and deflate the sleeping pad, roll the tent up and pack it away each time, plus deal with ground cloths and rain or snow getting everything wet. With a Roof top tent you are up above it all...the wife loves it because critters cant get in. If the wife loves it then we all know what that means....I get to go camping and 4wheeling more often.

Attachments

• 20200416_171922.jpg
    20200416_171922.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200414_211347.jpg
    20200414_211347.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180829_143204.jpg
    20180829_143204.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180826_073030.jpg
    20180826_073030.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20180826_075243.jpg
    20180826_075243.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 77
I will have to get on the computer tonight to post some pictures but I used to overland in my crew cab S10 with a topper. I had an air mattress in the back and a truck tent to cover the open back side of the truck. I could either put all of my gear on the roof rack, the back seat, or underneath the tail gate depending on how I was setting up the kitchen, weather, and what the location was like.

lol here i thought it was an old Willys-Overland Jeep pic post .
1591381627328.png

Reactions: jbell
Mixed bag for me on the rooftop tent. I probably spent too much time backpacking for weeks at a time with minimal gear so I'm not terribly averse to sleeping on the ground.

Plus - easy to open and enjoy.
Quite comfortable.
High and dry when its raining.

Minus - taking in on and off the vehicle I found to be a pain as I took it off when not being used for any length of time to avoid weathering.
Climbing down to pee with one eye partly open in the middle of the night could be treacherous. (We enjoy a few beers around the campfire with usually means a midnight run)
Made my cruiser to tall to park in the garage with it on.
Need to find a level spot - sometimes harder to level park a vehicle than find a few level square feet for a tent.
The weight up that high was noticeable in some off-road situations.

The weight up that high was noticeable in some off-road situations

This is a dealbreaker for me. I love the idea but it's not compatible with wheeling that I like to do. I'm lusting over an off-road camping trailer, I might build one.

IMG_20180901_164648046_HDR.jpg
DSC01645.jpg

Had a tent and bed rack. Loved it. No real complaints other than I couldnt haul a dirt bike in the bed. I was getting ready to build an offroad trailer to haul the bikes then the future FIL offered us his trailer and tent set up at a price we couldnt resist. We sold the other tent and rack and bought the trailer. It is a military M116 trailer with a homemade box on it. Tongue weight is a little excessive so I'll likely being swapping the lunette ring for something else and trying to relocate the spare to the back.

Honestly I wish I could do both. I miss the size and weight of the old set up. We could pack and be on the road in 20 minutes. If we saw a cool road or trail we could just take off down it and explore. Only down side was we had to break down camp to explore if we wanted to stay in 1 area.

With the trailer we have lost fuel range with both trucks. We can no longer just take off down random roads/trails because turn around spots may be non existent. Its nice because now we can drop the trailer and set up a base camp. It's also nice because now we have more storage for gear on extended trips.

Reactions: atomic41
I went to the moore overland expo in Springfield mo last weekend. It was a really good show

I use Yakima racks on mine, HD overhaul to be specific, and like that they are quick detach from the bases. They are expensive, but if you are military then you can get a discount code from expertvoice to get a deep discount through Yakima. I always help move people (or get mulch, or stone, or use my truck as a truck) so I just pop them off, carry to the shed, use the truck, come home and put back on.

2-DE046-AD-6-EB1-441-A-9-B50-EBA1-DDB360-A9.jpg