• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Painting rifles

Shootinsurveyor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
VA
A gunsmith quoted me a price of 50 bucks to Duracoat my rifle. That sounded really good so I told him to go ahead. My buddy picks up my gun from him and the smith tells him he used 3 coats of spray paint. He said if I didn't like it or it started to come off he would refund my money. How resistant to corrosion and sweat is spray paint? The reason I wanted it to be duracoated as so I don't have to worry about surface rust in the humid VA summers. This smith has told me he doesn't like duracoat before, but I was very specific in my language on the phone saying I wanted it duracoated

Re: Painting rifles

$50.00 to spray paint your rifle?? Just one color on the action and barrel I take it?? Your gunsmith obviously doesn't care what your wants are... You could have done that for $6.00.

Take it back to him, tell him to Duracoat it or refund your money due to the fact that he didn't deliver what was asked of him to do. It don't matter whether HE likes it or not.

DK

yeah 50 bucks for a duracoat job isn't a bad price, but seems a bit much for a rattle can job. I could have done it using duracoat and preval sprayers for around 30. I'm fairly interested to see what his barrel cut and crown looks like also. Hopefully what I see Sunday when I get the gun from a buddies house is a masterpiece.

First off, I would demand my money back. Then I would never ever ever use him again. Whether or not it will work is irrelevant. It's not what you agreed upon. I would be mad as hell.

Wow,
I would tell all of your shooting buddies to steer clear of that Smith.
I would ask for at least half your money back, but don't trust him with your rifle, as it might come back with a mysterious problem.
SScott

I wouldn't give the guy a chance in HELL to jack with anything that I had... PERIOD!!

DK

First, if he is an FFL and you dropped off the rifle he violated federal law if your buddy picked it up. He can only return it to the person who dropped it off, not even a family member can pick it up, legally.

Second, $50 for spray pint is about right. Consider $17 at WalMart for the three color Krylon camo spray paint kit and an hours worth of time,

Third, Spraypaint will provide some level of rust resistance, but is not very durable, has poor hardness and adhesion properties, etc. Durakote is a level up from that, 200-300 hours in salt spray tests...

Fourth, For maximum rust protection Cerakote is best, over 5,000 hours salt spray and 1,000 hrs full imersion, but reputable applicators will charge a lot more than $50.

Fifth, The old adeges were proved right. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, and. You get what you pay for.

spray paint actually holds up pretty well. Several 700's at my department have had nothing but spray paint and have held up to hard use for several years. But regardless, if you requested duracoat that is what you should get for your money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, if he is an FFL and you dropped off the rifle he violated federal law if your buddy picked it up. He can only return it to the person who dropped it off, not even a family member can pick it up, legally.
</div></div>

Technically this is accurate.

BUT, the FFL may choose to transfer the firearm to the other person on a 4473 after performing the requisite NICS check. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with this, but it IS what I was told by an ATF inspector very recently during my initial inspection/interview for my FFL.

He should have also had something to assure him that this other person was authorized to pick up the firearm even though I'm not sure if the law requires it.

But, using a rattle can in place of the promised Duracoat on a customers gun...well that's just a crime.
eek.gif

$50 for "spray paint" WOW.

Yes, it will come off from wear, cleaning solvents etc.

I was going to pick it up in person today because I had suspected this might happen, but my buddy had already picked it up. I had a conversation with the smith when I dropped the gun off about how he thought Duracoat sucked and that he had been spray painting customers guns and that people had been pleased with it so far. I was cautious when he was saying the duracoating wasn't very good or durable, but for 50 bucks on a whim, if he had duracoated it, probably would have been worth it. He is pretty good if a customer isn't happy with what he did. I'm gonna go down there in a week or so and see about getting some money back. Hopefully the cut and crown are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, if he is an FFL and you dropped off the rifle he violated federal law if your buddy picked it up. He can only return it to the person who dropped it off, not even a family member can pick it up, legally.
</div></div>

BUT, the FFL may choose to transfer the firearm to the other person on a 4473 after performing the requisite NICS check. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with this, but it IS what I was told by an ATF inspector very recently during my initial inspection/interview for my FFL.

He should have also had something to assure him that this other person was authorized to pick up the firearm even though I'm not sure if the law requires it.

<span style="font-style: italic">Mark, you are correct on the 4473 and NICS, but that is the only way another person can pick the rifle up. No letter or other authorization will work. This is in the last ATF newsletter.</span>
But, using a rattle can in place of the promised Duracoat on a customers gun...well that's just a crime.
eek.gif
<span style="font-style: italic">I Totally agree with you on this point</span>.</div></div>

-E

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, if he is an FFL and you dropped off the rifle he violated federal law if your buddy picked it up. He can only return it to the person who dropped it off, not even a family member can pick it up, legally.
</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">He should have also had something to assure him that this other person was authorized to pick up the firearm even though I'm not sure if the law requires it.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Mark, you are correct on the 4473 and NICS, but that is the only way another person can pick the rifle up. <span style="font-weight: bold">No letter or other authorization will work. This is in the last ATF newsletter.</span></span>

eek.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">I Totally agree with you on this point</span>.</div></div>
I certainly worded that poorly.
blush.gif

I was trying to say that even if I were to transfer the gun to a person other than the owner on a 4473 I'd want something that made it clear that that was OK with the actual owner.

I would want my money back. Just out of principal. You asked.for duracoat. Rattle can paint isn't so bad really but not what u asked for. I've had to strip some rifles for repaint that were rattle canned and some are impressive as far as how hard it is to remove. The biggest problem with krylon is it is not solvent resistant.

So I got the rifle today and I'm not impressed. Not only did he give a rattlecan job, but a bad one at that. He painted the bolt which is gumming up with stripped paint already. The barrel and action have smudges and smears. I have done better paint jobs myself. If he had asked me and said that people were liking the work he had been doing and he would duracoat the rifle if I didn't like it, I probably would have let him try. As of now I doubt I will be taking any more work to him. He knows I asked for Duracoat, but who knows. I would have payed more for Duracoat as you get what you pay for except in this case I would have expected for 50 bucks a pretty nice paint job. What would be the best way to strip all the paint off?

I'd be curious to hear what the rest of his work looks like if his paint looks that bad, hope it's not too bad.

The barrel cut and crown were not bad. The crown wasn't one I had seen before. It is the flat face of the cut barrel with a minor minor cone recessing back to the crown just a bit larger than the 243 barrel opening. I shot the gun today after getting it to see how it would be and it didn't shoot any different than it used to. The muzzle has a nice even blast pattern around it which I've been told means the crown is fairly good. I am just shocked that the guy let a poorly painted rifle get out his door like that especially when he knew I wanted something different. I'm gonna go get my money back next weekend so that will be the end of it.

brake parts cleaner from your local auto parts store should bring the paint off. If your guy says that duracoat is no good, then he must not know how to prep it before spraying. I use duracoat all the time with zero issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is the flat face of the cut barrel with a minor minor cone recessing back to the crown just a bit larger than the 243 barrel opening.</div></div>

Something like this? Well... OK, without the lint?
6161191523_df428eac40_z.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, if he is an FFL and you dropped off the rifle he violated federal law if your buddy picked it up. He can only return it to the person who dropped it off, not even a family member can pick it up, legally.
</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">He should have also had something to assure him that this other person was authorized to pick up the firearm even though I'm not sure if the law requires it.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Mark, you are correct on the 4473 and NICS, but that is the only way another person can pick the rifle up. <span style="font-weight: bold">No letter or other authorization will work. This is in the last ATF newsletter.</span></span>

eek.gif

I certainly worded that poorly.
blush.gif

I was trying to say that even if I were to transfer the gun to a person other than the owner on a 4473 I'd want something that made it clear that that was OK with the actual owner.
</div></div>

Roger that

I think the moral of the story here is that turning the gun over to a friend of the person who dropped it off is just one more indicator of un-professional conduct by this so called gunsmith. Good operators know and obey the laws, give thier customers what they ask for and deliver quality work and true value to thier customers.

This guy failed on all counts.

$50 for a Spray Job?... Just the fact that you told him otherwise makes him sound like a jackass. After you get your money back I would never use him again. And I would probably kick him in the balls for being incompetent and spraying over your BCG..

Whats the average price for a good paint job, say to include prep etc, either duracoat, KG gun coat or cerakote. Shootinsurveyor, well it sounds like he didn't f up the rifle anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ash24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can Duracoat it yourself for around $80. This includes paint, template, and DVD. </div></div>
Gotta have the right equipment and know how, so the price goes up.

I agree with X ring. those done yourself jobs without the right prep is how Duracoat gets a bad reputation. I personally like the stuff. But I can't do a job for 80.00 with all the prep time involved.

I have ceramacoated a few pistols and its just all in the prep. I had been planning to duracoat it myself, but for 50 bucks, whats the harm right. Well no harm, but a crappy paint job. The crown doesn't have the outer circle like in the picture, instead where the crown normally is tapers back a 1/16th or so into the actual crown. He claims it is impossible to damage the crown under normal use with his setup. Maybe so, and the gun shot the same so whatever

I went down to the smith today to get my money back. He was getting the money out as soon as I walked in the door. He was telling me about how he couldn't get Duracoat to stick to stainless steel at all. I have never tried so I have no idea. He said cerakote would be the best for my situation, but he didn't have a oven to work with. Guy was very understanding and open. I told him I didn't care for the paint job especially since it wasn't Duracoat, but the I thought the barrel work he did was good. Probably will still use him for metal work if a emergency crops up. His attitude in the situation helped alot. He probably just needs more experience painting guns and he is in a area that is more about a nicely blued hunting rifle than a properly painted "tactical rifle"