• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Painting with Duracoat on a blued rifle

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
I have a New Tikka T3 Varmint with a blued barrel=shiny! I would like to paint the receiver and barrel with Duracoat. Per their instructions they recommend you scuff/sand parts prior to painting for proper adhesion. Considering it's a brand new rifle I'm not too crazy about this step. I may decide I don't like the color and want to strip it down. Or even for resale value I would rather not sand my barrel etc. How bad will this paint job come out if I skip the sanding, but follow all the other steps? I have a feeling the paint directly applied to the blued barrel might not look so good....

Re: Painting with Duracoat on a blued rifle

Yep not gonna work well at all. I would recomend at least stuffing it with a scotch brite type pad or something. I prefer to strip the blue and go from there, but I understand your concerns on a new gun. I'd say that you either do it right or don't do it. No sense in not doing it right and then ruining your gun at the same time!

If you think lightly sanding is bad, then you damn sure wouldn't make it through grit blasting. That's what i do with all the guns before I Duracoat them.

Just like they said above, if you paint over the blueing w/o prepping it, It'll peel right up.

Also if your looking to change the color later, for whatever reason, you might want to krylon it instead. Reason being, duracoat is a pain in the ass to strip off, were as krylon comes off with easier results.

If you want it painted right the first time and are worried about resale down the road, have <span style="font-weight: bold">Dimensions</span> paint it for you....you'll never have to worry about hurting it's resale value if it's wearing some unbelievable artwork or one-off camo that can withstand a beatdown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want it painted right the first time and are worried about resale down the road, have <span style="font-weight: bold">Dimensions</span> paint it for you....you'll never have to worry about hurting it's resale value if it's wearing some unbelievable artwork or one-off camo that can withstand a beatdown. </div></div>

That is some amazing artwork, holy sh**! I think I'll either just shoot it with krylon or not do anything to it at all.

Some things to consider are without proper surface preparation anything you apply will probably peel off. When preparing the surface the best option is to always blast the surface with a media like aluminum oxide. You are removing bluing or previous coating and etching the surface of the metal or whatever you're going to coat. When the surface is properly prepared it will be frosty looking, i.e., no shine. Think about doing it right the first time. IMO I wouldn't put Krylon on my neighbors cat but that's just me. Good luck with your project.

paint durability has alot to do with surface prep. the surface needs to have "teeth" for the paiint to stick to. a blued surface is usually pretty smooth. I have always blasted metal for best results.

For me personally and probably for alot of the folks around here, duracoat doesn't hurt the value of gun too much. Especially if it's done right and looks good. Heck, for some it could be bonus.

When I went to Dura Coat's university back in February I asked this same very specific question, and this is the answer I was given- Red scotch brite.
Disassemble, clean surface, red scotch-brite, clean and degrease again to get dust from scotch brite pad off, apply dura-coat. After curing parts in oven, let them sit for 7 days to cure.
I believe the surface prep is vital to any spray on finish, I'm ceritifed in both Dura and Cera, and with Dura Coat even after baking letting it properly cure has been paramount to my success with it so far.
On display in their shop and even in their catalog, are Marlin bolt rifles that were blue and not sandblasted etc. So for the home hobbyist it is conceivable without the blasting etc.

they make a chemical called chem kote that etches the metal i use a lot when painting metal parts, wash it down with a scotchbrite pad and chemkote and blow it off and let it dry then you can go straight to the basecoat or duracoat.

Be careful about sanding a dirty rifle. Clean it thoroughly before scotch brighting or you will push the solvents into the metal and have one hell of a time getting them out. Duracoat is a great product but take your time prepping or wish you had. I painfully speak from experience.