• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft paints and synthetics mix?

ArmedByRuger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Shingletown, CA.
Hi,

I have a ruger 77/22 done up in a mono color camo with green barrel and action and black scope and stock. I am considering painting it in a digital pattern ,however I have some concerns. I know the paint with the nice metal primer I used will wear like iron on the metal parts, but the synthetic stock is another story. The ruger synthetic stock is like teflon masking tape can't even stick to it. Do any of you have any idea whether merely sanding the finish with steel wool for instance will remedy the problem. I am between a rock and hard place on this one because if the paint doesn't stick it is going to look like the dickens.

Re: paints and synthetics mix?

Since no one had any answers for me I just went for it and it and so far I am very happy. I scrubbed it down with high grain sandpaper and industrial scotch-bright and wiped it off with rubbing alcohol repeatedly. I applied the paint in thin light coats and so far the paint is sticking and wearing like epoxy. It's almost as if it is making a chemical bond to the polymer. I will post pictures when I finish the project