• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pelican Cases vs Pelican Storm Cases

SpEcTeR

Private
Minuteman
I'm shopping for a new gun case to cram my AR & 12GA 870P into.

I really like the Pelican 1720 and the Pelican Storm iM3200. I have done google and SH searches but have found very little steering me in either direction. The few things I have found have really been steering me to the Pelican Storm iM3200 for the following reasons:

<span style="font-weight: bold">1)</span> iM3200 has four locking points as opposed to two on the 1720
<span style="font-weight: bold">2)</span> iM3200 has 6 latches as opposed to 4 on the 1720
<span style="font-weight: bold">3)</span> iM3200 has a slightly higher weight buoyancy rating<span style="font-weight: bold">
4)</span> iM3200 has approx 0.75" added depth which is a plus

In the end this just needs to be bomb-proof or airline crew proof. I'm NOT trying to save weight as I'm placing two long guns in it. I don't want to buy two, therefore I want to make the right choice. Is there something better for guns than these two?

I'm open to advice and suggestions.

Re: Pelican Cases vs Pelican Storm Cases

I have both Pelican, and the Pelican Storm cases. They pretty similar as you know, but I like the latches on the Storm cases a little better. Personally I would pick up the Storm. It feels just as bomb proof as a regular Pelican.

I agree .. I have both as well. The Storm has more latches then the pelican and the latches on the Storm case has push buttons so the latches undo much easier then the pelican. The pelican latches you have to snap off. As to the inside they are pretty much the same.

Given the choice I would go with Storm.

How about removing the barrel from the 870, breaking the upper/lower down, and putting them in the 1700 where you don't have to pay oversize luggage fees?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about removing the barrel from the 870, breaking the upper/lower down, and putting them in the 1700 where you don't have to pay oversize luggage fees? </div></div>
All the airlines I've traveled on don't charge oversize baggage fees for sporting equipment. (Golf clubs, gun cases, skiis, fishing rod tubes, etc,) They will however charge for overweight baggage so weight is an issue for me. Keep it under 50lbs and you're good to go. I have both the storm and regular pelican cases and wouldn't worry about the handlers breaking one. I do prefer the latches on the storm case.

The Pelican cases have thicker plastic sides, but the Storm cases have the better latches. Pelican, which now owns Storm, describes Storm as a second tier product, but I think it's because Storm was its main competition before Pelican bought the company.

The only problem I've had with either case is that the airline nearly tore off the two locks I had on my Storm case and really stressed the plastic around the holes for the locks. Pelican cases have some metal to strengthen these holes, but I don't know whether it would have made any difference.

The only other case I've used is a Starlight, but have never seen a Starlight case smaller than their double rifle case.

If you want to save weight, obviously you should buy a case that is just large enough for your rifle and avoid accessories like wheels that you don't really need.

What about the SKB case? Not trying to take this off track with Pelican vs. Storm or hyjack, just curious.

For flying I use a Kalispel case. I use both Storm and Pelican for driving to hunting spots. But I only trust my Kalispel with the airlines.

I have a (pre-buyout) Storm case for my AR-15s and a Pelican for my bolt gun.

I like the sizes of the Pelican cases better but like the latches and wheels of the Storm better.

I have both Storm and Pelican cases in similar sizes. I tend to go to the Storm as more of a go-to case than the pelican. if nothing else, for the latches.

I have both and like a couple features of the Storm case better except for ONE THING. I know this might be a little much but the composite/plastic construction is different. The Pelican has more of a grain thing going on that doesn't leave marks if something scrapes/rubs against it. Anything that touches the Storm case will leave a mark...I don't really like that. I agree the more latches and style of latches are better on the Storm but I really don't see any advantage of 4 locking points over 2...If you have it locked at both points....I don't think anyone is getting in.

I also have both, and really like the Storm better. Better latches, better wheels, better case.

Thank for you for the input fellas.

I will say that after further research and your comments I am almost ready to buy. I did find these pros in favor of the Pelican:

<span style="font-weight: bold">1)</span> Stainless steel plates over the two locking points
<span style="font-weight: bold">2)</span> Thicker side walls on the Pelican fall in line with my bomb-proofing requirement.

I have found pros and cons to both. I may end up joining the "I own one of each" club, despite my desire to just own one.