• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Peq-2 Legal or not?

303_enfield

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2009
USA
Ok, I've been "told" (AR15) Peq-2's are nogo for civilians. Well, I'm in a fun shop today in DE and what do I see? Not one, not two but seven used USGI Peq-2's. I ask what the price is and was told $500. They are the older black bodies, just like I was issued. I asked where they came from and was told a PD traded them in. Another local said they have been in the corner for years.

So, my question is will CID track me down if I buy one and use it for night hunts?

Yes, I know just buy it. Not worth losing $500 on a toy, hogs don't shoot back.

Re: Peq-2 Legal or not?

They're legal to own.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get documentation of their origin.

A lot of dealers won't sell to non-gov/law/mil, but that's their choice and not the law per se. They are an ITAR controlled item though, so no selling overseas or otherwise exporting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IR is a controlled item..... </div></div>

?

I could be wrong - but I don't think beyond ITAR it means anything to a US citizen.

Good luck

So, I am going to need a phone number or website to go to.

OR.....

Some one to confirm this stuff is not allowed.

These questions should be directed to Victor_TNVC. Active poster on here and the resident subject matter expert on the legalities of night vision, lasers and items of the sort.

He can usually be found in the Night Vision sub forum here.

They are legal for a civi to possess, however they are not available for a civi to purchase due to the fact that they are a class of laser that is controlled by the FDA. This is why you need to know the origin of the device. LE for example can purchase them with letterhead. As long as that unit was individually purchased it 'could' be resold. Also be aware that due to the restrictions on this class of laser, if your a civi, and it breaks - you likely have an expensive paper weight, b/c the manufacturer isn't going to fix it for a non approved user.

Good luck

I am still learning to nav this place. Didn't find the NV forum. Feel like a dunce.