• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Plastic parts in a Kimber

medic1097

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
Florida, USA
I was surprised to find a plastic mainspring housing my my Kimber 1911. I know MIM parts are the main difference between Kimber and Wilson, Nighthawk etc..

But a plastic mainspring housing that was color molded to look like brushed stainless steel is too much....

Check em before you buy em!!!

Re: Plastic parts in a Kimber

I think Colt has plastic mainspring housings too.

For as much as even an inexpensive gun costs, you would think they wouldn't use plastic, but everyone cuts corners.

I just bought a $55,000 Truck and the truck I bought 12 years agowas better built in many ways, they are always cutting corners while raising prices.

My Springfield 1911 doesn't have plastic anywhere on it. Makes me all the more glad that I chose Springfield over Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic1097</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised to find a plastic mainspring housing my my Kimber 1911. I know MIM parts are the main difference between Kimber and Wilson, Nighthawk etc..

But a plastic mainspring housing that was color molded to look like brushed stainless steel is too much....

Check em before you buy em!!! </div></div>

Fit and finsh, Kimber is a massed produced produced product, Wilsons are not. To put a Wilson/NH/LB in the same boat with kimber, is to put a GAP/UGSW ect into the same boat as a Remington.

All of my 1911s have plastic mainspring housing. Would I prefer metal? Sure. But considering there are entire gun frames made out of plastic, I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch about it.

I've got a Kimber Stainless II, and it has the plastic mainspring housing as well. You can buy the Wilson stainless part from Brownells for $48.95 with the same checkering. That tells me Kimber could build it this way for about 12 bucks extra.

Why a manufacturer would allow a $12 part to drag down the perceived quality of an $800+ gun is beyond me. Guess things in this industry are more competitive than it would first appear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic1097</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know MIM parts are the main difference between Kimber and Wilson, Nighthawk etc.. </div></div>

I wish I would have done more research before buying my Wilsons. I must get to town more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Springfield 1911 doesn't have plastic anywhere on it. Makes me all the more glad that I chose Springfield over Kimber. </div></div>

A Kimber even with a few plastic parts is a lot better than a springfield 45.

Not a fan of plastic, but my $55,000 truck has plastic in it, so do Ferari's and Porsche's.

I'd argue that, and I own and regularly shoot, carry, or compete with both.

I know how you feel. After what seemed to be an eternity to get my Grand Raptor, I noticed the plastic on my as well! I was pissed to say the least. The damn thing took almost a year to get to me, that should've been my first clue. I will never again buy from Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Springfield 1911 doesn't have plastic anywhere on it. Makes me all the more glad that I chose Springfield over Kimber. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">A Kimber even with a few plastic parts is a lot better than a springfield 45.</span>

Not a fan of plastic, but my $55,000 truck has plastic in it, so do Ferari's and Porsche's.</div></div>

Keep telling yourself that.

The fit and finish of my 1911 is every bit as good as any Kimber I've handled. I did my homework before purchasing and the general consensus was to go with Springfield over Kimber from everything I read such as features, warranty (1yr Kimber vs lifetime Springfield), and customer service that is second to none in the industry (should you need it).

That being said, I'm not knocking Kimber. They make a very nice 1911 and I had my heart set on a TLE/RL II before I decided to go with the Springfield.

Additionally, my life doesn't necessarily depend on the internals of my vehicle whereas it certainly does depend on the internals of my sidearm. I'd rather it take the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

The series I classics were fine guns. The new Kimber doesn't come close to Springfield in quality or customer service. For the most part, Kimber is just a name from the past of what once was a quality 1911 back in the mid to late 90's. A name that gets lots of uninitiated 1911 buyers based on that far gone reputation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgbill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

The series I classics were fine guns. The new Kimber doesn't come close to Springfield in quality or customer service. For the most part, Kimber is just a name from the past of what once was a quality 1911 back in the mid to late 90's. A name that gets lots of uninitiated 1911 buyers based on that far gone reputation. </div></div>

Thank you. Those were my findings as well.