• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred penetrating lubricant?

So, is the nut off yet?

I have a bad story of using Locktite Red instead of anti seize on an AR barrel nut one time; built while 1/2 asleep after work one time. Long and relatively expensive fix, but a lesson I’ll never have to learn again!

Red locktite is easy to remove, with the same process thats that makes it easy to remove stuck nut and bolts.....

iu

Reactions: 308pirate
This same shitshow can happen with a shouldered barrel.

Threads are threads
Sure, threads are threads, but trying to tear off a barrel nut with 125ft/lb+ of torque, without destroying it, is a lot more challenging (at least on the puny little barrel nuts I've seen in the past). Maybe they're making the nuts a lot more beefy now - I haven't seen one (personally) in a looooong time, thankfully. I guess the upside is they're a lot easier to just cut off...

I also gave a suggestion that should avoid this kind of issue in the future. I've never had a barrel weld when properly addressed with anti seize on installation (to include mating surfaces, which often get forgotten). Hopefully there's not a first time for everything.

Sure, threads are threads, but trying to tear off a barrel nut with 125ft/lb+ of torque, without destroying it, is a lot more challenging (at least on the puny little barrel nuts I've seen in the past). Maybe they're making the nuts a lot more beefy now - I haven't seen one (personally) in a looooong time, thankfully. I guess the upside is they're a lot easier to just cut off...

Fair point. The slots on many of them aren't super deep. In fact, barrel nuts seem to be a perfect application for gas or salt bath nitriding to give them a nice, hard, strong case and retaining the underlying ductility.

Then again, if you tighten a shouldered barrel to 80 lb-ft and it stays put, there's no reason to jam a nut (that does the same thing) on with 50% more torque.

Reactions: ormandj
Fair point. The slots on many of them aren't super deep. In fact, barrel nuts seem to be a perfect application for gas or salt bath nitriding to give them a nice, hard, strong case and retaining the underlying ductility.
That sounds like a great idea. Also, we should move to something other than flats on nuts like these. There's got to be some high-torque e-torx like option. Finally, hahaha, I feel badly for someone who encounters a nitrided nut that somehow welds. Talk about a surprise when you start trying to cut it off! :trollface:

I feel badly for someone who encounters a nitrided nut that somehow welds. Talk about a surprise when you start trying to cut it off! :trollface:

Carbide inserts cut through it like shit through a goose.

HSS inserts will not

So far PB Blaster has served me well. I don't doubt there are better brands out there but its cheap and has done its job for me.

So as usual I got here late....
I make a penetrating oil known as Ed's red. The basic formula is pretty simple. Equal parts transmission fluid, Mineral Spirits and 10 wt compressor oil. I add a bit of Toluene to mine and some orange oil. I think the formula has been around for a long time. I think it was Popular Mechanics did a test of all the popular penetrating oils and Ed's red beat all of them.
I use it for cleaning all my guns and use it in my ultrasonic cleaner