• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

primers for each caliber

M198gunner

LtCol
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
CONUS Southeast
I am just getting into reloading and looking for primer info.

Is there data out there that shows what primer type is required for each caliber? Example: what primer is required for 308, 223, 40sw, 9mm, 380 ect...

Also, what are fair prices for primers? How long is the shelf life for primers if kept dry?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Re: primers for each caliber

You need to buy a reloading manual. All the info you need (including primer) is on those pages...

There are small rifle (223), small pistol (40s&w, 9mm, 380) , large rifle (308) and large pistol, magnum, etc. Most loading manuals will tell you what you need, I have used small and large rifle primers in pistol cases as well, but you will reduce the charge slightly when doing so, probably wouldnt go that route until you get more reloading knowledge.

Kirk R

If you only buy ONE reloading manual, I suggest you make it the latest edition of the Lyman-49th edition if I'm not mistaken. The general reloading section (not the specs) is a must-read and will teach you a LOT.

I buy primers in bulk online and anything less than 35 bucks a thousand is a fair price in todays climate. Most go for less than 30 bucks a thousand. If you buy online and not locally, you will need to buy in bulk to justify the ridiculous 27.50 hazmat fees charged by UPS. Maybe get with some buddies and do a group buy on primers/powder. I'm still using some primers bought back in the 70's and have heard of much older stuff used with good results.

Thanks everyone for the info, will go online today for a reloading manual.

I am currently overseas and trying to stock up on the round components so when I get home I am set.

The cited chart says Federals have soft cups; that's not true. Fed's primer cups are just as thick and just as hard as others of similar type. And why not, they all have to hold back the same pressures!

Fed has a more sensitive, therefore more reliable, priming compound that goes off with light pin stikes and that makes some people assume the cups are soft.

Fuzzball...I have to agree about the Fed's sensitivity for what ever reason. Loading for small pistols with limited spring power, I've frequently had misfires with CCI's, but never with the Federals. SD loads for my small S&W's are loaded with the Feds. And while those are for .38 specials, the same primers hold up to .357 magnum pressures without problems.

It is stated that large rifle primers have the same cup thickness of .027, but for whatever reason, perhaps anecdotal, I have always been under the impression that Federal primers were a bit softer than CCI primers. My thinking was that Federal primers were better indicators of high pressure for this reason.
Any ideas on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChaosKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is stated that large rifle primers have the same cup thickness of .027, but for whatever reason, perhaps anecdotal, I have always been under the impression that Federal primers were a bit softer than CCI primers. My thinking was that Federal primers were better indicators of high pressure for this reason.
Any ideas on this? </div></div>

I've never attempted to measure the hardness, but I have noticed deeper firing pin impressions in Fed primers than other brands...same firearm.