• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Progressive Press Work Flow

Rlandry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
Just curious how you guys load bottleneck cases on a progressing. Mainly curious as to what happens as far as case lubing and sizing. Do you spray the cases and dump them in the hopper or manually place them individually in the shell plate. I started to load .223 on a 650 at one time but decided against it and went with single stage presses. I was just concerned how the loose tolerances on the Dillon would affect accuracy. Yes, I know David Tubb loaded his match ammo on a Dillon 550.

I load all my precision ammo on my Dillon 550. I use it for case prep and priming and seat Bullets on my rock chucker.

The prep consists of dry media tumbling, then spraying down the cases with Hornady one-shot. I place them manually on the shell plate. Station one is universal deprimer, station 2 empty, station 3 bump the shoulders and size the neck .003-.004 under, and station 4 open with a mandrel to set neck tension.
cases are then tumbled, trimmed, primed on the Dillon and powdered in a reloading block and bullet sat in a rock crusher.
When I lube cases I set them on a towel and spray once getting some in the neck roll them all 180 degrees and respiratory.
One word of caution I make sure to only lube about 25 at a time as the lubricity seems to change over extended times resulting in inconsistent shoulder bump. Also with the one shot I pre spray the sizing die and the mandrel.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I also use a 550, but I use two toolheads mostly.
Sizing toolhead has decapper, sizing die (no decapping rod), mandrel die, empty.
After sizing, you can tumbler/clean off lube, trim/chamfer/debur, and prime.
Loading toolhead has empty (or decapper), powder die, seating die, empty (or crimp).

I bulk reload 223 on my 650 using a two head setup. First head has a universal decapper, rt1500, then lyman m-die. I lube with dillon lube (lanolin and alcohol). Dry tumble before and after, then loading head goes straight to powder die, then check die, seater, crimper. I set the crimp to just knock the sharp corner off (error on the heavy side of this, a very light crimp isn't going to hurt). Fastest 223 reloading I have ever done, and ammo is still better than factory.