• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Prone Questions.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Some of you may know that recently I got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD to get me started in the world of precision shooting.

Well on Saturday I was finally able to go out and shoot. Unfortunately I only shot 10 rounds before the fog rolled in and made it impossible to see the target. But while I was there, I realized how unaccustomed to prone shooting I am.

So I need some tips for prone shooting. I don't have a bipod yet so I'm just using a makeshift rest, and I think that might have been the cause of some of my problems.

I wasn't able to shoulder the rifle well enough to really feel comfortable. I know that people use "rear bags" and I think I see why now.

So, what are your tips for prone shooting?

Thanks,
Coby

Re: Prone Questions.

If you don't have a cheek rest on that rifle, you will need one.

It can be as simple as foam and riggers tape (sleeping mats work well), or something like an Eagle Stock Pack.

Then you need a rest. A backpack stuffed with soft but firm contents works well. I can't tell you exactly what to put it in because whenever I have used a ruck it's been packed for the field. I have also used a "asspack" with a poncho and other crap stuffed in.

Prone will not be comfortable when you start out. You will need to practice at home "snapping in" and dry firing to get used to it. Your neck and back muscles will get used to the position and you will be much more comfortable after several sessions.

The video above is a good source.

As lone worlf said cheek rest is a must. 700 stocks have horable cheek welds..

Back to the OP's question.

Get a old back pack and put a sweater inside it to give it something to hold the rifle up but give some give to hold it.

Set your rifle on top of the back pack right in front of you.

Lay directly behind the rifle.. Spead your legs as far appart as comfertable for wider support. Make sure your in a line with the rifle. (I dont know why people shoot off the the side of the rifle. Just gives you a bigger profile to the enemy/deer and doesnt comp for the recoil IMO)

Keep your ancles on the floor this may be uncomfertable for a while but make sure your ancles and whole side of your shoes are on the floor. More body support.

I do both but dont really feel a difference but some people put one leg bent to leave your shest off of the floor so you dont have all your weight on your chest while breathing.

I feel it puts me off the one side more and dont really like it.

Other than that work on trigger pull..breathing and sending one down range. No 2 people are the same. Find what works for you and do work.

This is one of the basic things you have to consider when designing a rifle stock. Stocks designed for offhand/standing type shooting usually need a drop-at-heel of about 1" to 1 1/2"( center of bore to top of recoil pad) to put the recoil pad properly in the shoulder pockek and get a good cheek weld. However, stocks for prone shooting need a higher butt (about 1/2" or so drop-at-heel) to keep the pad centered on the top of your shoulder and usually a slightly shorter Length-of-Pull.
You can shoot a sporting stock prone, but it is not a very comfortable fit and hard to get the butt low enough for a good cheek weld. Our tactical stocks like the "A" series are designed for prone shooting and are not very good offhand/standing stocks because when you get them high enough for a good natural feeling cheekweld then you only have about the bottom 1/2 of the recoil pad in contact with your shoulder. This is why there are so many different stock designs, many are designed to adapt a rifle better for a specific purpose and are not good all around do everything stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rkt1HRWdo</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.snipershide.com/2010/03/tactical-training-1-%E2%80%93-test-1/ </div></div>

Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have a cheek rest on that rifle, you will need one.

It can be as simple as foam and riggers tape (sleeping mats work well), or something like an Eagle Stock Pack.

Then you need a rest. A backpack stuffed with soft but firm contents works well. I can't tell you exactly what to put it in because whenever I have used a ruck it's been packed for the field. I have also used a "asspack" with a poncho and other crap stuffed in.

Prone will not be comfortable when you start out. You will need to practice at home "snapping in" and dry firing to get used to it. Your neck and back muscles will get used to the position and you will be much more comfortable after several sessions.

The video above is a good source.</div></div>

Okay, thanks. My Eagle Stock Pack arrived today. I need to work on another makeshift rest, but I'm not sure how tall it should be. I'll also make a rear bag out of a wool sock and some beads.

Yeah, it seems like prone will take some getting used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As lone worlf said cheek rest is a must. 700 stocks have horable cheek welds..

Back to the OP's question.

Get a old back pack and put a sweater inside it to give it something to hold the rifle up but give some give to hold it.

Set your rifle on top of the back pack right in front of you.

Lay directly behind the rifle.. Spead your legs as far appart as comfertable for wider support. Make sure your in a line with the rifle. (I dont know why people shoot off the the side of the rifle. Just gives you a bigger profile to the enemy/deer and doesnt comp for the recoil IMO)

Keep your ancles on the floor this may be uncomfertable for a while but make sure your ancles and whole side of your shoes are on the floor. More body support.

I do both but dont really feel a difference but some people put one leg bent to leave your shest off of the floor so you dont have all your weight on your chest while breathing.

I feel it puts me off the one side more and dont really like it.

Other than that work on trigger pull..breathing and sending one down range. No 2 people are the same. Find what works for you and do work.</div></div>

Awesome, thanks. That will help a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is one of the basic things you have to consider when designing a rifle stock. Stocks designed for offhand/standing type shooting usually need a drop-at-heel of about 1" to 1 1/2"( center of bore to top of recoil pad) to put the recoil pad properly in the shoulder pockek and get a good cheek weld. However, stocks for prone shooting need a higher butt (about 1/2" or so drop-at-heel) to keep the pad centered on the top of your shoulder and usually a slightly shorter Length-of-Pull.
You can shoot a sporting stock prone, but it is not a very comfortable fit and hard to get the butt low enough for a good cheek weld. Our tactical stocks like the "A" series are designed for prone shooting and are not very good offhand/standing stocks because when you get them high enough for a good natural feeling cheekweld then you only have about the bottom 1/2 of the recoil pad in contact with your shoulder. This is why there are so many different stock designs, many are designed to adapt a rifle better for a specific purpose and are not good all around do everything stocks.</div></div>

Thanks, I do plan on getting a McM stock some time next spring, probably the A5.