• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Proper Reamer Spec for F-TR

l115a3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Hi,

I had asked Dave Kiff @ PTG to recommend their reamer for shooting in F-TR. He reply back with 2 main choices between turn neck size and unturn neck size.

For a single shot 308 FTR we recommend a .336 turn nk with .168 fb.

But for our best 308 Win Match, no turn we recommend a .343 nk with .088 fb with 1°-30 . this is also for a rifle that uses a mag box.

I would prefer unturn neck size chamber due to sometime that I don't have a time for handloading, then I can use factory match ammunition with this chamber.

Could you please suggest which fb that I should choose.

The following fb is with a .343 nk

• 155 SMK , Palma or Fullbore .045 fb, 1°-30

• 168 SMK or Hybrid .075 fb, 1°-30

• 175 SMK or LRBT .088 fb, 1°-30

• 185 LRBT or Hybrid .093 fb, 1°-30

• 190 SMK .123 fb fb, 1°-30

Re: Proper Reamer Spec for F-TR

What am I missing here....?

There is no correlation between neck diameter and freebore.

For a given bullet, you'll need a given freebore, regardless of neckturning.

I don't see how you can go wrong with either a Bisley or '95 Palma reamer.

It's because I like a .342 thru .343 neck's on my Match reamers. They just seem to shoot just about all the brass with out a hassle. Thanks Dave Kiff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had asked Dave Kiff @ PTG to recommend their reamer for shooting in F-TR. He reply back...

• 155 SMK , Palma or Fullbore .045 fb, 1°-30
• 168 SMK or Hybrid .075 fb, 1°-30
• 175 SMK or LRBT .088 fb, 1°-30
• 185 LRBT or Hybrid .093 fb, 1°-30
• 190 SMK .123 fb fb, 1°-30</div></div>

Dave-

Were these the freebore lengths required for all of the different bullets to be seated to the same overall length?
If so, is the length 2.800" or something different?

What bullet do you want to use? And when you can't load, what bullet will you get in loaded ammo?

I'm a fan of the 175SMK. It can easily be handloaded or just buy it in Federal's Gold Medal, which, in my opinion, is the next best thing to handloads.

My handload was Lapua Brass with .30 Berger 175 LRBT or 185 LRBT.

The factory ammo were FG308M2 or M118LR.

Dave,

What FB & spec of my LB Tactical Recon .308 win Chamber? I had sent an e-mail to ask them and they said their reamer was design by Dave Kiff.

Do this chamber is suitable for shooting F-TR (800 yards) with .30 Berger 175 LRBT to 185 LRBT?

Could you please sent the drawing to my e-mail?

I actually do not mind with OAL because I gonna change to Mcmillan Tooley MBR which available only single shot.

Regards,
Golf
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's because I like a .342 thru .343 neck's on my Match reamers. They just seem to shoot just about all the brass with out a hassle. Thanks Dave Kiff </div></div>

Dave,

How to put an order for reamer?

I prefer 1 reamer for shooting F-TR 800 yards. No neck turned with proper fb for Berger 175 LRBT to 185 LRBT. Do not mind for magazine load. (Single Shot)

The length's are for the touch point for each bullet in a single shot or any extended or stock box that permits (perfect world). For a AICS,Remington or any short set up the Bisley .088 or any thing shorter works great. It all depends on your application. I have a perfect length for each bullet but if you only have a certain length then you must push the heavies back to resemble the same OAL and that's not what I like to do so I have some trick's. If you would like to get a custom chamber that give's it all it can for your set up give me a call, I have some info for you . Well back to the grinder. Thanks Dave@ 541-826-5808

Golfy , It's best to call me at 541-826-5808 or email me at [email protected] Thank's Dave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Golfy , It's best to call me at 541-826-5808 or email me at [email protected] Thank's Dave. </div></div>

Thanks, will e-mail you for info and put an order.