• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Proper way to measure barrel length?

Goin'Hot

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
Central, Ohio
This article has been around the block a couple times... Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

In it, they make the statment that 21 3/4" is the magic barrel length but, they don't say where the measurment starts. I know for NFA stuff, you close the bolt, drop a cleaning rod down the barrel, mark & measure. After reading the article, I feel they are taking the measurment at the start of the lands because "Anyone who strictly observes the 21 3/4" doctrine will screw off a failing barrel of that length and run a new one under it. Rechambering and rethreading, in order to achieve more pristine lands just forward of the throat, shortens the barrel. Shorten the barrel, spoil the magic length.".

So, the question. Is barrel length measured from the bolt face or the start of the lands?

After having rifles that hammer itty bitty holes close and far with many different barrel lengths I don't know that I subscribe to the length specifics. It all boils down to timing and oscillation in my opinion. It's more about the magic load then a magic length.

I've always heard barrel girth was more important than barrel length. That's what I tell my rifle anyways.

The proper way to measure is from one end of the barrell to the other end.......... sorry couldn't resist.

As far as barrell length goes its not the length that counts its knowing how to use it ................... at least thats what she keeps telling me ... :'(