• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes PST in hand!

AZK9

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
Arizona
I know there are going to be alot of these threads, but after 10 months of waiting, I had to get it out of my system.
smile.gif

I started out with a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 and it served me well. It was a great starter scope to help me get into long range/tactical shooting.

I never really noticed any faults with the Falcon, till I got my hands on my PST. Holy smokes...what a difference in clarity there is between the two of them. Note to self... remember to never look through a really expensive scope, can't afford too.

I can't wait to take it out to the range and really test it out.

Oh yeah, I totally dislike you guys. Since I've found this board, I've done nothing but spent money...lusting over a Manners MCS-T5A with mini chassis, now...

189234_1634838031357_1248892139_31514001_889660_n.jpg

189234_1634838071358_1248892139_31514002_1121792_n.jpg

189234_1634838151360_1248892139_31514004_3186735_n.jpg

Re: PST in hand!

Right now, as it stands, I truly believe that the PST is the best scope you can get for the price. Still have yet to shoot mine though.

The PST is without a doubt the best bang for the buck going!! I had my order in, and then had to cancel due to bills killing me. I ordered a different cheaper scope to fill in until I can make the PST happen.

Congrats on the snag!! She's a beauty!!

DK

I compared a falcon manace 4-14 to the PST 4-16 and to my eye while resolving on small branches at about 250 yards and on 12 power, the Falcon did better than the PST. I am a fan of the PST but I am just being honest. I was a little disappointed. Hopefully it was only with one scope?
I got a Nitrex scope for a lot less than either one of these that really outshines them both optically. Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I compared a falcon manace 4-14 to the PST 4-16 and to my eye while resolving on small branches at about 250 yards and on 12 power, the Falcon did better than the PST. I am a fan of the PST but I am just being honest. I was a little disappointed. Hopefully it was only with one scope?
I got a Nitrex scope for a lot less than either one of these that really outshines them both optically. Go figure. </div></div>

I find that hard to believe. I'm shooting a 4-14 falcon and have put over 500 rounds through my rifle with it and the glass quality is terrible. It goes blurry at random times although it has been functional. Hopefully it was just one bad pst...

Mike

I can say that the quality of glass on the PST is way better than the Falcon. I played around a little bit with both scopes today. At 14 power, the Falcon was having issues seeing .308 rounds in the grey at 200 yards, while the PST was clear and I could easily see the target hits.

The eye relief on Falcon is very small. I noticed that the eye relief of the PST was very forgiving, so I could move around the gun a little more.

Overall, very happy with the purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can say that the quality of glass on the PST is way better than the Falcon. I played around a little bit with both scopes today. At 14 power, the Falcon was having issues seeing .308 rounds in the grey at 200 yards, while the PST was clear and I could easily see the target hits.

The eye relief on Falcon is very small. I noticed that the eye relief of the PST was very forgiving, so I could move around the gun a little more.

Overall, very happy with the purchase. </div></div>

Good to know I'm glad to hear it... Also I have looked through a basically brand new 5-25 ffp mil/mil (I think that was the zoom range) Falcon 3 weeks ago and the glass quality was a LOT clearer than the current 4-14 I'm currently using which is interesting.

Mike

Right, I was just making it up because I had nothing better to do. Have you tried it yourself or are you just wingin' it?
I did have a couple of others check it out while I was comparing the two and they saw it the same way.

If your Falcon goes blurry "at random times" that is a sure indication that something is WRONG with YOUR scope. It sounds like you have something loose there, you might want to get that looked at. At least don't group the brand in with a problem that is particular to YOUR scope. So far my FM has yet to do anything random.

I will say the eye relief on the Falcon could use some work but what do you want for under $400?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, I was just making it up because I had nothing better to do. Have you tried it yourself or are you just wingin' it?
I did have a couple of others check it out while I was comparing the two and they saw it the same way.

If your Falcon goes blurry "at random times" that is a sure indication that something is WRONG with YOUR scope. It sounds like you have something loose there, you might want to get that looked at. At least don't group the brand in with a problem that is particular to YOUR scope. So far my FM has yet to do anything random.

I will say the eye relief on the Falcon could use some work but what do you want for under $400? </div></div>

Didn't he just give an opinion on just his scope kind of like when you gave an opinion on just YOUR scope?

I too am not blown away with the 4-16 ffp glass. it's good, but my weaver tactical 4-20 is better. i base this on side by side comparison (i own both), at 1000 yards, the weaver is a little more crisp. the pst is just as bright though but a little fuzzy at 1k. (yes, i messed with paralax and eyepiece.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am not blown away with the 4-16 ffp glass. it's good, but my weaver tactical 4-20 is better. i base this on side by side comparison </div></div>

JonA's comments about the PST 6-24 vs. the Weaver 4-20:

"I was specifically asked how it compared with my Weaver 4-20 Tactical (which I've said before has outstanding glass for the price); the answer is it's at least as good. Resolution-wise they are pretty much a tie, but the 6-24 PST seems to have a tad better contrast and the colors look a bit richer but that's really hair-splitting.

In short, you could use the two side by side and not be able to tell the difference. That's with both of them on 20X of course, when you turn up the PST to 24X you obviously can see a bit more detail."

From this thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/viper-pst-anyone-68000/index3.html

This would be consistent with his assertion that there is a discernible optical difference between the 4-16 PST and the 6-24 PST.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, I was just making it up because I had nothing better to do. Have you tried it yourself or are you just wingin' it?

I will say the eye relief on the Falcon could use some work but what do you want for under $400? </div></div>

Didn't he just give an opinion on just his scope kind of like when you gave an opinion on just YOUR scope? </div></div>

Kurt, sorry I'm not quite following.

If a scope goes blurry at random times there is something more there than just an opinion on a scope. Basic troubleshooting would point to there being something that changes from one random time to the other, i.e. something is loose. Or, am I missing something?

FYI, my Falcon did this a couple of times leading up to a match and then took a dump right at the worst time. I'm not nearly as enamored with them as I once was. Especially after the replacement scope rattled a lens loose internally upon the first shot. I probably overkilled by stepping up to the Razor, but if it's anything, it's robust!

John

I'm not saying he is wrong but.... I'll try and take some pictures to confirm what i'm looking at. nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with the PST!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, I was just making it up because I had nothing better to do. Have you tried it yourself or are you just wingin' it?

Go back n read my last post. I just stated that the newer falcon I looked through was a LOT better than the one that is on my rifle. I just gave my opinion about the scope that is on my rifle. Don't get ur panties in a wad because heaven forbid someone say something bad about a falcon that disagrees with ur experience.

Mike

I wish I could afford the pst. i've only seen pictures but I definitely got a decent chub for this glass. on another note, i've had my menace for a while. and i've put a couple hundred rounds downrange with it mounted on my 7x57 mauser. no problems yet. hopefully, eventually my 700 will see a pst. I am sold on it.

Kurt,

I apologize if I upset you.

I am not picking on the PST and said I was a fan of that scope. I got one last year and I have defended that scope many times against the attacks from so many on this forum that have never even seen one!

I am a troubleshooter by profession (I fix 9-1-1 call centers. Can be very complex.) and flags went up when you mentioned your random problems. That was where I was coming from, not from a particular bent on a particular scope. That's all.

jrob300 posted above about lenses coming loose on his Falcon. If you think about it, it may sound like a possibility with your scope?

Again, I would recommend the PST. I think it's a nice scope for the money. Same with the FM, if it doesn't break. I don't get my feelings tied up with these things. If you do and I hurt them somehow, again, I apologize.

Sounds like we are on the same page.
I just got notice saying my PST was on the truck and should be here Monday. I will compare it to both the falcon that's on my rifle as well the newer falcon on my buddies rifle and report back.

The PST was at a gun show in the UK. We couldnt see any difference between the PST and the Razor by looking through them!

I dont know if this is a good thing for the PST or a seriously bad thing for the Razor!

Dont suppose it matters much though when £2000 for a Razor you are more expensive than a S&B and Hensoldt!!!!

Sort out your pricing please Vortex. No bang for buck over here
frown.gif

Jrob- I got to shoot for a few minutes again yesterday after work, no pictures but the weaver is better than the PST at the same power levels and even when turned all the way up to 20. Maybe its the made in Japan vs the Phillipenes.
Nevertheless, I've still ordered 2 more PST's!

I received my 4-16 ffp pst today and all I can say is I'm impressed! EVERYTHING about it is better than the falcon I had. Better glass, mag ring, turrets...etc hopefully it tracks and is repeatable!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received my 4-16 ffp pst today and all I can say is I'm impressed! EVERYTHING about it is better than the falcon I had. Better glass, mag ring, turrets...etc hopefully it tracks and is repeatable!

Mike </div></div>

Any idea on the butler creek scope cap sizes. SWFA has not measured this scope yet... dunno what size to order!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received my 4-16 ffp pst today and all I can say is I'm impressed! EVERYTHING about it is better than the falcon I had. Better glass, mag ring, turrets...etc hopefully it tracks and is repeatable!

Mike </div></div>

Any idea on the butler creek scope cap sizes. SWFA has not measured this scope yet... dunno what size to order! </div></div>

14 eye and 40 objective. That's what SWFA sent me. I just installed mine today and it's a nice snug but not to tight of a fit. I also put in Vortex's ARD in the front cap and it fit like a champ.

Ok. I will give it a try. My other scope has one and I have had no issues in just about everything but very low light conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PST was at a gun show in the UK. We couldnt see any difference between the PST and the Razor by looking through them!

I dont know if this is a good thing for the PST or a seriously bad thing for the Razor!

Dont suppose it matters much though when £2000 for a Razor you are more expensive than a S&B and Hensoldt!!!!

Sort out your pricing please Vortex. No bang for buck over here
frown.gif
</div></div>

Who's stocking them in the UK? Marchwood used to be the distributors but they don't appear on their website any more.