• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG bottom metal for Savage

Yep. Just got mine, and the same thing. Looks like the DBM has a taper that doesn't exist in the mag cut-out of the stock (it gets wider at the rear of the mag well).

Had planned on getting one for my Model 10FP, but after PTG told me they'd call me back after checking availability in the warehouse (4 weeks ago, no call yet), I said screw it and picked up some metal from another manufacturer.

Had planned on getting one for my Model 10FP, but after PTG told me they'd call me back after checking availability in the warehouse (4 weeks ago, no call yet), I said screw it and picked up some metal from another manufacturer.

It a great set up but they don't try very hard to sell them and that's unfortunate.

Agreed. They have a hell of a price-point - it's why I was interested at first, but after waiting and waiting and not getting any answers, it doesn't fill you with confidence.

Picked up a Atlasworxs unit for not that much more.

I'll be buying one of their bolt heads (whenever they come back in stock) for a caliber change though.

Okay, final (I hope) post on this topic.

If you are planning on buying this DBM for a Model 10 PC, buyer beware, it does not fit (as Milanuk said "not even close). I am not going to get into a bashing contest over PTG, just merely say that I contacted them before they shipped my DBM to hold off, as I had heard the DBM wouldn't fit, and they shipped it anyways (had over eight hours to keep it from going out, and did nothing).

When I got the DBM, I pulled the rifle apart and confirmed that the DBM wasn't going to fit without some significant work to either the DBM or the stock. For those unaware, the accu-stocks have an aluminum bedding block in the stock, the length of the receiver.

When I contacted PTG, the lady was polite, but said there "are no returns on DBM's, it's our policy" (which was news to me, as that was NOT stated when ordered, or marked on the invoice which they later said it was; I can provide a scanned copy if folks disbelieve me). At any rate, when I asked to speak to Dave personally, I was told "Dave doesn't take these kind of calls". I could tell the lady on the phone was nervous and was caught in the middle; between company policy and knowing this was BS. I got the impression I was not the first caller with this issue. At any rate, as I explained, she said she would talk to her manager "Jessica" and I offered to send photos, which she gratefully said she would appreciate.

Two hours later I get an e-mail, forwarded (with comments redacted) from the shipping person to "Jessica", and "Jessica" responding to my e-mail to hold shipment. How convenient (I thought) that I should get this e-mail after speaking with the CS rep (and sending her an e-mail with the photos). She requested that I "try it out first" and I quote "I would really appreciate if you gave it a try and let me know personally how it fits your own Savage rifle." Considering I had already spoken with "Denise" on the phone about this not fitting, I have a suspicion she already knew this. Further, in the e-mail she (Jessica) continued "We have been noting our invoices that we do not allow returns/refunds on bottom metal and magazines, because we have had some issues lately with customers changing their minds or other various reasons, and wanting to return their bottom metal for refund. However, on the flip side we have always stood by our products AND our customers, and I have yet to see a customer with a special circumstance that we are unable to resolve to everyone’s satisfaction. So please do not feel that we are completely inflexible in working with you!

Okay. So I respond in an e-mail a week ago stating that the DBM does not fit, and would require inletting the stock to make it fit. Also, that these were sold/marketed as "drop-in and/or OEM" parts. And also a link to this thread and post #47 where Dave specifically states:

I will elaborate , blfuller the savage Bottom metal will have a Magazine and inlet for every inlet Savage Makes and then Some and it will bolt in with little if any work . The girls can only take orders for Savage Models and spacing because they are not familiar with the fit like I am so until the drop in photos hit our web site you wont realize how easy its going to be for 99 bucks. When I say we will do them all that's exactly what I mean . I hope this helps . We are setting up a new E400 7 pallet CNC machining center to accommodate the other 18 HAAS machines to assure we make it all. Thanks Dave

And because of this post, I would like to send this product back for a refund. I said that I understood their policy about returns, but that I felt we were promised one product and delivered one that did not meet that promise. I then asked her how she would feel if she had been promised one thing, promised a delivery in 8 weeks, and then received something else and also waited 20 weeks? I then asked her how do we resolve this?

It has been a week now since that e-mail was sent. A week is more than enough time to allow a response, so I am now posting to others. Be advised, you will have to mod your stock if you have a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine.

The problem is the flange along the top of the DBM. This photo shows it next to the OEM DBM.
OEM-to-PTG_DBM_zps7cb1c51e.jpg

As you can see in this picture the PTG DBM does not fit the stock's cut out, since it is not wide, or tapered, enough to fit.
PTGDBM-Savage_M-10_PC_Stock_zps27b8d78f.jpg

The front of the DBM is wide enough, it's the back that is too wide (like .110-150" too wide). Since these rifles have an aluminum bedding block in the stock, I don't think a little sand paper or dremel tool is "minor fitting" that would work very well with this much material being required to be removed. Basically, we're talking (if you want a decent fit and finish, this stock will need to be milled out to fit.

Since I have not heard anything back from PTG I would assume, they just figure ignoring the problem is the best way to deal with this. I'm not going to lie, this fucking pisses me off, but not for personal reasons, more so, its the principle of the matter. PTG is knowingly screwing folks, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

I have a mill, so this isn't a big deal for me. But for the guys that don't have one, or are dropping a hard earned $177 so they can have a paper weight that doesn't fit, from a company that apparently doesn't give a shit enough to even attempt address a customer problem; well that is just plain wrong. As such, I am making this post for two reasons:

1. So folks know exactly what they are getting, and the resulting behavior of the company when there is an issue.

2. To pass on what is needed, if you have to have one fit.

Essentially, you'll need to mill .080" off each side of the mag well slot, to a depth of cut that is .400". I just bolted the stock the mill table and had at it. Set up and mill time is about 40 mins, less if you don't have to tear down an existing set up (which is the real pain, right? Because you have to reset it up after you're done).

When it's done, it should look something like this.
91382163-456f-404d-b758-0bfcc003a5a3_zpse95abbf6.jpg

Again, if you have a mill, this isn't too big a job at all. That being said, I didn't purchase this DBM so I could go out into the garage in 100* weather to mill the stock to fit either.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with PTG these days, and I am not here to bash them. I just want folks well aware of what they're buying with this bottom metal, and how silence seems to be PTG's response to a problem they themselves produced.

P.S. Yes, these photos (sans the milled stock) were what Jessica received a week ago and has yet responded to.

Last edited:
I had to take about a 1/16th off of each side in the rearward half of the mag opening
and remove the step as my stock is not the a accustock DBM inlet
Did it with a dremel in less than 10 minutes.
I wish I had a mill like you!
I already kinda knew there would be some work in involved in fitting it in and honestly it was worth it as my Savage feeds rounds like a champ now!

Mine feeds about 95% of the time flawlessly. The other 5% is a double clutch to the bolt to get it to chamber (hangs about 1/2' from battery). Good enough for the local matches I suppose, and as a back up rifle (not that an AI would probably ever go down).

Mine feeds about 95% of the time flawlessly. The other 5% is a double clutch to the bolt to get it to chamber (hangs about 1/2' from battery). Good enough for the local matches I suppose, and as a back up rifle (not that an AI would probably ever go down).

About the same percentage as you or a bit better, I think I've had one hiccup in the 200+ rounds fired since installed.
FAR better than the stock feeding with was being quite generous 50/50.

Nice work on the inlet by the way, looks good!

My name is Earl and I hope to answer some of your questions and concerns about our Savage Detachable BDL. I am busy every day here at PTG designing and developing new BDL. Every new product takes many hours and dedication to develop a good workable addition to our growing bdl inventory. We are always very concerned with quality and workability. We start each new project with the purchase of the rifle we intend to make a bdl for. I always attempt to make a true drop in without any modification to the stock or action and to be able to use the existing mounting screws. Most of the time this is possible but on occasion the existing opening is to small fit an AI magazine and some inletting is necessary. With the " in the trigger loop" bolt releases and so many different models, the Savage rifle has truly been a challenging undertaking. So far we purchased and made bdl for the following rifles:

Savage Model 10 cal. 22-250 w/bolt release in a Composite stock (a little inletting was required)
Savage Model 114 cal. 30-06 w/bolt release in a wood stock (no inletting was required)
Savage Model 14 cal. .308 w/bolt release in a Composite stock (inletting was required)
Savage Mode 10 cal. 223 without bolt release in a Composite stock (no inletting was required)
We have stock in (w/bolt release and no bolt release) in all above models.

Our SA models are with the 4.4 inch bolt hole spacing models. I am starting a design for the 4.27 inch version and will be in production soon. If a stock modification is necessary for your particular rifle we hope that it looks good and functions well. From now on I want to address any of your questions myself. Please ask for Earl and leave your name and phone number with whoever answers the phone and I promise to get back to you within a day. I am normally out on the floor so it is easier if I can call you back.

Custom Tooling for PTG Savage Bottom Metal

I have designed and built special tooling for inletting my Savage rifle stock. Using self-centering clamps, I have built a fixture to hold the stock stationary while I make accurate cuts with a palm router using plywood patterns. My first project was to do the inletting to accommodate an Anschutz rail under the forend of my Boyds laminated stock. I am very pleased with the results. I received the PTG bottom metal for Savage about two weeks ago and I am in the process of making three separate patterns for making the cuts I will need on my stock that currently sports only a blind magazine. The first step has been to make drawings of the cavities needed to mount the bottom metal. These patterns will be machined on a separate router table to dimensions of my drawings. When I complete the patterns I will perform the inletting on my stock and post pictures here on this site.

Although the bottom metal part was a long time in the making, PTG has done a very good job of keeping me informed about their progress. In my career as an engineer, I know the challenges that come with designing a new product and putting it into production, so I was willing to wait for this process to be completed. I am just glad that someone stepped up to address the growing need for a bottom metal solution that includes Savage's new design with the bolt release in front of the trigger. I used the wait time to make ready for the part when it did arrive. I expect to order a Savage bolt head and other machined products from PTG in the future.

Quick update:

Bottom metal received and installed in OEM crapperware stock. It is truly a fantastic piece and has fed exceptionally for me and works well with AccurateMags as well as AI mags. Did require inletting, which I can post some pictures of if anyone needs them.

THAT BEING SAID... I would not order directly from them again, but I would get the product again. I would order it from one of their distributors next time if at all possible. I was not happy dealing with them directly. Just my honest opinion, YMMW...

PTG has proved to be a tad difficult to deal with. I'm hoping my piece of hardware will be worth the hassle because its a great price and built sturdy as well. Ill find out soon enough. Ill be using accurate mags with it more then likely as LA AICS mags are hard to find.

I'm going to bring this one back from beyond the grave. I just got a Savage 12fv, the Cabela's exclusive, and am wondering if their bottom metal will fit. I really want it to be drop-in (or very close) as I don't want to send off my stock to get inlet/when I buy a nicer stock I would like to be able to move it over. It is a top bolt release, blind mag.

Thanks in advance guys.

My rifle:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts

The bottom metal: http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9137-sa-savage-stealth-dbm.html

I can't seem to edit my previous post on my phone.

I just got off the phone with PTG and they claim it should be a drop-in or very close to it. But with the experiences of everyone in this thread I would be a lot more comfortable with hands on experience.

Ummm...from what I can recall, the 12FV's are a blind mag rifle? Or did they transition to a Savage DBM recently?

Is this still an issue? Has PTG modified their DBM? I have an accustock from a 10 fcp-sr. What about a Boyds stock with their factory savage dbm inlet?

Let’s zombie this again. I’ve got an email out to PTG about this as well, but maybe someone here will have some insight.

I just installed my bottom metal in my 116. Everything fit fine. Had to file a couple thou off one plastic corner of the accustock, took five minutes.
Problem I’m running into is that Magpul AICS mags are not seating, and I can’t tell what’s impeding it. They seat in the lose bottom metal before I put the rifle together. I have an Accurate Mag on order for more testing.