• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PTG bottom metal for Savage

Nope, but they are "close" based on my most recent conversations with them. I'd guesstimate April at the earliest.

Who even knows at this point....I was told 4 weeks minimum a few days ago.

I am extremely disappointed with PTG and I will never do business with them again. I gave Ashley (sales rep) every opportunity to understand my situation but she could care less and she was rude..........those are facts by the way and NOT opinions.

Here's my situation.

I bought a Savage Model 10 in .243 last fall with intentions of just using the action for a custom build. In November I place an order with Manners for a T4 and had intentions of using the PTG bottom metal. I spoke with individuals multiple times over the October-December time frame and several times I spoke with Ashley. Until the end of December all was good. I would ask questions and I would get answers that were appropriate. I was told keep checking the website and when the product is in stock it will appear on the website. So the holidays pass, January goes by and I decide to get the ball rolling since it's time for me to ship my action to Manners for the stock inletting, pillar cutting, etc. I check the PTG website mid February to discover the Savage BM has now been added. Awesome! (Or so I thought.....). Due to some of the drop down menus when ordering the BM on PTG's website I had to clarify exactly how I needed to order the BM.

During multiple calls right before I placed my order nobody EVER stated "this is still not a stocked item". Below is a pic of the website as of today March 8, 2014. You can see the ordering options and see the product was added January 9, 2014.

So upon placing my order I also shipped my barreled action off to manners which included my new NSS lug and Criterion Varmint 6.5CM barrel.

Two days later I verify Manners received everything and I also check my PTG order since the BM was arranged to ship directly to Manners. The PTG was marked "processing" so I called only to discover these are STILL "4 weeks away at minimum" on Feb 28th. So here I am...... No BM, no barreled action and now Manners is stuck dead in the water until PTG finally rolls these out. I was told by PTG that my credit card will not be charged until the BM ships. THANKFULLY Manners had not started any inletting and I had the option to switch to CDI BM, which I happily proceeded to do.

Yesterday I call to cancel my order since everything was finally arranged for the switch to CDI. I speak with Ashley and tell her I need to cancel an order. She asked why and I simply stated that I cannot wait any longer and multiple deadlines have already been missed. She starts talking about why the deadlines are missed due to the whole 4.2 vs 4.4 spacing among other things and in the process rudely cuts me off multiple times. I let her talk until she decides to stop and then state I still want the order cancelled and tried to start explaining my situation with doing a custom build to include a Manners stock and get interrupted again. Finally she states "well just to let you know there's a 15% restocking fee".

I go over the following points:
-no product exists so zero man hours and labor have been spent pulling a part from a warehouse
-no shipping preparations have been made
-no charges have been applied to my card so there are zero fees anywhere that have occurred for PTG

Ashley still states it's mandatory and I will be charged. I ask for her to please waive the fee in this situation and I would still consider being a returning customer to PTG because sometimes situations can be totally out of your hand and I understand that but this production time frame simply will not work for me.

I get a bill for $19.50 a couple hours later via email and I confirmed that my card WAS CHARGED

So ...
-I am already spending more to get the CDI BM
-PTG did not communicate clearly with me
-PTG could care less and stiffed me $19.50 for a restocking fee for a part that DOES NOT EXIST and they never even charged my card to begin with

I just want everyone to know what the current situation is with these and what to expect for customer service.

Last edited:
Who even knows at this point....I was told 4 weeks minimum a few days ago.

I am extremely disappointed with PTG and I will never do business with them again. I gave Ashley (sales rep) every opportunity to understand my situation but she could care less and she was rude..........those are facts by the way and NOT opinions.

Here's my situation.

I bought a Savage Model 10 in .243 last fall with intentions of just using the action for a custom build. In November I place an order with Manners for a T4 and had intentions of using the PTG bottom metal. I spoke with individuals multiple times over the October-December time frame and several times I spoke with Ashley. Until the end of December all was good. I would ask questions and I would get answers that were appropriate. I was told keep checking the website and when the product is in stock it will appear on the website. So the holidays pass, January goes by and I decide to get the ball rolling since it's time for me to ship my action to Manners for the stock inletting, pillar cutting, etc. I check the PTG website mid February to discover the Savage BM has now been added. Awesome! (Or so I thought.....). Due to some of the drop down menus when ordering the BM on PTG's website I had to clarify exactly how I needed to order the BM.

During multiple calls right before I placed my order nobody EVER stated "this is still not a stocked item". Below is a pic of the website as of today March 8, 2014. You can see the ordering options and see the product was added January 9, 2014.

So upon placing my order I also shipped my barreled action off to manners which included my new NSS lug and Criterion Varmint 6.5CM barrel.

Two days later I verify Manners received everything and I also check my PTG order since the BM was arranged to ship directly to Manners. The PTG was marked "processing" so I called only to discover these are STILL "4 weeks away at minimum" on Feb 28th. So here I am...... No BM, no barreled action and now Manners is stuck dead in the water until PTG finally rolls these out. I was told by PTG that my credit card will not be charged until the BM ships. THANKFULLY Manners had not started any inletting and I had the option to switch to CDI BM, which I happily proceeded to do.

Yesterday I call to cancel my order since everything was finally arranged for the switch to CDI. I speak with Ashley and tell her I need to cancel an order. She asked why and I simply stated that I cannot wait any longer and multiple deadlines have already been missed. She starts talking about why the deadlines are missed due to the whole 4.2 vs 4.4 spacing among other things and in the process rudely cuts me off multiple times. I let her talk until she decides to stop and then state I still want the order cancelled and tried to start explaining my situation with doing a custom build to include a Manners stock and get interrupted again. Finally she states "well just to let you know there's a 15% restocking fee".

I go over the following points:
-no product exists so zero man hours and labor have been spent pulling a part from a warehouse
-no shipping preparations have been made
-no charges have been applied to my card so there are zero fees anywhere that have occurred for PTG

Ashley still states it's mandatory and I will be charged. I ask for her to please waive the fee in this situation and I would still consider being a returning customer to PTG because sometimes situations can be totally out of your hand and I understand that but this production time frame simply will not work for me.

I get a bill for $19.50 a couple hours later via email and I confirmed that my card WAS CHARGED

So ...
-I am already spending more to get the CDI BM
-PTG did not communicate clearly with me
-PTG could care less and stiffed me $19.50 for a restocking fee for a part that DOES NOT EXIST and they never even charged my card to begin with

I just want everyone to know what the current situation is with these and what to expect for customer service.

Wow that is bullshit. I have seen pretty much the same thing during my wait for the bottom metal. Nice of them to charge you for restocking when it never left in thw first place. I might cancel anyway. What horse shit

sent from my POS phone

Wow man that blows. Good way to lose a lot of business. I sure won't be doing any business with them I look forward to seeing your build when its done. I am looking at BM for my new Savage Precision Carbine. Doesn't look like I am going Pacific Tool......

After reading this I am definitely going with someone else, probably CDI. What a crock of sheet and a poor way of doing business. I would dispute the charges with your credit card company. Just explain that they didn't have the item in stock and they led you to believe they did and after you found out they did not have them, you cancelled the order.

I went through a very very similar situation with them. Delayed shipping time by a week, causing me to miss a gunsmith appointment, also a charge for faster shipping even though I was told the shipping was going to be taken care if. I won't do business with them anymore

Customer Service--PTG

I would like to join in this conversation, as I am a sales rep. here at Pacific Tool. We would like to apologize to those of you who may have received less than excellent customer service from us. We have taken the necessary steps to rectify the situation, as that is not how we want our company to be represented. I personally take great pride in working for this company, and just wanted to take a moment in letting you all know that there are several sales reps here who feel the same way that I do--Sheila Wise, Michelle Winters, Kathleen Whiteman are all wonderful ladies who work hard to take care of each and every one of our customers. Each and every one of you is more than welcome to contact me anytime, with questions you might have about products or release dates, etc. Though I may not always have the technical knowledge required to answer a question, I will always be sure to follow up and get an answer for anyone who needs it. I hope that you might give me a chance, (or one of the other ladies I work with, that I mentioned above) and contact me if there is any thing that we can do to help you. Thank you--Jessica Johnson

Ive done business with PTG, shipping takes a while but their stiff is good to go, CDI on the other hand is a great company, I use their BM exclusively,I also have them do the inletting, they cost more but turn around time is amazing and always as promised.

After reading this I am definitely going with someone else, probably CDI. What a crock of sheet and a poor way of doing business. I would dispute the charges with your credit card company. Just explain that they didn't have the item in stock and they led you to believe they did and after you found out they did not have them, you cancelled the order.

I would like to join in this conversation, as I am a sales rep. here at Pacific Tool. We would like to apologize to those of you who may have received less than excellent customer service from us. We have taken the necessary steps to rectify the situation, as that is not how we want our company to be represented. I personally take great pride in working for this company, and just wanted to take a moment in letting you all know that there are several sales reps here who feel the same way that I do--Sheila Wise, Michelle Winters, Kathleen Whiteman are all wonderful ladies who work hard to take care of each and every one of our customers. Each and every one of you is more than welcome to contact me anytime, with questions you might have about products or release dates, etc. Though I may not always have the technical knowledge required to answer a question, I will always be sure to follow up and get an answer for anyone who needs it. I hope that you might give me a chance, (or one of the other ladies I work with, that I mentioned above) and contact me if there is any thing that we can do to help you. Thank you--Jessica Johnson

Hello Jessica, thank you for chiming in here because, as you can see, there is a few folks that are less then happy. I'm sure we have spoken on the phone as I have called a few times a month for the past few months with questions. You ladies are a very nice bunch but it does seems the folks above you aren't. I'm with the others on this as well, I didn't cancel an order and get charged a restocking fee but it was similar.

I ordered a stealth m5 for my remington long action last Monday. Sunday, I noticed the m5 flush went on sale for $100 so I called this morning to see if I could cancel my order and get the flush since my bank account wasn't charged yet. I think it was Michelle I talked with. She had to speak with someone first to see if I could and informed me I would be getting a call back. Well, not but 2 hours later I got an email with a tracking number. So, apparently, they didn't want to cancel it and put it through ASAP to keep from losing $30. I can't complain to much as its only a week lead time and others are 4+ and I'm not gonna call crying over $30 but its little shit like this that's getting to your customers. Ill order more stuff from you guys as I'm not easily bothered by this because I understand fully how tough a busy business is, but I figured I would just add my 2 cents.

Ill keep my eye out for my BM. Hope its good stuff

I was contacted by Jessica on Monday about this situation. Jessica has a totally different attitude than the person I dealt with before and has been very helpful.

Upon discussing all the options of the BM and verifying the specifics of my action (4.4 spacing, bolt release on action, etc) I am now back on track with PTG BM for my build. I was lucky enough that my manners stock had not gone through inletting just yet.

I have also been refunded the cancellation fee, thank you PTG for rectifying this situation and doing so in a professional manner. If anyone has questions feel free to contact Jessica or anyone she vouches for.

Looks like some nice 14 and 110 DBMs came in from the anodizers today .

That is the essence of terrible customer service that is all too common these days. Businesses seem, like many young people today, too have a sense of entitlement to your business and money. It seems that more and more often companies will have a line of entry level staff who are indifferent, unapologetic, and tell you they can't help you because it is policy, or it is "mandatory" etc. Then only if you waste your valuable time and voice your complaint long and loud enough up the chain, or better yet voice your poor experience in a place like this where it will be heard by numerous potential customers do you seem to get any resolution. You shouldn't have to work so hard to get a little customer service. Customer service should be given out of a desire to earn your business and a thank you for your business, not to pacify you after you threaten to take your business away and after you share your negative experience with others then attempt to mitigate the damage.

That's funny Dave, when I called two weeks ago I was told by one of the ladies that long action savage bottom metal was 3 months out. I asked if they were taking backorders, she said yes and then said goodbye and hung up. From the posts on this site and my experience it seems PTG has a good product but is seriously lacking knowledgable helpful staff. Not to mention the web store is not very clear on product descriptions. Not a good recipe for word of mouth buisness.

I ordered a Stealth LA savage bottom metal from them back in December. The last I heard from them on March 4 it should be shipped out before April. They are pretty much the only company shipping to Canada right now, so I gotta hope they will get them made and shipped soon. I like the design of the bottom metal better than the CDI, the bottom metal covers part of the clip and it looks like it would be quicker to put a magazine in.

Savage wasn't even shipping parts to Canada back in December, their license expired, so I am glad someone has went to the trouble to get the licensing to ship to Canada.

I have talked to several people at the company on the phone, and have had e-mails back from several. They all seem friendly, and courteous.

I just hope it arrives soon. I need time to get it set up for the moose hunt in the fall.

Last edited:
I received shipping confirmation of my Model 12 SA DBM this afternoon. The order was placed in October.

Don't forget to give us a full pictorial review when it shows up.:)

I can take a few photos, but unfortunately the build this part was intended for has been completed. This will likely sit on the shelf for another 6-12 months before I can use it in another build, so no review other than tabletop.

What do the different latch types mean? What's a t latch?

The latch in the pic shows the "T" shaped for easier manipulation, the standard does not have the tabs on each side. Typically this is called the magazine release or magazine catch.
Savage%20BM%20Mounted.png

Last edited:

My PTG Savage DBM with standard latch and top-side bolt release arrived yesterday. Quite beefy. It appears to accept AI, Accurate, and Alpha magazines.

Just placed an order with Michelle. Very courteous, patient and up front with answers. Not sure when they'll ship yet (I'm assuming another production run in the works?), but will also post pictures of the fit and finish on my Model 10PC with a Pac-Nor 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

Anyone have an update of these? I ordered one a few weeks ago (maybe 3 or 4?), and Michelle didn't have a date, but was going to call back the next day with an estimate. I never got a call, so was wondering if anyone had any updated info on the next run of Savage Model 10, .308 based, with bottom bolt release? I wasn't expecting it to be delivered by now (not a huge rush or anything), was just curious if anyone had heard anything?

And this post is not a bash against Michelle or PTG (I know they're screaming busy), just tossing the question out to others, so I don't have to be yet another interruption in their daily lives (especially if the question has already been answered to someone on this board)....

Checked status on Friday, (ordered on 3/5/14). Being told a couple more weeks. This was for the savage 110 version, others may be different.

Yep.

I called two weeks ago and was told "two to three weeks". This was for the Model 10, .308 with bolt release on the trigger guard.

Its amazing how long these are taking. You guys should do what I did, call and ask to cancel. They said they would call me right back. Next thing I know, my bank account was charged and it shipped next day. This was for a LA 700. I will tell you, for half the price of the others, its very beefy and looks great. Nothing was over looked on its engineering and it feels like its worth double its price. Worth the hassle I will say that.

Ive had several cdi bm and always been happy. The cdi could be beefier through the trigger guard bow and the mags( AI) are pretty loose. The last cdi i installed for a buddy was a bottom release version. cdi's method of working around it is fairly simple, but not as elegant as the ptg. Cdi's version uses a basic dbm with area's cut out, u then have to bond a release extension to the bolt release. While that part actually works better,for me, then the factory button i have to wonder if dbm is weaker with the material cut out and also a lot more of a hole to get junk into the trigger area.
I ordered a ptg dbm for my fn a3g. Fit was perfect, machined well and beefy. Ai mk1 mags fit good, not too tight but no slop at all. Seems to me the delays and hard feelings resulted from them releasing info too early, well before product was able to be sold. The restocking fee was horseshit, definitely agree there.
Us gunowners are quite impatient bunch, myself included. Can't remember how many times i've been butthurt over a product not ready "on time". Just the nature of business, sometimes unforseen delays occur.

Last edited:
What Nelson said. Hell, I waited four years for one of my stocks, so this is nothing new.

My question I keep asking myself is, "Will the AI-AT arrive before the PTG bottom metal?". :) Ironic if it does, and I'll be happy regardless when the bottom metal does arrive. I've got a good friend interested in starting long range stuff, and with two little ones at home (real little) and a stay-at-home mom, dinero is tight. So...the bottom metal will go on a rifle I may "loan" him for a few years, until he can financially afford his own or decide the LR game is not for him (which I doubt).

Just got my stealth bottom metal and two 300 win mag AI mags from them yesterday.

The bottom metal looks great, and the magazines fit in perfectly.

Just have to inlet the stock and make it work.

I ordered it back in December 2013, worth the wait I think, it was half the money of CDI bottom metal.

I am just glad that I found a US company willing to go through the hassle of shipping to Canada, not many do.

I will let you know how it works when I get it done.

Sheesh. Just now saw this.

Nice to see more options available for the Savage platform, especially the bottom bolt release models; unfortunate that there's been some drama thus far.

Just to be clear... in the pictures, the little tab or button along the side just under the wood is the bolt release? I've got a 10PC-SR that is a honey of a rifle... except for it only taking 4rd factory mags. Being able to use 5 or 10 AICS mags would be sweet beyond words!

I would call them, tell them what you have & want. They are there to help you. I have both long & short Savage DBM from them.

Ah, okay. I was looking for a short action version and completely skipped over the 110 series stuff.

Anyone know what 'Caliber specific thru-hole' refers to on the order page? I've purchased and installed a few different kinds of bottom metal in the past, and never ran across that one before. And, yes, I did call PTG and ask - more specifically if that meant I would be permanently wedded to one particular caliber, say .308 Win vs. .260 Rem. First girl had been there about a week, so I didn't really expect her to know. The next gal said 'yes if you get it for a .308 thats all you can use it for'... which seems kind of odd, since the round feeds out of the magazine, which is not what I'm buying - just the part that holds the magazine. I got them to bump it up a notch and I'm waiting on a call back - I'll post if I get anything good ;) In the meantime, if anyone who actually has one in their hot lil hands knows what exactly that verbiage is supposed to mean, I'd appreciate a translation!

I suspect it has to do with side feed/center feed and .223/.308 differences across the models (like Savage 110's with short actioned, blocked magazines versus the long action mag), but don't know for sure. I mentioned that my .308 based Model 10 Savage action was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and the lady said that it should still work. Still waiting on the BM though...

Any one else get theirs yet? Still haven't heard anything here...

Ptg 110 long action dbm in a Boyd's tacticool stock.
Did take some minor inletting to get everything working right. Aics mags, 6.5x55 swede. Nothing real major though. Picking rifle up Saturday. Will post more pics for everyone then. Just thought I would give you a few teasers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 58
Longtime lurker, first time poster...

Same experience as Longshot85. I ordered a PTG stealth bottom metal in February for a savage short center feed with the bolt release in the trigger guard. Understanding was i was in stock when ordered based on website. No reply for a month plus and so began the current battle. I've been strung along and "misinformed" by sales reps a number of times on the delivery date the told it was still in prototyping last week! Could not believe it. Very poor contact, was promised prompt return calls or emails and received none on multiple occasions until I called back a week later in some cases and got the same spiel again about it being machined now and shipped out "soon".

Finally got ahold of Dave today after asking to cancel and getting the "15% cancellation fee" line and sending a polite but strongly worded email and phone call yesterday. Was told the delay as the fault of savage custom shop and others not agreeing on how a part of the bottom metal should be made (I believe one of the release levers). Was not too pleased to hear someone else getting the blame for their not communicating what was going on for nearly half the year. Was promised a ship date of within 24 hours of August 5th assuming their anodizer does the job on time. I'm holding them to this, if that doesn't go down I will either pursue legal action, dispute any charges, or both. Whatever is necessary. He promised his product was stellar and I will be pleased beyond belief with it, and by all accounts I'm sure it will be great (if I ever get one).

In all, these folks have been nothing but nice, but the experience has been absolutely horrible. I don't mind waiting, nice gun things take time, but when you represent it as being available and repeatedly lie or are told "misinformed" delivery dates for half a year with an incomplete firearm sitting in your safe, and it still isn't even their fault that they didn't tell me what is going on accurately until now? Unacceptable.

Hoping this gets to me soon, I am fed up with being fed this funny business. I would not recommend you order from these folks until they get things straight. Or perhaps order from a third party like Midway or Brownell's once it gets that far, because I wouldn't wish this headache on anyone. This is all assuming it is in fact a great product. Will update if/hen I ever receive one. Please excuse any weird spelling or formatting mistakes, my laptop decided to take a dirt nap...

Bump for an update.

Was out of town on travel and got a message from the wife that PTG called with a question. Bottom metal was ready, but T latch wasn't available yet. Did I want one with the regular latch or wait?

I responded late Friday after getting home from the air plane trip from hell and told them I'd take it.

Just got an invoice this morning, so it looks like it'll ship. Will post how it fits a Model 10 PC (with bottom bolt release).

Yeah... got the call a month or two back double checking my order - T-latch for a bottom bolt release gun (10 PC-SR). Got another call last week that my order was ready but it wasn't the T-latch since they aren't making those for the bottom bolt release models; was that okay? Not really, but apparently I don't have a choice at this point.

Package came Friday while I was on my way to a match. Got home yesterday evening and this morning I go and try to swap out the new "stealth" bottom metal for the factory parts:

b77d253c0579d7f383beccea3597b07f.jpg

Doesn't even come close to fitting, and the stock screws are way too short. I noticed they invoice is marked "NO RETURN /NO REFUND"... might have to talk with them about that.

Yeah... got the call a month or two back double checking my order - T-latch for a bottom bolt release gun (10 PC-SR). Got another call last week that my order was ready but it wasn't the T-latch since they aren't making those for the bottom bolt release models; was that okay? Not really, but apparently I don't have a choice at this point.

Package came Friday while I was on my way to a match. Got home yesterday evening and this morning I go and try to swap out the new "stealth" bottom metal for the factory parts:

b77d253c0579d7f383beccea3597b07f.jpg

Doesn't even come close to fitting, and the stock screws are way too short. I noticed they invoice is marked "NO RETURN /NO REFUND"... might have to talk with them about that.

Can you post a pic of the inlet of your stock?
Mine has the stepped inlet and basically I dremmeled the step out and it went in nice.

Ptg 110 long action dbm in a Boyd's tacticool stock.
Did take some minor inletting to get everything working right. Aics mags, 6.5x55 swede. Nothing real major though. Picking rifle up Saturday. Will post more pics for everyone then. Just thought I would give you a few teasers.

Talk to me about that trigger...