• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

There is the steel that Bigwheels has out there. All my steel is at my parents' cabin, and unfortunately I won't have a chance to get any of it back before this weekend.

For future reference, I'm trying to schedule all the matches at Upper Nisqually for the 3rd Saturday of each month. I hoped that by doing so, there would be matches available on more weekend dates for shooters to pick from. I tried to pick a day that didn't conflict with any of the other matches up this way.

I also had to try and find a day that Nisqually's range wasn't already taken. Hopefully, I got close to both of my objectives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK12 MOD0 SPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in for Sunday. AD1 and I might be carpooling together from Kent. Where are you thinking of meeting up and what time? Do you have any steel to shoot at? </div></div> I have 4 plates we can shoot at.

Sweet. I just have one little 8" round gong but ill bring it along.

What are you gonna be shooting?

.308 bolt action,but I may bring a gas gun too. I will have to see what I have ammo for and how much time I have to make more.

Ok. Sounds like you all are coming up on sun. I'll be up there about 9:00 +/-or 10:00. Can I assume noone will want to shoot the 1950yd tgt? That one will need some gardening done so we can see it.

Would you be kind enough to send me a pm with an address or a place to meet so we can follow you up there (rookies).

Howdy gents -- I dropped mostly into lurker mode on the local threads here because I've been out of the precision rifle game for the better part of a year waiting on my rifle that I tore down to get put back together again... but now I'm back, and rifle-wise better than ever (I've come over to the 6.5mm Dark Side, among other improvements).

I was going to be going out to the square range once again this weekend to verify my load development results, but screw it, this sounds way more fun -- "if my calculations are correct" I might even be zeroed for my settled-upon load
smile.gif

So, barring any surprises, I'll see y'all (some familiar faces, bunch of new ones) on Sunday. I have a small reactive popper I'll bring with. Bigs, definitely don't do any gardening on my account
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For future reference, I'm trying to schedule all the matches at Upper Nisqually for the 3rd Saturday of each month. I hoped that by doing so, there would be matches available on more weekend dates for shooters to pick from. I tried to pick a day that didn't conflict with any of the other matches up this way.

I also had to try and find a day that Nisqually's range wasn't already taken. Hopefully, I got close to both of my objectives.</div></div>
Unknown, just thought I'd let you know that while I'll be indisposed for this month's match due to a prior commitment, I definitely plan to participate in your matches now that I'm back in commission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK12 MOD0 SPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you be kind enough to send me a pm with an address or a place to meet so we can follow you up there (rookies).</div></div>
I'd help you out, but don't exactly remember how to get there myself (I'll probably be carpooling/following Market Garden depending on how much room he has left).

-Matt

How is it going everyone, glad i found this thread, i just got my rifle finished but missed the last 600 yard high power matches at local range till oct and looking to jump into some competition and/or just good old fashion ringing steel, would love to know more about other get together or local matches in Puget sound area, thanks again

If anyone needs a guide up there I'll meet people at the AM/PM station at the intersection of E Moore Street and Hwy 9 in Sedro Woolley. I plan to leave from there to head to the shooting spot at 9:00 on Sunday morning, so don't be late!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abanks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is it going everyone, glad i found this thread, i just got my rifle finished but missed the last 600 yard high power matches at local range till oct and looking to jump into some competition and/or just good old fashion ringing steel, would love to know more about other get together or local matches in Puget sound area, thanks again </div></div>

Welcome. The next match is July 21st at the Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club. There's a bunch of people getting together this Sunday to go out to Acme, WA to do some shooting as well with ranges from 100-1250 yards.

Who built your rifle abanks?

Marketgarden, and Abanks,
As you both have recent builds, maybe you can give me some info. I have a DPMS LR308 that I'm thinking about getting re-worked. It is currently in 308. I have an Obermeyer 1-11 twist 30 caliber blank, and am considering getting that barrel set up to put onto the DPMS rifle. The work I would need done is:

1. cut and crown barrel at 22 inches, and thread the muzzle
2. Profile the barrel
3. install a barrel extension and headspace for my bolt
4. set up the barrel diameter and drill gas hole for a gas block

Would the person who did your builds do this kind of work? I'm trying to figure out if it is cost effective to use my own barrel, or if it would be better to just buy a barrel and bolt from a large supplier.

hsss (he posted just above your post) has built the last 4 rifles I've done. He can certainly do the work you're looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hsss (he posted just above your post) has built the last 4 rifles I've done. He can certainly do the work you're looking for. </div></div>

JD at HSSS builds GREAT rifles. You can't go wrong getting one of his.

http://www.wix.com/highspeedshootingsys/jdthomas

My blaster was saved by JD/HSSS after some... shall we say... 'questionable' work by A. Nother Gunsmith (don't worry, nobody local)... he'll take care if you.

The only good thing about the months and months of waiting for that other guy was that it gave me more than enough time to purchase my can and receive the stamp from the BATFE (yes, it took *that* long).

Hey folks,
The stars are (finally!) aligned and I've got a free weekend, and I'd love to join the meet-up for Bigwheel's place on Sunday. Market garden- I'd love to trail you from the gas station Sunday morning. I'll PM you.

I might have to go try and find some shelf ammo and see if I can make it up there on Sunday...

Broker,
I'll give you a bandolier with 60 rounds of GI ball ammo..but it has ferous content in the bullets. You should be safe as long as the targets are at least 300-400 yards away. The ammo isn't AP, but it shoots like ball ammo...about 2 inches at 100 yards. (But it is free)

My rifle has had no work done by gunsmith. It really all factory, Remington 700 AAC-SD 308, AICS 1.0, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, and Harris bipod. I would love to shoot but sunday may be out when else are you all looking to shoot, any other areas?

IMG00329-20120703-2001.jpg

For those coming up here to shoot tomorrow. I'll be up there about 9:30-10:00+/- but I need to chrony & verify zero so I'll be going to the back side where bsc sages 4-6 were for the 1st hour or so. If I'm not @ the 750yd spot just set up what steel you want & get to it. Just remember your backstop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Broker is in but does any one want to shoot on the 11th? With in three hours of Ft Lewis? </div></div>

If anyone's interested let us know. The weather is perfect this week with morning clouds and afternoon sun. We got plenty of steel
grin.gif

For those of you up @ at Acme today... turns out that the "steel" we were shooting at 905 was not Bigwheel's steel after all. It was a sheet metal locker door or something that somebody had propped out there to shoot. We punched plenty of fresh holes in it, so just assume they were all your shots
smile.gif
. Big's steel was tucked tucked away in its place.

Good shooting with you all and good meeting/seeing you all... good day of shooting!

-Matt

Now I don't feel so bad about my abysmal spotting :)

Thanks to all of you, esp. Market Garden for leading us up there and Bigwheels for establishing the place to begin with. I'm really happy to have finally met all of you- I had a blast, even with my single-shot, breech-loading OBR.

One mystery solved, now if we can figure out the sideways impact at 200 ......

I had a good time yesterday, though it was a bit warm. It's always good to meet new people out there.

Anyone know of anywhere locally that carries decent .260 ammo for target shooting? Wholesale Sports only has Barnes Triple Shock at a ridiculous $38.99 a box and it's more hunting than target...

Yep - that "steel" was 0.093 sheet metal that we painted/propped up for laser ranging purposes on Saturday. Trying to lase the 11"x17" LV steel target at those distances is difficult.

Thought we would leave it up for you guys - didn't know you shoot it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep - that "steel" was 0.093 sheet metal that we painted/propped up for laser ranging purposes on Saturday. Trying to lase the 11"x17" LV steel target at those distances is difficult.

Thought we would leave it up for you guys - didn't know you shoot it... </div></div>

Classic! Yeah, everybody saw the "steel" up there, and assumed that Big's steel had either already been set up that morning or been left out. Nice thought though
smile.gif

Good to know. I'm glad someone didn't leave my steel up for someone to steal. Glad you all had a good time. Tibor, & I finished up our chrony, & zero session, & moved out to the 750yd spot, & blew up some pigeon shards for a while, &called it a day. It got up to 83* about 4:00, & we had enough.

Broker and I had a great time. The conditions were near perfect. DA 4200, 79 degrees and only a 3-5 mph wind from the west.
[img:left]
acme12.jpg
[/img]
2/3 IPSC at 938 yards
acme11.jpg

A few shots taken with the 6mm Creedmoore with some Copper Creek Cartridge Comapany 6 mm CM 105 BTHP. The shot in the neck was an attempt at a head shot.
This is an epic cross canyon shot with some funky winds. Great verticle on the ammo, the horizontal was all me and the winds.

Thats a nice piece of AR500 steel!!! LOL, JK, nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a nice piece of AR500 steel!!! LOL, JK, nice shooting </div></div>

Speaking of which... We need to talk, lol.

nice steel indeed, i think it is the same one we shot at with a 338 edge, other than removing paint, nothing happened to it.

At 900 yards or so, the 338 edge shouldn't bother the AR500 steel at all. The trick with the 338 is that you really have to anchor the target stand much more "firmly" than you would with a 308, 260 Remington, 300 Win Mag and similar rounds.

It is a royal pain to have to stop everything just to go reset the target stand when it is 900 yards (+) down range.

I gotta get to the next shoot with you all, looked like alot of fun

My rifle is back from GAP - wahoo. I am currently developing a load the rifle likes and I'm having a hell of a time getting any accuracy out of bonded 7mm bullets (Hornady Interbond 154gr or Swift Scirocco 150gr). The rifle loves 168rg Bergers though, and the bonded bullets haven't been able to come close to the level of accuracy the Bergers are giving me.

I also welded up some brackets to hold up my 24"x24" - 70lb piece of AR500. I'm ready for the next group outing to meet the forum members for the first time. I have a 3 wheeled push cart I use for sporting clays which holds the target well. As long as the slope isn't steep, it rolls well and I can go just about anywhere.

7585984850_18c28125c9.jpg

Some bullets just don't shoot well in some rifles. I had a Rem and Savage 30-06 rifles at the same time, and neither rifle liked Nosler partitions. As soon as I went to match type bullets, both rifles easily turned in MOA groups. Of the two rifles, the Savage was the more accurate....and the uglier. But, the consistent accuracy of the Savage made it a keeper.

From Arlington here. Shoot at MRC on their thursday public days and up at Plantation in Whatcom. Any other places up this way not too far for us .223 guys? I just got a Noveske topped with Vortex 2.5-10 that I'd like to shoot a little further. Plantation is nice but it's hard to see .22 cal holes at 300 and you can't go to the target and check it or put up shoot-n-c type things.

Pm me for info. I have a place about a 1/2 hrs north of Sedro Wooley. I have steel for 750yd, & 1250yd, or byo for almost anything in between.

MStarmer,
There will be a practical rifle match Saturday 21 July at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club near Eatonville. They have a web site with directions and all the normal stuff. 80 rounds, targets at 100,200,300,400,500,550 yards. It is an all steel match, $20 entry fee. Orientation for first time shooters starts at 8am, match starts at 10am. We don't have that many shooters, so we may finish up pretty early. That is fine with me. Email me if you need more info.

So far, the match has drawn a pretty good group of fellows...no "king of the hill" kind of people. Very friendly laid back match.

I would like to take a moment to talk about my shooting area up @ Acme. I have noticed that some of you have been using fence posts for target stands, & leaving them in the ground when you leave. I ask that you pull them out, & hide them with my steel when you leave. Also I noticed that some of you are setting up targets out on the far point where there is no proper backdrop for your missed shots. I ask that you set them up below the road by the fire pit if you must put up targets over there for shots from the 750yd ffp. I don't want any targets up in the "Y" of the road. I have had complaints that rounds have sailed up to the main road from missed shots from targets in the "Y" so I don't want any target set up there any more. So please set up your targets with a proper backdrop, & clean up when your done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MStarmer,
There will be a practical rifle match Saturday 21 July at Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club near Eatonville. They have a web site with directions and all the normal stuff. 80 rounds, targets at 100,200,300,400,500,550 yards. </div></div>

Unknown thanks for the info!! That sounds like a great time but unfortunately I work graveyard and don't have weekends off (gotta love public service...). Anyway I still have a little tweaking and load development before I try something like that. If there is a e-mail list or some way to know when something is set up let me know. Good to know there actually are a few things going on around here. Usually the most I get to do I take some classes at FAS.

Thanks
Mike

Bigwheels

I can't make the shoot today but if there are ones in the future I'll make sure to work my schedule around them. Thanks for organizing these.

Rich

A small turnout today, but with good results for the future. There were 1/2 dozen other gentlemen watching that wanted to see what it was about and expressed interest in signing up for the next one. If they join in the space is going to be somewhat limited, so make sure to RSVP Unknown.