• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

why not pile a up a huge amount of fire wood behind and to the side of the target, once every few years simply burn it up, collect the melted lead and replace it.
Afew guys with a couple chainsaw can do this in a day with all the blown down trees alone.

I ordered six pieces of steel today, and Broker says he has some re-bar, so targets and stands shouldn't be too far off.

I checked on getting some used fire hose to hang targets with, and the department I spoke with said that after they do their testing in May, they usually have a whole bunch of hose that they need to get rid of....FOR FREE! And I would be welcome to have some. My plan is to cut some hose up into useable chunks, then use those pieces to bolt onto the targets that will hang from the re-bar tripods. The targets can swing, and it won't be as expensive to fix the targets as it is when chain is used and eventually broken by bullets. That will make it fairly easy and cheap to have steel to shoot.

I'm sure open to ideas about target hangers that are either cheaper, easier to make, lighter, or easier to transport.

You can use my patented target stand. You need 2 each 8' 2x4's & a 8' chunk of 3/4" pipe. Cut the 2x4's in half, & drill a 1 1/8" hole near the ends. Cut the pipe in half, & then you have a spare pipe. Put the pipe through the holes, & spread the legs out as needed. I get hunk of pipe on the side of the road, etc, & 2x4's are everywhere.
Use the fire hose, & grade 8 bolts & it holds up to my 300wm.

Here's a cad of the rough first design I came up with (figuring on making them for the range if we get it up). They pack flat for easy transport and they can be shipped in a long box (the legs are 6' long).

targetstand.jpg

--Wintermute

Those are great target stand ideas. As this hose is supposed to be free when/if it becomes available, I hope people will let me know if they want any. I'll be happy to pick up a bunch and keep it for the people who want it as long as I don't end up with a bunch of hose in my garage for an extended period of time.

I would just ask that people let me know about how much they would like, and I'll be happy to grab it if/when it is available.

Other than with a chain saw, or Ax, or maybe garden shears, does anyone have a neat idea for how you cut fire hose?

I thought about building some wood berms as well. But I think that would make the place look like a shooting range and I don't think Green Diamond or the DNR wants that. I think it's our best bet to leave as little trace as possible so it doesn't get shut down.

Broker, I didn't get out to the sherwood forest area this weekend to scope it out. Are there and natural berms that can be used as back stops?

-Kelly

Why even make stands? You can put out T-poles and just leave them in place. It won't look like a range and I doubt anyone would bother the T-poles. It's relitively easy to make a hangar that you can put onto a T-pole. Permanently attach the hangar to the steel. That way, all you need to hump out each time is the steel plate. If they decide they don't want us shooting there anymore, just pluck the T-poles when not neeeded any more.

I'm sure I could find a use for a couple 4 to 6 foot lengths of firehose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than with a chain saw, or Ax, or maybe garden shears, does anyone have a neat idea for how you cut fire hose? </div></div>

Bandsaw. Make sure you use a slower speed one (eg. metal cutting, not wood cutting) and use a metal cutting blade on it.

Wood cutting speeds and blades will catch the fibers and yank them down into the guide wheels which will jam the blade and probably put you in the hospital.

I have a friend in the LAFD...I used to cut hoses for him when he wanted to make things out of them
smile.gif

--Wintermute

I don't have a bandsaw, so it looks like my trusty Ax will do the job...A nice sharp Ax, and a solid whack with the fire hose between the freshly sharpened Ax and a piece of solid hardwood should do the trick pretty quickly. But maybe I'll try out one of my Khukuri knives. I have a couple out of either A2 or D2 tool steel that should make short work of just about anything.

Sorry I couldn't join you guys. I spent the day working on my continuing education courses since I'm less than 20 days from the due date for my license renewal every 2 years and I hadn't done any of it yet. I was reminded in a friendly manner by my employers to get it done immediately, lol...

Broker
'Ya gotta eat, and if you don't work, you don't eat, or get to buy ammo to shoot.

I enjoyed shooting with Mutt today...fine fellow.

Thurston County members be aware, this is an excellent article just posted in the Primer. (read the full article in the Primer)
The following is the proposed draft of the no-shooting ordinance Thurston County Commissioner Karen Valenzuela resurrected from last year's failed attempt to enact county-wide no-shooting zones in a large part of Thurston County. The county has not made this new proposed ordinance public yet so they could get it as close to a vote as possible before asking for public comment. A board of 15 members was appointed by the county to revise and increase the scope of the 2011 ordinance that died from massive public outrage. The board members were selected from the core group of people who support the egregious reforms the county has been attempting to pass, like the Prairie Ordinance, the Critical Areas Ordinance, the Mazama pocket-gopher protection, and more. In a Feb. 6 article in the Business Examiner, Commissioner Valenzuela is quoted and essentially admits that it's not about the gopher but more so protecting "our" prairies. Somehow private property became "ours". (Thanks to Larry Weaver for that quote). This just proves that Thurston County will use any means it deems necessary to achieve its goals of eventually controlling everything we do. Passage of this ordinance is the first step to no shooting county-wide.

Hopefully, the pubic outrage that stopped it last time still remains, and will be a sufficient influence to quash it again. Aren't any of these people worried that they may NOT be re-elected?

I guess not, but it seems this time they are trying to Backdoor the legislation. It effectively ends target shooting in Thurston unless its a range or your hunting.

"Gee, I was shooting at a rabbit...didn't you see it? I wasn't target shooting as laws prohibit that... The rabbit was out there about 867 yards, just to the right of that piece of steel. I think I missed the rabbit and hit the steel plate though."

Is it hunting if you take a pet store rabbit and leash it to some steel?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it hunting if you take a pet store rabbit and leash it to some steel?
grin.gif
</div></div>

If you set it right it could be a mover, at least for a short time
grin.gif

I spoke with Broker today, and it sounds like the hopes of even going through the Green diamond land to get onto the DNR land is a bust. It also sounded like DNR says locked gates mean they will stay locked. Maybe our only option will simply be to hike in the steel and our gear if we want to set up and shoot there. So, we will have to figure out a lightweight way to mount targets.

Maybe mountain bikes would be the best way to get stuff in and out. It would sure be easier than hiking steel and guns in a half mile or more. And faster too.

I've posted this somewhere else and can't remember where. But, me and my buddy where talking about making some steel targets that would be easy to hump in and back out with the least amount of trouble. We came to a consensus that mounting the steel to a frame and putting some large wheels on it and basically making a dolly (like what you would use to move a fridge) with legs that extend to keep it upright, would work. You can walk it in trailing behind you. Set it up and extend the legs to keep it from falling over. Then, when you are done, put the legs away, tip it up onto the wheels and haul it back out. As long as you aren't climbing rocks or something, it would be just fine on rough terrain. You could even mount a basket or something of some sort that you could use to haul your rifles and range bag.

As for mountain biking in and out. If you were to use one of those baby/toddler buggies that pull behind your bike, you could pack a hell of alot of equipment in and out that way. It would only take one. That person could ride/haul in the targets and everyone else could just walk in. By the time they get there, the targets would be up.

By the way,

Got a chance to go out to Upper Nisqually range and shoot with Unknown the other day. Really nice guy. Pleasure to shoot with. Helped me work out some range cards for my rifle. Good guy. Pretty good shot too.

Today did not bring good news. The Gentleman I was working with went to the Land Commission for The Green Diamond Group on our behalf with several proposals to try and help us out. He was shot down on all of them. The response we were given was we could use their public areas that were already open but if we did choose to use such areas we would have to use "Non-Toxic" ammunition. They felt there was too much legal liability. He also asked on our behalf if we could at least be granted access through gates that have access to DNR properties as more of an access point off of the main road and they still denied the request.

My next pitch is going to be to the head of DNR for Washington... Come hell or high water I will get access to somewhere within a reasonable distance.

Sour news.I am sorry to hear that.I did some pricing on solid copper match bullets and they are over 3 times the cost of sierra match kings.Too expensive for this guy.Thanks again for working on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AD1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sour news.I am sorry to hear that.I did some pricing on solid copper match bullets and they are over 3 times the cost of sierra match kings.Too expensive for this guy.Thanks again for working on this. </div></div>

I'm in the same boat since I don't reload. And the ballistics for all copper will not be anywhere close to SMK. There are areas available, but they require hiking in and out. For the effort exerted in set-up right we might as well go to Acme or Ellensburg. I'm going to look at some Forestry Land area again as well. Unfortunately it takes a lot of research, gas, time to scout areas.

Who here would be available maybe next weekend for a trip up to Acme? BigWheels what's your schedule like?

First off, a disclaimer. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I might be totally full of shit on this issue!</span></span>

Why do you have to ask permission to use public lands? Aren't public lands (whether state or federal) just exactly that? Open to the public to be used as how people see fit?

Or is this a crazy-ass liberal state of Washington thing? I just haven't heard of having to ask permission to use public lands in Montana.

Ranger,
I'm pretty new up here (moved here last may), but from what I have seen, many of the gates to the areas where we would like to shoot are locked. We need the state to give us permission to enter through these gates, and I think that is where the problem is.

Frankly, I think that using the liability issue is BS because technically, any use they approve comes with liability...off road vehicles could leak oil or other petroleum products, roll overs due to poorly maintained roads could end in a claim that the state should have maintained the trails better.. Even hikers who trip and fall could sue over poorly maintained roads. It is my belief that many entities use liability as a cop-out to deny access to groups that they don't like for whatever reason.

Although we could easily present a logical argument for access, as all the people on this thread know, logic isn't often at the core of the anti-gun movement once you get them to engage in true dialogue or debate. Simply put, they don't like guns, so they come up with the BS excuse of liability. If we presented the argument that any use comes with liability, they they usually just shut down rather than admit that their argument is flawed.

I think Broker is doing a fabulous job on our behalf, and he is deserving of praise and gratitude from all of us. Keep in mind, Broker is doing all this work on his dime.

I think that eventually, we may yet find a place where we can shoot.

An approach that might work would be to ask the different state agencies for maps to all of their lands, and for their regulations on use and access. Once we have more information, we would be able to look at the lands, and research how the rules regarding access work. Once we know how to play the game, we have a fair chance at winning.

As it currently stands, it is much like flying blind. We need to know the maps, rules, and access rules, then we can try again.

We could look at the existing lands on the map, and circle the places that look promising based on things like:
1. Not near housing developments
2. Not near frequently used trails
3. Within reasonable distance from our start point (Bremerton, Tacoma and so on)
4. Sufficient distance
5. have places where we could set up a shooting and impact area.

After eliminating unsuitable areas, figure out how to use the existing rules to make our request for access.

It may be that the purpose of our access is irrelevant. If our purpose is not on a list of specifically prohibited activities, then we may not need to state the activity for which we are requesting access. This alone may eliminate much of the difficulty.

Of course, we have to make sure that we aren't in violation of any local or state ordinances by shooting there.

BROKER; THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, a disclaimer. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I might be totally full of shit on this issue!</span></span>

Why do you have to ask permission to use public lands? Aren't public lands (whether state or federal) just exactly that? Open to the public to be used as how people see fit?

Or is this a crazy-ass liberal state of Washington thing? I just haven't heard of having to ask permission to use public lands in Montana. </div></div>

It's not a use issue Ranger but an access issue. The safest and best areas to use are behind locked gates.

Ok, I've run into the access issue before. I've always had to park at the locked gate and walk in from there. The whole "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" deal. The state land I shoot on at the gorge is like that. Makes putting up steel at any distance a real work out.

I'd probably be down for some shooting at Acme next weekend.

I also think asking is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Remember the old saying "it's better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission". Works out that way with my wife anyway ...... LOL

Mutt,

You are betraying your military history with knowing that line.... That one (asking permission) is classic military wisdom like never volunteering for anything.

I think "No good deed goes unpunished" is a civilian one...

So if we are in agreement that access through the gates is the issue, not the use, why not try something like mountain bikes. We would only need a couple of them and could ferry gear and plates in...

Tis reminds that there's a classic photo from the Vietnam war where the commies would rig up bicycles with bags and such to ferry supplies through the jungle. The caption said that each bike could carry up to 400 pounds of supplies. I'm sure google can find that photo.

Ranger....
Regarding the bicycles.

I have met the enemy, and he is us.

History repeats itself.

Good ideas don't go away.

Idea stolen by Puget sound precision shooters from the Viet Cong.

hello there nw shooters, I'm kinda new to the hide, but I've been stalking for a year or so. well I'm from south king county, grew up here, and I'm starting to find it difficult to go shooting on public lands with out having some idiot show up waving his guns around like its the wild west. I'm not out shooting because i want company that gets wasted and leaves all their crap where they shot it. this has happened on several occasions in different spots i normally go and I'm tired of it.

i was hoping someone here could help point me in the direction of some nice quiet places, short of driving over the pass, where my wife and i could shoot out to 500 yards and not have to worry about said jackasses. I've seen some promising areas but trying to be legal eagles, we always try to call the county or rangers and make sure its ok to use and better than 90% of the time, they say its off limits to target shooting. is there something we need to purchase or apply for to use the PUBLIC land or what?

any kind of help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Mk12 Modo,
First off, welcome. You will find that almost no one gives up their shooting spots for precisely the reasons you stated. They fear that if they give up their spot, someone will publish it, and then some idiots with a box of beer, and a bunch of appliances they will shoot up and leave there will abuse their favorite spot.

I would suggest getting to know some of the people on the forum personally, as even corresponding on line won't build the kind of trust you will need before someone shares a shooting spot.

The last good long range spot I went to with Broker took about a 3 hour drive north toward Acme before we could shoot. But we were rewarded with a spot where the closest target was 750 yards, and the longest was 1249 yards.

Your reluctance to shoot outdoors is the same as mine...I don't mind sharing shooting spots, but I get angry when some idiot shows up loaded on who knows what, then proceeds to handle guns when I'm downrange. I just don't trust their insistence that "My finger isn't on the trigger", or "It's not loaded".

I would rather not shoot than put up with that BS.

In any case, welcome. We are working on finding places to shoot within a reasonable driving distance for those of us in the Puget Sound area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK12 MOD0 SPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello there nw shooters, I'm kinda new to the hide, but I've been stalking for a year or so. well I'm from south king county, grew up here, and I'm starting to find it difficult to go shooting on public lands with out having some idiot show up waving his guns around like its the wild west. I'm not out shooting because i want company that gets wasted and leaves all their crap where they shot it. this has happened on several occasions in different spots i normally go and I'm tired of it.

i was hoping someone here could help point me in the direction of some nice quiet places, short of driving over the pass, where my wife and i could shoot out to 500 yards and not have to worry about said jackasses. I've seen some promising areas but trying to be legal eagles, we always try to call the county or rangers and make sure its ok to use and better than 90% of the time, they say its off limits to target shooting. is there something we need to purchase or apply for to use the PUBLIC land or what?

any kind of help would be much appreciated. thanks. </div></div>

Welcome... You only really need 2 things. A Discover Pass and driving time, lol. I'm in the process of trying to work out areas less accessible to yahoo's and more accessible to us that are responsible. I would also suggest looking into the Upper Nisqually Gun Club in Eatonville as they have ranges out to 550 yards. Feel free to join up with us though at any get together posted...

I see AD1 and MG in for shooting next weekend at Acme. Anyone else interested in going? Bigwheels are you available next weekend? Anyone else wanna bring some steel to ring also?

To be determined... Saturday or Sunday Gentlemen?

I'm a member at Upper Nisqually and would enjoy some company out there to shoot if anyone wants to do some longer range shooting. Besides, if we split the cost of gas and breakfast, it works out better for us both.

The long distance range there has a 100,200,300,400,500, and 550 yard berms to shoot on. The shooting area is covered, has a cement floor, and cement benches to rest your rifle on. I like to bring my own stool though as the range chairs are all on rollers and I don't shoot well when my chair is rolling around...

I'm open to either day up at Acme. Of course, I would need to find out if my wife has any plans. Sure, I'll admit it...I like a quiet household, and have a pretty good idea how to achieve it.

Next weekend is wide open for me so either or.

if you wouldnt mind i would like to come out sometime and do some longer range shooting. the local ranges ive been going to only go out to 200 yards. ive got a fresh build i want to shot distance with.

ive never been to unsc and i see on their website stuff about membership, so do you have to be a member or are they open to public?

i have fridays off and most weekends so if your interested please pm me and we can discuss it. really appreciate being able to find quality guys to shoot with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a member at Upper Nisqually and would enjoy some company out there to shoot if anyone wants to do some longer range shooting. Besides, if we split the cost of gas and breakfast, it works out better for us both.

The long distance range there has a 100,200,300,400,500, and 550 yard berms to shoot on. The shooting area is covered, has a cement floor, and cement benches to rest your rifle on. I like to bring my own stool though as the range chairs are all on rollers and I don't shoot well when my chair is rolling around...

I'm open to either day up at Acme. Of course, I would need to find out if my wife has any plans. Sure, I'll admit it...I like a quiet household, and have a pretty good idea how to achieve it. </div></div>

I may be up for next weekend but I'll have to see what the fishermen are doing.

Mutt,
Acme, or at least where we went is about 2-3 hours north...east of Anacortes.

Mk12 Mod,
You don't have to be a member at UNSC to shoot, but they do charge $10 for non members to shoot, plus another $2 or $3 for each additional rifle. You can shoot there twice as a guest, then they want you to join. You would be welcome to shoot as my guest, and I too like finding quality people to shoot with. I have been fortunate so far, as both Broker and Mutt have turned out to be good people to shoot with.

I'll send you a PM....

I am all for a trip to Acme next weekend, either day works for me.