• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Captnmo, pm Travis 7mmAm here on the Hide, pretty sure he shoots out there. </div></div>

Thanks. Will do.

I've decided to get off my ass and put my building skills to good use since labor is free. I'm going to build an easily collapsible doghouse/roof that we can set-up and shoot from.

Edit:

I drew it out quickly on Paint so... lol... Basic concept and it can be broke down into individual pieces for easier transport. The dog house will be similar to Scott's (I stole your design Scott, lol) but improvised for assembly. The roof will be notched, removable, and can be used on any side of the dog house.

Roof-Doghouse.png

Dannyryan,
Welcome...I shoot out at Upper nisqually. They have a 550 yard range, and you would be welcome to shoot as a guest some time. They charge $10 per guest, and $3 for each additional rifle...(shooting two rifles would cost $13 then).

Broker,
That looks like a neat prop to use. We could do a great deal with a simple prop like that, and another one like a barricade that looks like stairs from the side with each step increase 12 inches x 12 inches. Each rise is a new position to shoot from... Two of 'em are easily made of out of a sheet of plywood.

I spend enough time as it is in the dog house.
wink.gif

K9-

Hey there, I ordered 4 steel targets from jc steel targets so next time we go out we will have more to shoot at. Unknown, if you need some more for your upcoming match at unsc let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K9-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spend enough time as it is in the dog house.
wink.gif

K9- </div></div>

Lol... for you it's just "The Box"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Broker,
That looks like a neat prop to use. We could do a great deal with a simple prop like that, and another one like a barricade that looks like stairs from the side with each step increase 12 inches x 12 inches. Each rise is a new position to shoot from... Two of 'em are easily made of out of a sheet of plywood. </div></div>

Stairs are easy enough, but most common steps are 7"hx11"d, but if 12"x12" is normal for matches I can come up with something. Is it for shooting in-between the steps or from the side at just different levels?

I'm looking at my materials, and I think what I have isn't going to work as well as I thought. I'm probably going to have to purchase the lumber. Anyone want to go in on it with me?

I ahve a bunch of shingles you can have and maybe a few 2x4 as well

I might be able to use a few 2x4's to make stands for my steel..

Bigwheels says that all you do is cut the 2x4's in half (3-4 ft for each leg), then drill a 1.125 inch hole through the tops. A .75 inch pipe through the holes, with chain, bungi chords, hose, or something like that will easily support plates.

I'm thinking I want to use 2x3's and 1/2" OSB to keep the weight down enough to make it easily moveable but rigid enough to be load bearing. I have 1 bundle of shingles but could probably use at least 1 more. Now that I think about it I could just rip the 2x4's down to 2x3's...

Broker,
2x4's aren't really 2x4. I think they are more like 1.75x3.5. Maybe just rip one in half and it would be pretty squared up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broker,
2x4's aren't really 2x4. I think they are more like 1.75x3.5. Maybe just rip one in half and it would be pretty squared up. </div></div>

I used to be a Carpenter and built houses. A 2x4's actual measurements are 1.5"x3.5" so when ripped in 1/2 ends up being a 1.5"x1.625" become 2x2's. It's also hard on blades ripping down a lot of 2x material. I'd rather buy 2x3's then spend an hour ripping 2x4's and tearing up a blade. 2x2's won't have the load support or rigidity either. 2x4's will just make it heavier in the long run. I'm hoping to make it easy to assemble/breakdown so it can be hauled easily in the back of an SUV. I have the design in my head, but after I frame it up I can decide better on how it's finally assembly will end up and what I want to use for fasteners...

For whatever it is worth, I was watching a Jerry Mikulek video on practical rifle on youtube, and his roof used something like a 1x3 on it.. I don't know if they would be cheaper or not, but at least if you could buy them, the material would be cheaper than using 2x4's and having to trash your good saw blade ripping them. Plus, I always hated trying to rip things with a hand saw. I don't know if you have a table saw or not, but even there, ripping is a pain..

Let me know if I can give you a hand with the building as I do have some extra time, and would be happy to help you out.

hey guys , there is a guy in port Orchard that does Cerakote, I saw some of his work this weekend and it looks pretty good. here is his contact info [email protected]. I think he said $60 for handguns and $100 for rifles (but don't quote me on that)

Hey broker, if I can get them back from the guy I loaned them to I have a couple of steel targets we can use. I have 12 inch, 6 inch and 3 inch circles

Anyone going up to Acme this weekend? I've never been up there before. I am working up a different load and I need to push it out to distance before the FSC match. I'm trying to avoid going over the mountains...

I want to head up to Acme, but I have to save some $$$ for FSC and I have to attend a home inspection on Saturday. If the weather improves I still need to get some load data so I'll be looking to hit up the range for a bit if anyone wants to join me.

Hey Broker,

What do you think of the Eberlestock rifle pack ..... LOL.

Seriously though. I was thinking of heading over to the Poulsbo Shooting Club on eihter Thur or Fri. Just wonder if you are interested in popping off a few rounds? Unknown, you are welcome to join in. I still have some stuff to get back to you.

I can do either day, but Friday looks like it will have better weather.

I'm in the load development mode also, hopefully will have something worked out on Saturday and might be able to get up to Acme on sunday. I've been up there a few times, once shooting with Bigwheels and for one of his matchs and once roaming around with my youngest looking for deer this last season. Does sunday work for anyone else?

I'll have to see how much progress I make getting ready for the company that will be coming by the house Saturday. If l get enough ready, I suppose I could go out on Friday, but i sorta think I'll be around the house getting it ready for relatives to drop by on Saturday.

Thanks for the invite though..

I'd love to join you guys this weekend if you do pull something together, but it's our drill weekend so I can't.

Mutt,
Obviously, I missed Friday's shoot.. I found some map coordinates for a place to shoot on this site by using the search engine.. It is south of Sequim, a wee bit west of Leland. Is there a chance that you might be interested in heading over that way to check it out, and if possible, do some shooting? Broker says there are alot of logging roads around there.

I looked it up on Google earth, and there appear to be roads with the potential of good places to shoot. I had to transpose the coordinates listed on this web site, but I found a different web site that will easily transpose the coordinates to the kind that Google earth uses.

Call me if you think you might want to head out there early next week.

I am thinking of shooting f class at cascade on Sunday. I have never shot there before (not a member) but I'm pretty sure It goes out to 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AD1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking of shooting f class at cascade on Sunday. I have never shot there before (not a member) but I'm pretty sure It goes out to 600 yards. </div></div>

I've never shot f-class before, I don't even think I can shoot f-class because I have a break.......

Breaks are frowned upon. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. it is certainly no more distracting than being pelted with brass from the guy next to you shooting a service rifle.

F class rules prohibit muzzle brakes. Usually, most brakes just come off the rifle though...I have a brake on my 260 Remington, and would just unscrew it for F-class shooting. The 260 doesn't kick much anyhow. On the other hand, my 300 Winchester launches a 190 Sierra matchking very close to 3000 FPS, and it gets difficult to concentrate on not flinching after 20 rounds or so. I really don't want to shoot the 300 much without a brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to work on my truck tomorrow, but might go out sun. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go up to Acme tomorrow. Give me a call if you still have my number, or shoot me a pm if you don't, if you're going too.

Im planning on being up there about 10:30. Just finished up with my truck a while ago. Had to replace a couple seals in the tranny and transfer case. Dam thing was heavy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AD1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breaks are frowned upon. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. it is certainly no more distracting than being pelted with brass from the guy next to you shooting a service rifle. </div></div>

Oh jeez, looks like I'll have to buy a silencer then..... hehe

Saw this post in the equipment section. Thought Broker and the others that are trying to set up a local range area might find these mounts interesting. This is something I wouldn't mind packing in too much.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3260863&gonew=1#UNREAD

When someone next to you at the range whines about your muzzle brake, hand them a tampon and tell them to go shoot somewhere else ...... LOL.

I guess I'm just a crab ass today. But, I never understood people complaining about how loud a gun is????? It's a gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'm just a crab ass today. But, I never understood people complaining about how loud a gun is????? It's a gun. </div></div>

Haha, no shit huh! I can see it now, Someone shows up to the range or wherever with his rifle and and some jackass comes over and says(with the same voice as todd from christmas vacation) "Oh my god margo, that guy is about to shoot <span style="font-size: 17pt">UN</span>suppressed!!!" just give it a few years.....

A range I used to frequent had certain benches for people with muzzle brakes. Even when I used those benches some old timers would bitch. I would point out that I am in compliance with the rules, and am shooting at the designated benches. Then I would laugh and agree, "Yeah, it is damned loud. I'm sure glad I'm behind it and not off to the side of it, 'cause that is how they work!"

I'm looking to trade a 20 round DPMS style mag for a 10 rounder if anyone's interested...

Unfortunately, I don't have any DPMS style mags...but I'll trade you a federal reserve style $10 bill for a $20 bill if your interested
laugh.gif

K9-

I had a weird thing happen this weekend. I was using Google earth on my ipad to show a friend the clearing that I go shooting in. Well as i find the clearing I see their is a camper in there, Wow they set up in the exact spot we like too and Holy S&*^ it was us from a year ago

Most of the google earth stuff is fairly old. It would be nice to find a "real time" place like that, but I suspect only the military gets that.

I used to look at my house in Milwaukie, Oregon, and even in winter the photos were done when the trees with leaves were full of leaves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the google earth stuff is fairly old. It would be nice to find a "real time" place like that, but I suspect only the military gets that.

I used to look at my house in Milwaukie, Oregon, and even in winter the photos were done when the trees with leaves were full of leaves.</div></div>

Doubt we would ever see real time. Too much of a security risk.. though it would be cool.

It took like 3 years to get Google maps to put a photo & roads to my house. Use see to be farmland.

Yesterday, I went to pick up my shovel and rake that was behind my garage. I felt a sharp extreme pain on the back of my neck. Somehow a hornet got into the collar of me shirt. Stung me 4 times on the neck ..... one of which got my directly on my jugular. Never been allergic to bees before. But, when I went into the bathroom to look at my neck, it was swelled up and looked like a had one of thoughs airplane neck pillows around my neck. When my toung started to tingle felt thick in the back and I started to get really dizzy with tunnel vision, I got a little nervous and called 911. Long story short, by the time the ambulance got me to the ER I was shaking uncontrolably and all the muscles in my upper torso, back, arms etc were tightening and cramping. My arms were completely numb (like the went to sleep) Well, needless to say, my day was getting really shitty really quickly. After several hours in the ER and a ton or IV meds later I'm good to go. Well .... pretty much. My neck still hurts like hell and I got some wicked hurtburn to beat all and I am still a little shaky. But feeling much better today. I now get to carry epipens everywhere I go (well at least in the glove box's of the vehicles and the camper and in my range bag).

How was your day ...... LOL.

By the way .....about google earth. Over the last 6 years, I looked up everywhere I've been in Iraq and the buidlings are there and all that. But, no people no HMMV's no tanks no blackhawks. There are places I've been ... that I know are still there that don't show up on google earth at all. Funny thing is, all the tire tracks in the sand around those areas are still there ..... LOL. I bet they are at least one year out. It would take hundreds of people months to steralize everthing that needs taken out. Like special ops troops landing in Pakistan and other stuff like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterday, I went to pick up my shovel and rake that was behind my garage. I felt a sharp extreme pain on the back of my neck. Somehow a hornet got into the collar of me shirt. Stung me 4 times on the neck ..... one of which got my directly on my jugular. Never been allergic to bees before. But, when I went into the bathroom to look at my neck, it was swelled up and looked like a had one of thoughs airplane neck pillows around my neck. When my toung started to tingle felt thick in the back and I started to get really dizzy with tunnel vision, I got a little nervous and called 911. Long story short, by the time the ambulance got me to the ER I was shaking uncontrolably and all the muscles in my upper torso, back, arms etc were tightening and cramping. My arms were completely numb (like the went to sleep) Well, needless to say, my day was getting really shitty really quickly. After several hours in the ER and a ton or IV meds later I'm good to go. Well .... pretty much. My neck still hurts like hell and I got some wicked hurtburn to beat all and I am still a little shaky. But feeling much better today. I now get to carry epipens everywhere I go (well at least in the glove box's of the vehicles and the camper and in my range bag).

How was your day ...... LOL.

By the way .....about google earth. Over the last 6 years, I looked up everywhere I've been in Iraq and the buidlings are there and all that. But, no people no HMMV's no tanks no blackhawks. There are places I've been ... that I know are still there that don't show up on google earth at all. Funny thing is, all the tire tracks in the sand around those areas are still there ..... LOL. I bet they are at least one year out. It would take hundreds of people months to steralize everthing that needs taken out. Like special ops troops landing in Pakistan and other stuff like that. </div></div>

Holy shit Muttt... lol... Glad your ok man...

FYI everyone...

A spot opened up for the FSC 2012 match this weekend. I believe it $75 and you need to contact Scott ASAP if interested. It's both Saturday & Sunday in Ellensburg...

Mutt,
I'm really glad you came out of it OK. When I was young and stupid, I thought it would be fun to hit a basketball sized hornet's nest with a baseball bat. It didn't work out as I originally imagined, and I got one sting right on the eyelid about a sixteenth of an inch from the edge. My whole face swelled up, and I had to get the shots at the hospital, so I know it is no fun.

Usually an idea as stupid as mine starts out with something like "Here, hold my beer, and watch this!", but I was just a dumb kid. I'm lots smarter now.

My former father in law disposed of a huge hornet's nest by holding a plastic garbage bag under it at night while another neighbor cut the branch holding up the nest. I asked them what they did with it, and they said they threw it in the garbage. I'll bet the garbage crew got a hell of a nasty surprise the second or third time they opened the crusher after the next got tossed in there... I thought throwing it in the garbage was kinda cruel to the garbage crew. I woulda burned it. Really hot fire, then toss it in....

LOL ..... that's so funny. I bet burning it would have let an opening in the bag and they would have flown out.

My neck still hurts like hell and my neck and shoulder are stiff. I've had the shakes all day. At least it over with. Never want to do that again. I did find a bunch of them in the greenhouse. I very carefully emptied a large can of spray onto them. We'll see what's left of them tomorrow. I'm out for blood now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathenRifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mutt, .....GODDAMN!!!!!!........ that is all.

That match in ellensburg looks pretty awesome! Anybody going? </div></div>

I'm going provided they don't uninvite me before I get there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL ..... that's so funny. I bet burning it would have let an opening in the bag and they would have flown out.

My neck still hurts like hell and my neck and shoulder are stiff. I've had the shakes all day. At least it over with. Never want to do that again. I did find a bunch of them in the greenhouse. I very carefully emptied a large can of spray onto them. We'll see what's left of them tomorrow. I'm out for blood now. </div></div>

If you shoot the match this weekend you ought to get extra points for having the shakes. That must be a real bitch trying to stay on target! Glad you're getting better.

After my experience with hornets, and one where some spider bit me three times in the "taint" when I stayed at a hotel in Canada, I now have a very personal hatred of both types if bugs.

The spider bite problem area was the size of a silver dollar. You could clearly see all six fang puncture marks. It got necrotic, infected, and was a damned nasty place to have all that going on. Showing it to the doctor got a kinda "OH, SHIT, I'll BET THAT HURTS LIKE HELL!" from a generally professional doctor. I had to do shots, antibiotics, pain pills for a couple of weeks, and sitting was obviously a true pain in the ass.

My wife got bitten twice on her forearm the same night. Hers swelled up, and itched like hell, but didn't turn as problematic as mine did. You could clearly see four fang puncture marks in her forearm too. And it was at what we thought was a high end hotel...

I used to have a "live and let live" for spiders, but now the war is on baby. And that was about 10 years ago, but something like that isn't quickly forgotten. As the Spartacus series says: "Kill them all!"

Rant over