• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Mutt,
Hope you are still mending up. I'm heading down to the portland gun show, but if you feel like going shooting next week, get in touch with me.

Morning all, well three days till I take off to go hide in the woods and do nothing but plink and relax for 4 days

I got my ass handed to me at the match this weekend... Luckily Market Garden with his Wife and Father were there so I at least knew a couple people...

I am now the proud owner of 4 steel targets. I am looking forward to throwing some lead at them if anyone wants to join me... Broker, did you happen to see how bigwheels had his steel hanging?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AD1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now the proud owner of 4 steel targets. I am looking forward to throwing some lead at them if anyone wants to join me... Broker, did you happen to see how bigwheels had his steel hanging? </div></div>

I did. He uses 2x4's with a bar through the top. I also have a rebar bender and cutter, so I can make some hangars for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kitsap Rifle and revolver got a stay of execution, they are open </div></div>

That is great news.

I think Bigwheels cuts two 8 foot 2x4's in half, then drills a 1.125 hole through the tops. Then run a piece of .75 inch pipe through the holes, and spread the 2x4 legs out to form an A-frame on each side. Hang the targets from that.

I have heard of people hanging steel from bungi chords, chain, pieces of fire hose, garden hose or just about anything that can take a few hits. Try to avoid hanging the targets from something that will shear off with one bullet (like a metal cable or wire).

I use fire hose now. Will take a lot of punishment, & hang in there.

Thanks for the info, I do have some extra 2x4's in the garage.

I live down in Olympia Wa. The farthest I have gone in this area is 400 meters up in capital forest clear cut. I would love to find some places to tag steel 500-1000. I have skimmed through few pages on this thread and did not see a for sure place. Has anyone investigated the shelton-matlock areas that 7mm was talking about?

Dont know anything about f class matches, but just to kick back with few good folks and shoot some steel would be super nice. Im ex Army sniper who needs to shake of the rust lol! All I got right now is a Savage 10 in choate tactical stock with 10x SS glass. Just a budget rig, but it prints 1/2-3/4 moa if I do my part with 175 gr. match.

I do have 5/8 steel pepper poppers that I can supply. Brings drinks and whatnot. feel free to pm me as well, just looking to shoot somewhere close
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live down in Olympia Wa. The farthest I have gone in this area is 400 meters up in capital forest clear cut. I would love to find some places to tag steel 500-1000. I have skimmed through few pages on this thread and did not see a for sure place. Has anyone investigated the shelton-matlock areas that 7mm was talking about?

Dont know anything about f class matches, but just to kick back with few good folks and shoot some steel would be super nice. Im ex Army sniper who needs to shake of the rust lol! All I got right now is a Savage 10 in choate tactical stock with 10x SS glass. Just a budget rig, but it prints 1/2-3/4 moa if I do my part with 175 gr. match.

I do have 5/8 steel pepper poppers that I can supply. Brings drinks and whatnot. feel free to pm me as well, just looking to shoot somewhere close
smile.gif
</div></div>

I've been doing some searching in those areas and found a few places but the access is limited. We're still working on it though...

There's a Training Course now being offered locally that some of you may or may not be interested in...

So... We're rolling into nicer weather. I definitely want to do another get together soon. If anyone has any recommendations on a local place south of Seattle this time where we can get out to 800 or so with relatively decent parking, etc please post up. Either way is there a date in the near future that works for most of us?

I'm free pretty much any weekend.

How about May 12th with location to be determined?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zx2man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live down in Olympia Wa. The farthest I have gone in this area is 400 meters up in capital forest clear cut. I would love to find some places to tag steel 500-1000. I have skimmed through few pages on this thread and did not see a for sure place. Has anyone investigated the shelton-matlock areas that 7mm was talking about?

smile.gif
</div></div>

Welcome! Sounds like you could show me a few things with your experience.

I'm due for a shoot with you guys, but I'm going to be out of town most of May. When I get back, we gotta find some place out in Capitol Forest or Shelton area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about May 12th with location to be determined?</div></div>

Ok, so that's the only weekend that doesn't actually work for me.
smile.gif
Don't let that hold anything back though, if that works for everyone then go for it. I'll be shooting that weekend anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about May 12th with location to be determined?</div></div>

Ok, so that's the only weekend that doesn't actually work for me.
smile.gif
Don't let that hold anything back though, if that works for everyone then go for it. I'll be shooting that weekend anyways. </div></div>

You're killing me Craig... how about the 19th then?

I finally got my steel!
three 6 inch squares
two 5.5x8.75 inch rectangles
two 8 inch circles

Broker says he has some rebar we can use to make up some stands. A local fire dept says they will have some discarded hose after they get in this years new stuff. Should be in a month or so.

All I need is a place to hang the steel so we can shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got my steel!
three 6 inch squares
two 5.5x8.75 inch rectangles
two 8 inch circles

Broker says he has some rebar we can use to make up some stands. A local fire dept says they will have some discarded hose after they get in this years new stuff. Should be in a month or so.

All I need is a place to hang the steel so we can shoot it. </div></div>

Yeah, about the rebar, lol... I need to go buy some thicker stuff. I was looking at what I have and it won't be strong enough. I'll go to the store though and pick some up this week...

I met up with Joe1st/75th for a little shooting today. He couldn't stay long, but after some clays @ 1250 I threw a few @ 1950. The target area needs a little work but after a few rnds I got in the area, but couldn't connect with the few rnds I had left. My Lyman 1200 is giving me fits, & the new scale I ordered isn't here yet, so I don't have a working scale. I'll see about getting up there soon , & do some weed whacking around the target, & it should be ready for some real elr shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't do Saturdays to meet up. </div></div>

You and Craig are both fired...

Let's try May 20th, 2012... Sunday... And Ryo will bring cans for everyone to fondle? Even if we meet in Acme again I can bring a rooftop and box, and we have more steel to shoot at this time.

I have some once fired 7.62x51 brass. It is mixed LC match (various years), TW, and some Federal. I have tumbled it all to clean it up as it was stored for years before I got it. Some of the LCmatch is from 67-72. If there is anyone local who needs some practice cases, let me know. Free to a good home. I just don't want to end up paying to give it away. If no one is interested, I'll just put it in the bucket that holds old cases for the recycling station.

I'd be interested in the brass since I don't have much 308 brass..

Hey Bigwheels,It was nice shooting with you and I'm glad you got to throw some lead at the 1950. I am looking forward to getting out there and taking a whack at it too.
I think after a little investigation that I may be actually pushing the 300 grn Bergers at 2950 instead of 2900 like I thought. So that explains some things for me about my drop chart. Thanks for all of the help.
Joe

Hey bigs, was that the same 2K yard place we were shooting the last time I was up there??? Thats a nice spot!!!

Any time Joe. I'm going to try to get up there this week to clear up the target area. My new scale should be here tomorrow so I can get some ammo loaded too. Maybe next week a few of us with elr rigs can have a go at 1950.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't do Saturdays to meet up. </div></div>

You and Craig are both fired...

Let's try May 20th, 2012... Sunday... And Ryo will bring cans for everyone to fondle? Even if we meet in Acme again I can bring a rooftop and box, and we have more steel to shoot at this time.</div></div>

That works for me.

I need to get a couple of thread adapters for my suppressor. I know Yankee hill makes some, but wondered if anyone around here has them in stock.

I need a 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 and a 9/16x24 to 1/2x28. If anyone knows where to find adapters in the Puget sound area, please let me know.

Just a FYI if you didn't know.
The WDFW Big Game regs are out now. I just finished a scathing e mail to the directer about the cost increases for this year. What used to cost me about $120-$140.00 a few years ago this year is going to cost me almost $300.00!!!
Last year was the first time in my life that my friends, & I started considering a hunt out of state. The cost wouldn't be that much greater any more.

Now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hey guys, what shops do you guys go to for tactical/long range type stuff south of seattle? Also, do you mind if i come out for a shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dannyryan007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, what shops do you guys go to for tactical/long range type stuff south of seattle? Also, do you mind if i come out for a shoot? </div></div>

You can definitely join up with us any time
grin.gif

As far as shops south of Seattle and tactical I like Rainier Arms in Auburn, Quantico Supply in Lakewood, Ammo Surplus in Lakewood, and Tactical Tailor in Lakewood.

Hey Unknown, any word from UNSC regarding the match you were wanting to start?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dannyryan007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been to the 3 in lakewood. i'll have to check out ranier. Thanks!
</div></div>

Take a look at their online store before you go...
http://www.rainierarms.com/

AD1,

I am going to the board meeting at UNSC this coming Monday, May 7th to show them some targets, and answer questions that they may have. Usually, I can't attend the meetings there as they are in the evenings, but our daughter will be here this time, so I can go out there and talk with the board.

Hopefully, it will be fruitful. I would be sorely disappointed if they asked me to come out just so they could say "Nah, we aren't interested". That would be a colossal waste of time...so I'm hoping they are looking at the project favorably.

I'll post info as soon as I know anything. I am trying to be patient with the delays, and hope that it is simply because they are being cautious about a new discipline. I got a date to have a match, only to have it changed...it took another 5 weeks to wait for another suggested date, and when I said "Sure, I'll take it, but will need time for the orientation too", it got put on hold again.

I don't deal well with delays, as I'm the kind of person who sets out to do something, and simply gets it done. But it is their club, so I have to put up with the delays. I don't fault them for being cautious, but getting timely emails, or phone calls would sure be nice....

More to follow as info becomes available.

Thanks for the update and also for taking this project on. The match sounds like fun;hopefully the meeting will be productive.

If anyone is interested in mounting up plates, today I found that the Wilco feed store has light weight 5 foot T posts on sale for $3.49 each. I bought some plates from JCVibby (JCsteeltargets), and found that by using the half inch bolts, and enlarging the holes in steel flat plate that I got at Wilco ($7.89 or so for 3 feet) I could bend the steel so it pinches the steel plate onto the top of the T post...really cheap way to hold up the steel plates. Eventually, I'll probably spring for one of the T post setting units that are just under $30.

That setup easily holds all the plates I have. The biggest plate I have is 8 inch, but I'm certain that this setup would easily hold up the 12 inch plates. For one of the really big IPSC size targets, I am not sure if the pinch method would be sturdy enough to keep the plates on after they take a bunch of rounds.

Vibby's prices are the best I have found for steel A500 armor plates so far.

I just finished up a prop roof that can turn into an 8' barricade. It folds and can easily fit into a car/truck/suv with room to spare. I'll post pics and be bringing it with me on the 20th.

Very cool, look forward to seeing your hard work.

For anyone near or around the Olympia area, Stokes Auction is liquidating "Big Toys" today at 11am. There are all kinds of work benches, materials, and heavy duty shop equipment up for grabs.