• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Peninsula Premier Pro Shop just got in Varget, H1000, H414, and Benchmark. It's gonna go fast...
Right on Nick... I'll try to hit you guys up tomorrow after work. For now, I'm just looking for 2# of varget for load development on a future build. What days are you there?

Are you working at PPPS Nick?

Nope... I'm helping the owner find better venders so he can get better pricing, and I've been helping him get in contact with companies like Vortex so he can be a direct dealer and offer more of what people are looking for. He'll be one of the few places that will have certain items people like us are looking for that you would usually have to go outside of Kitsap or Mason County to find. It won't happen overnight but it will happen. Some companies he's already bringing into the store direct... Vortex, Mega Arms, Centurion, Seekins Precision, Harris Engineering, Berger, Timney, Trijicon, and hopefully more to continue.

I'm tired of crappy gun shops who don't have a clue and don't care about customers. I'd rather spend my time helping a guy out who actually listens. My whole goal originally was to open my own shop but seeing as life dealt me a different hand at the moment I can at least help another with what I already know and do something productive that keeps me in the industry. I don't expect a lot of people to understand but it's simply goodwill.

Nope... I'm helping the owner find better venders so he can get better pricing, and I've been helping him get in contact with companies like Vortex so he can be a direct dealer and offer more of what people are looking for. He'll be one of the few places that will have certain items people like us are looking for that you would usually have to go outside of Kitsap or Mason County to find. It won't happen overnight but it will happen. Some companies he's already bringing into the store direct... Vortex, Mega Arms, Centurion, Seekins Precision, Harris Engineering, Berger, Timney, Trijicon, and hopefully more to continue.

I'm tired of crappy gun shops who don't have a clue and don't care about customers. I'd rather spend my time helping a guy out who actually listens. My whole goal originally was to open my own shop but seeing as life dealt me a different hand at the moment I can at least help another with what I already know and do something productive that keeps me in the industry. I don't expect a lot of people to understand but it's simply goodwill.

I understand. I have been their and met the owner, nice guy. Im just not tracking when you say "crappy gun shops who don't have a clue" I will give it to PPPS they have a wide selection of bows, etc. but where does quantity over reach actual product knowledge (not the ability to SELL a product, thus keeping it "not crappy") ?

I think for our shooting community to grow we need to be sure we are truly understanding our customers/friends/shooters questions and not just push a product because it "fits" in their budget at the time or "Uncle Bob held dead center on this deer and heart shot it at 700y with his 308, buy this one..." I think you know what I am saying.

Quality over Quantity win every day of the week, in my eyes.

Hey all you PNW guys, I'm still trying to work a swap out, looking fo ra sweet 92FS and I have a S&W Model 29, blue, 6" BBL, and a Virginia Dragoon, looking to trade for a sweet 92FS. Throw in $250 and a 92FS and I throw in the Model 29, speed loaders, some ammo....
Or straight across for the Virgina Dragoon, sweet cowboy belt/holster and some ammo........

I understand. I have been their and met the owner, nice guy. Im just not tracking when you say "crappy gun shops who don't have a clue" I will give it to PPPS they have a wide selection of bows, etc. but where does quantity over reach actual product knowledge (not the ability to SELL a product, thus keeping it "not crappy") ?

I think for our shooting community to grow we need to be sure we are truly understanding our customers/friends/shooters questions and not just push a product because it "fits" in their budget at the time or "Uncle Bob held dead center on this deer and heart shot it at 700y with his 308, buy this one..." I think you know what I am saying.

Quality over Quantity win every day of the week, in my eyes.

That whole statement is mixed. I don't know if your agreeing or disagreeing with me. Do you really consider DGS, Boehners, or Sportsmans to be good gun stores? And Have you ever known me to push a product based upon crap like "my friend uncles cousins twice removed brother in-law" or any other "this one time at band camp" reasoning? I realize I'm not around "the scene" much anymore and people seem to think I've done nothing for shooting community, but maybe you should go back and look who helped Alan get the word out about UNSC to get it going. Tell me again Reed who was it you first met with in this group that was all to willing to meet-up with you, introduce you to others, and welcome you into the community? What's even more amazing is the number of people lately that were all to eager to hang out with me and go shooting when I was in better circumstances and yet when I'm in the less fortunate they seem to be vapor trails now.

Back to the Pro Shop. He's was stuck with a lot of over-priced stock thanks to distributors not being realistic with market values that I'm trying to help him clear out in order to get better quality and quantity at reasonable prices which is what so many here are more concerned with. I'm trying to get him a better selection of QUALITY products . Why is it we're all to willing to shop at the Corporate stores because they're cheaper even though the CS sucks and they never carry 1/2 of what we're looking for but we won't support a small shop which wants to carry more of what we're looking for but can't compete with the Wal*marts of the world? And frankly... neither you or just about anyone else here has any right to question me or my honesty when I've gone above and beyond to help you guys when stuff was hard to find and I never asked for anything in return and like my helping the Pro Shop... I did it for FREE with ZERO expectations other than the presumption I was helping friends. Maybe I need to reconsider who is becoming more of an acquaintance and less of a friend...

That whole statement is mixed. I don't know if your agreeing or disagreeing with me. Do you really consider DGS, Boehners, or Sportsmans to be good gun stores? And Have you ever known me to push a product based upon crap like "my friend uncles cousins twice removed brother in-law" or any other "this one time at band camp" reasoning? I realize I'm not around "the scene" much anymore and people seem to think I've done nothing for shooting community, but maybe you should go back and look who helped Alan get the word out about UNSC to get it going. Tell me again Reed who was it you first met with in this group that was all to willing to meet-up with you, introduce you to others, and welcome you into the community? What's even more amazing is the number of people lately that were all to eager to hang out with me and go shooting when I was in better circumstances and yet when I'm in the less fortunate they seem to be vapor trails now.

Back to the Pro Shop. He's was stuck with a lot of over-priced stock thanks to distributors not being realistic with market values that I'm trying to help him clear out in order to get better quality and quantity at reasonable prices which is what so many here are more concerned with. I'm trying to get him a better selection of QUALITY products . Why is it we're all to willing to shop at the Corporate stores because they're cheaper even though the CS sucks and they never carry 1/2 of what we're looking for but we won't support a small shop which wants to carry more of what we're looking for but can't compete with the Wal*marts of the world? And frankly... neither you or just about anyone else here has any right to question me or my honesty when I've gone above and beyond to help you guys when stuff was hard to find and I never asked for anything in return and like my helping the Pro Shop... I did it for FREE with ZERO expectations other than the presumption I was helping friends. Maybe I need to reconsider who is becoming more of an acquaintance and less of a friend...

Ok.

I'm still trying to figure out which shops are worth driving to. It seems that all the shops, large or small, are at least 40 minutes away. So, when deciding if it is worth the drive, I DO look for recommendations from people like Nick, BGE541, Kevin, and all the other people I know.

Pricing for various items (that are the same) varies wildly, and I imagine that it is a combination of supply and demand, and the ability of the shop owner to re-acquire replacement items (just another side of supply/demand). Lately, I have been in the position of having to grab what I can, when I can find it. Most of the items I am looking for just don't seem to be generally available locally, so I have to order online.

I have been lucky though, as many times people on this board have come through for me with powder, bullets, tube forends, and other parts or components I need.

I haven't been lucky enough to find a "favorite" shop yet, lately I'm content if anyone has what I need...

my take on the pro shop is this. my buddy was in need of some powder a few months ago, he called the day before to make sure the guy was going to be open, we went to show up and no answer on the phone waited around for a half hour and still no go, 1hr round trip wasted time. my buddy went back the next day and reported that powder was pretty overpriced, in the $40/per pound range and 22lr value pack walmart style was $125 bux for the federal 550rnd pack. like i said this was about 3-4 months ago.

Personally for all my needs, whether its powder, primers scopes etc. i have always found what i needed online and at the best price. driving distances to shops and paying sales tax is more expensive than just paying a small shipping charge. save yourself buy powder in bulk from places like powder valley etc, use the %20 off coupon codes for places like midway etc. those the are the best prices and avaliability. very very rarely hav i needed something small, then ill hit up sportco or welchers in tacoma.

i dont get why some of you think you need to buy these things locally? online you can get exactly what you want and for better prices.

my take on the pro shop is this. my buddy was in need of some powder a few months ago, he called the day before to make sure the guy was going to be open, we went to show up and no answer on the phone waited around for a half hour and still no go, 1hr round trip wasted time. my buddy went back the next day and reported that powder was pretty overpriced, in the $40/per pound range and 22lr value pack walmart style was $125 bux for the federal 550rnd pack. like i said this was about 3-4 months ago.

Personally for all my needs, whether its powder, primers scopes etc. i have always found what i needed online and at the best price. driving distances to shops and paying sales tax is more expensive than just paying a small shipping charge. save yourself buy powder in bulk from places like powder valley etc, use the %20 off coupon codes for places like midway etc. those the are the best prices and avaliability. very very rarely hav i needed something small, then ill hit up sportco or welchers in tacoma.

i dont get why some of you think you need to buy these things locally? online you can get exactly what you want and for better prices.

I sent you a pm...

Anyone want to go shooting today? You have til 10AM PST to PM I will even pick you up in Silverdale/Bremerton area...

FREE CANDY !!!!!!

Anyone want to go shooting today? You have til 10AM PST to PM I will even pick you up in Silverdale/Bremerton area...

FREE CANDY !!!!!!

I can't today. But I do have the 19th and 20th off if get either of those days off!

As for the ppss....nice guy. Didn't care for the prices on the powder at all though. Plus the gun room is way to small :( with just me and another guy it was crowded. Then having Charles behind the counter he just felt....on top of you. But I'm weird. I like my space and browsing by myself. But I'm also the type to go shopping right when the store opens or late at night to avoid crowds

Last edited:
As for the ppss....nice guy. Didn't care for the prices on the powder at all though. Plus the gun room is way to small :( with just me and another guy it was crowded. Then having Charles behind the counter he just felt....on top of you. But I'm weird. I like my space and browsing by myself. But I'm also the type to go shopping right when the store opens or late at night to avoid crowds

He's working on it and I agree. He just started this 8 months ago and if he can get it going he plans on moving it into a larger shop. Keep in mind he's always been an archery shop and this is all new to him. The powder distributor he was using told him he could only get 4lb's per hazmat fee which we all know is not correct but he didn't. The same distributor was selling him things with almost no margin and he thought the MSRP he was being quoted by them was correct but it in fact wasn't. I'm helping him find better distributors now and hopefully better margins so he can compete, but that unfortunately means taking a loss on some product that he was oversold on. If anyone has recommendations for powder distributors we're all ears. Powder Valley isn't taking any new dealers so he's stuck with who he has right now.

Hey guys!

I'll offer it here first to the local guys for a day or so

I have a gift cert for one free action from defiance. Any action and whatever specs/options you want. Can be a medium, long, or Xl action, no exclusions

Would sell for $1000, and if your in the market for the best action available, you can save $300-$400

Hey guys!

I have a gift cert for one free action from defiance. Any action and whatever specs/options you want. Can be a medium, long, or Xl action, no exclusions

Would sell for $1000, and if your in the market for the best action available, you can save $300-$400

I hate you right now Jake... :p

Wish I could, heck of a deal! New optics set me back for a little while. I'll go for it if you still have it for sale in a couple months if no one bites

I am wondering if anyone in the seattle area has any empty 8 pound hogdon powder containers? Strange, I know. I built a book shelf for all my loading supplies, and I have a limited amount of room to load. With all the crazy limited supply of powder, I have over flowed my powder shelf with one pounders. So, I'd like to see if I could reuse some of those 8 pound powder containers. PM me if you have some, thanks, J

I can't today. But I do have the 19th and 20th off if get either of those days off!

I have the 20th off so if that works then cool.

Hey guys!

I used the Defiance Defender action for a build because it would feed from either the AI/AW, or AI/AE magazines. I have used both types of magazines in the rifle, and it really does feed from either one. They are great actions.

Hey guys!

Man if this came about in another month I'd jump all over it. Seems like whenever the "6 month bills" (car insurance type stuff) come due is when all the good deals are lol.

I have the 20th off so if that works then cool.

IPL keep the date open and talk to ya more about it when its closer. Picked up one of the jc steel 66% ipsc hostage target so be fun to test it out!

I am wondering if anyone in the seattle area has any empty 8 pound hogdon powder containers? Strange, I know. I built a book shelf for all my loading supplies, and I have a limited amount of room to load. With all the crazy limited supply of powder, I have over flowed my powder shelf with one pounders. So, I'd like to see if I could reuse some of those 8 pound powder containers. PM me if you have some, thanks, J

Its not a strange question but its strange I have a couple for you...I guess this is why I keep crap like this lol.
If you ever get back to UNSC shooting let me know and I'll bring a couple with me.
Good to see you posting, thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth.

Hey all!, I will be coming up to live near South Lake Union Area come this fall, and was wondering what the range options are around that area in decently drivable distance. I'd like to be able to shoot around 600+ if possible. I am pretty new to shooting but am pretty excited, and would like to get into reloading this summer/fall, but not sure if i'll have the space to do it in a 1br apartment. Anyone have experience with that?

Hope to meet up with you all this fall!

Taylor

I am pretty new to shooting but am pretty excited, and would like to get into reloading this summer/fall, but not sure if i'll have the space to do it in a 1br apartment. Anyone have experience with that?

Hope to meet up with you all this fall!

Taylor

Taylor, welcome. Reloading in an apartment? yes, I live in an apartment. I use a plastic chest of drawers for tooling storage in the corner of the dining area beside my table. Hall closet for the rest of my reloading stuff. I just use a c-clamp to attach my RCBS press to my dining table and the same for my case trimmer. A small craftsman vise to hold my powder measure. Make due with what you got. Makes it a little hard, but it works. Due to noise and not pissing off my neighbors, I run the Lyman ultra-sonic case cleaner vs a noisy tumbler. Works better anyways.

Brian

I have a swfa 5-20 that I'm trying to sell in the optics section if some one local buys it I'll give them a sweet deal.

One of these times..... I work the 20th. It would be cool to meet up and do a little shooting.

Brian

I'm up for shooting on the weekends pretty much anytime. Though Sunday's are usually safer at the moment (end of project till end of June so Saturday's are being worked)

Unless you only want to shoot with bge lol

I have a swfa 5-20 that I'm trying to sell in the optics section if some one local buys it I'll give them a sweet deal.

How much :)

Hey guys!

There was a bolt face exclusion on that certificate. 223, and 308 bolt face only right?

I'm up for shooting on the weekends pretty much anytime. Though Sunday's are usually safer at the moment (end of project till end of June so Saturday's are being worked)

Unless you only want to shoot with bge lol

:)
I don't know too many shooting locations yet. I'm trying to get out to UNSC for the matchs, working on a 260 to shoot there. Do you have a good place to get out lrs?

Hey everyone I am working on a small batch (100) of 6mm Ackley improved cases made out of 7x57 Norma brass and will be needing to get them annealed. Does anyone do this or know of someone in the Tacoma area? Dont mind driving a ways either.
Thanks folks
Matt

Hey everyone I am working on a small batch (100) of 6mm Ackley improved cases made out of 7x57 Norma brass and will be needing to get them annealed. Does anyone do this or know of someone in the Tacoma area? Dont mind driving a ways either.
Thanks folks
Matt

You should try doing it yourself - it's incredibly easy to do. Quick summary of my routine:

Start up torch (I use a cheap $10 torch that I can lock-ON with MAP gas - it's faster/hotter than butane)
Dim lights (Nothing romantic, just want to be able to see the necks of the case start to change color as they're heated - looking for a deep-red/maroon color NOT cherry red!)
Put case in cordless drill (I use a socket bit sized to allow just the shoulder/neck to protrude the end)
Start turning the drill/case and put the case neck into the flame and watch it. Don't be too aggressive i.e. burying the neck right into the hottest part of the flame will heat it up REALLY fast,... just ease it in and watch; you'll get a feel for it. As it's turning, the neck will go black then start to turn that deep-red/maroon we're looking for. Once the neck is uniformly deep-red/maroon, pull it from the flame and toss it into a pan, with or without water, to let it cool. DONE! On to the next one.

I can go through about 50 cases in like 10-15 minutes,... Again, it's too easy.

Ry

Last edited:
Just a heads up for everyone out shooting over in the Olympics... Bring plenty of DEET. The ticks are in full force...

You should try doing it yourself - it's incredibly easy to do. Quick summary of my routine:

Start up torch (I use a cheap $10 torch that I can lock-ON with MAP gas - it's faster/hotter than butane)
Dim lights (Nothing romantic, just want to be able to see the necks of the case start to change color as they're heated - looking for a deep-red/maroon color NOT cherry red!)
Put case in cordless drill (I use a socket bit sized to allow just the shoulder/neck to protrude the end)
Start turning the drill/case and put the case neck into the flame and watch it. Don't be too aggressive i.e. burying the neck right into the hottest part of the flame will heat it up REALLY fast,... just ease it in and watch; you'll get a feel for it. As it's turning, the neck will go black then start to turn that deep-red/maroon we're looking for. Once the neck is uniformly deep-red/maroon, pull it from the flame and toss it into a pan, with or without water, to let it cool. DONE! On to the next one.

I can go through about 50 cases in like 10-15 minutes,... Again, it's too easy.

Ry
Blurry is right, do it yourself! Like he said, Be careful. Too hot and you can damage the brass. Ebay, Midwayusa and Brownells all sell Templaq temp paint. You need the 750 degree. Just paint on the inside of a case neck, let dry a few min. Torch as normal and when the paint melts and disappears, its at the specified temp. Time the painted case in seconds and repeat time for the rest. You just need to paint the first case to time it. The cases should have a slight discoloration in bright light just before it hits 750. Its easy, you get the feel for it pretty quick. A small bottle of paint will last for years.

Brian

Last edited:
There used to be a fellow on the hide who would anneal brass for a price that was pretty reasonable. I don't remember much about it other than the price was so reasonable I considered sending him my brass, rather than doing it myself. I use the same method that most guys not rich enough to buy a Giraud unit do...torch.

I like working the brass in a dark room so I can more easily see the color change on the brass. Tempilaq works great, but if you know the color you need, that works well to as long as you have a consistent way to judge color. If you work brass in bright light one time, and in the dark the next, you will get different results. Whatever you do, don't wait for the brass to turn bright red..I did that when I was practicing, and the brass got so soft that there wasn't enough spring back to even hold a bullet.

I have never used tempilaq, I just look for the first dull red color to appear in a dark room. That has worked out well for me. You have to rotate the brass though...trying to heat it from only one side gives uneven results.

Want to thank Blurry, 88blazer and unknown for the help with my question about annealing brass. Pretty damn easy.
Thanks guys!
Matt

Glad it helped... I might be going overkill annealing my brass, but I anneal every loading with my 338 RUM and past
Benchrest brass. I do have a tight chamber and I have loaded my brass now 10 times. I have pulled 11 out of 100 due to signs of case/head separation. Annealing has saved my necks from splitting. Not a single one. I do full length size and my necks are turned, so some neck thickness was lost. Maybe it is more work than necessary, but it gives me constant neck tension load after load every time. And only annealing 25 to 30 at a time only takes me 10min. Now, high volume loading, I'd only anneal every 3 to 5 loading's. But I'm also an accuracy nut, or as some call it "benchrest voodoo".

Glad it helped... I might be going overkill annealing my brass, but I anneal every loading with my 338 RUM and past
Benchrest brass. I do have a tight chamber and I have loaded my brass now 10 times. I have pulled 11 out of 100 due to signs of case/head separation. Annealing has saved my necks from splitting. Not a single one. I do full length size and my necks are turned, so some neck thickness was lost. Maybe it is more work than necessary, but it gives me constant neck tension load after load every time. And only annealing 25 to 30 at a time only takes me 10min. Now, high volume loading, I'd only anneal every 3 to 5 loading's. But I'm also an accuracy nut, or as some call it "benchrest voodoo".

We need to meet up.
Coming from rimfire benchrest shooting. Just picked up a 6mm ackley improved built by Kostanich.
Took 7x57 norma brass and turned them into my 6mm aip brass. And with a manual neck turner. Oh the fun.

We need to meet up.
Coming from rimfire benchrest shooting. Just picked up a 6mm ackley improved built by Kostanich.
Took 7x57 norma brass and turned them into my 6mm aip brass. And with a manual neck turner. Oh the fun.
We should get together and chat. I thought about a wildcat (if it hasn't been done yet) same thing you did, but in a 6.5. PTG could make a custom reamer for a few hundred. Little slower, but with a higher BC. Might buck the wind a bit better out past 800 or so. something fun to play with.

If anyone is going to the 600yd benchrest tomorrow at UNSC, good luck! I have other plans, but Johnny is still running the match on Fathers Day.

Brian

Hell NO! down to spot 19 on the topic list??? Puget Sound thread is back on top!

Guys, next month is my first Tac Match at Jakes. Do you guys have some input you could share as what to expect and gear to bring? I'll be 100% green on this shoot. I've shot benchrest matches, but not Tac.

So far I've got a Bipod already on my rifle and a camera tripod for standing shots if needed, sandbags, wrist band for range data, not sure if I need a shooting mat there(or even have time to set it up on stages).

Brian.

Hell NO! down to spot 19 on the topic list??? Puget Sound thread is back on top!

Guys, next month is my first Tac Match at Jakes. Do you guys have some input you could share as what to expect and gear to bring? I'll be 100% green on this shoot. I've shot benchrest matches, but not Tac.

So far I've got a Bipod already on my rifle and a camera tripod for standing shots if needed, sandbags, wrist band for range data, not sure if I need a shooting mat there(or even have time to set it up on stages).

Brian.

Looks like you have the basics - you should be good to go. I doubt you'll need the shooting mat, but you can bring it if you desire. The tripod will see very limited use, but it's definitely nice to have during certain stages,... still it does get old dragging around all day only to be used maybe once. At Jakes match especially, be ready to hump all your kit around the whole day. There's a fair amount of walking up/down hills to get to the various stages,... Nothing drastic, but just try to think about minimizing weight and being able to quickly pack/unpack your kit as you'll be doing a lot of it during the day. Your first priority will be to do a lot of watching and asking questions,... even what you think are stupid questions - everybody started shooting these matches at one time so nobody will hold a dumb question against you. Have fun!

Have a plan on each stage i.e. you know your drop/adjustment for each target as you will engage them by memory - TIME is your enemy and having all the figures in your head will help. Think about using hold-overs vs adjusting your elevation knob,... it's faster,... On some stages the targets will naturally line-up on your reticle, so hold-overs will save you time i.e. your first target is 1.2-MIL's of adjustment, your second target is 1.7-MIL's of adjustment and your third is 2.2-MIL's of adjustment. If you dialed to 1.2-MIL's you could then hold-over 0.5-MIL's on the second target and 1.0-MIL's on the third...etc. Watch how each shooter attacks the stages - it can vary greatly from shooter to shooter. Try to figure out the most economical (time saving) way to attack each stage. Try to previsualize moving from one most-stable-position possible to the next most-stable-position possible in your mind and do your best to execute it when it's your turn. Don't panic if things go to hell,... slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Practice smooth transitions, deploying/folding your bipod, and mag changes - it seems once someone has completed their first match they realize the importance of practicing these 'insignificant' tasks. Don't worry, you'll do great! Oh,... did I mention to have fun! :)

Ry

Last edited:

Brian.
The July UNSC match is the 5th, if you can make it to that you'll learn a lot before Jake's match.

Thanks for the input guys... I'll try to get out to UNSC. Won't be shooting, but I'll watch and learn. I'm starting a 260 build, so in the future I'll be able to shoot in the matches there.