• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Re: Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Nope. No hiking required. Drive to the ffp, & shoot. You get to pick out any rock you choose to beat up. But if you are volunteering to set up some steel over there we'll let'cha.

damn Bigwheel, that is an awesome spot you got there. Now I am having qualms about what to build next, a 300 ultramag or a 338 edge.

Attherange,
I would recommend doing some ballistics checking before your build. On my last build, I was initially going to build a 6.5-308 Ackley Improved. After much discussion here, I decided that the extra effort to make brass for only 100-200 more yards distance over the 260 Remington (1550 to 1750 yards) and extra barrel wear, simply wasn't justified because so little of 99.5% of my shooting was inside of 1550 yards anyhow.

You might get really good performance out of a 300 Win mag with a 1-10 twist and 220-225 grain bullets, and not have quite a severe of barrel wear as the Ultramag...for only a hundred or two hundred feet per second. If the 300 Win Mag makes it out to 1700-1900 yards, I'm not sure how much the cost/benefit ratio would favor the Ultra mag.

But, then again, all us gun guys like building something better, faster, lighter, more powerful etc. So, don't let logic stop you...it only stopped me the one time.

If want to try a 300 Win mag with long legs to use when shooting with Bigwheels, contact me...maybe you can blow some of the cobwebs out of my M40A1 in 300 Win mag for me.

If I were to build another elr rifle it would probably be a 338edge or lapua. Unless money was no object. Then it would be a chey-tac, or snipe-tac. But for my money I built the 300wm for the range, energy, & range/cost ratio. I get 100 bullets for about $30.00, & a lb of H-1000 gives me over 100rnds. Add to that I can reach out to 2000+ yds with about 600+/- ft/lbs of energy, its the most economical elr cartridge out there. I also crossed the 2000 rnds mark with the new brl, & it still shoots sub 1/4 moa at short range, & about 1 moa at extended range. I'm hoping to get over 4-5000 rnds before I rebarrel.
On another topic. I'm leaving for Bethel Ridge tomorrow to scatter the ashes of one of my hunting buddies who died last yr. Not something I want to do, but I must. I may feel like stopping in E-burg for some shooting on my way home. So if anyone is heading over there on Sun let me know.

Bigwheels,

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy dealing with the loss of someone close.

K9-

Thanks K9. He was a great guy, & a real character. I'm just grateful he was still there when I got my 7x6 bull. Turned out that was the last year he made it.

Bigwheel, sorry for your loss and thanx for the advice, you too unknown, I already have a 260 and am very pleased with it. Barrel life doesn't bother me too much, the lack of an ELR rig does though. So benchmark is going to make me a 338 edge tube pretty soon.
watch out rocks.

Well I just got back from my elk camp. Before everyone else showed up I went out in the morning, & saw 7 elk. A 5X4 bull, 2 spikes, & 4 cows. After the memorial after everyone left, I went out again, & was treated to a big show. There were at least 3 bulls, 2 more spikes, & I don't know how many cows. They were running around calling. The bulls were bugleing, & barking, & rolling in a wallows. Show lasted for about an hour, & they all just left. Was a good time.

A fitting memorial for your friend, even mother nature celebrated his life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I just got back from my elk camp. Before everyone else showed up I went out in the morning, & saw 7 elk. A 5X4 bull, 2 spikes, & 4 cows. After the memorial after everyone left, I went out again, & was treated to a big show. There were at least 3 bulls, 2 more spikes, & I don't know how many cows. They were running around calling. The bulls were bugleing, & barking, & rolling in a wallows. Show lasted for about an hour, & they all just left. Was a good time. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inletting a stock that doesn't have any bottom metal can be difficult for someone who has never done it, and doesn't have access to a milling machine.

However, if your rifle already has some bottom metal, the inletting to put in a DBM is pretty minor. If you are handy with a Dremel, Fordham, type tool or have access to a mill, it shouldn't be too hard, and you should be able to do it yourself.

</div></div>

A lot have said I'm stupid for wanting to do this, but the gun in question is a 1917 US Enfield in 30-06. It's been sporterized so no worrying about destroying a piece of history, as someone else already did that. The sporterized Monte Carlo stock has a small crack at the rear action screw so I'm wanting to put it in a new stock. Also would like to have a DBM, but can't find anything that would work out there. Or at least not yet. My reasoning for doing this to such an old gun is for fun. Nothing else. I just want to see what this old action can do with a new trigger, springs, barrel, stock, etc...

I used to have a 1917 Enfield that some surgeon tried to turn into a bench rest 30-06 back in the 1970's. It had been pretty well buggered by the time I got it, and sent it off to Kreiger for a new 28 inch tube. They can be fun projects as long as you don't expect them to shoot half minute.

You might look into some of the old Mauser magazine systems. I doubt they will fit directely, but Brownell's used to sell a 20 round magazine for the German 8mm mauser.

The crack at the rear action screw probably means someone didn't have things tightened up properly before shooting the rifle. Good idea to replace the stock.

Machinists can do amazing things if you have enough cash and time. It is all a question of how much time and money you have available.

I think a 1917 Enfield 30-06 with a DBM system would be pretty cool. I can think of all sorts of ways to make it into a cobbled together "sorta precision" rifle system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever heard of these guys?

http://ccptraining.com/</div></div>

That's Caylen's site from before he hooked up with Magpul.

I didn't realize that was the Caylen from Magpul... it makes sense now. I saw an ad for them in a magazine and thought I'd ask. Thanks Craig...

OK...Hello everyone! I've been on the board for a while, but just started posting. I need some help!

Does anyone know of a good medium to long distance area in the vicinity of Grays Harbor or Thurston counties? I live near Elma, and I need to stretch my rifle's legs out.

Post away! Thanks for the assist!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powderman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK...Hello everyone! I've been on the board for a while, but just started posting. I need some help!

Does anyone know of a good medium to long distance area in the vicinity of Grays Harbor or Thurston counties? I live near Elma, and I need to stretch my rifle's legs out.

Post away! Thanks for the assist! </div></div>

My understanding is there's a few areas in the Capitol Forest area. How far are you looking to shoot?

Q: How far are you looking to shoot?
A: From where my rifle and I are located, all the way to the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q: How far are you looking to shoot?
A: From where my rifle and I are located, all the way to the target. </div></div>
That's pretty funny... But some of us are located farther from the tgt than others.
You got any 300 ammo going on yet? I still need to test out a new powder lot.

Any one have a s/a AICS they would be willing to let me borrow for a week or so? I would like to try one out

Send me a pm if you do

thanks, the amish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q: How far are you looking to shoot?
A: From where my rifle and I are located, all the way to the target. </div></div>
That's pretty funny... But some of us are located farther from the tgt than others.
You got any 300 ammo going on yet? I still need to test out a new powder lot. </div></div>

I haven't loaded up any new 300 ammo yet....I still have about 120-140 rounds from the last batch so I have enough for some shooting.

I loaded up just shy of 300 rounds of 140 grain Sierra matchkings for my 260 Remington today. They are good out to 1500-1700 yards depending on conditions. My 26 inch barrel puts them out pretty close to 2900 fps without any pressure signs. I am loading 43.8 grains of H4250, and when I went up about 1-1.5 grains I still didn't get any pressure signs, but there was a decrease in accuracy. So, I stayed with the load that gave the best accuracy and sufficient velocity.

To really get close to the 3000 fps mark, I think the 6.5 bores need to have a cartridge like the 6.5x284 to be within realistic pressure boundaries. I imagine I could squeeze out a few more FPS if I went to Lapua cases rather than the Winchester, but I don't know if accuracy would suffer. My cases will be good for another 4-5 loadings, so I'm in no hurry to buy the Lapua cases. However, if someone thought Christmas should come early.....

Tibor has a 6.5/284 that he used when we went to Kettle Falls a few yrs ago. It was almost a ballistic match to my 300wm except he was a.little flatter @ short range, but my 208 A max would out last it @ long range. Tribes 6x47L with 105 D Tac was exactly matching my 208 load a few yrs ago. But I'll not switch from the H225's anytime soon that's for sure. Haven't shot anything like them so far. For the price/performance they can't be beat.

Bigwheels,

So far, the only bullets I have run through my 300 have been Sierra 190's, and Lapua 185 Scenar's. Both seem to have about the exact point of impact out to 600 yards. I haven't tested them beyond that.

My 300 was built by Gale McMillan (started McMillan rifles) back when he was still alive. I asked him where to begin looking for a good load, and he said he can give me the exact recipe...

Winchester cases
Federal 215M primers
70 grains of IMR4350
190 Sierra Matchking

That load worked fabulous, but I found I got the same accuracy with 68.5 grains, and I figured it wouldn't be quite as hard on brass and barrels.

So far, I have gone through the original McMillan barrel, two Schneider 1-10 twist polygon barrels, and am now on an Obermeyer 1-11 5R barrel that was set back 1.5 inches at the breech, and had .5 inch cut off the muzzle about 350 rounds ago. I had it set back at about 850 rounds because I didn't want to risk really cooking the throat before I set it back.

The tube is now 25 inches long from the front of the recoil lug. I guess for most people they would call that a 26 inch barrel if measuring from the gas vent on the right side of the receiver. I also had a muzzle brake with 4 large baffles designed specifically for this rifle mounted onto it. Recoil is about the same as my TRG22 (308), but it most certainly has a much sharper "bark" to it.

The 260 Remington has a 27 inch barrel (again from the front of the recoil lug) so I can have it set back when necessary, but it only has around 900 rounds through it.

My next loadings will be with either the 208 or 225 grain bullets and the H1000 powder you recommended. My only concern is whether my 1-11 twist barrel will stabilize that heavy of a bullet adequately. For what it is worth, my 68.5 grains of IMR4350 gets the 190's going 2960-3000 fps depending on ambient temperature. If it is really hot out (90F and above) I get a little nervous when the ammo warms up and pressures increase.

Let me know if you think the 1-11 twist will stabilize the heavier bullets properly. I note that Sierra recommends a pretty fast twist for the 210 grain MK, but they don't have the same notation for the 220....I guess the 210 is much longer, hence the warning.

Actually the 220 is the same length as the 210 but the 210 has a much shorter bearing surface. I think Montana Marine has shot them in 1:11 tw with good results but he's also @ 5000'asl so it may be different down here. I would try the 208 first with H-1000, & see what happens. The 208 is 1.530"+/- in length so if you plug that into jbm the stabilization factor can be found to get a good idea.
I just did it for you. the 1:11 tw is GTG even down to 2800fps with the 208 A Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powderman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK...Hello everyone! I've been on the board for a while, but just started posting. I need some help!

Post away! Thanks for the assist! </div></div>

My understanding is there's a few areas in the Capitol Forest area. How far are you looking to shoot? </div></div>

As far as possible! I've been to one open shoot area off of Waddell Creek Road, and my friends and I go there to hand throw some clays--we'll head out with a couple of boxes, at least 100 shells each, and a bunch of shotguns. Problem is, even shooting across the pit at its widest point you'll only get 150-170 yards at best. Do you know anyplace that will give you at least a 500 yard shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waguns,
I think your effort to put out locations of gun stores is praiseworthy. Many of the people here guard their shooting spots very closely because once the location gets out, the gravel pit people who show up drunk and leave junk around ruin it for the rest of us. Once that happens, some government agency (understandably) closes it down.

Fortunately, there are some groups who have annual outings to clean up areas that have been trashed by the drunken bubbas that leave their garbage at the site after they finish with their dangerous method of shooting.

These groups do other shooters a great service by getting us some positive public relations to offset the damage done by the idiots who shoot up road signs, and leave shot up television sets and appliances at what used to be really nice secret shooting areas.

Perhaps if someone started publishing clean up events, the people who show up to the clean up events would be the people automatically "vetted" as being worthy of finding out about all the nice secret shooting spots.

I know I won't publish any sites that are easy to get to. I'll only go there with people I know and have already decided to trust.

</div></div>

I appreciate the comments and I'm not trying to find more public locations. We do clean up as the Duvall Pit is one that I help out at. Most of us are short distance guys(<100 yards) for pistol and AR. Some of us have distance shooting experience but I will only speak for myself. 435-550 at Benning and a granite quarry outside Atlanta. The rest was military weapons up to 800m. I'm just looking for a safe long distance shooting location. Also, shamless plug, promote the site.

WaGuns,
Upper Nisqually Sportsman's club has a 550 yard range (545 according to my laser) that members can shoot on any time there isn't a match, or other use on it. That is the range where we have our practical rifle matches on the 3rd saturday of each month. But, you can shoot there as a guest of a member, and if you contact the club, occasionally, they have some kind of provision for non members to shoot there, but you have to arrange it ahead of time.

I don't know exactly how the process for non-members shooting there works, but it might be on their web site.

There is supposed to be a spot outside of Olympia for long distance shooting, but I haven't scouted it yet, so I have no idea about what it might be like.

WAguns, the machias range is really nice. I think it goes out to 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... </div></div>

*COUGH* Hostage... *COUGH* Target... *COUGH*

Everyone hear about the swat team shoot out in Snohomish Co. last weekend? A week ago I had 3 of their marksmen out confirming dope, etc. Haven't heard if any of them were involved. They killed the shooter after receiving fire from some woods. No police were injured as far as I know. Sounds like all is well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WAguns, the machias range is really nice. I think it goes out to 600 yards. </div></div>

very nice range, I shot many Fclass matches there but it is "only" 500 yds.

The 500yd range is only available when the F.class/Hp shoots are scheduled. The rifle range has to be closed when they shoot because the 500yd range fires over the top of the 100-200yd range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... </div></div>

*COUGH* Hostage... *COUGH* Target... *COUGH*

</div></div>

Hey now!!! We actually have an awesome 66% IPSC target with a flapper hostage over the neck/head area. Flaps back and forth on impact. We are try to figure out how to keep it on one side after it gets hit. It seems to want to bounce back over when hit with a big rifle.

Say it's on the right side of the target, at 150 yards, and a 308, the hostage flapper would be hit so hard it would go rotate over to the other side, and then bounce back, keeping it on the same side as it was.

At 450 yards and a 308, it worked perfect, would go from one side to the other like designed. And at close range with a pistol, both 45acp and 9mm, it also worked perfectly.

Any ideas how to get it to say with the big guns?

If I understand correctly, I've seen two solutions to that problem. One is to move the brackets up a little and offset them so that the flapper is hanging at a slight downward angle. Then it will always drop back to rest in the same position. The other solution is to add a post at 90 degrees from the flapper pointing straight back, so that when the flapper is hit it only goes back to the 90 and returns to its original position.

I think he's trying to find a way to get it to switch sides with each hit, not return to its original position.

Hmm.. how about a notch cut on either side of the mounting tube, and some sort of simple detent on the post that it swings on? That way it takes more force to push it out of each notch to swing? Just thinking out loud...

If that doesn't make sense, the notches would be at 180 degrees from each other, at each stopping point for the flapper. If the notches are cut with rounded edges, the tube that the flapper is mounted to will slide up and spin to reach the other side and drop back down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm.. how about a notch cut on either side of the mounting tube, and some sort of simple detent on the post that it swings on? That way it takes more force to push it out of each notch to swing? Just thinking out loud...

If that doesn't make sense, the notches would be at 180 degrees from each other, at each stopping point for the flapper. If the notches are cut with rounded edges, the tube that the flapper is mounted to will slide up and spin to reach the other side and drop back down.</div></div>

Or if that proves to add too much resistance to make it work reliably with handguns or some rifles at longer range, just use a single notch and detent. Or even try using a detent (or two) and rather than notches at the "rest" position you could make the tube that the post rotates in shaped with a hump, so the target is struck and starts to rotate and the detent rides up the side of the hump, and as it passes the peak it descends the other side. Ideally there wouldn't be enough rebound energy to slam it back hard enough to climb the hump again and flip back to the original side.

The picture in my head looked more like your description than mine, the rounded 'notches' being more like opposite sides of a hump...

As of right now, the entire unit is angled forward toward the shooter. Having gravity help the flapper stay down.

If you can picture this,

Two 1.5 inch squares welded to the back of the head up on end about 3 inches apart up and down. There is one hole in each square.

A tube is welded on the end of the flapper.

A bolt is put through the squares and tube, the flapper rotates on the bolt.

You could also just weld a bump on the bottom bracket. Then the relieved portions of the tube would hold the target better at the two ends of its travel.

I'm not familiar with "notch and detent" mechanically. Any chance someone could link me to a decent actual diagram of the system?

Anyone in our group have an FFL and mind receiving a transfer for me? My normal guy is out for the next 2 weeks...

He's my suppressor dealer and I was going to give him a call tomorrow. I was hoping there might be someone on this side of the water. I'm going to get my FFL soon and then it won't be an issue lol...

Gone? Nope I'm not gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's my suppressor dealer and I was going to give him a call tomorrow. I was hoping there might be someone on this side of the water. I'm going to get my FFL soon and then it won't be an issue lol... </div></div>

Calling you now.
wink.gif

If Ryo doesn't work out for some reason, I think that Russ Haydon's shooter's supply in Gig Harbor does FFL receiving for people.

Made a trip up to Acme last Friday and did some shooting from the 930 yard location. At the firing location it was obvious someone had a campfire and left some trash laying around.

Just north of the firing location we drove up the spur heading east to the 500 yard firing position to enjoy the view off the backside before leaving. As we looked down to the end of the spur someone had dumped an old sofa and other junk.

I've been up there at least a half of dozen times and this is the first time I've seen evidence of willful and blatant abuse.

My partner and I removed one bag of garbage but obviously the sofa was out of the question. Hopefully this was an anomaly and not the start of a trend...

Unfortunately it is becoming more, & more popular with the crackheads up there. The vast majority of the other roads around have been closed, so there are less, & less other places for the rifraf to go. I would love to find some of them up there sometime. They would have a bad day. Sad to see what is happening now days. Seems no one has any respect for anything any more. The last time I was @ Yellow Stone, I went to see Morning Glory pool, & there was an empty 1/2 rack of beer laying in the bottom. I wonder if there's another country I might like to live. Can't think of any tho.

It's time we arrange a large clean-up party for Acme. There's at least a dozen or so of us that use the area. I have a dumpster at my house so I can dispose of a few bags of trash that can fit in the back of my pathfinder. How about September 30th at 9:00am?