• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Blurry. It's a memorial match for SGT Matt Karstetter. The procedes from the match are going to his kids college fund. it is listed in the tactical match section (i think). If you can make it i have room in my truck.

There aren't a lot of shooters signed up as of today so if any of the guys from our group can make it that will really help.

Plus from what I've seen on the map there will be shots farther than most of us can get to on this side of the mountains.

There is plenty of room for tents and RVs. Shoot all day, lock up the rifles and have a bbq and beers. That is the plan from what I've heard.

I was looking at that match but I have the wrong rig for a carry all day match. Sure looks like it will be really fun though, around a 200 round count I think it was. You cant ask for a better cause, if we don't take care of our own no one else will.

I was at PSC yesterday and met a really nice guy. He was testing some loads for next Sat. Match at UNSC. Funny thing is I was there doing the exact same thing, sure would have been nice to be able to do it at greater then 200 yards. So looks like I have a load now I just need to figure how many rounds I need to load and bring to the match. Was wondering if there was anyone that needed a carpool to the match? If you want to ride with me just send me a PM and we can work something out I am sure. I am in Bremerton if it helps out at all.

I am going to the match at Nisqually on the 18th, but I have to be there at 07:30..it all depends on how early you want to get there. I have to get there early to help set up stuff. Riders, and/or helpers are fine with me.

Steepdiver, I am tipping the scales at about 16lbs, plus whatever else I might stick in Eberlestock, theres always plenty of time to get a little rest in.

For those of you that don't know about it, buts here,s a match to attend.
2013 SGT Matt Karstetter (USMC) Memorial Field Match- Wilbur WA 6/15

Guys, if you want to get out and shoot this is for a worthy cause, it may be a little far for some of you, but I am sure there's more than one going from the Wet side, so carpool.
I don't think there's going to be a better introduction to the sport than this match, plus there's probably going to be a pretty little prize table.
So if you haven't signed up, here's the link
http://isgroup.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCar

Recently received email with regards to the match.
For those of you who knew Matt, you know that the world lost a brother, friend, shooter, and Marine. As a man who truly loved this sport, this match is held in his honor and the proceeds will be donated to the scholarship fund of his 13 year old step-daughter and 4 month old son that he left behind.
Dry camping is available the night previous and the night of the match. Following the match, shooters are encouraged to stick around and enjoy a smoked tri-tip dinner. Spectators are encouraged to attend and enjoy the after-match camaraderie.
This match is being hosted on private property and everyone is EXPECTED to police after him or herself, respect the property, and act responsibly.
This match will provide a wide variety of stages with a varying degree of difficulty. Shooters are STRONGLY encouraged to bring analog forms of data to include a mechanical compass and be prepared for all weather conditions. Expect to see stages such as: UKD, positional, high angle, movers, and so on. All shooters will be required to pack the gear they intend to use for the day. After the safety briefing and opening stage, shooters will not be allowed to return for additional equipment.
Match Location / Date.
The match is scheduled for June 15th, 2013. Specific locations for the match will be given to the attending shooters once they have registered and are confirmed. This is done to eliminate any on-lookers that may cause unnecessary distractions. Directions will be sent to each competitors email address once the registration forms have been received. If you cannot attend this event please feel free to foward the mail message along to others in our community.

Match Fee’s.

The Match fees will be $150.00 USD per shooter. Included in this price is a post-match barbecue and T-shirt.

Match registration & Sign In.

This years registration will be on a first come first served basis over the internet utilizing My Custom Event's sign in and event organizational skill sets. Simply Outstanding! Registration is currently open and a limited number of slots are avalible.

Please register here.

Safety brief will begin promptly at 0830 the day of the match. Pre-registration is required to attend the match. Only those who have made a prior arrangement will be allowed to register the day of the event. This is a “charity” shoot and no refunds will be given. Failure to sign in will result in a forfeiture of your entry fee which in turn will be an additional donation.

Accommodations.

Camp sites available. Camp sites are dry camps i.e. no hook ups for septic, water or power.

Hotels / Motels.- The match will be held near Wilbur, WA. Hotel spaces are limited. Grand Coulee is approximately 30 miles from the match site.

Caliber & Other Restrictions.

This match will be limited to .300 win mag and lower.

Round Count

TBD.

Time Limits.

Each shooting station will have its own time limit. Once the RSO has given the command to begin, your time has started for that station. Each shooting station will have their own set of rules and regulations in addition to times. Pay close attention to the RSO’s for specific directions.

In the event that the RSO has any distractions or reason to call a cease fire, time will be paused to ensure that the team at that station is allotted the proper time for firing.

Squad Movement.

All shooters will be organized in to squads prior to the match beginning. The RSO will instruct the teams where their next shooting station is and when they are cleared to move to that station. This will be done in order to keep track of all teams to ensure the safety of all involved in the match.

For the obvious reasons I can't attend but I know Carl puts on great matches and this will be well worth the cost to attend and for a good cause.

Yes, im totally bumbed ill be out of the state during this shoot. Sounds like it will be a ton of fun with great people for a good cause.

slm9s, well down the road in Odessa I do believe they used to have a combine demolition derby, fortunately Carls movers are poetry in motion.

Does anyone have information about the match being held 6.1/6.2 down at Paul Bunyan? I couldn't find any match details on their website and the WSRPA appears to not be putting up match bulletins this year.

DM, was under the impression its the State High Power Championships, 200/300 Saturday, 600 prone Sunday, are you going to shoot the State F-Class at Rattle snake June 22/23.

MJ - apparently I needed to look at the WSRPA calendar a little closer. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I will be at Rattlesnake the 21st(practice) 22/23rd for the match.

So you did decide to put it up for sale... that sure didn't take long. Best of luck with the sale some couldn't go wrong with it.

Yeah... I'm going to take advantage of the opportunities presented to me lol...

Kettle Falls this weekend and Upper Nisqually, hope everyone gets some trigger time in, have fun and if your heading East see you all there.

tagging in on this thread, new to the longer range shooting, and still trying to figure out what direction/s I want to head.

thinking about a 260 remington on an AR platform but Seekin's has not made thiers yet, and have just missed out on the Rainer MEGA MA-TEN MKM's.

I am more a pistol guy than a rifle guy, but I do have a nice LaRue Stealth

Excellent choice, its really hard to beat the 260 in any long range platform, if you go with an AR, I personally don't think there's a better cartridge choice.

6.5 or 6CM is also a great long range cartridge for an AR. It all depends on your level of reloading and budget.

DSC00319.jpgDSC00321.jpg

Just got my American Rifle co rings today, now i just need some good glass to go with it when my money is right. Pictures are kind of dark though. It's also good to know i'm supporting a local company as well.

Last edited:
ballistically, the 6.5x47, 260 REM, and 6.5 CM are the same. Full disclosure requires that I confess to owning, and liking the 260. However, if I were going to buy one, I would base my selection on the following considerations:

1. which one has the cheapest, most available components
2. If you already have components for one, that greatly effects #1
3. Do you reload, or buy ammo: if you buy, change #1 to ammo only
4. Do you have any magazines, they are like components?
5. Which one has the highest quality brass? Brass quality effects brass longevity, which in turn effects overall ammo price. Although Lapua brass initially costs more, much of that is offset because of how long it lasts.
6. On the other hand, 260 cases can be made out of 243, 308, or 7mm-08 brass in addition to Lapua's ready made cases.
7. I have been running my 260 on 7mm-08 bought on sale..at less than galf the cost of lapua, I can buy twice as many. If you have a bunch of 308 cases, neck 'em down.
8. If you have contacts with any of these cartridges. they can help out with tips, loads, and otherwise reduce your learning curve.

All things considered, I prefer the 260, however here are some additional considerations:
1. the 6.5x47 operates at considerably higher pressure to get the same performance. If you use the same pressure in the other cartridges, performance increases, but safety and brass life decreases.
2. The 6.5 CM was designed to work well out of magazines
3. The 6.5 CM posts match loads, VERY BIG positive
4. brass supply for the 6.5 cm is limited, Lapua brass is available for the 260 and 6.5x47

I don't think you can make a "wrong" decision with any of these cartridges. You might want to take a look at the 6x45 if you already have an AR15...it is just necked up 5.56x45, but performance is quite good. I think it rivals the 6.5 Grendel, of which I am a huge fan.

Last edited:
ballistically, the 6.5x47, 260 REM, and 6.5 CM are the same. Full disclosure requires that I confess to owning, and liking the 260. However, if I were going to buy one, I would base my selection on the following considerations:

1. which one has the cheapest, most available components
2. If you already have components for one, that greatly effects #1
3. Do you reload, or buy ammo: if you buy, change #1 to ammo only
4. Do you have any magazines, they are like components?
5. Which one has the highest quality brass? Brass quality effects brass longevity, which in turn effects overall ammo price. Although Lapua brass initially costs more, much of that is offset because of how long it lasts.
6. On the other hand, 260 cases can be made out of 243, 308, or 7mm-08 brass in addition to Lapua's ready made cases.
7. I have been running my 260 on 7mm-08 bought on sale..at less than galf the cost of lapua, I can buy twice as many. If you have a bunch of 308 cases, neck 'em down.
8. If you have contacts with any of these cartridges. they can help out with tips, loads, and otherwise reduce your learning curve.

All things considered, I prefer the 260, however here are some additional considerations:
1. the 6.5x47 operates at considerably higher pressure to get the same performance. If you use the same pressure in the other cartridges, performance increases, but safety and brass life decreases.
2. The 6.5 CM was designed to work well out of magazines
3. The 6.5 CM posts match loads, VERY BIG positive
4. brass supply for the 6.5 cm is limited, Lapua brass is available for the 260 and 6.5x47

I don't think you can make a "wrong" decision with any of these cartridges. You might want to take a look at the 6x45 if you already have an AR15...it is just necked up 5.56x45, but performance is quite good. I think it rivals the 6.5 Grendel, of which I am a huge fan.

I do reload and looking at 260 because of the 15 Pmags sitting in my safe. I have several other parts for a build that I wanted to do but then SH happened and everyone knows what happened then.

Lapua now makes 260 brass and as you mention others can be necked up or down. Cheap brass is a nice just because it is cheap even if it does not last that long, you are not too concerned about losing a few pieces when out shooting.

From what I had seen somewhere the 6.5 CM did not always feed well on an AR platform, and the only brass was Hornady. So a sole source to get brass. But you have the abilty to set the bullet out further due to the shorter case. If the 6.5 CM feeds well that would be back in the running, but then I can always just go out and buy a box of 260 match ammo (well during normal times).

If I had loads of money, the 6.5 Grendel would be on another list for sure, somewhere I need to draw a line on toys.

...From what I had seen somewhere the 6.5 CM did not always feed well on an AR platform...

I'm not arguing for or against the 6.5 Creedmoor, but one of the design goals for it was that it would function well in AR platform rifles. I had one for a while and it fed great, and I have a buddy who has had similarly good luck with it in an AR. Now, I know I've only got 2 examples of first hand experience to share but I can't say I've heard too many other people complain about feeding in ARs.

I have a DPMS LR260 that I really like. I'd read that some are very accurate and some are just ok. I got one of the very accurate ones and love it. For the price it is very hard to beat. Low recoil, great ballistics, abundant components, accurate and reliable.

If you have can get a used one with a reputable accuracy report, they're tough to beat.

The 6mm in an AR is a PHENOMENAL round and can be employed in either an 5.56 or 7.62 AR platform.

Puget Sounds Folks,

This is Clint and I am hosting the Karstetter memorial match on 6/15, along with a lot of help from Carl Taylor.. There are quite a few people signed up that are coming from over the mountains (DJ, aka Mailman, Marty, Nick, 30calgal, and so on).

This will not be a physically intensive match (I think someone was concerned about packing a heavy rifle all day) and the unofficial round count is 110 rifle and 100 pistol, although shooters do not have to pack pistols and pistol ammo all day long. We do have some special stuff set up and will more than likely incorporate a 1750yd "for fun" stage. I know there are a lot of shooters in the area and I apologize for not having it more centrally located but this seemed to work best for the type of venue we had in mind. As pointed above, we will have some high angle, likely 30 degree 1000-1200 yard shots, UKD, movers, KYL, and positional.

Matt has a lot of friends and co-workers who are hunters but do not own "precision" rifles and wanted to make sure that they had the means to compete as well so I am going to have 2 classes, tactical and sporting, IF we get enough shooters for the sporting class. If not, the playing field will be leveled a little bit in another fashion and all will compete against one another.

Looking forward to all those who have registered to come have a good time (Mailman you are on meat smoking duty...not pole smoking, meat smoking haha). <---Marty...you are watching!

Thanks,

Clint

DM, was under the impression its the State High Power Championships, 200/300 Saturday, 600 prone Sunday, are you going to shoot the State F-Class at Rattle snake June 22/23.

You coming over for the F-Class at the end of June?

Clint

Seriously thinking of bringing my Mk12 mod 0, she's all done, except Atf takes forever and my can is on hold. Still could be a lot of fun, its all about participating and having fun. Anyways guys, this is going to be a great match for a great cause, it should be lots if fun, don't sweat the little things like ranging targets, there's an easy formula and we have cheat sheets, angle shooting is the same, just dial dope for a little closer. But seriously come out and have fun, lots of willing folks that will take the time to guide you along and make the match a fun time.

View attachment 7052View attachment 7054

Just got my American Rifle co rings today, now i just need some good glass to go with it when my money is right. Pictures are kind of dark though. It's also good to know i'm supporting a local company as well.

That's the M10 QD-L correct? I have not seen any pics from anyone or comments regarding the performance/review of those which I find curious as those things look SWEET!!!! Please be sure to post pics of the final product once you purchase your glass as well as a final review on them. I am sold as of now on ARC....

You're correct, these rings just got released with the redesigned internal bubble level so i'm probably one of the first to get it. Here is a two month old thread about ARC rings: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...opes/180173-american-rifle-company-rings.html
That's the M10 QD-L correct? I have not seen any pics from anyone or comments regarding the performance/review of those which I find curious as those things look SWEET!!!! Please be sure to post pics of the final product once you purchase your glass as well as a final review on them. I am sold as of now on ARC....

I have one and I could possibly get a couple more. If you pick them up from me at the match $20. If I have to ship then $20+shipping. I'd have to run to the store to see if there's any left though if you want more than 1.

For everyone going to the match this weekend. Good luck and make the steel ring!

Thanks KEVIN, Nick and Anton!! another great match. had a lot of fun, thanks for putting this whole thing together. I will be out again in June. Nick, I can send you that cash or just give it to you at the next match, shoot me a text and let me know.

Last edited:
A shout out @ Anton, Kevin, Nick - Thanks fellas for having a great match today I had terrific time and also enjoyed meeting the other guys. This was my first time coming out to this and gave me a chance a to try out my new 6.5 Grendel. I dont' know why it took me so long to come down to these matches, but I'll plan on becoming one of the regulars in the future . I just hoping my current stock of reloading supplies holds out until some of my backordered items starts to show up.

A shout out @ Anton, Kevin, Nick - Thanks fellas for having a great match today I had terrific time and also enjoyed meeting the other guys. This was my first time coming out to this and gave me a chance a to try out my new 6.5 Grendel. I dont' know why it took me so long to come down to these matches, but I'll plan on becoming one of the regulars in the future . I just hoping my current stock of reloading supplies holds out until some of my backordered items starts to show up.

I had a great time as well. I think you left your rear bags at the range, I have them in my truck. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime to get them or just wait till the next match.

I had a great time as well. I think you left your rear bags at the range, I have them in my truck. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime to get them or just wait till the next match.

Im sorry Kevin I left your name out of my thanks, thank you as well for the shoot and getting me sighted in before the match kicked off, I really appreciate it.

I had one of the best days shooting I have had I a very long time. Even though I had a major equipment failure. Thanks to all who put this together, and great to meet all of you there. I promise this is a trip I will make a regular event on my calendar. Great shooting by all, and thanks again.

Great match as always, Stage 4 did a good job of beating me up. Congrats to those that pulled out great shooting on it.
Here's some pictures we took today, didn't manage to get everyone in there but it should give a good idea of what we we're up to today.

AtOne, Great pic's! I had so much fun today, and thank you to all that put this Match on. I look forward to each shoot, and to be around "like minded individuals"! J

I'm just pleased I didn't totally fall on my face after not shooting any matches for 2-3 months because of that foot surgery. I still don't get along really well with the rooftop...after the first three close targets, I don't think I even frightened any of the others...I sure didn't hit any more..

I will try and post results later today.

You bastards really stepped up your game yesterday. :) I felt like I shot much better than the last match (my first), but did worse on the scoreboard.
I'm glad there was no kneeling portion this time, that was much harder than it looked last time. And curse that damned rooftop!
To be around guns like a DTA (w/ a Mark 6!), AI, and some tricked out gasguns, I kinda wish we could have a 5 minute 'check out each others guns' before we start. :) I've always wanted to get behind a DTA, and I've never got to cycle an AI.
My vote for 'Most Improved' is a tie between Russ & Fedcop, from top feeding an ADL or BDL setup, to doing much better with DBM systems. Nice shootin guys.
Instead of a downpour, it was only a light rain at times, hopefully next time we actually get to put the goretex away. And maybe a couple of us could bring a can of a bright color spray paint, as seeing where the target was vs the dark straps holding them and the dark cardboard surrounding them was challenging. I think a rule stating that any contestant under the age of 35 would need to sprint out and repaint the targets between stages is in order. :)
I had a great time, this has quickly become my favorite type of shooting, much more fun/exciting than short or long range benchrest. If we could get the second range going and double the trigger pulls (even with a 22lr) while decreasing the wait time and overall time, it would be even better.
Thanks to the organizers and everyone else, see you next time.

You bastards really stepped up your game yesterday. :) I felt like I shot much better than the last match (my first), but did worse on the scoreboard.
I'm glad there was no kneeling portion this time, that was much harder than it looked last time. And curse that damned rooftop!
To be around guns like a DTA (w/ a Mark 6!), AI, and some tricked out gasguns, I kinda wish we could have a 5 minute 'check out each others guns' before we start. :) I've always wanted to get behind a DTA, and I've never got to cycle an AI.
My vote for 'Most Improved' is a tie between Russ & Fedcop, from top feeding an ADL or BDL setup, to doing much better with DBM systems. Nice shootin guys.
Instead of a downpour, it was only a light rain at times, hopefully next time we actually get to put the goretex away. And maybe a couple of us could bring a can of a bright color spray paint, as seeing where the target was vs the dark straps holding them and the dark cardboard surrounding them was challenging. I think a rule stating that any contestant under the age of 35 would need to sprint out and repaint the targets between stages is in order. :)
I had a great time, this has quickly become my favorite type of shooting, much more fun/exciting than short or long range benchrest. If we could get the second range going and double the trigger pulls (even with a 22lr) while decreasing the wait time and overall time, it would be even better.
Thanks to the organizers and everyone else, see you next time.

We normally have time after the match to shoot at the steel for a while and check out each others rifles. However, due to the idiots that kept shutting us down because they wanted to drive across the top of a live range we ran behind schedule and didn't have enough time to do that this month. I have a few ideas on how we could speed up next months match a little bit, like have a stage or two with multiple shooters at the same time.

Word Processing program got the better of our numbers below! Sorry about the "massing of the numbers"....if you can't interpret the results, just let me know and I'll send an attachement to you. I'm also sending out the results to everyone on the mailing lists.

18 MAY 2013
Match results

Thanks to all who showed up and helped make this match run so well. We had a couple of interruptions with people crossing the range, but all of you did really well keeping track of when you were supposed to shoot, and that helped us finish up in time.

We had 15 shooters, and some interesting stages:
1. Out of the bed of a pickup truck
2. Over a barrel, then off a roof top
3. Using two different barricades
4. No fate but what you make (call your shots, if you miss, you loose points)

Here are the results:
NAME STAGE 1 STAGE 2 STAGE 3 STAGE 4 TOTAL
1. Kevin D. bolt 7 7 8 36 58
2. Mike W. bolt 8 7 7 34 56
3. Anton G. semi 8 3 9 35 55
4. Steve M. semi 8 6 8 32 54
5. Ryan B. bolt 7 7 8 28 50
6. Eric B. bolt 8 6 10 22 46
7. John F. bolt 6 3 7 27 43
8. Jason G. bolt 6 6 6 19 37
9. Steve L. semi 8 6 6 17 37 Total time for Jason G = 499.2,
Total time for Steve L = 500.2
10. Justin D bolt 8 4 7 15 34
11. Mark K bolt 7 5 5 1 18
12. Russ H bolt 3 7 6 -3 13
13. Mike N bolt 4 3 1(DNF) -1 7
14. Joe W bolt 3 0 3 -21 -0-

Notes: In all fairness, the match was not a fair evaluation of Joe's shooting skill as his scope decided to die on stage 2.

Chad had to leave early, and took his score sheet with him, so we don't know how he did on the stages 1-3.

If anyone has to leave early for work, please let us know and we will make every effort to get you through the match so you can finish the match AND make it to work.

Last edited: