• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Hey guys. I just got to FT Lewis a couple weeks ago. I'm new to the Puget Sound area but was born and raised right across the river in Oregon and just found this group. I've been looking for an area to shoot up to about 500 yards right now for some load development. Any ideas?

Hey guys. I just got to FT Lewis a couple weeks ago. I'm new to the Puget Sound area but was born and raised right across the river in Oregon and just found this group. I've been looking for an area to shoot up to about 500 yards right now for some load development. Any ideas?

Welcome! There a couple ranges including the Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club and Paul Bunyan which are close for you. I believe there's also a 1K range on Lewis. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

I feel like I need to call the waambulance for everyone who had to shoot from the roof top... :p

Thanks to all who showed up and helped make this match run so well. We had a couple of interruptions with people crossing the range, but all of you did really well keeping track of when you were supposed to shoot, and that helped us finish up in time.

If anyone has to leave early for work, please let us know and we will make every effort to get you through the match so you can finish the match AND make it to work.

Anton, thanks again for helping me get done in time. Wish I could have watched everyone else go through stage 4. Looks like there were some good scores. Mine not so much. Next time...

Mark

says the man who didn't shoot... :)

Seeing as I designed and built it... I'd say I probably have spent more time on that thing than almost everyone combined ;)

In all honesty it sucks just watching, but sometimes life just gives you lemonades. Hopefully I'll have something finished by the next match so I can join in the fun again...

Seeing as I designed and built it... I'd say I probably have spent more time on that thing than almost everyone combined ;)
snoopy_on_doghouse.jpg

Why am I picturing this ?

Attachments

• w18190237.jpg
    w18190237.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 22
Great match as always, Stage 4 did a good job of beating me up. Congrats to those that pulled out great shooting on it.
Here's some pictures we took today, didn't manage to get everyone in there but it should give a good idea of what we we're up to today.

Bump for anyone that missed the match pics seeing as it was at the end of the last page :)

Word Processing program got the better of our numbers below! Sorry about the "massing of the numbers"....if you can't interpret the results, just let me know and I'll send an attachement to you. I'm also sending out the results to everyone on the mailing lists.

18 MAY 2013
Match results

Thanks to all who showed up and helped make this match run so well. We had a couple of interruptions with people crossing the range, but all of you did really well keeping track of when you were supposed to shoot, and that helped us finish up in time.

We had 15 shooters, and some interesting stages:
1. Out of the bed of a pickup truck
2. Over a barrel, then off a roof top
3. Using two different barricades
4. No fate but what you make (call your shots, if you miss, you loose points)

Here are the results:
NAME STAGE 1 STAGE 2 STAGE 3 STAGE 4 TOTAL
1. Kevin D. bolt 7 7 8 36 58
2. Mike W. bolt 8 7 7 34 56
3. Anton G. semi 8 3 9 35 55
4. Steve M. semi 8 6 8 32 54
5. Ryan B. bolt 7 7 8 28 50
6. Eric B. bolt 8 6 10 22 46
7. John F. bolt 6 3 7 27 43
8. Jason G. bolt 6 6 6 19 37
9. Steve L. semi 8 6 6 17 37 Total time for Jason G = 499.2,
Total time for Steve L = 500.2
10. Justin D bolt 8 4 7 15 34
11. Mark K bolt 7 5 5 1 18
12. Russ H bolt 3 7 6 -3 13
13. Mike N bolt 4 3 1(DNF) -1 7
14. Joe W bolt 3 0 3 -21 -0-

Notes: In all fairness, the match was not a fair evaluation of Joe's shooting skill as his scope decided to die on stage 2.

Chad had to leave early, and took his score sheet with him, so we don't know how he did on the stages 1-3.

If anyone has to leave early for work, please let us know and we will make every effort to get you through the match so you can finish the match AND make it to work.

I did have to leave early, but I didn't take my score sheet with me. In any case, I only got to shoot the orientation and then the first stage. Considering I only had a 1-6 SWFA on my 16" AR10 that I use for 3-gun, (and shooting M80 bulk ammo) I was happy to hit anything. Watching some of you guys hit that plate at 545 yards was pretty damn impressive.

If we continue to use the rooftop, perhaps changing the angle of it for each use would be helpful and provide us with more diverse practice. The more angles we can practice from, the more it will help us. I know that I need more practice from various rooftop angles.

Scope dies at match

so here it goes after my CHEAP scope (if it can even be called a scope) ate itself last week I am pulling the trigger on a Viper PST tomorrow. But I need some advice on rings and maybe a new base to go with it. I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to measure rings with the rail that's on this rifle now.

Rifle rail.jpg

SO any advice or help would be appreciated. I was thinking The Vortex precision rings just really stuck on the height.

Anybody remember the story I told about 200 yards being too far to shoot a deer? Well I have one to beat it now.

I took a guy with me we shot at 227 yards so using a 308 I came up 2.25 MOA. There was no problem with this. We moved back to 425. I dialed up to 8.5 MOA. instantly he looks at me dead serious. "Dude you dialed way to high." So I check my turret, yep still at 8.5. Check my drop sheet says 8.5.. I ask 'are you sure?" "Yes, I'm sure" "Hmm I'm going to try it this way first..". "Ok but I don't think you'll hit." I squeeze off a round and sure enough it hits.. squeezed off another hey another hit. So I ask him why he thought I was high.. According to him his dad taught him that the numbers on the turrets indicated yards. 1-100, 2-200, 3-300, 4-400, etc.

I thought I was going to die from laughter.

LMAO ! I can see that happening after watching hunter sight in at our range over the last few years...The animals do have a sporting chance with a lot of hunters out there ;)

Anybody remember the story I told about 200 yards being too far to shoot a deer? Well I have one to beat it now.

I took a guy with me we shot at 227 yards so using a 308 I came up 2.25 MOA. There was no problem with this. We moved back to 425. I dialed up to 8.5 MOA. instantly he looks at me dead serious. "Dude you dialed way to high." So I check my turret, yep still at 8.5. Check my drop sheet says 8.5.. I ask 'are you sure?" "Yes, I'm sure" "Hmm I'm going to try it this way first..". "Ok but I don't think you'll hit." I squeeze off a round and sure enough it hits.. squeezed off another hey another hit. So I ask him why he thought I was high.. According to him his dad taught him that the numbers on the turrets indicated yards. 1-100, 2-200, 3-300, 4-400, etc.

Here's a good site for calculating what you need
Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator

Here's a great thread to learn everything you need
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...1-ring-height-info-how-measure-correctly.html

so here it goes after my CHEAP scope (if it can even be called a scope) ate itself last week I am pulling the trigger on a Viper PST tomorrow. But I need some advice on rings and maybe a new base to go with it. I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to measure
rings with the rail that's on this rifle now.

View attachment 7605

SO any advice or help would be appreciated. I was thinking The Vortex precision rings just really stuck on the height.

Hah!... That's funny,... I never thought about the turret numbers = 100-yard increments,... but I can see how someone uninformed might leap to that conclusion. It doesn't surprise me,... Whenever I shoot on the public side at Kenmore range I'm amazed at the naivete of some shooters, but I guess we were all there once, i.e. resting the barrel (not the fore-end of the stock) on sandbags and wondering why it doesn't seem to shoot. The other month a guy was there with a pretty sweet AR10 and was trying to dial in his new BSA scope (only the best for this guy): a simple elevation/windage setup with no parallax adjustment,... When I looked at it, I saw that he had turned the elevation turret to the LEFT hand side, so the windage was on the TOP,... He said that didn't like adjusting windage with his trigger-hand, so he thought he'd just adjust it 90-degrees,... I just smiled and didn't get into the limitations of elevation vs. windage travel in most scopes,... for all I knew, the BSA's would do it just fine,... HAH!,... 5-shots later I asked how it was going (he hadn't been able to hit paper at 100) and he said it didn't seem to be working. I said I'd help, remounted his scope, dialed it in with my boresighter, and two shots later he was in the black...

Ry

Steepdiver, in the sticky threads of scopes, Glen posted this, I pretty much use it and it works
Ring Height Questions
You also need to take into account the barrel size and the height of the action to the barrel.
To make it easy,
40mm or less - low rings all the time
50mm obj - low rings on < 5 contour
Medium rings > #5 and up (strait barrel get med high)
56mm obj Medium on < 5 contour (sometimes med high)
Medium high on sendero contour
High on >7 contour
34mm...
50mm objective - lows will work all the time
56mm objective - lows < sendero or #5 contour Sometimes lows will fit number 7 contour barrels, but it depends on how long the shank is after the smith installed it.
Highs for sure anything larger than #7
This is assuming our ring height and our rail height. Also using buttler creek caps.
So with my Rem 700 with varmint contour barrel, I am using Glens 20 moa base and his 30mm low rings with my 50mm objective scope, plenty of room, on my other Rem 700, again rem varmint contour, I am using Glens 20moa base and his 34mm low rings with my 56mm objective scope, Glens as in Glen Seekins, also the maker of Vortex branded rings. What base are you using now?

I have the large long monster that came on the Savage 10ba. That is were my problem has been. Had I had a normal base I could have made the calculation easy. Guess the right answer may be a new base. Though I do like the looks of whats on there now. So I am prob making the shift to function over form now.

From what I have measured it is a flat 0 moa base. so I am looking for options now. Badger looks good but costly. was looking at seekins but cant find one in stock. So the search continues. Always hard to find what you want should have the new glass in 2-4 weeks (or so that's what vortex tells me).

He may have been using a BDC reticle and the turrets are actually marked 200, 300, etc. They're still asked for a LOT and I have to try and explain how that only works if you're using the exact rifle and cartridge they're designed for.

I love my vortex, I ended up going eith their match rings as well (medium) my 20 moa base is a cheaper one I bought off midway. It had great reviews so I gave it a shot, bedded the base using the JB weld method and have no complaints.

I need to start practicing my positions more, but these were from prone at 425 5 shots I threw the 5th into the head unfortunately.

A BIG thanks to JCSteel for getting these to me (I still blame you guys for my addiction to it though) Just thought I'd make sure you know I'm staying practiced up for when I get back. Hopefully getting better know how Alan likes to make us all look terrible with some of those stages. Looks like the last few matches have been great though!

Last edited:
I'll wonder if the guy who thought the numbers on turrets meant ranges, extrapolated from the old iron sights on Garands and M14/M1A elevation turrets. With those, after zeroing the rifle and properly setting the left dial, the numbers actually DID get you very close (if not right on) at the distance on the dial.

To bad i couldn't make it down there to see you guys in action, sounds like you guys had fun. I tested out some 175 smk out of my 700, got about .75 to 1.0 moa. More trigger time and some better glass is needed though.

Are the base screw holes standard or 8-40

The screw holes in mine are for a #6 screw. If Mr. Fed-Ex is fast and doesn't get lost on the way to grandmas house might have rings and scope by the end of the week. Received an email today that it shipped this afternoon. Man am I excited, I think this is the best glass I have ever owned. I think now I am going to wait on the new base and see just how this mounts up. all calculations say it will work but its going to be very close. If not then I will get a 20 moa base.

Who in the match Video has the savage with the detachable mag. Is it a CDI and if so, what is your opinion of it.

Who in the match Video has the savage with the detachable mag. Is it a CDI and if so, what is your opinion of it.

I'm not him, but ran a CDI on my Savage before I switched to a chassis. Did the job just fine (or as well as the mags you use allow, anyway). His inlet job was very nice (and fast) too.

I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP in the MOA configuration. I also ordered a set of medium Precision Matched Rings (PMR's). And it all shipped today. So hopfully mounted Fri or early Sat, then off to the range for Sight-in and ammo chrony. Guess I better learn to shoot, I am running out of excusses really fast....LOL

I was running a Savage 10FP in a Manners stock and CDI bottom metal. I really like the way that the CDI is set up. Very easy to load, drop mags and it uses standard AI or Accurate mags. The only problem I had with it actually turned out to be the feed lips of the magazines. I ended up bending the leading edges out slightly and they run flawlessly now.

I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP in the MOA configuration. I also ordered a set of medium Precision Matched Rings (PMR's). And it all shipped today. So hopfully mounted Fri or early Sat, then off to the range for Sight-in and ammo chrony. Guess I better learn to shoot, I am running out of excusses really fast....LOL

thats my exact setup!! you wond be disapointed i love my PST and the rings are top notch!! good choice buddy

I think they are the same rings if your are actual Vortex rings. According to the guy I spoke to they are made by sekins for them.

I have to give a big thanks to JD from High Speed Shooting Systems. He took a good chunk of time out of his busy day to go out of his way and meet up with me. I bought a pair of the spike feet for the atlas bipod. To us at the Kettle Falls match this last weekend and have to say I'm very impressed with the change from the rubber feet on my atlas to these spike feet. They helped me out in a few stages where the rain made for a very slippery surface. Again a big thank you to JD go taking the time and going the extra mile.

Guys would anyone have or know where I would be able to obtain some IMR 4831 or if there is such an animal IMR 4831sc.
Marty

The AC radiator in my 2002 Durango developed a pinhole leak, and now I'm without AC. When I got it diagnosed, the mechanic put in a quick charge that lasted a month or two, but he said getting it fixed would run about $500. Does anyone know about a decent mechanic in the Tacoma/Gig Harbor area who can do this work? Or does anyone have any better ideas of a cheaper way to get this fixed?

The AC radiator in my 2002 Durango developed a pinhole leak, and now I'm without AC. When I got it diagnosed, the mechanic put in a quick charge that lasted a month or two, but he said getting it fixed would run about $500. Does anyone know about a decent mechanic in the Tacoma/Gig Harbor area who can do this work? Or does anyone have any better ideas of a cheaper way to get this fixed?

My brother is a mechanic and lives around Tacoma. If you want me to I can give him a call and try to get him to check it out?