• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Had fun shooting with a few friends today. Thanks _Broke_, Ssat68, Unknown and James for the good time. The weather was much better today with very little wind, even though it kept shifting directions. It was kind of impressive to see _Broke_ make hits at 905 yards with factory 77gr .223 ammo out of his AR!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. Hope to see you all soon.

Kevin

It was nice to get out again. Everytime I go shooting it reminds me just how much I enjoy the hobby and the company kept.

I'll second that. The only downside of shooting with you guys is that I come home and immediately start shopping for new gear. It's always cool to meet local shooters; hope to do it again soon.

I'm sure you never experienced such a thing - you are too careful and exacting. Never one to push the limits. ;-)

Experience is a great teacher if we live through it. Fortunately, the lessons learned there usually stick with us for a long while.
I have learned lots of stuff by experience. However a Judge in a courtroom once said something that stuck with me...a defendant kept trying to talk over the judge...the Judge said: "You never learn anything when you are talking, you only learn while you are listening." It took me a while to have that really sink it, but I think it was one of those wisdom things that was worth my remembering.

I am lucky enough to hang out with people worth listening to, and learning from.

All right guys after looking at the calender and the JC steel match dates, I will have a Vantage 2 day match Feb 8-9. Please pass this along to anyone that wants practice before the JC match. I'm gonna make it easy for registration, just shoot me an email: [email protected] include how many people and your shirt size please.
I will keep this open till around the 6th of Jan and have confirmations out around the 10th. The price will be $100 for the 2 day shoot.
Thanks,
Chris

So, after months of being told not to worry about the coming January and that my hours were secure at work I came in the day after Christmas to find my hours along with everyone else are cut in half and nothing more than a "Sorry". If anyone knows of any decent companies in the area hiring please pm me. I'll be taking my EMT National Certification test on the 6th, so once I pass I'll also be a Licensed EMT which is always a benefit to have on staff. I'm still hoping to go to the Fire 1 Academy in February, but unless I secure steady employment that's willing to work with me a bit it's not plausible.

Make sure you also get a Washington state EMT cert or you won't be able to work here until you do. Go here.

Make sure you also get a Washington state EMT cert or you won't be able to work here until you do. Go here.

Thanks Taylor. I'll ask CKFR where I volunteer to help me with that once I pass the National. My instructor never mentioned that so it's good to know.

Folks,

Just completed Scott Satterlees two day training course and learned a lot. I am also looking forward to one of his pistol classes. We are fortunate to have such an experienced trainer locally - no need to look further.

Ed

Folks,

Just completed Scott Satterlees two day training course and learned a lot. I am also looking forward to one of his pistol classes. We are fortunate to have such an experienced trainer locally - no need to look further.

Ed

Scott shoots pistols? Next thing you know he'll know how to shoot one of them AR-15's... :p

Folks,

Ed

I stopped by the range today and saw a little bit of Scott's class. These guys were making some impressive hits after just a few hours with Scott. I think I should have taken a class from Scott (might have saved me on some ammo). Those of you that took the class will be much more of a threat at the matches now!

I shot pistols with Scott a few months back and I learned quite a bit. I recommend taking his class and learning what you can from him while you can! I know I learned a bunch!

Last edited:
Those of you that took the class will be much more of a threat at the matches now!

Yes - you can call me the Terminator.

Seriously though, there were some things that he noticed about me that I would have never figured out by myself. I told Scott that I got my money's worth in the first hour of class. Everything else was gravy.

I'm sure you have all heard why shooting dot drills is better than shooting groups? I heard that too, but all I knew is that I sucked at dot drills so I always went back and shot groups. In class I saw how repeated errors show up as patterns in the dot drills. I saw how I was making a particular error consistently (or was consistently bad) and sure enough it was showing up in the dot drills. I learned what to look for.

Last edited:
I was also at Scott's 2-day course, had fun and learned a lot. I also appreciate that he tailored the instruction and content to our level and on the areas that the students wanted to focus on, with a significant portion particularly on how to sharpen our match-game. For now, I have a whole punch list of things I need to work on during my practice sessions to keep improving. I wouldn't say I'm "a threat", I would just say I hope I suck less.

Just an update on the Feb 8-9 Vantage match, the longest stage will be around 1100 yds and I still have plenty of openings! I will keep taking guys till we hit 30 shooters. This time I'm gonna set the COF up differently so we shouldn't have any waiting between stations... Famous last words! :)
There will be a prize table again and I'm working on getting sponsors. The prizes will be distributed the same as the last match, 1st-5th and then random draw. I like doing it that way as then everyone has a chance to get something. I'm only gonna have weak hand on the tire, but it will be unsupported by anything other than the tire and your 2 feet! I'm gonna do a rapid movement stage but I think you will be shooting from barricades then moving to an advantageous shooting position to hit the next target. The cal limit will again be 300 wm.
questions/concerns just let me know!
Chris

kinda a long ways TN is!
I am assuming he put on a course around the area?
T

PTS used to operate out of TN but Scott is now stationed at Lewis-McChord. If you'd like to call him I can pm you his phone number.

Would anyone need or look forward to a ride down to the 4th of Jan UNSC Match? Hoping to save someone the drive and hassle. Thanks and see you all their!

I'm going to the match...but no surprise there. If Joe is still coming, we usually stop at the Original pancake house on the way, but I have to be there early, because we start setting up the range about 07:15 which means leaving the pancake house about 06:45.

In any case, I'll see you all out there.

Just checked the Kettle Falls thread and it said noon on the 5th.
Marty do you suffer from premature registration ? ;)

Heck i thought it was the 5th, had so much fun today out at Eatonville, thanks for Antons and Kevin's hard work, its just a great match a and I enjoy it so much.

I can't remember the guys name so I'll ask here. I need a good gunsmith locally (Puget Sound Area) who can convert a Sig 229 DAK to a DA/SA for a friend of mine. Suggestions? Hopefully when I see the name I'll remember, lol.

Ed, Steve and Kelly
Thank you for the kind words I enjoyed shooting with you guys on the 26-27. The improvement was pretty dramatic. Dot drills really suck but they give us a ton of information. Working on our our strengths doesn't yield the quickest returns. It's good to here you guys talk about how you are going to practice in the future. That is probably the number one take away from any block of instruction.
The pistol class is on the 20th out at UNSC cost is 100 for members and 125 for non members. You will shoot around 500 rounds in 7 hours and work from the ground up, slow aimed fire though the draw stroke and multiple target engagements. We will lecture a bit on defense concepts but focus on the mechanics of pistol shooting. My class is set up to handle all competency levels in the same class.
I have talked the board into letting us work from the holster and shoot faster than 1 shot per second for the class, so it will not be lame.
IF you are interested contact me at [email protected]

Ed, Steve and Kelly
Thank you for the kind words I enjoyed shooting with you guys on the 26-27. The improvement was pretty dramatic. Dot drills really suck but they give us a ton of information. Working on our our strengths doesn't yield the quickest returns. It's good to here you guys talk about how you are going to practice in the future. That is probably the number one take away from any block of instruction.
The pistol class is on the 20th out at UNSC cost is 100 for members and 125 for non members. You will shoot around 500 rounds in 7 hours and work from the ground up, slow aimed fire though the draw stroke and multiple target engagements. We will lecture a bit on defense concepts but focus on the mechanics of pistol shooting. My class is set up to handle all competency levels in the same class.
I have talked the board into letting us work from the holster and shoot faster than 1 shot per second for the class, so it will not be lame.

Scott, I had a great two days shooting with you guys as well. It was a great intro class and I hope to attend the next match in February. I would like to attend the pistol class but I can't make the one on the 20th so hopefully you have more in the future. As far as the lilliwap shoot Saturday may be a no go for me but any other day should work.

Thanks again,
Kelly

Ed, Steve and Kelly

I'll see you at the pistol class.

Your class and the dot drills got me thinking that I should do more rimfire practice as the lack of recoil unmasks all sorts of bad habits. I have an Anshutz 1813 that I picked up in Germany over 20 years ago (was not that difficult to do legally and as a bonus no import marks!). While it's a heavy single shot 3 position rifle, it will be particularly handy for practicing unsupported positions. Also cheaper to shoot and allows me to stretch certain scarce components like H4350.

Ed,
I think you could find a stud that would work on the rail in order to mount a Bipod. Rim fire is a great way to practice. Plus your follow through has to be perfect and prolonged. When I shoot 50' indoor or 50 yard outdoor it seems like the bullet takes for ever to get down the barrel.

Ssatt68,
I left my Gore-tex jacket in your vehicle last week...this week, I left it in Joe's vehicle after the match. I fear the beginning of a pattern that ends up with me being minus my custom Gore-tex parka.

Ed,
I think you could find a stud that would work on the rail in order to mount a Bipod. Rim fire is a great way to practice. Plus your follow through has to be perfect and prolonged. When I shoot 50' indoor or 50 yard outdoor it seems like the bullet takes for ever to get down the barrel.

I have the stud which works very well with a Harris bipod, but shooting bipod prone can be a challenge given the shape of the stock. With a sling no problem.

I also got the conversion kit from Champion Shooting supply so I can mount a traditional scope on the rifle (versus the 25x Lyman target spot scope I have now). The Lyman scope is great for prone though and looks really cool. It's a 1940s vintage that I picked up in high school from an old shooter who has long since passed.

Last edited:
A couple questions about the unsc match. What is the typical round count, and is it better to run a ten round mags? Also wondering if anyone has an action wrench that will work on a left hand rem 700 they would be willing to loan out, I just need to take a barrel off.

A couple questions about the unsc match. What is the typical round count, and is it better to run a ten round mags? Also wondering if anyone has an action wrench that will work on a left hand rem 700 they would be willing to loan out, I just need to take a barrel off.

The round count will be 50-60. You don't need 10 round mags but they do help.