• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Most of the private timberland leases don't allow target shooting. I looked at the Green Diamond and Port Blakely leases. Both specifically say no target shooting. Hunting, camping, etc was fine, but most didnt' allow firearms unless it was a legal big game season.

Most of the private timberland leases don't allow target shooting. I looked at the Green Diamond and Port Blakely leases. Both specifically say no target shooting. Hunting, camping, etc was fine, but most didnt' allow firearms unless it was a legal big game season.

Awhile back I was actually in negotiation with the Green Diamond Group trying to get us access. They said we could shoot on their land but only if we used all copper bullets and they wouldn't give us gate access. There was also some sort of permit fee for I think $200.

I still like the idea of asking the state for maps of areas where there is currently free access. But I'm not sure if they would even entertain providing that information.

Not going to happen and I explained it to you awhile back. Almost all accessible areas are clearly marked, but you want to know specifically vehicular access and they won't provide that with justifiable reason... It's constantly changing. There are numerous people with access and at any given time an area can get open and closed. If they told someone an area was open and then a contractor closed the gate then DNR would be on the hook and they're not going to take on that responsibility nor are they required to. We're allowed "access" to the land but nowhere is it required that it be vehicle access which is exactly what they say every time. And before you go there again... No you can not claim you're handicapped as an excuse to get special access.

-Nick-;2913822. We're allowed "access" to the land but nowhere is it required that it be vehicle access which is exactly what they say every time..[/QUOTE said:
What you are saying about the reason why they don't/won't say where/when gates are open/closed makes sense in an odd bureaucratic way. It is odd that on one of the state sites I went to, they had some restrictions about how people could access some portions of land. Some restrictions were no vehicles, or no horses, one even had restrictions about people using wagons. From all that, it would appear that as long as someone wants to hike in with all their gear, access can still be had. The problem would be that carrying in a rifle, water, ammo, lunch is one thing...carrying in steel targets and mounting systems in addition to all that stuff makes it very difficult.

I find the prospect of "rolling over" and not trying to find a way in more distasteful than trying to figure out a solution. It seems that even if access can be found, the state sometimes even does other things to thwart our hopes for use. As an example of that, I would point to the match a while back where coincidence would have it that a work party of some kind happened the same weekend as the match.

For now I'll yield further discussion about this to the rest of you.

What you are saying about the reason why they don't/won't say where/when gates are open/closed makes sense in an odd bureaucratic way. It is odd that on one of the state sites I went to, they had some restrictions about how people could access some portions of land. Some restrictions were no vehicles, or no horses, one even had restrictions about people using wagons. From all that, it would appear that as long as someone wants to hike in with all their gear, access can still be had. The problem would be that carrying in a rifle, water, ammo, lunch is one thing...carrying in steel targets and mounting systems in addition to all that stuff makes it very difficult.

I find the prospect of "rolling over" and not trying to find a way in more distasteful than trying to figure out a solution. It seems that even if access can be found, the state sometimes even does other things to thwart our hopes for use. As an example of that, I would point to the match a while back where coincidence would have it that a work party of some kind happened the same weekend as the match.

For now I'll yield further discussion about this to the rest of you.

No one said anything about rolling over. I'm telling people what I've already experienced in my efforts to spare anyone from wasting time chasing a dead avenue. Everyone wants to take a direct an easy road rather than come up with new ideas, and others want to play blame games and scream about their personal rights rather than find an actual solution. All I really care about is not having someone do something extremely retarded that makes the rest of us look unlawful and simply gives the government more reason.

In Oregon, these sorts of issues never seemed to come up, but this isn't Oregon.

Would the state provide maps of areas of public land that are NOT locked and have free access? That way, we could do most of the scouting on computers to save time.

I will join your party, yes this stuff is happening in OR all the time. We just lost our spot that we have been shooting at for years. We were shooting form BLM land to private timber. It was made very clear to us even though it was not gated, marked private or no shooting, we were told they would file charges next time.

We have been hunting and shooting there for 8 plus years.

Private timber HATES outdoors man and ODFW HATES hunters and Sportsman. I come from a timber family, my WHOLE family is in timber so I should be on their side, but even they feel its BS.

Now the state and USFS wants to shut down all the roads. Soon you will be limited to driving black top.

Just my $.02.

I hear ya. The USFS roads are almost without exception the only roads still open, & some of them are gated off after a few miles.

Willys46,
I can give you a bunch of places where you can shoot 3000 yards or more...but the drive will take you down near French Glenn and Fields, OR...

I was able to get some contact info from the ladies @ the DNR today. And I spoke to the manager briefly. She took my name, & # saying she would call me when her schedule allowed. None of them were unsympathetic. Not a bad start I think. Don't know where it will go but its a beginning.

Would the state provide maps of areas of public land that are NOT locked and have free access? That way, we could do most of the scouting on computers to save time.

This would be super helpful. I spent about a weeks worth of days chasing down spots I thought would be good based on a combination of google and bing satellite photos and most of them turned out to be gated.

Most frustrating were the ones that were gated and locked but clearly abandoned - eg small trees growing up in the middle of the road just past the gate.

We could setup google or bing maps for marking potential spots and then notes for ones we've checked out, and drop pins for locked gates, etc. If there's interest let me know.

One thing I have found at least twice - a supposedly locked gate that wasn't locked. In one case there was a note on the back of a sign saying "please close gate behind you".

So it's worth getting out of the car/truck to check.

This would be super helpful. I spent about a weeks worth of days chasing down spots I thought would be good based on a combination of google and bing satellite photos and most of them turned out to be gated.

Most frustrating were the ones that were gated and locked but clearly abandoned - eg small trees growing up in the middle of the road just past the gate.

We could setup google or bing maps for marking potential spots and then notes for ones we've checked out, and drop pins for locked gates, etc. If there's interest let me know.

One thing I have found at least twice - a supposedly locked gate that wasn't locked. In one case there was a note on the back of a sign saying "please close gate behind you".

The "abandoned" roads are decommissioned roads that the state doesn't want to pay to "maintain" and by putting the gate up it takes the liability off of the state to maintain the road. It's a weird deal. Our BLM is messed up. Just passing on what I know.

If a gates open be weary of going in. They can get locked at any time and you would end up stuck on the other side. Sometimes gates are opened because contractor employees or timber estimators are in the field doing work and when they leave they lock the gate.

As for the remainder. You guys will likely have to do what was done earlier by myself with others which is take a map with both USFS and DNR roads and drive the areas of interest you see on Google Earth. We highlighted each road we drove so we didn't repeat the same area twice and marked possible areas of interest. You also need the maps so you can know if there's possible roadways or trails (Abandoned or not) between you and the target area.

Add: And don't forget to bring a rangefinder and GPS marker.

Last edited:
If a gates open be weary of going in. They can get locked at any time and you would end up stuck on the other side. Sometimes gates are opened because contractor employees or timber estimators are in the field doing work and when they leave they lock the gate.

In both cases I found the gates were old logging gates that had been converted for use by locals to keep passers-by out.

But yeah, I'm always worried about getting locked in as well.

I have found a few like that as well. Going back, I've found some to have been left open for several years. Unfortunately most of those potential spots would require a lot of work to open shooting lanes, etc. & probably wouldn't be worth it in the end.
I did get a voice mail last evening from one of the district managers. Unfortunately he must have called while I was in Costco. His message did say he would try to call again today.
I'm going to try to convince them to allow us access to some areas that will suit out purpose behind locked gates so we can set up, & shoot unobserved by the rest of the general public to stop the wannabe copycats from witnessing our shooting, & trying it themselves. Hopefully...

In both cases I found the gates were old logging gates that had been converted for use by locals to keep passers-by out.

But yeah, I'm always worried about getting locked in as well.

I'd be even more leery then. If you start hearing banjo music... just saying. lol...

Has anyone else noticed that some of the above quotes are being attributed to the wrong people? The info is correct, but the source for the original comment is wrong.

I have some powder I dont need if anyone here can use it. Both are unopened.

$100 each
5lb of Reloader 19
5lb of Reloader 25 -- SPF TO DIBBS

Trades -
DPMS name brand ar10 10rd mags
XDS mags
Hornady 140bthp or 140amaxs
Factory 65creedmoor 140amax ammo
22lr

Will be at Chris's match in February at Vantage or I live around Cle Elum if you would like to come pick it up.

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread. I'm regularly heading out to try and discover a few new spots. My old spot in Jefferson co off HWY104 was gated off back in October. Me and my son recently explored from Quilecene to Brinnon in the Olympic forest off 101. Most FSR's turned out nothing, too dense vegetation. I'm gonna head further south to Shelton, then start back up HWY3. If I get lucky, I'll post up where and GPS location. I'd like to meet some local people into LRS.

I also tried DNR and private timber co's, none would cooperate, dead ends.

Brian.

Glad I found this thread. I'm regularly heading out to try and discover a few new spots. My old spot in Jefferson co off HWY104 was gated off back in October. Me and my son recently explored from Quilecene to Brinnon in the Olympic forest off 101. Most FSR's turned out nothing, too dense vegetation. I'm gonna head further south to Shelton, then start back up HWY3. If I get lucky, I'll post up where and GPS location. I'd like to meet some local people into LRS.

I also tried DNR and private timber co's, none would cooperate, dead ends.

Brian.

I've explored the areas North of Shelton on Hwy 3 heading into Belfair EXTENSIVELY along with most of Mason County. Most of it is Timber Management company controlled and the few areas that aren't are inaccessible except by foot. If you want to you can see me at work on the few days I do work and I can show you on a map the areas I've already hit and try to save you some time/gas to explore new areas.

Their are spots scattered down 104South from 101. I just fear too many people using them/showing others/getting trashed then closed like that gravel pit on 101.

Yeah, the one good spot off Dabob Rd, Off Center Rd exit,104 was gated off mid October. It got trashed.

Rayoneer(spelled correctly?) owns timber lands. Just before the power lines just before Brinnon, southbound 101, you can walk in. I called them, the red dot on the sign means no vehicles. But locals do drive in. I'd rather not trust it. The gate is open, but the sign still clearly states(lady on the phone too) walk in only, shooting is allowed.

One area out there, couple hundred yds, didn't range it. Usually, shooting parallel with power lines is a no-no, but you could get out to 600? 10 degree up hill with a good backstop. Just have to watch where one rd inlets under the lines.

Nick, I'd love to see where you've already checked out! I do know all of North Mason is posted everywhere. Tahuya to Hood Canal, Northshore RD, all of that.

UPDATE ON LIST: Russ in Gig Harbor officially retired and closed shop a couple weeks ago. I'll miss the guy.

Last edited:
Anyone here going to Jakes match as an RO? I am offering to give a ride or to split gas going that way for the match... I'll be looking to leave Thursday to shoot Friday, then RO Sat and Sun.

2014 2nd Annual Matt Karstetter Memorial Match, Wilbur WA

Sure most have seen this on the tactical competition thread but just incase... quite a number of shooters from the West side participated last year.

As last year, this match is designed to encourage new shooter participation with generous targets and distances out to 1200 yards. This year we are incorporating some pistol and gas-gun stages to mix things up. A round count for weapon each system will be determined at a later date. We will have some gas-guns and pistols available for those who are not equipped so don’t let that discourage your registration, although we encourage you to bring something you are comfortable with. Contributions will once again be donated to the memorial scholarship fund for the children that Matt left behind.

Match Location / Date.
The match is scheduled for June 14th, 2014. Specific locations for the match will be given to the attending shooters once they have registered and the match gets closer.

Match Fee’s.
The Match fees will be $155.00 USD per shooter. Included in this price is a post-match tri tip barbeque and T-shirt.

Match registration & Sign In.
This year’s registration will be on a first come first served basis over the internet utilizing the store at In Motion Targets :: Home. This is the registration website, however, if shooters have any questions please contact the match director @ [email protected] We will have a limited number of slots available.

Only those who have made a prior arrangement will be allowed to register the day of the event. This is a “charity” shoot and no refunds will be given. Failure to sign in will result in a forfeiture of your entry fee which in turn will be an additional donation.

Accommodations.
Dry camp sites available.
Hotels / Motels.- The match will be held near Wilbur, WA. Hotel spaces are limited. Grand Coulee is approximately 30 miles from the match site.

Caliber & Other Restrictions.
This match will be limited to .300 win mag and lower.

Round Count
TBD.

Squad Movement.
All shooters will be organized in to squads prior to the match beginning. The RSO will instruct the teams where their next shooting station is and when they are cleared to move to that station. This will be done in order to keep track of all teams to ensure the safety of all involved in the match.

Prizes.
Plaques will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

We look forward to seeing you there! Last year we had a good turn out and the shooters enjoyed themselves and the barbeque afterwards. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Attachments

• 2014 Memorial T-Shirts.jpg
    2014 Memorial T-Shirts.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 27
^ What kind of carbine/pistol shooting will it be? Are we using the carbine like a mini-precision-rifle and handgun for stationary shooting or is it more of an "action" style run-and-gun with the carbine/pistol?

^ What kind of carbine/pistol shooting will it be? Are we using the carbine like a mini-precision-rifle and handgun for stationary shooting or is it more of an "action" style run-and-gun with the carbine/pistol?

Still developing stages but more like engage pistol targets, run to new firing position to engage with bolt. Gas and pistol will be similar style but different barricades.

It is primarily a bolt gun match and will likely be 1 stage each for pistol and gas.

Like last year there will be a separate pistol match, that will be scored separately from the bolt match,at the end of the primary

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Still developing stages but more like engage pistol targets, run to new firing position to engage with bolt. Gas and pistol will be similar style but different barricades.

It is primarily a bolt gun match and will likely be 1 stage each for pistol and gas.

Like last year there will be a separate pistol match, that will be scored separately from the bolt match,at the end of the primary

Though the pistol match is scored separately, is it still considered part of the "main" match? I'm cool with anything, but I'd love to see as much carbine/pistol as possible mixed in too! :)

Though the pistol match is scored separately, is it still considered part of the "main" match? I'm cool with anything, but I'd love to see as much carbine/pistol as possible mixed in too!

In a sense. I have seen matches where shooters have boloed the bolt gun stages and heroed the pistol and ended up winning the match, which I don't think is completely fair. So I typically run both and score seperately. This year each will be scored separately to determine a winner and then there will also be an overall match winner.

Pistol worked out great last year. The guy, who in his honor this match is held, was a phenominal shooter and enjoyed coaching/ encouraging new people into the sport. We are trying to slowly phase more run & gun, pistol/ gas into it but the problem is that not everybody is setup for it and quite frankly we lost a few shooters last year because they didn't have a pistol and misunderstood how little it would be used.

Though the pistol match is scored separately, is it still considered part of the "main" match? I'm cool with anything, but I'd love to see as much carbine/pistol as possible mixed in too!

In a sense. I have seen matches where shooters have boloed the bolt gun stages and heroed the pistol and ended up winning the match, which I don't think is completely fair. So I typically run both and score seperately. This year each will be scored separately to determine a winner and then there will also be an overall match winner.

Pistol worked out great last year. The guy, who in his honor this match is held, was a phenominal shooter and enjoyed coaching/ encouraging new people into the sport. We are trying to slowly phase more run & gun, pistol/ gas into it but the problem is that not everybody is setup for it and quite frankly we lost a few shooters last year because they didn't have a pistol and misunderstood how little it would be used.

No worries. I think both myself and my dad are signing up. I've shot a lot of run-and-gun stuff, but the carbine/pistol stuff will be new to him as far as competitive stuff goes. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun for both of us.

So I take it 338RUM is out since the match is restricted to 300WM? :( Does sound like fun! I've never competed. But my first will hopefully be at UNSC next month.

So I take it 338RUM is out since the match is restricted to 300WM? :( Does sound like fun! I've never competed. But my first will hopefully be at UNSC next month.

Ya sorry! Anything more than a .300wm beats up the lighter steel we use up close too badly.

Matches are addicting and a lot of fun!

No worries. I think both myself and my dad are signing up. I've shot a lot of run-and-gun stuff, but the carbine/pistol stuff will be new to him as far as competitive stuff goes. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun for both of us.

Look forward to having you! I smoke about 12 tri tip while you guys are shooting and have some other sides and beverages following the match.

The grub last year was absolutely delicious and plenty of it. Worth the price of entry alone.

Diesel, I can understand that. I'm hoping to build a 6XC here soon. Maybe catch you guys on the next match. My 204 just won't get out there far enough and throat erosion is catching up to me, onto barrel #3! I might even order the XC barrel and change my bolt face and run the action i have now just to get in the game faster.

Nick, I'll drop by your work Sunday and check out some maps!

Yes I plan to be there. After shooting all day, I only remember the food and drink as heavenly.

Make it Monday or Tuesday. I just found out my hours are changing again so they have someone to do all the lifting... :mad:

Will do. Probably Monday. I was thinking, you might have been the one that talked me into the hard leather holster for my 1911...about 3 months ago? I was complaining about the soft Uncle Mikes getting too sloppy with age. If that was you, thank you! Way more comfortable than I thought it would be. And holds my Kimber solid.

Just a heads up for the local WA crew, 3forks in Cle elum has 5 Forster coaxe presses. I know they have been hard to come by.

509-674-2295 $289

Guys if you didn't get out to the 1st Matt Karstetter memorial match get out to the second. Truly a great location, it was well run and lots of fun for all those who participated, and more important it was for a worthy cause.

Guys if you didn't get out to the 1st Matt Karstetter memorial match get out to the second. Truly a great location, it was well run and lots of fun for all those who participated, and more important it was for a worthy cause.

This +1!!!

You going to be at this match Marty? My dad and I have signed up. Now I just need to get him to practice with his pistol and carbine.

Thought I'd post new gun shop locations in my area for people who aren't aware yet. Not sure if they have been posted up yet;

Fred Meyer in Port Orchard off Sedgwick Exit is now selling arms, ammo and a pretty good selection of shooting supplies, similar to WalMart. Was just in there today and was quite surprised!
Also, next to Fred Meyer, a small recently new gun shop opened, I haven't checked it out yet.
DGS in Silverdale has been open for a little while. Small shop, not much inventory last time I was in there. Next to Silverdale Transmission and Westbay/Napa Auto parts
Webbing spray paint for camo paint jobs, Michaels in Silverdale has it. No one in PO stocks it.

Thought I'd post new gun shop locations in my area for people who aren't aware yet. Not sure if they have been posted up yet;

Fred Meyer in Port Orchard off Sedgwick Exit is now selling arms, ammo and a pretty good selection of shooting supplies, similar to WalMart. Was just in there today and was quite surprised!
Also, next to Fred Meyer, a small recently new gun shop opened, I haven't checked it out yet.
DGS in Silverdale has been open for a little while. Small shop, not much inventory last time I was in there. Next to Silverdale Transmission and Westbay/Napa Auto parts
Webbing spray paint for camo paint jobs, Michaels in Silverdale has it. No one in PO stocks it.

About DSG... Caveat Emptor. The place next to Fred Meyer has been open as long as the Silverdale location and is another DSG also. They've been here a little under a year and I've seen them send people out of there with Eotechs on backwards, and one person they even told them there was no reason to zero the rifle and that the BUIS/Eotech were GTG... let's just say his shots would have been about 3' high and 2' to the right of where ever the BUIS were. Their prices are also not exactly discount. I'm not a fan of my own work place either because of the way they treat their employees, but at least their prices are reasonable. Hell, even the manager of the Silverdale location still buys out-of-house a lot of stuff because they don't get much of a discount and we're still cheaper.

I'll be at the memorial match again this year. For those who think they don't have the right rifle, last year a fifteen year old girl finished in the middle of the pack with an AR. It's a great first match to learn what you need/want in a rifle and gear.

My back up rifle is a savage 10 308 in a Manners T4 if anyone brings a new shooter that needs to borrow a rifle let me know.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Funny you say that Nick... A guy showed up at KRRC a few weeks ago and DGS put the magnifier in front of the EoTech. I stopped by there a few months ago and asked a few questions. They had no idea what a switchview or a 40MOA rail was. But then again... I had to explain the same to the guys at Borners in gorst. Are Switchviews that new no one really knows what it is? Everyone says "oh thats cool" when I explain it to them.

I do agree, you guys beat everyone prices and its nice to have a decent selection of mops, jags, shell holders pilots...ect... just PLEASE! Get a butt load of Varget and 231 in! LOL.