• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pump or Semi- 870, 11-87 (1100)

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Looking to get back into the game after a long haiatus and am seeking another shotty. Possibly 3-gun games but definately for transitional training and home room broom.
870's are kind of a no brainer, but yet the 11-87 or 1100 "tacticools" have piqued my interest. Like the gas guns, but not messed with 'em much.

On a side note, has anyone played with the new FN semi shotguns?

Edumacate me...

Re: Pump or Semi- 870, 11-87 (1100)

Well I am primarily a pump guy, but I had a benneli. The benneli is the BEST semi auto shotgun I have ever used. The only reason I sold mine was because I did not use it often enough to operate it flawlessly from my end.

you see lots of 1100's in 3-gun.

For a tactical shotgun I prefer the simplicity and reliability of the 870, but I love my 1100 too. I keep mine pretty stock. It's just an 18.5" barrel, +2 factory tube and wood stocks.

Unless you shoot in a 3-gun class that limits you to pump you are going to get your butt kicked. I am fast on a pump, but unless I shoot the "heavy metal" class here I can't run with the guys on the semi's. Watching some of them is purely amazing.

I am selling an 1100 for a friend, with a timney trigger group on this site cheap.its a trap -t trapshooters gun.

I also have an 11-87 sps that ill never part with.I have had it for like 5 years, and never one malfunction.

DAFAR,
Similiar history with a Benelli, but I also had malfunctions with lighter loads and they did'nt like to be dirty. Although, if I could find an older HK Benelli that held a shell on the carrier (Benelli sneak) I would probably try to wrangle one.
Gassers to me seem the way to go with less complicated manual of arms under stress.
Maintenence issues with 11-87 or 1100 and how dirty will the run? Upgrades?

Thanks for the info guys!

Forty-One,
That'ed sure be the ticket, but in my financial world I've usually gotta give something up to get something else!

I've had 3 pump guns in 12 guage. 2 Rem 870s and a Mossberg 500A. They are all well worth the money they cost. I have also had 2 Rem 1100s. For normal shooting / hunting, any of the pump guns will work. But for any kind of extended shooting the Rem 1100 is the easiest shooting shotgun I have ever shot. I had 2 extra barrels for one of the 1100s. A slug barrel with rifle sights and the other a vented or "comp" barrel to hold dead on for rapid second shots.

I have been out of the 3 gun game for several years, so I can't give good info on the newer models.

I try to buy the best I can afford. But I also know that that isn't always going to happen.

Good luck with your choices.

Got 870's and 1100's both will do fine for a home defense gun or a hunting rig. I have a 870 set-up for home defense and turkey hunting just change out choke tubes. I have the 1100 with a 28" (i think) barrel and am looking for a 20 vent rib in OD to make a range/home defense gun out of it. I also have a Win. 1300 all synentic with could be turned in to a good HD gun.

Check this one out 11-87.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1187157#Post1187157

nice build!

for a home defense gun i definately vote pump, with forend light all the way, for three gun i definately vote hi cap semi. if i could only own one i would stick with my semi. keep it relatively clean, lubed and feed it quality shells for defense and your good to go.

good luck with the decision

josh

Considering my past (limited) experiance has been with semi's and the feed back here i'll probably start sitting on the sale forum for a while and see what comes through. I'll have to unload some stuff first. Price is considerably more than pumpers.

But then again for the cost of a semi shotgun with upgrades I could fall into another AR. Wait a minute, I didn't say that...

For self defense, I would stake my life on a Rem 870 modified by Vang Comp. Theirs is a patented barrell which tightens the pattern and is ported for reduced recoil and allow for faster follow up shots. Other necessary mod.'s include 2 or 3 round mag extension, hi-power spring and hi-vis follower, big dome safety, side saddle, tritium front site, Surefire light mounted on the fore end and a sling.
LonewolfUSMC is right. If you want to do 3gun, you must have a semi to be competitive.
I've tried the Benelli and it can be picky with light loads.
The FN SLP MK II totally rocks in 3 gun.
It is fast and reliable and hold 8+1.
With practice you can do some amazing things. This will be my 1st full season with the FN so I will see how reliable it is after another 1000 rounds.

Blackstone,
Will be glad to hear what happens with the FN and how it performs. Not seen one in person yet, but will do a touchy feely tomorrow with one if I get a chance.

My own most respected personally owned shotgun is a Charles Daly 20ga semi.

Compatible with Remchoke tubes; with an extended rifled choke it puts 7/8 oz cheapo Rem Slugger rifled slugs into a smaller-than-palm-sized pattern at 20-25yd, and slings 20-some #4 buck 22 cal-ish pellets per trigger squeeze into a swarm that will engulf three perps standing close together at arguing distance.

Add to this some good manners that make it an attractive defensive weapon to my Wimmenfolks, and I got all the shotty I really feel a need for.

Price? A mere bagatelle, favorably comparable to an 870...

Greg

The FN is a great shotgun it is one of the fastest cycling shotguns made. But very expensive. although 870,11-87 are great dont forget the bennelli nova or M2 for a reasonable purchase.

Shoot what fits you best. For me it's an 1187. After 9 years, 6 of hard shooting
3 of moderate, I got my first FTF. Never had it apart before to clean it other than
pulling the barrel. The trigger and hammer were so packed with plastic from pieces
of the wads blowing through the gas system they could hardly be moved. I would
say a minimum of 2 thousand rounds. Some trap and lots of hunting. Amazing
guns.

The 870 is a great shotgun and can be shot incredibly fast by someone with some trigger time. Head to head standing up they are very close speed wise to a semi auto. The semi auto really shines in 3-Gun when you have prone, kneeling or oddball stages. The S/A will whoop up on the pump in this case.

If you're going to use an S/A for 3-Gun you need to make sure it will work with lighter loads. Most guys use 3 or 3 1/4 dram loads with 1 or 1 1/8oz shot charges. Many S/A's won't shoot this without modification. Most of the Remmy's being used in three gun had the gas ports drilled out.

Home defense? The sound of an 870 (or Model 37) is unmistakable -- it says "you have now reached Defcon 1..." to any intruders.

But, if 3-gun is your ultimate game (with Home defense being it's sidejob), I'm in the S/A camp as well. It really depends on how competitive you plan to be and what division you plan to shoot. I see plenty of guys doing just fine with pumps and it's a reasonable starting point -- you won't be competing for HOA though.
Benellis seem to reign in popularity currently although there are many 1100/1187s in action in the 3-gun sport.
I'm an Open guy so having a BennyHill worked M2, Nordic 11 round mag tube, Arrendondo speedloader chute, a comp, Jpoint dot, 8-rnd speedloaders, etc. seems natural.
Clearly not the best home defense gun though as it would be a nightmare to defend in court. I guess I'll keep my old, scratched up 870 for that.

For 3-gun recommendations, check out the wealth on info on Brian Enos's site, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=49

As always, some good points here, IMHO, I believe LoneWolf and Hannibal are spot on. Some other things to consider.... A game gun is probably not the best gun with which to protect the home. My game guns (1100's) are tuned lighter, do not have lights and have different sights (no night sights). The 1100 runs better when it is a bit dirty. If you clean your 1100 especially if it is a game gun, shoot it a bit and gum it back up to get better gas handling. The 11-87 will go from skeet to slug to buck to 3" duckload shot after shot after shot. The 1100 is not quite as flexible.

The long and short for my shootsguns...

1100 Game gun
11-87 hunting
Benelli M4 Outside Home protection
870 Inside home protection

Buy an 870 and play the game with it. You will improve your scattergun shooting while haviing a viable means of protecting the homestead. I in no way mean this to sound condescending, but if you cannot afford 2 shootsguns, you will probably not be in the top 5 for the USPSA 3 gun this year so the slower times with a pumper wont matter. Buy a good 870, learn to shoot it and grow from there.

My $ .02

Everyone should learn on a pump and have at least one 870.