• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors QD v. Tread-on Suppressors

jstrong

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
I initially thought a QD suppressor was the obvious choice, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Another consideration I have is I want a 12-15" rail with an 8.5" barrel. It seems like some of the QD models require a turn of a ring at the base of the suppressor, which wouldn't be accessible with the long rail.

Do you have to do anything special to attach a regular thread-on suppressor other than screw it on hand tight?

Thanks

20-20 hindsight I would have gone with thread-on. My AAC 762-SDN-6 is a QD and I think I may be having trouble maintaining a good mount, seems to drop occasionally. Or I could just suck, but I advise thread-on...and yes, you just screw it on hand tight. Not too tight, not too loose...check it occasionally as long as you don't burn your hands off. I guess that's what suppressor covers are good for, too.

Oh, careful not to cross-thread. I think I would invest in a thread protector if I were to get a thread-on in the future. Distant future from the looks of the Form 4 wait times.

Do you have to do anything special to attach a regular thread-on suppressor other than screw it on hand tight?

generally no, they just thread right on, or off.

Another consideration I have is I want a 12-15" rail with an 8.5" barrel. It seems like some of the QD models require a turn of a ring at the base of the suppressor, which wouldn't be accessible with the long rail.

In this application I'd be thinking thread on. Some of the QD setups have a button, or release you need to press to unscrew from the QD mount. Also you'll need to choose a suppressor carefully so it fits inside the rail's dimensions. Not all rail makers inside dimension is a round hole measure, it is usually from flat of rail to flat of rail.

Thanks for the advice. How about the thunder beast brake attach suppressors? It looks like they just thread on, right? Or is there a button or something on those too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all QD mounts are created equal. AAC's in particular has its share of problems. I wouldn't let another AAC disappointment story dissuade you from a QD can. My four QD suppressors all have minimal POI shift on 10+ guns, and it's always very consistent.

That said, I'm thinking about getting a direct thread 30 cal Thunderbeast can, just for variety's sake.

Thanks for the advice. How about the thunder beast brake attach suppressors? It looks like they just thread on, right? Or is there a button or something on those too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ThunderBeast BA models aren't a true "quick detach" but more of a "fast thread" option, and yes, they simply thread on with less likely hood of cross threading.

What caliber SBR? On any common center fire except 300 Blackout you're going to need to run a can built to hold up to use with an 8.5 inch barrel. That will rule out titanium suppressors.

What caliber SBR? On any common center fire except 300 Blackout you're going to need to run a can built to hold up to use with an 8.5 inch barrel. That will rule out titanium suppressors.

I'm planning on going 300 blackout for the sbr, but would like to use the same can on a 16" barrel for .223. Could I use a titanium suppressor that way?

You won't have a problem with 16 inch as long as you're not firing at really high rates of fire. With a precision optic mirage will get too bad before the suppressor gets too hot. As long as you don't do mag dump after mag dump you should be fine.

I was going through the same thing, 10.5" 300blk, 14.5 and 16 5.56 and sometimes 308 gas gun.
I ordered the surefire 762 mini, its the same size as the full size 5.56 can but with a 308 aperture.
Ill let you know in 9 months.
I'm planning on going 300 blackout for the sbr, but would like to use the same can on a 16" barrel for .223. Could I use a titanium suppressor that way?