• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Query on Zeiss vs S&B in lowlight

Finn55

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Hello SH community,
I will be brief.
Question 1: How different are the Zeiss 6-24x72 and S&B 5-25x56 when it comes to lowlight conditions?

Knowledge: Specifications state similar twilight factors and identical light transmission.
Zeiss glass has FL technology, apparently boosting lowlight performance.
Pricing is similar, ~$5,000 AUD.

I understand other scope brands to be excellent as well, and read a great deal of positive feedback regarding USO and NF.
I haven't found a USO distributor in Australia and their website has errors and broken links.

I'm looking for members with first hand experience with either or both.

Thankyou in advance,

Finn

Re: Query on Zeiss vs S&B in lowlight

I have had both and if low light is what you are after get the Zeiss 6x24x72.Not only will it be better in low light it will be much easier to use when you crank up the power.

Typically the bigger objective lens and the bigger the tube lets more light be picked up and come thru the scope.

I have the Zeiss 72mm. It aperture is more than that of many spotting scopes. The lenses are obviously well coated and the tube well baffled. When looking through the Zeiss as the sun gradually sets, the image is still as bright as mid day for other scopes.

The purpose of FL is to reduce chromatic abberation and thus resoluion, not directly improve low light performance.