• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Redding competition shell holders

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
Looking at them, they're all "+" meaning if you raise the ram and tighten the die down to where it's touching, and that headspace is larger than what you're looking for, these won't help. Is that a correct assessment?

Just to clarify, and these are relatively random numbers, doing the above, I'd get a HS of 1.066 but I WANT 1.076. Assuming the Redding shell holders are not going to help.

You set the die to correctly locate the shoulder when sizing. Then you swap in shell holders that are higher topped than the standard holder so that the die hits the shell holder for solid contact every time.

In your example the +.010 would (should) give you exactly that 1.076 if your getting 1.066 with a normal (+.000) shell holder. Basically if your oversizing your brass and want less shoulder bump then the bigger the number on the shell holder then the less it bumps the shoulder.

I looked at these shell holders and concluded that they won't help in most situations. It just adds to the confusion. If your die gets put in place and never moved again, then maybe. Other than that you will have a slightly different die orientation every time you set up.

If you use the same shell holder each time is one thing to keep consistent. The other key factor is having a reliable way to measure progress.

I personally concluded that accurately measuring is a lot more valuable (and a better investment) than trying to get a shortcut with an expensive set of shell holders.

No. The shell holders are meant to decrease headspace. The + is how much more you can size your brass, in case your chamber is smaller than the die. If you want to increase the headspace, simply unscrew the die some.

No. The shell holders are meant to decrease headspace. The + is how much more you can size your brass, in case your chamber is smaller than the die. If you want to increase the headspace, simply unscrew the die some.
I guess I’m wrong about this and they’re designed to add headspace. I’ll have to look at mine again when I get home. What’s weird is I’m pretty sure more than half of my set was shorter than my standard RCBS holder.

I do use Hornady's comparator for shoulder and ogive and am addicted to measuring. Was just wondering if there was a reliable, repeatable way to get the same head space that didn't involve screwing in/unscrewing the die to set head space. Doesn't sound like there is.

If it works like spife says it would below, assuming that would add a bit of consistency to the headspacing process or no? I currently get a batch, out of say 1,000, that'll be off by a thousandth or two and have been lubing the die every 20 or 30 rounds from the top as I don't use the expander ball. Using the RCBS rock chucker press.

I'm really striving for consistency as I use a Geraud trimmer which goes off the shoulder when trimming.
You set the die to correctly locate the shoulder when sizing. Then you swap in shell holders that are higher topped than the standard holder so that the die hits the shell holder for solid contact every time.

I think they work pretty well at maintaining consistency, IME having some cam over with the comp shell holders is more consistent then having the sizer screwed up off of a
shell holder.

The biggest advantage to me is when your loading for different rifles with the same dies and not having to adjust dies every time. I just write down in my loading book what # shell holder for that particular rifle/barrel and never move my dies.

They aren’t perfect, on one of my sets the +.002 and +.004 are more like .004 apart so In one of my 22-250’s my options are .001 or .005 of bump and in one of my other sets the +.010 is more like +.013 but it works good with some belted mags.

Anyone know how the shell holders fit into a Dillon 650? or a Forester single stage? I am guessing they dont from looking at the presses but they would be handy if they did.

Tks

Beating a dead Horse here but, for those who are still confused on how these Comp shell holders work, the standard deck height of a shell holder is .125". It is from the deck (where the base of the case sits, to the top of the shell holder).

The Comp shell holders lowers the deck height, in .002" increments giving longer datum to base numbers. So, from a .125" standard shell holder, The Comp shell holders go +.002"= .127", +.004= .129", +.006= .031", +.008= .133" and +.010= .135".

The deck is lowered, NOT the top of the shell holder, that remains the same so you get the same top of the shell holder to the bottom of the die contact.

You see how that works in the video in post #6.

If you have a die that will not give you SAAMI minimum at full cam over, the Comp shell holders will not work for you.

On one of my F/L dies, I can set SAAMI minimum with the +.006" shell holder. I'm then able to have .004" on either side of the +.006". This works for me with different brass and for brass that has been annealed, I can adjust shoulder bump without having to move the die.

With the #1 set Comp shell holders, I reload for 4-308 rifles, 260 Rem., 30/06, 270 Win. and 338/06. These shell holders give me flexibility with all of those cartridges.

Last year, I had an issue with a F/L die that wouldn't size down to SAAMI minimum. I sent the die back to the Mfg. who skimmed the die .009". When I got the die back, it worked fine. You can also sand down a regular S/H also.

I think someone already mentioned that there's no manufacturer that makes shell holders that that decreases the TOP of the shell holder.

Last edited:
Reactions: BassinDmax