• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question out of plain curiosity...who currently has the USMC SSDS contract.

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Just getting back into shooting again but as I was listening to the Precision Rifle Media podcast episode with Tangent Theta it raised the question in my mind. With Premier no longer around who is supplying the Marines or did they get a sufficient quantity of SB and Premier scopes that its simply not an issue?

Like I said listening to the podcast sparked the question in my mind if TT is in the mix as well.

If nobody gets to you, shoot me a PM in a day, got a Brother who is an instructor. He will know.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I'm also wondering who's got it, and I too was wondering the exact same thing about TT.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

I recently got out and I know that we were starting to slowly get rid of the Schmidt & Benders and started putting the Premier scopes on the rifles. There was no new contract that I'm aware of.

When I see USMC M110's I see a lot of Premier 3-15 Heritage. Ive seen few pics of an A5 with the Premier.

Premier is great but its an orphan, the company is dead.

A6 pictures seem to all show S&B SSDS.

With use, attrition of the scopes, I think USMC will have a decision to make.

Hopefully the CMP will get the 8541 marked scopes.

Things are a bit fuzzy but if I recall part of the SB deal was PR had to supply reticles and assemble in VA to meet compliance. Was thinking perhaps TT might have inherited service obligation kinda like USO did with the Unertle's. But with TT not being in US that dosnt seem likely unless they have a US service center.

None of this is relavant as a recreational enthusiast but its interesting.

Anything TT did for Premier was through the goodness of the hearts and mainly to support Premier users that bought from "them" when the remaining stock was sold off. They had no obligation to Premier products, they only bought the engineering........as I understand the muddied details. Some vendors may have "over sold" TT's obligation to the Premier products.

The association between S&B/Premier that you mention is what I thought was the means to have an offshore supplier meet "Made in USA" requirements. Marty at Badger said the "USA" requirement can be waived if there is no US equivalent, that how the EFR Rails for the A3/A5 were sourced from Canada.

If the SSDS contract is written up like most procurement contracts "authorizes to buy up to 300,000 units" than its possible the USMC could be buying S&B scopes for awhile.

IIRC correctly you have a good understanding of the Unertl/USO relationship was that "inherited" or was it more of a "maintenance" contract to support an item which the vendor no longer existed/