• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Questioning my local Class 3 dealers honesty, need input.

Crapshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Texas
Here's the deal.

My local class 3 dealer told me he sent my form 4/trust off January 27th. I marked it in my calendar.

However, my check wasn't cashed until April 2nd. Didn't think much of it at the time.

Now ~8 months later I'm starting to get impatient. So I call and check the status.

The atf rep woman told me they received my form APRIL 1ST, and I should expect it sometime in JANUARY!?

I go to my dealer thinking he just sat on my stuff for an extra 2 months, he tells me he sent it when he said and he'll call and check what happened. This was Friday.

Today he text me

"They called me back today after I left two messages. The woman I talked to said Atlanta may have received it in January, but the WV office didn't get it till April 1st & they didn't process it till April 21st. She also said Atlanta is using contract people instead of the normal NFA staff."

I've never heard about this type of thing before, has anyone else?

Mine sat in a queue for 2 months before they cashed the check...It happens to us all.

I never got an explanation but, that sounds reasonable. Couldn't tell you if that was BS or not but, sent mine in December -- Check was cashed in Feb.

I appreciate it that, most all checks that I'm aware of (90%+) are cashed within 10 days, looks like some may slip through the cracks and tack on an additional 2 months to an already incredibly long wait.

If the atf woman is correct, I will have waited 1 full year for my first tax stamp.

Either way I want to blame someone

My checks have always been cashed within two weeks of sending the paperwork in. However, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a 30 day delay. I'm not sure I'd call BS on the dealer just yet. While it seems long it unfortunately does not seem that long.

If anything you're going to be more pissed you didn't get 2 suppressors. You should see how long some of the guys here have waited for their suppressors from a group buy. Some had newborn children that went off to graduate college.

My checks have always been cashed within two weeks of sending the paperwork in. However, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a 30 day delay. I'm not sure I'd call BS on the dealer just yet. While it seems long it unfortunately does not seem that long.

I've heard of 30 day gap between sending off paperwork to the check being cashed, rare it seems but possible.

60+ days on the other hand, has only happened twice I'm aware of, to me and to Masked.

If anything you're going to be more pissed you didn't get 2 suppressors. You should see how long some of the guys here have waited for their suppressors from a group buy. Some had newborn children that went off to graduate college.

That's disheartening.

That's disheartening.

Lol, no man. I'm not saying you're going to wait that long. I'm just saying that waiting until the end of time is just the nature of this business. A year is max, I waited 9 months but I also am an anal retentive person so I sent off my trust and all the forms necessary instead of having my dealer do it.

"Questioning my local Class 3 dealers honesty" I remember one year at Knob Creek where this guy was told he was getting an IMI Uzi and he got a Group Industries registered bolt gun converted by someone from the original Planet of the Apes movie...He was pissed. Walking up and down the line...showing the gun and the form 4 to anyone who would look. His quote was along the lines of "it jams every 3-4 rounds but I am going to get a couple off in his ass before it jams again"

I read your thread and expected the unscrupulous dealer had recovered and was up to his old tricks....

Here's the deal.

My local class 3 dealer told me he sent my form 4/trust off January 27th. I marked it in my calendar.

However, my check wasn't cashed until April 2nd. Didn't think much of it at the time.

Now ~8 months later I'm starting to get impatient. So I call and check the status.

The atf rep woman told me they received my form APRIL 1ST, and I should expect it sometime in JANUARY!?

I go to my dealer thinking he just sat on my stuff for an extra 2 months, he tells me he sent it when he said and he'll call and check what happened. This was Friday.

Today he text me

"They called me back today after I left two messages. The woman I talked to said Atlanta may have received it in January, but the WV office didn't get it till April 1st & they didn't process it till April 21st. She also said Atlanta is using contract people instead of the normal NFA staff."

I've never heard about this type of thing before, has anyone else?

Which dealer?

Was this a dealer in Carrollton, now closed? With a West Texas store barely open? I paid with credit card in March. Dealer said they paid NFA with check in May. NFA said "pending" on Sep 28 and probable approval next May. I'm mad as Hell, but somewhat relieved at the "pending". At least I know something now. Still don't know how much blame is due NFA and how much my local shop. Next time, Silencer Shop in Austin for me. And I'll send my own check to the NFA as well.

Same thing happened to me
it was 1 year and 15 days total time
It went pending April 14th (IIRC) and I got it end of September

I guess I'm not the only one questioning a local class 3 dealer...............I put a deposit down on a Thunderbeast 30P1 on May 29th 2014!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting, dealer claims ATF is the hold up. Next suppressor gets purchased from a dealer that has one in stock. I can hardly wait to see how long the form 4 will take

Kevin

Last month I received a copy of my form 4 from the nfa branch detailing an issue that needed correcting (small mistake on the trust's name).

Actually made me quite happy to see.

I went to my dealer with it and instead of waiting for the original copy to get to him (he received the original about 10 days later?) he had me fill out a new form 4 with the correction and sent it off maybe 2-4 days later.. Still wish he could have sent it off THAT DAY, maybe I'm asking to much i don't know.

Point is that my form 4 is most definitely in the works. No clue when I will see my stamp but.. my fingers are crossed..

I guess I'm not the only one questioning a local class 3 dealer...............I put a deposit down on a Thunderbeast 30P1 on May 29th 2014!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting, dealer claims ATF is the hold up. Next suppressor gets purchased from a dealer that has one in stock. I can hardly wait to see how long the form 4 will take

Kevin

me too just waited 60 days on a form 3. waiting to go to my dealer and see if they filed it when they said

this is why I SEND MY OWN PAPERWORK. i have no one to blame but me.

i also buy instate from a dealer that has it in stock.

too many horror stories floating around about dealers not sending the paperwork in a timely manor.

Live and learn.........what boils my goat the most is my in state dealer won't accept he's been busted in a flat out lie!!! Zak provided me the date my form 3 cleared (August 28th). Another call to the dealer asking what the issue is and he says don't believe the date given to me by Zak. OK, then what date did the form 3 clear I ask.........no answer but the good news is my suppressor will be in the shop in 2-4 weeks!! REALLY 2-4 weeks- after having a few kitties I ask why the delay if its already been approved since 8/28. Couldn't get a straight answer and my blood was beginning to boil......never again. Of course, at this rate this dealer probably won't be around much longer.

Kevin

Kevin

Live and learn.........what boils my goat the most is my in state dealer won't accept he's been busted in a flat out lie!!! Zak provided me the date my form 3 cleared (August 28th). Another call to the dealer asking what the issue is and he says don't believe the date given to me by Zak. OK, then what date did the form 3 clear I ask.........no answer but the good news is my suppressor will be in the shop in 2-4 weeks!! REALLY 2-4 weeks- after having a few kitties I ask why the delay if its already been approved since 8/28. Couldn't get a straight answer and my blood was beginning to boil......never again. Of course, at this rate this dealer probably won't be around much longer.

Kevin

Kevin

how far away is your dealer?

i had a similar issue, and this in state dealer was 6 hours away. i kept getting the run around during the initial purchase for the dealer to send me the paperwork so i could submit my F4 myself. that took 2 months to receive it on my end. "kept getting lost in the mail". then when it was finally approved, it took another 2 months to get my can. it's not like i can just drive across town and pop in and say "WTF". i gave it the 30 days the ATF has to send an approved F4, while still calling the dealer to double check every week. called after the 30 days, still "no record" of my F4. so i called the ATF, had to request a certified copy in writing; that took 2 weeksish. FINALLY have a copy of the approved F4. called the dealer to tell them i was coming the next day. on the phone i kept getting "blah blah blah but but but uh uh uh" or some BS about i can't do that. i said, "too bad, i'm leaving at 5 am and i'll see you at 11am with my certified copy of F4. if you have a problem, then i'll call the ATF when i get there". i show up, show my F4 after some grumbling and rolling of the eyes, they go in the back to get the can.......there is my original copy of the F4. i asked when they got it in. "oh, it's been here all along".

some times you are so pissed all you can do in laugh.

F-ing asshole! lol

Fortunately my dealer is only an hour away...........I guess I'll keep tweaking his nipples each week to keep him on track. Like I told him, I have much better things to do than to call him every week to make sure he's doing his job. But if thats what it takes, I'm retired so I've got all the time in the world to keep him honest.

Kevin

She also said Atlanta is using contract people instead of the normal NFA staff."

I'd love to hear more about this. Contract people for what? Additional processing capacity? I want this to be a good thing...

I called the NFA branch in regards to my form 1.
I was just nervous that I might not have filled it out correctly. I did a credit card transaction, which cleared just a few days after i mailed the form.
Lady told me that they wouldn't get the paperwork to begin processing until 5 months after the check cleared (she didn't ask payment method).

Where are you guys from? If your in Ga let me know I can handle all your supressor needs.

When you first mail the form 4's off it to bank of America. They take check out and mail the forms to the NFA. Then it's run thru what ever they do with it.

Just FYI my form 3's are 28 to 37 days
I just (yesterday) received a form 4 that was sent off last april, but last week I received one I sent off the first of June. So there is nothing uniform about getting them back .

I bought a LOT of stuff over the last year due to 41P. The closer it got to July, the longer they took to come back. Went from 4-6 months, never longer than 6, to now almost a year. If you sent it in January, they were still backlogged BIG TIME. I just got stamps back for one or two, don't know which, one was submitted the end of May or in June and the other was submitted a week post 41F. So that's about 10-11 months. I suspect they'll be back to 4-6 month wait times a few months after I get my post 41F can back. Or at least by the end of the year. There was a HUGE rush of orders all last year up to July, and then right before it all took place, a few big companies dumped a SHITLOAD of Form 4's on the ATF.

As for cashing late, I have never known when they've cashed the check. I'm assuming they do it within a week or so of opening it. But if you sent the Form 4 to the wrong address, and the check is cashed in another location, this could have slowed things down too.

Some unknowns here: WHERE did he send the Form 4, and WHICH Form 4 did he use? They've updated them a few times over the years, there was an update right before the latest update. IIRC, the place you mail some of these forms to changed --the address they are to sent to is on the form. And I'm assuming you sent the fingerprint cards, pictures, etc. for all the trustees.

When we first got suppressors, and then SBR's here, my dealer was prone to making small, clerical errors. I took to doing all my own paperwork, printing out the forms exactly how they want them and with my dealers info on it too. All he has to do is sign it and send it off. That way I have full control of the entire process and I know it's done properly and I have nobody to blame but myself. I highlight the place he signs with a highlight tab and paperclip all of it together appropriately, put his check on top, and have it all inside a Priority mailing envelope addressed to ATF. I make it easy on him, it saves him time, and I have full control. I think he mails out twice a week, but even if only once a week I see no problem. Hell, he could mail out daily for all I know. Never had a problem with my dealer in well over ten transactions.

But I'd take a second look at the place you sent it to and who/where you made the check out to and possibly which revision of Form 4 you used. What you dealer said about WV and GA made me wonder, but without pulling out all my documents I couldn't go into it further.

Do you gentlemen realize the original post was over three years ago and we hope he has received his suppressor?

Do you gentlemen realize the original post was over three years ago and we hope he has received his suppressor?

Yeah, and the nerve of that guy not updating his post! LOL, it happened quite a bit when we first moved back........................I was a victim........once!

Yes, I confess I was a victim too. That's why I hope no one takes offense at me pointing it out to others. To my embarrassment, I was attracted to a amazingly great deal in the PX shortly after we moved back.