• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

R700 round feeding issues

MrDrift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
SE Michigan
I just bought a new R700 SPS Tactical in .223. The problem I've been having is that when I go to close the bolt if the round in the magwell is on the left (I.E. Rounds 2 and 4) the bolt will pass right over it unless it stick my finger in there and wiggle it. Ran about 40 rounds through it and not one round from the left side has loaded on it's own. I'm also getting scratches down the length of the brass too. I've never had a problem like this on my other 700 though it's a center feed mag so I'm sure that's why. Any ideas?

Re: R700 round feeding issues

Sounds like the feed lip (furthest away from the ejection port) on the mag box needs to be straightened a smidge. This will allow the round to sit a little higher in the box so the bolt can catch it and send it into the chamber.

Smidge is my technical term for "a little bit".

If you go too much, just bend it back until it works.

I can see what's wrong, the round is rocked backwards slightly:

4531586015_4acdc4a728.jpg

It looks like the brass is being scratched by the bolt passing over it as well, which is why it's really bad on some rounds and not so bad on others.

4531598025_79b21602e7.jpg

My follower seems to also want to rock with the back down for some reason, which may be the cause?

4532950916_20699d7958.jpg

It seems like I can get it to work if I take the most extreme care in loading the rounds and making sure they are as far forward as I can get them, but that won't do for hunting where heat of the moment situations could cause me to miss a shot opportunity with this problem.

I had similar problem on my 7-08 with Amax's....the tip of the bullet can catch the underside of the feed lip and since it is round it kicks the round to the side and will not pop up high enough to be stripped out of the mag well.

Possibly your issue but a 223 should be feeding fine.

Here is my problem for reference:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1706878&page=1

Also be sure that you have a 223 follower and mag box.....223 has a spacer inside the mag box and the follower is shorter.

A 308 sized follower and mag box will fit into the rifle but will leaver room for the 223's to move around in the mag box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also be sure that you have a 223 follower and mag box.....223 has a spacer inside the mag box and the follower is shorter.

A 308 sized follower and mag box will fit into the rifle but will leaver room for the 223's to move around in the mag box. </div></div>

Yep, def a .223 setup, has the spacer and all.

I tried it some more, and even if I load the rounds forward, when the bolt passes over it while ejecting the previous round, it slides the next round back some and that's when it tips ass down and unless i slide it forward it stays cocked and the bolt will run right over it.