• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

range report ...300 berger at 2000 yards

mudvayne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Washington TX
Guys shot the 300 bergers today at 2000 yards...

Surgeon XL 338 Lapua
Schneider 9 twist pg
tubb break and level
McMillan A5
Near alpha mount(30 moa into the rings)
shot today with my LP MK4 16x since the S&B wont be here til friday...

Ill put up a pic tomorrow.

Dialed up 76.5 and had 17.5 right wind on. Hit on the 4th shot. Collected 2 slugs out of the ground within 7" of each other. first shot went high and right about a foot.

Re: range report ...300 berger at 2000 yards

here it is...
2k.jpg

Good shooting mate! And nice stick also. How fast are you pushing the Bergers?

91.5gr of h1000 gives me exactly 2800 fps. Shot 5 shots over the chrony and 2 shots read 2800 exactly and 3 read 2802. Didn't even have to do anymore development. That's always nice! Not to mention the shots printed .1 at 100 yards...

That's insane to even think of. We battle sight our tanks at 1200 meters :|

Very nice! Did you happen to have those Bergers already or were you able to find some in stock here recently?

Absolutely awesome, I wish there was somewhere around here to shoot 2,000.

I've had success using the Berger 300's at over 2k also, your load and rifle have a 100fps advantage over what I am able to crank out. Pretty happy with the Bergers at this point in time.

Well alls I can say is I wish this was my rifle. I built it for a client and tested it for him. As of now, I'm building a 338 Norma for myself. I hope to get the same performance out of mine. This rifle has a 30" tube so I didn't have to crunch powder with the reloads.

I got these bergers in about 3 months ago when the rifle was being built. They are incredible so far and based upon the drops I have got using the data off my kestrel 4k the g7 bc seems to be about .449 or in that area. I have shot in two different weather conditions and it seems to be an accurate bc out to 2000 yards. I'm not saying by any means that's what it is for certain, but it is working for me on this lot.

Phreakmode How far have you gone?

Good shooting and sweet rifle!!! A friend has a Surgeon and shoots the 300 Bergers as well.They do very well even at 2300Y.

Nice shooting!

Where are you shooting 2k yards at?

I have a 3000 yard range on my place. Its good for hog and coyote hunting too

I know that the 300 Berger is the way to go for those who has the right twist barrel. My friend has shot that out to 2400 yards with it. Unfortunately, for me, I need a new barrel to do that.

A 9.5 twist is probably enough right? Also alittle off topic but I haven't decided what powder I should use H1000 or Retumbo? I have a 30in Barrel.

Ya, a 9.5tw will stabilize the 300 Berger fine. I have a 9.4tw 30" Rock barrel on order and I specifically asked them about the Berger. I also bought an 8 pound jug of both H1000 and Retumbo figuring that one of them would work. I've seen loads using both so just figure out what your rifle likes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 3000 yard range on my place. Its good for hog and coyote hunting too </div></div>

Damn, can I come over and shoot?!
laugh.gif

Nice shooting, wonder how those bergers would shoot in.my edge. Just got it last week, it has a 30" with 1 in 10 twist.

This barrel is a 9" twist at 30". I shoot 91.5 gr of h1000 and it shoots exactly 2800 fps with es in the low single digits. Unbelievable accuracy at 100 yards. It literally put the first 5 shots at .18 and that was during break in. I have put 5 shots at 1000 under 5" with this rifle last week. I wish it was mine..Im building myself a 338 norma that should be done in 2 weeks or so. I cant wait. I am doing a 9.3" twist in it. It will have a 30" as well.

Verdugo, yes your rifle should handle this bullet with a 10 twist. Im friends with Tubb and he shoots this bullet with a 10 twist in his 338 norma.

Sorry guys, I teach long range shooting and cant have the place open to the public. I just do classes.

Chase

tired the link , it says Sorry, the site you requested has been disabled

Thanks for the update. I will tell my gunsmith that it is down. Thursday is supposed to be calm for the most part and will try for 2500. Keep you informed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 3000 yard range on my place. Its good for hog and coyote hunting too</div></div>

sounds like you need a spotter..............we'll be there to help shortly, got cold beer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thursday is supposed to be calm for the most part and will try for 2500. Keep you informed. </div></div>

Looking forward to this!

Bolt Ripper, I set my Swaro spotting scope up next to me and shoot, transition to the spotting scope and still have about 2 seconds to look for splash at this distance..Every now and then though it is nice to have a spotter. Winds are gusty but hope they lay down this evening

RIfles like these that make me want to do a .338Lapua build. Too bad western PA has no place to even think about shooting that distance.

Well of course yesterday was absolutely PERFECT to shoot 2500. With the exception they had 4 tractors in the field planting who knows what!!! Talk about being pissed off! That ruined that attempt. And of course today the wind is back to 20-30mph. Even if the wind would stay under 15 i would go for it.

I'm a little late to this party but are these the new Berger Gen 2 300's or the original Gen 1 300's ???

Gen 1's. They shoot great in this stick but I do have Gen 2 on back order. Just got a Premier Ret her. 5-25x56 gen 2x. Should give me more than enough dope with mutch better glass. Anyone want to buy a MK4 16x now??

There are a few Berger Gen 2's out and about so I was curious which you were using. Thanks

Great shooting!
I still have yet to try the 300 Bergers. I'm looking forward to it.

Ya 7.62 Jim has yet to produce a rifle that has not been 1/4 min shooter. He has built a whole lot for me and my clients and the 6.5x47 is just stupid accurate. Just got my Premier Ret Heritage for it last week. Looks pretty clean. Connected a cold bore shot with it today at 1455 yards

Have you been able to take it out to 2500 yet?

Had 300 berger out to 2400, wasn't ideal, at 2235 had three hits in a row... once i got on target
couldn't do it w/ scenars

Mudvayne, I just got a tmr leupy on my edge and shot it this week. With no break in I shot a .18" group at 100. Very pleased with the Carlock standard load of 92.5 grs of h1000 and 300 smk's.

Haven't chronied yet but should be around 2825 fps. For comparison with my smk load I need 75 moa at 2000 and you are probably a lot closer to sea level than me.(3000 ft here)

I haven't checked my real world dope on this yet, taking it to an extreme distance competition this weekend at my range and will be shooting to 2000. Will post results after.

JTG, you mentioned scenars and the new vld's no one can get what about the 300 grain smk? My ballistic calculator for 338 edge shows it going transonic around 2250 if memory serves....

Any of you get your hands on the new Gen 2 300's yet? I know there are some out there floating around. Curious as to how they compare to the orignal Gen 1 300's.

The way I understand it is the new Gen 2 300 will be the only 300gr Berger makes from now on. I don't think they are going to make both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 and if you really like how the Gen 1 shoots in your rifle you will want to get all you can now cause whatever is out there is all there is ever going to be of the Gen 1 version.

Boy am I gonna get on horn with my dealers..get those on order... I've been lookin for long range 338 performers... and mabe wonder over to Surgeon and have a little talk bout a new baby.!!!

One of the interesting things about the new Berger Gen 2 300 is they are about 15thou shorter than the Gen 1 but still have the same G1 .818 BC Hmmmmm....

The one thing the new Gen 2 doesn't appear to have though that Gen 1 did is a velocity ceiling. Guys are shooting the new Gen 2 3300fps + and haveing no issues.

3300 fps in a 300gr!!!??? Wow! Know what powder is being used? Has anyone used US869?

That 3400fps is out of the 338-408cheytac improved chamberings shooting somewhere around 150grains of H-50BMG

US869 works really well with the 300gr bullets out of the 338 Lapua Improved. Not so great with the lighter bullets but works well with the heavies.

Has anyone shoot these out of the Savage BA 110's? If so how did they perform?

I have not got my gen 2's in yet. I did order some cutting edge projos last week for my 338 norma...cant wait to hammer some pigs with that! I ordered the 252's after talking with them. they will be shot single feed, as I did anyhow. Kirby is doing pretty dang good things with his 338 from what im reading with the gen 2's. If he can keep together with his cannon then I think they can handle anything. Personally I would run lathe cut bullets in a 338 allen but thats just me. Or maybe some rocky mountain 325's...

Got my cutting edge projos in today...should be interesting. I am training for another competition though and will likely wait til after its over to shoot them